• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:35 PM

There's been a lot of meme's, debates, facebook posts, tweets and videos on how people, mainly women, look different with & without makeup on. There was even the man who asked for a divorce after seeing his wife without makeup. 

Do you think it's a lie for women to wear makeup? Do you think it is a misrepresentation? Have people gone too far without makeup? Do people have the wrong idea of what makeup is for? is it a subjective topic? 

Warning: a little bit of sexual and also explicit language

18e.jpg

#2 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:42 PM

No, it is not a lie. Anyone who thinks it is, is a judgemental, shallow, piece of shit.

#3 Honchkrow

Honchkrow
  • 908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:51 PM

Its not like you're adamant about it like, "No, this is my real face, I really do have smoky eyelids and totally matte skin.". If anything just take them for a swim, or you know, really get to know them?

#4 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:47 AM

No, most women (and some men) probably wear it largely to make themselves feel good about their appearance rather than wearing it for the approval of other people.

Most of the time they'll look perfectly fine without it anyway but if it makes them more confident or more comfortable then who cares? I do think most people would be better off just taking better care of their skin than relying on makeup in the long run though, moisturise, staying out of the sun, drinking less, smoking less, all of those things will likely give you better skin for longer so you don't end up looking like an old leather sofa when you're 50.

#5 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:30 AM

Personally I don't think its a Lie. 

If it was then that woman or man would be the weirdest ever considering for it to be a lie, then they'd almost have to wear it 24/7/365x2 

Even then I don't consider it a 'lie' lol. 

Its art. At least that is what I think. Friends at school years ago used to come to school looking different each day, sometimes regular makeup, sometimes a little more flair with colours. Halloween was especially cool. Zombie girls running around was rather amusing. 

#6 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 803 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:41 AM

No, it is not a lie. Anyone who thinks it is, is a judgemental, shallow, piece of shit.

Right, because you only care about the inside and never judged anyone on their appearance. Fuck you and your self righteousness.

#7 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:05 AM

If by lying you mean not telling the truth, well... yes. Is it a bad thing? No. Most of the time, people use makeup to enhance their features and hide some minor flaws. It's not like they're clowns, trying to be someone else completely different. However, I do think people should be more confident with how they look and shouldn't rely on heavy makeup. But if they want to, go for it.

And to that guy who wanted divorce because of how his wife looked like without makeup. Well, it wouldn't work out anyway if he only cared about her face.

Funny because you're jugding them.

#8 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:19 AM

Yes it is a lie, in the same sense that you're "lying" to people about your eyesight when you wear glasses or contacts. It's an utterly pointless phrase and has no bearing on any form of discussion.

But, if women could stop wearing dark/bright red lipstick, that would be grand.

#9 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:24 AM

Yes it is a lie, in the same sense that you're "lying" to people about your eyesight when you wear glasses or contacts. It's an utterly pointless phrase and has no bearing on any form of discussion.

I had a bloke mention the red lipstick thing once, apparently he had a chicks lipstick on his you know what and freaked out cus he thought he was bleeding. After a hospital trip he really felt embarrassed. I found it rather funny. 

On the topic of make up though, locally there's plenty of people who wear makeup who even from a talking distance away you could barely tell anyway. I mean lying about taking your wifes chocolate bar outta the fridge and eating it will probably end up getting me in trouble, but never have I met anyone who's  managed to end up in trouble over the fact they were wearing makeup.

#10 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:53 AM

That is such a great comparison.

You know what annoys the shit out of me (as a person who wears glasses, cuz without them, I'm blind as fuck)? When people tell me, "oh you look so pretty without your glasses!" when I had contacts.. uhh? Thanks for being a shit and implying with them I don't look as good? Because seeing makes me look so unattractive? Nevermind, without them, my face will get so many wrinkle lines from squinting. 

Anyways... lipstick doesn't bother me. But I would never wear it because the texture on my lips bothers the hell out of me. I used to be more harsh and judgmental, I admit, with regards to makeup and yoga pants. But it's because I didn't really know any better (I was young xD) and I learned it's not my business, so who cares? I learned I should empower people to express themselves how they want -- male, female, whatever. People wear makeup, generally, for themselves. It's not really necessarily a sign of insecurity either. A lot of women do it as a form of art and expression. 

I do hear some men and women say things like "I like natural women" or whatever. What does that even mean? Because clothes, shaving your body hair, accessories and shit are so "natural". I just have to laugh at that. But whatever you like, or don't like, cool by me. 

#11 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:35 AM

No, because I have no obligation to show my natural face to anyone? It doesn't really matter what your face looks like with or without makeup because you don't owe anybody shit?
Sometimes I wear black lipstick and blue eyeliner just to see people squirm. 

#12 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:39 AM

Yes

#13 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:12 PM

No, because I have no obligation to show my natural face to anyone? It doesn't really matter what your face looks like with or without makeup because you don't owe anybody shit?
Sometimes I wear black lipstick and blue eyeliner just to see people squirm.

Ahh the clashing...urgh

#14 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:53 PM

I think everyone can benefit from a little mascara.

#15 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:56 PM

Yeah no. Make-up is part of my outfit. It's just as much a lie as clothing; i.e. not a lie. I don't act like I have a flowerpatterned torso made of cotton nor do I act like my eyelids are naturally gold or whatever colour. People that feel deceived by make-up are shallow little shits that need a reality check and should be banned from wearing anything that remotely covers their body, because practice what you preach.

#16 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:58 PM

I think everyone can benefit from a little mascara.

Is that the eyelash thing? My eyelashes are long as fuck, I don't think I'd look good if they were even longer O_o

#17 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:00 PM

Is that the eyelash thing? My eyelashes are long as fuck, I don't think I'd look good if they were even longer O_o

Yep, that's the eyelash thing. I don't use it either because my lashes are very long naturally, so mascara doesn't really do much for me. 

#18 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:16 PM

Whether or not thinking that makeup is a "lie" is a little strange. I just think it's unnecessary in some cases. It's one thing to wear makeup if you have a skin condition or if you're acting on film/stage, but other than that, I don't think wearing makeup is necessary. Not a lot of it anyway.

Please don't hate me.

#19 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:23 PM

Whether or not thinking that makeup is a "lie" is a little strange. I just think it's unnecessary in some cases. It's one thing to wear makeup if you have a skin condition or if you're acting on film/stage, but other than that, I don't think wearing makeup is necessary. Not a lot of it anyway.

Please don't hate me.

I can understand that. I've seen people throw on tons of makeup, and I sit there going "why"? You would have been fine with just some concealer but you threw on so much extra stuff. Now it looks overdone and like you're trying to hard to get a date. I use makeup to cover my acne, just a small bit of foundation, and the redness that was left behind after I was on accutane to get rid of it. I will admit I use eyeliner, but very little, because I enjoy the way it makes my eyes look. Other than that, I don't wear much makeup. 

#20 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:03 PM

A lie? Hm. No, unless you're using so much makeup you look like a clown every time you get out of the house, or your own family doesn't recognise you, or if your face looks like you just got back from a week in Hawaii and your neck is white as snow (which, technically is 1/3 a lie, 1/3 lack of common sense, 1/3 inability to understand makeup).

I use makeup very rarely and just basic stuff. I don't do it for others, I do it because it's probably the only girly thing I do it naturally (besides ovulating) without had anyone teaching me or whatever.

#21 renegade

renegade
  • 127 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

To me, it's only a lie if you blatantly deny the fact that you're wearing makeup. It's not like people look at someone with makeup and can't tell at all. I'd say that AT LEAST 75% of the time, it's quite obvious when someone is wearing makeup. But most people who wear makeup would happily admit to anyone who asked, if someone honestly couldn't tell just by looking at them.

It's kind of like asking if wearing form-flattering clothing is a lie. I'm obviously not going to wear short shorts when I have cellulite-ridden thunder thighs, but no sane person is going to look at me and say "OMG HER THIGHS ARE COVERED... SHE MUST JUST HAVE REALLY LARGE LEGS FROM MUSCLE." No. You can obviously tell I'm fat. I just look better in form-flattering clothing.

#22 Honchkrow

Honchkrow
  • 908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:43 PM

To me, it's only a lie if you blatantly deny the fact that you're wearing makeup. It's not like people look at someone with makeup and can't tell at all. I'd say that AT LEAST 75% of the time, it's quite obvious when someone is wearing makeup. But most people who wear makeup would happily admit to anyone who asked, if someone honestly couldn't tell just by looking at them.

It's kind of like asking if wearing form-flattering clothing is a lie. I'm obviously not going to wear short shorts when I have cellulite-ridden thunder thighs, but no sane person is going to look at me and say "OMG HER THIGHS ARE COVERED... SHE MUST JUST HAVE REALLY LARGE LEGS FROM MUSCLE." No. You can obviously tell I'm fat. I just look better in form-flattering clothing.

Push up bras as well, aha. 

#23 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:25 PM

Make up doesn't really bother me. If you wanna wear it, wear it. If you don't then don't.

I don't even get why people's panties get in a bunch about it

#24 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:09 PM

as a person who photoshops the living daylight out of his face photos before posting them online, i'm in no position to judge women who wear makeup. but sometimes i do laugh at pictures of celebrities without makeup tho.

this comedy skit by collegehumor is spot-on, imo. :D

#25 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:24 AM

Ahh the clashing...urgh

YES! *evil cackle*

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: padme, debate, makeup, cosmetics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users