Quantcast

Photo

Is anyone interested in insects and keeping/breeding them?

insects beetle breeding hobby

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Cheyenne

Cheyenne
  • 97 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:51 PM

This is a newfound interest of mine and I've been trying to acquire larger exotic beetles to keep and raise. Exotics, well... aren't exactly legal, but that doesn't stop me from trying. For that reason, I've been interested in looking for wild beetles in my area, though they're not as spectacular as exotics. Right now, I have 3 "june beetles" that I caught with a light trap outside my window. I'm planning on getting some Japanese rhinoceros beetle grubs to raise into adults - they are the beetles that Heracross is modeled after.

So, just wondering, is anyone else here somewhat of an insect enthusiast?

Allomyrina_d_septentrionalis_02.jpg

#2 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:57 PM

I have some in my yard, and occasionally they find their way inside. My wife then tells me to kill them.

#3 Cheyenne

Cheyenne
  • 97 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:24 AM

lol, you should just let the little guys back outside! I have a hard time trying to get my mother to accept my beetles, but she hates bugs!

Are they big? Small? Curious!

#4 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:38 AM

lol, you should just let the little guys back outside! I have a hard time trying to get my mother to accept my beetles, but she hates bugs!

Are they big? Small? Curious!

Usually, stink bugs and spiders. Occasionally we get an invasion of ants in our bathroom. Small black ants.

#5 Cheyenne

Cheyenne
  • 97 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:46 AM

Ah that's cool. Yeah, here in Florida it is impossible to escape the presence of bugs! I found a random giant millipede walking on my floor just a few hours ago.

#6 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:05 AM

Ah that's cool. Yeah, here in Florida it is impossible to escape the presence of bugs! I found a random giant millipede walking on my floor just a few hours ago.

Nice, we have small millipedes here in Portland. They are black with yellow legs. I only really saw them at our last place that we lived. The place was basement level, and they would gather on the cold cement dear the water grates.

#7 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:10 AM

Not personally, but a mate of mine keeps stick insects, a tarantula spider, a giant centipede, scorpions and a bunch of snakes lol He's mad for that shit xD He was wanting to get hold of a Goliath beetle too at some point, but I think he needs a special permit for those?

#8 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 April 2016 - 04:17 AM

I used to really love collecting bugs as a kid. Until my dad decided to open a box full of them in my room and hold the door shut when all of them flocked onto me. I had small cuts and stuff from them and was really stuffed up with bugs after that. 

#9 blue

blue
  • doge

• 2048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:53 AM

Bug Pokemon Gym Leader checking in!

No, I don't deal with bugs in real life. Arizona doesn't really have that great of variety in the city anyway.

#10 Junjie

Junjie
  • Hi there!

• 2267 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:55 PM

I remember I used to venture out into the school field with a friend in Primary School, when I was like 9 or 10 or so, and then I was fascinated with the plant and insect species I came across, often trying to compare them with what I had seen in books about local flora and fauna. That was pretty funn!!

Haven't reaallyy been fascinated about them since then thoughh.

#11 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:14 PM

I have two field crickets right now. 

A male and a female. they were rescued in the winter from death. I don't know if I'll be keeping them or letting them go when it gets warmer.

#12 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:20 PM

Ur cool

I wanted some dermestid beetles for cleaning bones but I'm too poor.

#13 Cheyenne

Cheyenne
  • 97 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:34 PM

Not personally, but a mate of mine keeps stick insects, a tarantula spider, a giant centipede, scorpions and a bunch of snakes lol He's mad for that shit xD He was wanting to get hold of a Goliath beetle too at some point, but I think he needs a special permit for those?

Ah, a goliath beetle! Must be referring to Goliathus goliatus? They're beauties! <3 But yeah, exotics are, well, illegal in the US. But that doesn't stop people from buying them.

I used to really love collecting bugs as a kid. Until my dad decided to open a box full of them in my room and hold the door shut when all of them flocked onto me. I had small cuts and stuff from them and was really stuffed up with bugs after that. 

Aw, that wasn't very nice... You should try giving them another chance!

No, I don't deal with bugs in real life. Arizona doesn't really have that great of variety in the city anyway.

Actually, I hear Arizona has some pretty nice insect diversity. Such as the prized Dynastes granti, and loads of other desert beetles. If you live in the city, you have a chance of finding cool bugs under bright industrial lights.

I remember I used to venture out into the school field with a friend in Primary School, when I was like 9 or 10 or so, and then I was fascinated with the plant and insect species I came across, often trying to compare them with what I had seen in books about local flora and fauna. That was pretty funn!!

Haven't reaallyy been fascinated about them since then thoughh.

Saaaaame here. But after seeing all of the beautiful, exotic beetles in the world earlier in the year... I fell in love. <3

I have two field crickets right now. 

A male and a female. they were rescued in the winter from death. I don't know if I'll be keeping them or letting them go when it gets warmer.

Aw, that's nice. It would be nice to keep them but I guess you should let them go when it's warmer out.

Ur cool

I wanted some dermestid beetles for cleaning bones but I'm too poor.

Oooh, that's cool! You could try luring some with some traps! That would be a really cool experiment.

#14 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:09 PM

My mom did some kind of bug class when I was in 11-12. Our freezer was full of things in jars that would wiggle back to life when you took them out. Started an early, healthy fear of bugs that way.

#15 Cheyenne

Cheyenne
  • 97 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:49 PM

My mom did some kind of bug class when I was in 11-12. Our freezer was full of things in jars that would wiggle back to life when you took them out. Started an early, healthy fear of bugs that way.

Interesting... though, I'm more about having an alternative pet and observing their natural behavior instead of keeping a collection of dead insects!

#16 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:30 AM

Interesting... though, I'm more about having an alternative pet and observing their natural behavior instead of keeping a collection of dead insects!

They weren't dead! They were hibernating or something.

#17 Amadeus

Amadeus
  • 135 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:55 PM

As a source of protein, yes I am.

#18 Junjie

Junjie
  • Hi there!

• 2267 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:09 PM

As a source of protein, yes I am.

Hahaha wait, really?? :D

#19 JennaJayen

JennaJayen
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:06 PM

Not me personally, I dislike bugs, but I have friends who keep and breed various insects/lizards/snakes etc.
My oldest child has ADHD and likes to collect dead bugs - specifically the rhinocerus beetles that live in our area and "swarm" in a breeding frenzy over Christmas/new year (mid Summer for us).

We keep fish (small ones like Gourami, Tetra's, Platy's, Chinese Sucker Catfish, Bristlenose's, Pakistani Loaches etc, they all live in a community tank, and large ones like a Silver Dollar and 3 x Oscar's), the Oscar's grow to 35cm+ and occasionally eat bugs as a treat (crickets) when we can't get feeder fish so sometimes I have to actually touch bugs (don't mind if they're on the other side of glass, same with snakes).

#20 Zieke

Zieke
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:10 AM

The only insects I collect are in Animal Crossing. lol

#21 Cnourinha

Cnourinha
  • 179 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:40 AM

Insects are really fascinating! I did an internship with biological control, so I raised many species of leaf-feeding caterpillars (pests) and two different heteropteras (predators). It was a great experience!:D
Be careful if you get an exotic specie, because it can turns in a invasive specie and cause many problems!!

(Sorry, English is not my native language)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users