• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:52 PM

I was in class today and we were talking about the German philosopher Hegel, who believed in questioning what's given. 

A basic example would be this: When you go to school, you and the other students go to the desks and find a seat. You don't go to the front of the room, that is where the teacher stands. We do this year after year, without giving it a second thought. It's just..what you do. But why? How and when did these actions become second nature?

Marx had an idea when he was young that this applies to objects as well. We look at a chair and see a chair. It's what it is. But Marx looked at it and saw congealed labor. Not just stuff. This chair has a history; there were many events that transpired before it came to rest in your home. He wanted workers to realize that they were the backbone of production, without which nothing would get done. 

I was reading on Reddit the other day about this guy from Australia who has been working in New York for the past few months, and he can't believe the work culture here. In his post he detailed how many days off from work employees have in Australia, and compared to the US, it sounds like a dream. America was founded on hard work and high production, but somewhere along the way we mutated into a culture of staying late, working long hours for an increasingly disproportionate reward. We are continuing to produce at high levels, but there is no pride in it anymore. 

This is unrelated, but it's so crazy to me how the media is still trying to make Bernie Sanders go away. I was listening to the radio and they were talking about Trump and Cruz, and then they said, "And Hillary Clinton has officially won on the democratic side, but only by a few votes." And then they moved on! They didn't even say this guys name. Wild. 

#2 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:56 PM

What exactly is the debate about?

#3 DonValentino

DonValentino

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:59 PM

If you'd rather have vaginas for ears or penises for fingers.

#4 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:12 PM

*writing something smart-sounding because people will assume that if I use fancy words, it will relate to the debate topic to which I clearly have no grasp on*

Whether or not @DonValentino was high at the time of creating this thread. Review the title.

#5 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:18 PM

Whether or not @DonValentino was high at the time of creating this thread. Review the title.

I think this is less of a debate than the OP. @DonValentino has proved (as well as he can through the internet) that he is indeed high.

#6 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:24 PM

I think this is less of a debate than the OP. @DonValentino has proved (as well as he can through the internet) that he is indeed high.

I see your point and concede to it. 

Let's go get some ice cream.

#7 DonValentino

DonValentino

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:24 PM

*writing something smart-sounding because people will assume that if I use fancy words, it will relate to the debate topic to which I clearly have no grasp on*

I would like to know what people are thinking when they write something like this. What are they hoping to get out of it? There is nothing constructive added to the conversation. Either you think this is worthy of discussion, which is why you commented (but then your comment would be as useless as mine, so why post it?), or you don't think this is worth your time, in which case you wasted all your time just the same. 

You could take this time to educate if you feel more well-versed in the subject, or comment your own experiences, or something positive. But instead you decided on a snide, childish remark. On the other hand, your comment did inspire more thinking, so it can't be all bad. 

#8 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:30 PM

I would like to know what people are thinking when they write something like this. What are they hoping to get out of it? There is nothing constructive added to the conversation. Either you think this is worthy of discussion, which is why you commented (but then your comment would be as useless as mine, so why post it?), or you don't think this is worth your time, in which case you wasted all your time just the same. 

You could take this time to educate if you feel more well-versed in the subject, or comment your own experiences, or something positive. But instead you decided on a snide, childish remark. On the other hand, your comment did inspire more thinking, so it can't be all bad. 

I gain nothing out of it and I'm satisfied with that mediocrity. 

If I were to--say take a stance on the metanalysis of social constructs in saying that shame molds our minds to not question our reality but to function in it a way that either pleases the ones who grasp the politics or stay clear of their way--I would, but I have no incentive to do so because the pierrot mediocrity I choose to live in is more appealing than not. Maybe if there were motivations to push me to truly discuss a point, I would so be humble and concede with the very obscure purpose of this oh-so called debate.

#9 renegade

renegade
  • 127 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:53 PM

Marx had an idea when he was young that this applies to objects as well. We look at a chair and see a chair. It's what it is.

But what if it's not a chair? What if it's all in our head?

We are continuing to produce at high levels, but there is no pride in it anymore. 

Because companies treat people like shit. We work our asses off because we HAVE to, to make a living and support our families and to not lose our jobs in the first place. There is no loyalty anymore. You could work for a company for 20 years, but if they find someone who can do your job for less money or who benefits them in some way more than you benefit them, then BUH-BYE, enjoy being unemployed. How can you take pride in your work when you know that the company your work for views you as a number, someone who is completely replaceable at the drop of a dime. 

On the note about Bernie and Hillary...

#10 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:54 PM

I see your point and concede to it. 

Let's go get some ice cream.

Rocky road? Or are we gonna turn this into a real debate thread?

#11 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:57 PM

If you'd rather have vaginas for ears or penises for fingers.

This is my trademarked question.

Pls back off.

Spoiler

#12 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:18 PM

Rocky road? Or are we gonna turn this into a real debate thread?

tumblr_inline_n3ghj9J3u91qcklud.gif

I'm waiting for you to contribute a point of some semblance to the topic.

#13 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:12 PM

I was in class today and we were talking about the German philosopher Hegel, who believed in questioning what's given. 

A basic example would be this: When you go to school, you and the other students go to the desks and find a seat. You don't go to the front of the room, that is where the teacher stands. We do this year after year, without giving it a second thought. It's just..what you do. But why? How and when did these actions become second nature?

I was on codex today,  and DonV posted a thread about High Rambling, he believed in trying to make a point but never reaching it.

A basic example would be this: When you go on NeoCodex, you and your fellow members go through the new threads and stumble upon this one. You don't immediately X out of the page, that is what a sober person would do. We do this day after day, without giving it a second thought. It's just... what you do. But why? How and when did these posts become acceptable? 

#14 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:30 PM

I was on codex today,  and DonV posted a thread about High Rambling, he believed in trying to make a point but never reaching it.

A basic example would be this: When you go on NeoCodex, you and your fellow members go through the new threads and stumble upon this one. You don't immediately X out of the page, that is what a sober person would do. We do this day after day, without giving it a second thought. It's just... what you do. But why? How and when did these posts become acceptable? 

I like you. You make sense.

You have some nice questions, but I'll focus on the first only: what makes us not leave this page without a second thought? The one thing I haphazardly chose to focus on with thinking about what is written is this thread is the debate over the inherent presence of motivation vs the imposition of motivation in the things we encounter. It's our imposition of our own motivation that is the cause of our own take on the world. A chair never makes us want to sit or think where it's from. It's our own desires to sit that makes us want to sit when we see a chair and our curiosity for the esoteric and mysterious that makes us want to think of its origins. 

Purposely choosing to read crappy threads made by insolent rogues of academia? Only our own motivation to feel better at the fall of one's grace or seek refuge among refugee in the poverty of fortune. Sobriety or stupor only changes the level of willingness to act on to reach our motivations.

#15 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:53 PM

I like you. You make sense.

You have some nice questions, but I'll focus on the first only: what makes us not leave this page without a second thought? The one thing I haphazardly chose to focus on with thinking about what is written is this thread is the debate over the inherent presence of motivation vs the imposition of motivation in the things we encounter. It's our imposition of our own motivation that is the cause of our own take on the world. A chair never makes us want to sit or think where it's from. It's our own desires to sit that makes us want to sit when we see a chair and our curiosity for the esoteric and mysterious that makes us want to think of its origins. 

Purposely choosing to read crappy threads made by insolent rogues of academia? Only our own motivation to feel better at the fall of one's grace or seek refuge among refugee in the poverty of fortune. Sobriety or stupor only changes the level of willingness to act on to reach our motivations.

You make me happy to be a part of this.

This is unrelated, but it's so crazy to me how young college kids keep trying to make Bernie a 'thing.' I was on reddit and they were talking about Clinton as if she's a criminal and then they said, "Clinton should be be indicted for her actions and Obama too!" and then they killed a sacrificial lamb for Sanders. Kosher ofc. 

r_u_high___gif_by_lord_iluvatar-d69lryj.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users