• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,913 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:06 PM

This sounds rather drastic, right? Well here are some reasons why the mobile site is frankly sucks and should be removed.

• It's butt ugly. Think about it in the eyes of a newcomer on their phone. They find out about Neocodex through the internet with promises of great Neopets cheats, and they click the link on Google... and they get this default mobile site. No distinctive logo, no download link, just looks like a crude forum.  
  • Information at a glance. Compare these two screenshots from the home page: 
    Mobile site:
    Spoiler
    Full site:
    Spoiler
    The mobile site is missing a lot of information, namely the forum blurb, last topic posted, poster, and date posted. When one is casually browsing the site, this contextual information is critical in deciding to make a post; on the mobile site, it would take twice the page loads to achieve the same information, and possibly more if one stumbled upon a forum with no topics of interest.
  • Missing functionality. The mobile site is unable to access: status updates, polls, multi quote, and everyone's favorite, reputation. These are pretty big aspects of forums that are left out!
  • Glitches. On iOS's Safari, trying to switch to the full version while not in the home page is impossible. An annoyance to iOS users.
  • Possibly the most important reason: alternate themes. Advanced (and up) ranked members are granted access to other skins besides the default blue forum skin. However, when one has an alternate theme set and accesses Neocodex on mobile, switching back to the desktop skin means the default blue theme takes over. This is a major annoyance for those that want to use a different skin and stay on that different skin.

Other solutions:

• Upgrade to IP.Board 4.0 and get rid of the mobile theme as well. IP.Board 4.0 is better suited for mobile devices without having to rely on a separate mobile theme.
  • Find a way for users to set a custom default theme on mobile/desktop. This function may or may not be available on IP.Board 3.4.8 though

TL;DR pls do something about mobile site it sucks

#2 Rocket

Rocket
  • Ginger Snapped

• 6,995 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:13 PM

I hate it and never use it! I don't think we should get rid of it as it seems several people use it regularly. Just ignore it if you don't like it, like I do.

#3 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9,012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:24 PM

Yeah no. I like it and refuse to browse on the main site while on my phone unless I absolutely have to.

#4 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4,433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:24 PM

mobile site loads faster and i use it sometimes for convenience. but other than that, yeah it kinda sucks. what irks me is that there's no way to upvote someone's post using mobile site. we have to switch to ip:board to do so.

i suggest adding this bad boy to our mobile site just like our rival site:

b6USG1I.jpg

#5 Swar

Swar
  • com muito orgulho, com muito amor <3

• 9,089 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:26 PM

Yeah no. I like it and refuse to browse on the main site while on my phone unless I absolutely have to.

You were the first person to come to mind when I saw the topic :p

I don't think it should be removed. People use it (proof right here), just change to desktop version if you don't, it's not that hard!

#6 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9,012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:26 PM

i suggest adding this bad boy to our mobile site just like our rival site:

Ugh the amount of posts I'll rep because my finger slipped will be tremendous.

Some kind of additional confirmation window would be nice if we did that.

#7 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1,975 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:28 PM

I hate it when on my mobile. I wish it wasn't automatic after like an hour of being afk. You have to reload the whole page, and if you were on a thread you have to go find the thread again after switching from mobile to normal. >_>

#8 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9,012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:29 PM

I hate it when on my mobile. I wish it wasn't automatic after like an hour of being afk. You have to reload the whole page, and if you were on a thread you have to go find the thread again after switching from mobile to normal. >_>

Copy the page URL and paste it after the switch? Simply hit back on your phone until you're back to the thread? Open up a new codex tab, switch, and refresh the other tab?

#9 Rocket

Rocket
  • Ginger Snapped

• 6,995 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:31 PM

Ugh the amount of posts I'll rep because my finger slipped will be tremendous.

Some kind of additional confirmation window would be nice if we did that.

it's so smal  on mobile that it almost never happens

#10 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1,975 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:31 PM

Copy the page URL and paste it after the switch? Simply hit back on your phone until you're back to the thread? Open up a new codex tab, switch, and refresh the other tab?

And still there is the hassle when you are on your mobile that you waste extra time when you can't just change the site theme on that thread. It is just broken.

#11 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9,012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:36 PM

it's so smal  on mobile that it almost never happens

Even on the mobile theme? My phone screen is pretty big (for me) and I seem to touch the screen and it clicks something halfway across from where I wanted to.

And still there is the hassle when you are on your mobile that you waste extra time when you can't just change the site theme on that thread. It is just broken.

I'll agree it's a tad annoying having to navigate to the home page, but it's not detrimental enough that we should completely remove the theme.

#12 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6,350 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:38 PM

Use the Chrome app, you scrub. 

#13 Rocket

Rocket
  • Ginger Snapped

• 6,995 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:39 PM

Even on the mobile theme? My phone screen is pretty big (for me) and I seem to touch the screen and it clicks something halfway across from where I wanted to.

I meant on the full web-browser setting on your mobile phone/tablet whatnot. I often have a hard time clicking upvote and takes several tries if/when I want to do it. Same with closing out pop-ups like messages when I get them, the "x" is so small lol

#14 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9,012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:40 PM

I meant on the full web-browser setting on your mobile phone/tablet whatnot. I often have a hard time clicking upvote and takes several tries if/when I want to do it. Same with closing out pop-ups like messages when I get them, the "x" is so small lol

Well luckily I don't have that problem ( :p), but @Fikri suggested a +rep button or like button or whatever for the mobile site.

#15 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 3,607 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

There are some annoying aspects with the mobile version, such as viewing statuses which involves going to a special page and shit. But it's not so bad. 

#16 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,913 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:51 PM

I hate it and never use it! I don't think we should get rid of it as it seems several people use it regularly. Just ignore it if you don't like it, like I do.

But does mean I have to change the theme twice every time I go on mobile? Mobile -> default -> luminous

#17 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9,012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:52 PM

But does mean I have to change the theme twice every time I go on mobile? Mobile -> default -> luminous

giphy.gif

#18 Rocket

Rocket
  • Ginger Snapped

• 6,995 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:54 PM

Why does it switch back? The only time it switches back to mobile is when I clear my history (once in a blue moon). Other than that, I forget it's even there.

#19 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,913 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:57 PM

Why does it switch back? The only time it switches back to mobile is when I clear my history (once in a blue moon). Other than that, I forget it's even there.

It's stupid iOS I think. Even if I request the desktop site, it forgets and loads up the mobile site the next day even if I leave the tab alone.

#20 Rocket

Rocket
  • Ginger Snapped

• 6,995 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:59 PM

It's stupid iOS I think. Even if I request the desktop site, it forgets and loads up the mobile site the next day even if I leave the tab alone.

Ahh well I suggest like @Kelvin said, use the chrome app or another browser?

Another +1 for Android methinks ;)

#21 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9,012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:00 PM

Desktop site doesn't work since it's set to the specific theme and not just detecting a mobile browser. I tested it just now on my superior Chinese phone so obviously it won't for cheap American knock offs.

Maybe try a better browser?

#22 blue

blue
  • doge

• 2,047 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:34 PM

Yeah, I've abandoned the Mobile theme because it is trash.

But, my phone remembers that I'm on Blue Bohegeha so just keep it and fix it up since others use it.

Possibly the most important reason: alternate themes. Advanced (and up) ranked members are granted access to other skins besides the default blue forum skin. However, when one has an alternate theme set and accesses Neocodex on mobile, switching back to the desktop skin means the default blue theme takes over.

The default theme is white, isn't it?

-snip-

+1 for Yoona :)

#23 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1,035 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:43 PM

I don't like the mobile part. Its clunky and any time i've used it, i've had to switch to desktop anyway. My phone is easy to see the whole site anyway on desktop version 

BUT ... I have to continually always change to desktop version EVEN if I'm using chrome xD

Maybe there is a way to design a mobile version?

#24 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25,516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:58 PM

The whole point of the mobile theme is that it uses a lot less data, you can't have all the functionality of the full site without the data so it does have a purpose.

#25 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1,657 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:27 PM

I have never even considered coming to this site on my phone/tablet, so this doesn't matter to me, but cello-dude brings up good points and everyone is attacking him like he is some silly reed instrument. So here is some +rep. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users