neopetbuttpicture

• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#126 Jelly

Jelly
  • 68 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:00 PM

What makes me want to leave: ReCaptchas! Ugh!

Seriously. They do nothing to prevent malicious code and are just a big annoyance.

#127 Junjie

Junjie
  • Hi there!

• 2267 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:23 PM

I still wonder about the recaptchas. Were account scanner bots reaallyy slowing down the site thaatt badly, and was it really such an urgent problem, for them to have to resort to that & implement it in such a hurry?

After all, we've had ABers, scoresenders, and all sorts of other programs available for so long, nothing seemed to happen to the Neopets site gosh.

#128 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:32 PM

I still don't even really know why the recaptchas even started!

#129 Junjie

Junjie
  • Hi there!

• 2267 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:50 PM

I still don't even really know why the recaptchas even started!

Weeks before the captchas were added, there was a period where the site was laggy (even more so than usual) and sometimes even went down. In the editorial afterwards TNT said that that was because of bots, namely 'scanner' bots (not available on Codex, to my knowledge) which would crawl across userlookups and sometimes petlookups and compile data about them in their own databases.

The same editorial said that the captchas were hence added to deter that, if I remember correctly.

If you're wondering, such account scanners seem to be used so that hackers can determine which users are vulnerable to be hit. Not sure if there are other uses for them.

#130 jaredyne

jaredyne
  • 1115 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:54 PM

The recaptchas are really annoying, but on the plus side it kind of hides some illegit activity. People are less likely to check userlookups now, so you can get away with a few more high score table shenanigans without being reported.

#131 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:13 PM

Weeks before the captchas were added, there was a period where the site was laggy (even more so than usual) and sometimes even went down. In the editorial afterwards TNT said that that was because of bots, namely 'scanner' bots (not available on Codex, to my knowledge) which would crawl across userlookups and sometimes petlookups and compile data about them in their own databases.

The same editorial said that the captchas were hence added to deter that, if I remember correctly.

If you're wondering, such account scanners seem to be used so that hackers can determine which users are vulnerable to be hit. Not sure if there are other uses for them.

Thanks for that! makes sense! But they are so gosh darn annoying. At least you don't have to recaptcha your own UL pet descriptions or pet pages!

The recaptchas are really annoying, but on the plus side it kind of hides some illegit activity. People are less likely to check userlookups now, so you can get away with a few more high score table shenanigans without being reported.

That is a very good point!!!

#132 RedHyena

RedHyena
  • 77 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:19 AM

I keep quitting and coming back because I'm such a sucker for games where you can raise/take care of a creature. :p It has lost most of the magic it had when I was younger (and before Viacom bought it) - I remember spending hours and hours on Neo every day as a kid, just exploring. 

Cheating is really the only thing that's keeping me from stopping for good. I think ABing is really fun and it makes it so I actually have a chance at getting the stuff I want. 

#133 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:18 PM

Yeah coming back or starting over is easy with NeoCodex. The cool thing is, if I ever did stop playing Neopets, I would still be active here because I love this place!

#134 icantbelievethis

icantbelievethis
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:46 AM

When you're bored enough, you have a full steam library of 200 games and you just want to chill, you play some neopets yo.

#135 warmonger2

warmonger2
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:36 AM

One word: Nostalgia.

#136 DDPink

DDPink
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:02 PM

I've always been addicted to these sorts of sites. I've got other things to help fill the void, but in the end, I'll always come back to Neo.

#137 saudia

saudia
  • A whole new wooooorld

• 62 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:56 AM

I play just to kill time

#138 Rowlet

Rowlet
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:45 AM

I play because I've accepted that it's just a part of my life that always has been, as sad as that sounds. I log into my neopets account by habit, and even if I spend a month or two or five away from it, I always end up coming back anyway. I met all of my online friends on neopets, and I'm the type of sentimental person who can't easily let go of things from their childhood.

#139 Rainforce

Rainforce
  • 314 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:49 AM

I've been on this site for as long as I can remember, but I might quit if I don't get my main back soon :(

#140 quailione

quailione
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:22 AM

I just started playing again because of nostalgia. And the fact that I'm just going to cheat as hard as I can for as long as I can for my last huzzah. ;)

#141 Daenarys

Daenarys
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:36 AM

I come and go, sometimes i leave for a couple months then come back.

I'm always on for the advent calendar

and i like collecting stamps, avatars, stuff for my gallery, and increasing my bank account.

#142 Nekita

Nekita
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:40 AM

I'm only in neopets because i'm a nostalgic, in this site i  I met my husband xD

#143 Sirius

Sirius
  • Azkaban Survivor

• 99 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:12 AM

Pure, unadulterated boredom. And habit. 

#144 phoenix13

phoenix13
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:27 AM

Because medical school is the worst lol Neopets is like a way to kill time and get things moving along during the day. Relaxes me just to play some games they provide and talk to new people 

#145 Xerneas

Xerneas
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:47 AM

I'm pretty addicting to my pets. I like my account to be pretty and impressive to myself. Also trading is fun. But it's also annoying as hell... I have mixed feelings with it really.

I probably won't stop playing until I find a new hobby or I begin working again. xP

#146 hotcoldyay

hotcoldyay
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:12 AM

I've stopped caring as much as I used to. I recently got back into it, but only to sell my petpet collection and join the altador cup. I'll probably stop afterwards. It's a nice break from reality these days though. Back then, I used to play 24/7 and forget to sleep lol

#147 crazybus

crazybus
  • 43 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:15 PM

I used to play legit for many years, especially as a kid. I had a friend who always bragged about having 10 million neopoints. 

Turns out I can surpass that really easily now as an adult! It makes my inner child feel accomplished. 

#148 active247

active247
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:10 PM

nostalgia. and stamp avatars. those things are pretty... hah

#149 RedHyena

RedHyena
  • 77 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:15 PM

I play because I've accepted that it's just a part of my life that always has been, as sad as that sounds. I log into my neopets account by habit, and even if I spend a month or two or five away from it, I always end up coming back anyway. I met all of my online friends on neopets, and I'm the type of sentimental person who can't easily let go of things from their childhood.

Pretty much the same for me. I've just accepted the fact that I'll never be able to quit for good :p Though I don't have any friends that play anymore. I wish my IRL friends did!

#150 melathos

melathos
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:26 PM

I have no idea why I keep playing, honestly.

I play everyday for months, and then one day wake up and think "nah." and stop playing for a year or two. Then all of a sudden I feel an urge to see what has changed and bam, I'm back. The history keeps repeating itself, at least with me.

Played legit and got frozen, that made me want to quit. Now I'm back, but not quite as legit as before. I mean, if I'm gonna be iced anyway, might as well try to get the best of it while I can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users