43 replies to this topic

#26 Swar

Swar
  • com muito orgulho, com muito amor <3

• 9,066 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:25 PM

it was really recent too! Just a few minutes after my initial post lol

I just realized that they took down the React World video too, I thought it was just the update :0 I wanna see if they'll just pretend it never happened lol

#27 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:26 PM

How do you even recover after that massive PR slip? The internet is very unforgiving.

#28 Swar

Swar

• 9,066 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:31 PM

https://medium.com/@...1777#.tdqpd1ck6

Hello,
We’re here to apologize.
We realize we built a system that could easily be used for wrong. We are fixing that. The reality that trademarks like these could be used to theoretically give companies (including ours) the power to police and control online video is a valid concern, and though we can assert our intentions are pure, there’s no way to prove them.
We have decided to do the following:
1. Rescind all of our “React” trademarks and applications.*
2. Discontinue the React World program.
3. Release all past Content ID claims.**
The concerns people have about React World are understandable, and that people see a link between that and our past video takedowns, but those were mistakes from an earlier time. It makes perfect sense for people to distrust our motives here, but we are confident that our actions will speak louder than these words moving forward.
This has been a hard week. Our plan is to keep making great content with the help of our amazing staff. Thank you for your time and for hearing us out.
Sincerely,
Benny and Rafi Fine
*This includes “React,” “Kids React,” “Elders React,” “Lyric Breakdown,” etc. Please note: It takes a while for the databases to update, but the necessary paperwork has been filed.
**Content ID is YouTube’s copyright system that automatically flags content that looks like or sounds like copyrighted content. This mostly flags videos that are direct re-uploads of our videos (which is what the system is built for), but if you know of a video that has been claimed or removed incorrectly, please email us with “false claim” in the subject line.

#29 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1,035 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:34 PM

https://medium.com/@...1777#.tdqpd1ck6

Hello,
We’re here to apologize.
We realize we built a system that could easily be used for wrong. We are fixing that. The reality that trademarks like these could be used to theoretically give companies (including ours) the power to police and control online video is a valid concern, and though we can assert our intentions are pure, there’s no way to prove them.
We have decided to do the following:
1. Rescind all of our “React” trademarks and applications.*
2. Discontinue the React World program.
3. Release all past Content ID claims.**
The concerns people have about React World are understandable, and that people see a link between that and our past video takedowns, but those were mistakes from an earlier time. It makes perfect sense for people to distrust our motives here, but we are confident that our actions will speak louder than these words moving forward.
This has been a hard week. Our plan is to keep making great content with the help of our amazing staff. Thank you for your time and for hearing us out.
Sincerely,
Benny and Rafi Fine
*This includes “React,” “Kids React,” “Elders React,” “Lyric Breakdown,” etc. Please note: It takes a while for the databases to update, but the necessary paperwork has been filed.
**Content ID is YouTube’s copyright system that automatically flags content that looks like or sounds like copyrighted content. This mostly flags videos that are direct re-uploads of our videos (which is what the system is built for), but if you know of a video that has been claimed or removed incorrectly, please email us with “false claim” in the subject line.

Well then............... I don't even know if I should Laugh xD

#30 blue

blue
  • Team Codex, We're SOTACKED!

• 2,041 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:41 PM

Remember these fine words, "We can look forward to looking back at this moment, to this video, with all of you, knowing this was where we all stood together, changed the way things were done, and created this first of its kind global community."

The number just keeps falling

#31 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4,433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:43 PM

aww, they should've marched on and milked this more for all the drama its worth (i would). what a shame. :/

#32 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:49 PM

Pack it up boyz, the drama is over.

#33 Unmata

Unmata
  • 714 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:04 PM

The video and the announcement were desperate attempts to stop the massive loss of subscribers thats happening. It wont help though. almost 3000 people watching a live stream of their React & TheFineBros falling sub counts. I can just imagine them freaking the fuck out right now. 

#34 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1,035 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:10 PM

Well they've lost what.. 200k something subs by now?

#35 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2,341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:46 PM

Benny and Rafi Fine

Okay but still. That should not be trademarkable. That's something everyone does. It's like saying people don't react.
If some child gets a puppy and the title is: Kid React to First Puppy
Then they'd get in trouble for it. Still b.s. Just trade mark your name ass holes.

#36 Swar

Swar

• 9,066 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:49 PM

Okay but still. That should not be trademarkable. That's something everyone does. It's like saying people don't react.
If some child gets a puppy and the title is: Kid React to First Puppy
Then they'd get in trouble for it. Still b.s. Just trade mark your name ass holes.

Yeah, it's stupid that it's something doable. And it's bad because who knows if they won't try that again, but without saying anything? They had trademarked some of the names back in mid 2015 and people only knew about it because of the React World video, months later. Next time they might do it and pretend they didn't.

According to a bunch of people on reddit, the copyright and trademark system in the US is really broken, and that's why these kinds of things happen.

#37 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2,341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:06 PM

Yeah, it's stupid that it's something doable. And it's bad because who knows if they won't try that again, but without saying anything? They had trademarked some of the names back in mid 2015 and people only knew about it because of the React World video, months later. Next time they might do it and pretend they didn't.

According to a bunch of people on reddit, the copyright and trademark system in the US is really broken, and that's why these kinds of things happen.

Yep it's messed up. I watched a few videos on Copyrights which is a whole different can of worms.
I think it's sneaky and even though they say they are doing it for good, I think they are going to try monopolizing a portion of youtube.

#38 Roger5

Roger5
  • 151 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:14 PM

I think they are going to try monopolizing a portion of youtube.

Exactly my thoughts, I cannot believe how they thought the public would receive the news with open arms

#39 blue

blue
  • Team Codex, We're SOTACKED!

• 2,041 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:22 PM

I love this description of how things would have ended up from Reddit thread that the finebros were reacting to.

"The whole thing is BS. The way the Fine Brothers have structured this is whole thing they're trying to pull off is that there is a lot of risk involved making a reaction video unless you do it through them so they get a cut.

It's like having two roads: one that they just built and put a toll booth on, and one that they used to use frequently but have now littered with landmines.

Now they're not going to stop you from using that free road because they can't but for you it's far safer to use their road and pay them a toll than it is to navigate that minefield they set up."

So I found another website and it makes a graph. So in an hours time they lost 5,000 followers

Spoiler

#40 Padme

Padme
  • 1,577 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:14 PM

They should make a 'react to the fine bro being dicks' video and say it was a giant troll.

#41 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2,341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:42 PM

They should make a 'react to the fine bro being dicks' video and say it was a giant troll.

mmm sorry you have to pay 30% now to the fine bros
(jkjk I freeking hope not)

#42 Padme

Padme
  • 1,577 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:03 AM

mmm sorry you have to pay 30% now to the fine bros
(jkjk I freeking hope not)

lmao they can have 30% of my student loan debt 

#43 Chappy

Chappy