This sounds rather drastic, right? Well here are some reasons why the mobile site is frankly sucks and should be removed.
- It's butt ugly. Think about it in the eyes of a newcomer on their phone. They find out about Neocodex through the internet with promises of great Neopets cheats, and they click the link on Google... and they get this default mobile site. No distinctive logo, no download link, just looks like a crude forum.
- Information at a glance. Compare these two screenshots from the home page:
Mobile site:SpoilerFull site:SpoilerThe mobile site is missing a lot of information, namely the forum blurb, last topic posted, poster, and date posted. When one is casually browsing the site, this contextual information is critical in deciding to make a post; on the mobile site, it would take twice the page loads to achieve the same information, and possibly more if one stumbled upon a forum with no topics of interest.
- Missing functionality. The mobile site is unable to access: status updates, polls, multi quote, and everyone's favorite, reputation. These are pretty big aspects of forums that are left out!
- Glitches. On iOS's Safari, trying to switch to the full version while not in the home page is impossible. An annoyance to iOS users.
- Possibly the most important reason: alternate themes. Advanced (and up) ranked members are granted access to other skins besides the default blue forum skin. However, when one has an alternate theme set and accesses Neocodex on mobile, switching back to the desktop skin means the default blue theme takes over. This is a major annoyance for those that want to use a different skin and stay on that different skin.
- Upgrade to IP.Board 4.0 and get rid of the mobile theme as well. IP.Board 4.0 is better suited for mobile devices without having to rely on a separate mobile theme.
- Find a way for users to set a custom default theme on mobile/desktop. This function may or may not be available on IP.Board 3.4.8 though
TL;DR pls do something about mobile site it sucks