Quantcast

Photo

What do you do for a job/want do for a job?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:30 AM

You can probably all guess what I do for a living, seeing as I bang on about it so much. I've included a short video which 100% emphasises what "The Job" is and what we do. I equally love and hate my job with all my soul, some of the things I've seen and done.

I kid you not, I've been at the scenes of stabbings and saved lives, I've been on the frontline of riots, arrested rapists/peadophiles/murderers etc, and made some of the best friends a person could hope. I used to sit up late at night, too excited for sleep and begging to get back to work. Unfortunately a lot changes in six years.

So what do you want to do for a living? What do you do at the moment? Why aren't you in your dream job?

#2 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:55 AM

You can probably all guess what I do for a living, seeing as I bang on about it so much. I've included a short video which 100% emphasises what "The Job" is and what we do. I equally love and hate my job with all my soul, some of the things I've seen and done.

I kid you not, I've been at the scenes of stabbings and saved lives, I've been on the frontline of riots, arrested rapists/peadophiles/murderers etc, and made some of the best friends a person could hope. I used to sit up late at night, too excited for sleep and begging to get back to work. Unfortunately a lot changes in six years.

So what do you want to do for a living? What do you do at the moment? Why aren't you in your dream job?

So why don't you lay awake anymore, wanting to go back? Is it just you've been disillusioned or something bigger?

Anyways, to answer your questions, I would love to be a neuroscience researcher. At the moment, I'm just a student. My most recent job was working in a child development center as a teacher. I liked that. But I despised my manager and she really ruined that job for me, because she was so bad at her job and our center was so poorly funded. Additionally, that place had some of the highest turnover I had ever seen because aforementioned manager was so awful to her employees. I loved how curious children were and how anxious they were to explore everything. But it was also depressing to see some of the kids there for 10 hours a day, every day, and their parents seemed disinterested in them. So it was a love-hate thing too.

When I finish my schooling, I should be able to start climbing the ladder towards my dream job.

#3 Rauul

Rauul
  • Always drunk 坂本

• 1965 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:12 PM

shit, im a drugs dealer and you are a cop. not too funny...

kidding. I'm a graduated geologist, but never worked as a geologist, first, is like a hobby, dont like mining corporation, dont like prospecting ore, stressfull schedule, working for 14 days in a row. i just studied geology for the rocks... ohhhh, love the rocks and minerals <3 <3 <3 

my plan is finish med school, because i love blood, fluids, veins, brains, organs, etc. work in a public hospital to improve everything in public system. Also im part of a rescue team (we rescue people at Chilean Andes, like Ojos del salado volcano, and major mountains) in that rescue team, i can mix all of my geology knowledge with medicine and first aid , maybe you are wondering how the fuck you can mix geology with medicine... me too lol. But i know all geology of my state, and recognize types of rocks to do some vertical climbing without the risk of being hit with falling rocks, search for purified water, using correctly a GPS, read maps, etc

my dreams job... is working at himalayas as a doctor, taking care with all hikers who tries to get everest peak

#4 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:16 PM

This is a thread I can really get in to, thank you for posting it. I'm about to be called into my podiatrists office, so I'll tag myself so I remember to edit this post. @Adam

Shitballs, we can't mention ourselves.

#5 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:31 PM

I'm currently doing a study that's very broad and therefore complicated to explain.

I'm studying to be an Interactive Performance Designer (IPD). We are part of a theatre faculty. But, when you go to the theatre, you sit down and receive info - the play - and that's all. You may internally reflect on it but other than that, audiences are only on the receiving side and it's a very linear communication.

IPD brings interactivity and audience participation to 'the stage'. And we do that in all kinds of forms; interactive plays, interactive experiences, art installations on festivals, real-life gaming events (like escape rooms) and transmedial storytelling (for example Alternate Reality Games). We both conceptualize and produce, so we get all the tools we need ranging from dramaturgy to 3D-modelling and scripting.

So there's loads of roads I can take with this study. The one I am on right now though, is horror events, as I'm sure hasn't escaped many of you. I'm quite literally on it right now, as I was just writing a research document with moodboards for our next edition. Through internship with the director and good friend, I'm now officially part of production team after I've acted there for 2 years and was a team supervisor the past year. This year, I'll be assisting the director creatively, coming up with theme ideas, storylines, costume and make-up design and during the event itself I will be standing next to him guiding and directing the actors.

I don't know what I like better - conceptualizing or producing. But with the abovementioned, I get to do both. I get to work on all kinds of different levels and subjects. It's varied. There's a large portion of it being me hauled up in my room scanning hundreds of pages and images and ideas, and there's a large portion where I'll be working with the people; judging auditions, training during try-outs, directing and evaluating during and after the event.

It's not making me money - yet - but I love doing it and I do see a profitable future in it with the rapid rise of Halloween popularity I'm witnessing all over Europe right now. (Don't forget that just 10 years ago Halloween was really an American-only sort of thing with some exceptions in Europe).

#6 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:55 PM

I'm currently doing a study that's very broad and therefore complicated to explain.

I'm studying to be an Interactive Performance Designer (IPD). We are part of a theatre faculty. But, when you go to the theatre, you sit down and receive info - the play - and that's all. You may internally reflect on it but other than that, audiences are only on the receiving side and it's a very linear communication.

IPD brings interactivity and audience participation to 'the stage'. And we do that in all kinds of forms; interactive plays, interactive experiences, art installations on festivals, real-life gaming events (like escape rooms) and transmedial storytelling (for example Alternate Reality Games). We both conceptualize and produce, so we get all the tools we need ranging from dramaturgy to 3D-modelling and scripting.

So there's loads of roads I can take with this study. The one I am on right now though, is horror events, as I'm sure hasn't escaped many of you. I'm quite literally on it right now, as I was just writing a research document with moodboards for our next edition. Through internship with the director and good friend, I'm now officially part of production team after I've acted there for 2 years and was a team supervisor the past year. This year, I'll be assisting the director creatively, coming up with theme ideas, storylines, costume and make-up design and during the event itself I will be standing next to him guiding and directing the actors.

I don't know what I like better - conceptualizing or producing. But with the abovementioned, I get to do both. I get to work on all kinds of different levels and subjects. It's varied. There's a large portion of it being me hauled up in my room scanning hundreds of pages and images and ideas, and there's a large portion where I'll be working with the people; judging auditions, training during try-outs, directing and evaluating during and after the event.

It's not making me money - yet - but I love doing it and I do see a profitable future in it with the rapid rise of Halloween popularity I'm witnessing all over Europe right now. (Don't forget that just 10 years ago Halloween was really an American-only sort of thing with some exceptions in Europe).

Your job sounds amazing. I have an old friend from high school who works seasonally with a design team for horror events as a makeup artist. She is incredibly talented. And all your posts about your work in horror have always reminded me of her because of the striking similarities. Have you always known this is what you wanted to do or did you sort of just fall into it?

#7 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:04 PM

Your job sounds amazing. I have an old friend from high school who works seasonally with a design team for horror events as a makeup artist. She is incredibly talented. And all your posts about your work in horror have always reminded me of her because of the striking similarities. Have you always known this is what you wanted to do or did you sort of just fall into it?

My nickname as a kid was Wednesday Addams. I've always had a knack for the macabre. I never dreamt it would become my job, but I would've always been involved with it one way or another :)

#8 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:20 PM

My nickname as a kid was Wednesday Addams. I've always had a knack for the macabre. I never dreamt it would become my job, but I would've always been involved with it one way or another :)

That is such an awesome nickname to have. xD It's wonderful you got to go into macabre and that despite it not quite being your aim, you ended up down that rabbit hole anyways. Also, your new avatar is badass. 

#9 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:21 PM

That is such an awesome nickname to have. xD It's wonderful you got to go into macabre and that despite it not quite being your aim, you ended up down that rabbit hole anyways. Also, your new avatar is badass. 

Haha thanks ;P I have it animated, but I can't get it to fit max file size </3 So a still will just about do.

#10 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:29 PM

Erotic cheesemonger.

#11 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:52 PM

I'll just assume most people know what I do, but I'll give a summary. I'm an aircraft mechanic working on F-16's for the USAF. This is certainly NOT my dream job. I really have the utmost respect for anyone wearing a badge -- my grandfather was a detective and retired from the police department after 33 years, he's my hero. So cheers, Lee.

I guess I haven't figured out exactly what I want to do for a career, I have too many passions to really target just one. I absolutely love cooking, but I'm not sure I'd want to make a career out of it. The only way I'd pursue being a chef is if I were to open up my own restaurant. I've also really thought about being some sort of network manager, as I have a pretty good background in cyber security, and I'm currently going for my CSNT degree. This last bit is something I've always dreamt of, but it'll probably never happen -- I want to be a musician. I love singing, and I love pretending like I know how to play the guitar. Hopefully, one day I'll be able to hone those skills and make something out of them. 

I'm currently not practicing any of my 'dream' jobs because I'm stuck in this damn 6-year contract with this corrupt ass government. 

#12 GetJinxed

GetJinxed
  • Reckless Cheater

• 1423 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:45 PM

Currently working at some cookware factory as a full time job. I do also get some money from ads revenue from some websites I run. My dream job is anything computer related. Seriously, i'm not that picky as long as it includes computers i'm happy. But I do want to make a living off the internet. I've done it before though. I forced myself to get a job as a way to discipline myself (if that even makes sense.) I kept procrastinating and went from ~1200€/monthly legit to ~400€. Which unfortunately isn't enough to support my mother and brother who are both unemployed at the moment. So yeah as a way to get an extra I got a full time job. I don't like it nor I hate it to be honest. The environment is really cool but I do hate the fact that i'm "wasting" time doing something I don't really wanted to do. Hopefully not for too long  :)

#13 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:32 PM

The dream was to be a professional violinist. I spent about 10 years seriously planning my life around getting there. I did that. I travelled the world. It wasn't that dreamy. I quit.

I'm yet to come up with a new dream.

Spent the last few years working in public relations for orchestras and venues. Mostly I get arts journalists drunk at lunch. It's fine. Eventually I'll probably pack it all in and give into my inevitable life as a bored housewife.

#14 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

I am a musician working as a musician. I wanted to be a musician.

I would love to study physics too, but I don't have enough time.

#15 Required

Required
  • 922 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:58 PM

I teach English to kids and teenangers, at a private place. I'd like to teach adults, college level, where I'm currently attenting. I'm pretty happy with what I do. I don't really do it for the money since in here college is free and I live with my parents. So yeah, I pretty much love my job. 

Anywhere where I can listen to your music, @HiMyNameIsNick ?

#16 Sylas

Sylas
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:24 PM

I'm an optician I sell contacts and eyeglasses!  We dont have a dr at the sight I work for so I have a lot of downtime to play games!

#17 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:02 PM

For now, I just study, but I'm getting there! My dream job is, since I was 12, to be a doctor! I knew that was what I wanted after a we had a class about the cardiovascular system, and I never changed my mind, not even doubted my decision. I actually start med school in two days, my life is finally taking the right turn :p

#18 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:05 PM

I teach English to kids and teenangers, at a private place. I'd like to teach adults, college level, where I'm currently attenting. I'm pretty happy with what I do. I don't really do it for the money since in here college is free and I live with my parents. So yeah, I pretty much love my job. 

I had a soundcloud but I deleted it. The next time I get to record something I'll upload it :p

#19 Ehentalix

Ehentalix
  • Banned from trading - Do NOT trade with this member!

• 95 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:31 PM

I always wanted to be a psychiatric therapist, specializing in alternative therapies, but I didn't get the grades I needed in high school. Now I'm just a disabled loser who failed college twice.

My second goal was to teach English as a second or foreign language. I was going to travel the world, then retire at forty. Now I'll be lucky to see my fortieth birthday.

#20 Rauul

Rauul
  • Always drunk 坂本

• 1965 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:07 PM

Travelling this friday to buenos aires, can u teach me english? :D i will be at city until July 8th 

#21 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:48 AM

I've always wanted to be a cartoonist or an animator. They were my dream jobs. Unfortunately, due to disagreements with my family, those dream jobs never came into fruition.

Now that I'm being given a second chance, I'm studying for a certificate in Graphic Design. Going to school for animation is too expensive, so studying for Graphic Design is a cheaper alternative.

#22 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:18 AM

I do boring accounting stuff.. I like what I do but not where I work.

I would like to be rich and never work again but that will never happen so I'll settle for working until I'm dead.

#23 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:19 AM

I work in politics at the local level. I am in a county of about 200,000 people with around 120,000 registered voters. There are 6 municipalities within the county, and probably ~25% living in unincorporated areas. My job varies tremendously but it's probably best characterized as "consulting." Services include, but aren't limited to, campaign finance, events/rallies, data analysis, campaigning, constituent outreach, etc. Eventually I hope to be on the other side, and run for office. I would have to abandon this career and pick up some other full time gig, as pay for elected officials at the local level is laughable. I am returning to school this year to get my Masters in Public Administration, and at the very least, that will enhance my ability to do my current job, but I am banking on it providing greater opportunities in public service. If this scenario plays out (as I hope it will), I will probably still participate in my current job as a hobby/supplemental income.

#24 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:12 AM

I'm a federal contractor in the US Navy as a mechanical engineer. Right now I'm mostly just sitting around learning general Navy things while I wait for my permanent post. A lot of naval architecture, military specs, ship layout, naming conventions, and all that general stuff. In the next few months to a year I'll be accepted and placed into my permanent post. My post is most likely going to be with NAVSSES in Philadelphia. I'm scheduled to interview with two teams in the next few weeks.

I am hoping I get placed into the cyber secure machinery controls & networks department. That open slot is for software development and system integration. They're building up a system to record and process the ship's performance under various conditions. The goal is to keep the ship in the best configuration to save fuel and other environmental concerns. That's pretty much my dream type job.

The second open slot is in machinery research, logistics and ship integrity department. It's mostly sensor research & development. They're currently finishing up a new sensor design to measure hull corrosion and build up. That's all pretty neat stuff and sensors make up a pretty hot market in the civilian world. 

It's pretty interesting to hear what some of you clowns are doing all the time. 

#25 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:29 AM

For the last months I've been working at a café, because I'm not cut out to be a housewife/stay-at-home mom. It's not my dream job, but it's one of the two things I'm really good at it and the only one I can do right now. But I'm starting to get bored of it, so I'll find something in the nearest future. I'm also doing some freelance work at subtitling some shows for cable channels but that won't last...

Before that I've spent almost a year doing some handmade things, mostly for women: handbags, purses, and a lot of other things I'm unable to explain in English, I sold from home and in fairs throughout the summer during music festivals: probably the easiest money I've ever made in a job I really didn't love.

And before that I had a bunch of other jobs (being barmaid the most recurrent because it was also my first job as a teenager and I get to work with booze, and also a cashier in several types of sores/markets, etc.),- because I get bored of everything really fast, but my dream job, the one that occupied most of my active adult life until a couple of years ago and the one I honestly loved was as a military and later in the national guard.

I'm not in my dream job because I don't consider myself psychologically stable enough to do it, despite all the evaluations stating otherwise and how much I want to go back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users