#1 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2016 - 03:58 AM

source: http://www.thestar.c...stole-crutches/

US paralympian: Zouk bouncers took away my crutches

PETALING JAYA: An emotional video by American amputee and paralympic ski-racer Josh Sundquist claiming that bouncers at a nightclub stole his crutches while he was dancing has gone viral.  :excl:

The 31-year-old Youtube sensation :wub: and best-selling author of Just Don’t Fall was in Malaysia to give a motivational speech at iM4U’s Reach Out Convention and Celebration 2016 in Kuala Lumpur.

According to Sundquist, he went to Zouk Kuala Lumpur on Saturday with his wife and some of the other speakers after the event to dance. :yahoo:

He said that while dancing, he “jumped up” onto a platform about two feet above the ground. O_o

In the six-minute video clip that was uploaded on YouTube on Tuesday, Sundquist said people in the nightclub cheered him on and were excited to see him having a great time dancing. :friends:

“After being there for about a minute or two, some security guards came and one of them pulls away one of my crutches and another security guard comes and pulls away my other crutch. :doh:

“And I’m standing there in the middle of the dance club without my crutches.

“You know, for a person with no leg that means I’m immobile, you know, I cant move, I cant walk,” said a teary-eyed Sundquist. :sadangel:

He also claimed that he did not know why his crutches were taken away from him. :WTF:

Sundquist said that as soon as he got his crutches back from the security guard, he and his wife immediately left the club. :ninja4:

In an official response on its Facebook page, Zouk KL said it has been its policy not to discriminate against persons with disabilities. :whistling:

It said it had reviewed closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage of the incident and found several “inaccuracies” in Sundquist’s claims. O_o

It confirmed that Sundquist had ascended the “female-only” dance podium at Zouk Main Room. :shifty:

“Within a minute, a member of the security staff approached Mr Sundquist to ask him to come down from the podium, explaining to him that the podium was for women. :nsp:

“Mr Sundquist appeared to ignore him and continued dancing," it said. :nana:

The club said that moments later another security staff member approached Sundquist and requested that he come down from the podium. :cop:

“The security member placed his hand on Mr Sundquist’s back to guide him down. Mr Sundquist resisted, and raised his right hand, crutch hanging at his elbow.

“The security member held the flailing crutch and managed to get a firm grip on Mr Sundquist’s right arm and pulled him to safety, while the other security member supported his left forearm.

“The two security staff members promptly returned the crutches to Mr Sundquist once they were on the dance floor, and left him in the company of his friends.

“The title of Mr Sundquist’s video, 'Security gang stole my crutches', is thus inaccurate,” it said. :noway:

Zouk KL, however, apologised because “perhaps the manner in which our security members had conveyed their intentions could have been misunderstood. :sorry:

In his video, Sundquist said that being on the podium itself had been a “scary thing” for him because he had always been insecure about being on a platform. :(

He said that the incident had reminded him that “the pain still runs deep”. :crybaby:

do you guys think he's overreacting (like all youtubers are) or the security guards are wrong for taking his crutches away?

#2 Junjie

Junjie
  • Hi there!

• 2267 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2016 - 04:05 AM

Hahahha, this is so interesting.

Uh, I suppose this would depend on who's version of events one relies on? The whole thing sounds very different if you believe the club's version of events.

I do suspect however that the club might have been heavy-handed, or at least could have been more friendly from the sounds of it. But this may be my bias.

#3 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:54 AM

Interesting to read, but goddamn, I could do without that emoticon abuse.

#4 Junjie

Junjie
  • Hi there!

• 2267 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:56 AM

I would disagree actually, I actually felt they spiced up and delivered the story quite nicely and entertainingly.

Was going to mention it in my post but ended up just mentioning my points huh.

#5 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:19 AM

Just because you're on crutches doesn't mean you get to disobey the rules set forth by an establishment. Have your fun, and when a bouncer says that fun time is over, and to get down...you should probably do so. No crutch privilege allowed.

He looks like that one idiot who cried on youtube and asked people to "leave brittany alone!!!!!!!!!". Also, the emojis made this an eyesore to read -- it's like being forced to watch a power point that has too many slide effects.

Institutional crutches are a form of crutchism, and need to be done away with immediately. He needs to check his white privilege.

#6 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:16 AM

So many emotes :o 

Definitely an interesting video and ur wall of text makes it an even more interesting watch.

#7 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:24 AM

I'm sensing some crocodile tears...

#8 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:25 AM

Hahahha, this is so interesting.

Uh, I suppose this would depend on who's version of events one relies on? The whole thing sounds very different if you believe the club's version of events.

I do suspect however that the club might have been heavy-handed, or at least could have been more friendly from the sounds of it. But this may be my bias.

Just so you know, you didn't actually make any points in this post. 

#9 Junjie

Junjie
  • Hi there!

• 2267 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:34 AM

Just so you know, you didn't actually make any points in this post. 

1. The situation looks very different depending on who's story you believe.

2. Personally I suspect the club may be heavy handed, but that may be my bias.

I'm not claiming they are like, fantastic exceptional points, and neither am I here for either a debate or an essay. But I did say things in that post, yes yess.

#10 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:12 AM

It said it had reviewed closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage of the incident and found several “inaccuracies” in Sundquist’s claims.
The two security staff members promptly returned the crutches to Mr Sundquist once they were on the dance floor, and left him in the company of his friends.

They returned his crutches. Even as a disabled person, I can't see how the club acted inappropriately. He went somewhere that was off-limits to him and security removed him in the way they needed, without making him leave, so he could continue to enjoy his time out. It even sounds like they did everything they could to help him down so he wouldn't get hurt. Establishments like clubs are allowed to have special platforms for women only, if they desire, if that sells more drinks or gets more business. It's got nothing to do with not letting disabled people be seen, as he claims in his video. He's making it about ableism when it's not.

Sounds like this guy needs a waahhmbulance, maybe some boohooberry muffins to cheer himself up. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users