• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#1 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:44 AM

UK will hold a referendum whether or not they should exit the european union (EU) due to their poor immigration policy, economy, issues on sovereignty, among others.

i live nowhere near european union but i'm really interested about the result of the referendum. my country, malaysia, is a member of a group called ASEAN and while the level of cooperation is quite low, it does envision to be like EU one day. so if UK exits EU, it will definitely affect our aspiration. not to mention such a brazen move will also create a domino effect with countries like greece, portugal and others following suit which will negatively impact the global economy. so i say NO... DON'T BE SELFISH AND LEAVE THE EU, UK!!

Blogger%2Bindependent%2Bwhat%2Bthe%2Beu%

what do you think?

p/s: UK sure love to hold referendums, don't they? then the scotland independence referendum and now this...

#2 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:05 PM

Erm, the U.K has only had two referendums in its entirety. Once to change the voting procedure (many wanted AV in comparisons to FPTP), and this upcoming referendum.

Other than the recent Scottish independence referendum, no individual country has had one at all (or at least in recent decades).

#3 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:18 PM

Erm, the U.K has only had two referendums in its entirety. Once to change the voting procedure (many wanted AV in comparisons to FPTP), and this upcoming referendum.

And the one to stay in the common market in the 70s.

#4 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:27 PM

LEAVE IS WINNING. WHY

869e8352afe69e02bf6bd01a41721626.png

#5 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:38 PM

QzfWbZx.png

>Lowest point since 1985

Hoo-fucking-ray. Of course this had to happen like almost immediately before @Elindoril and I send off our incredibly expensive paperworks and I was banking on the pound staying strong so the incredibly tiny amount of money to my name would be worth something here. I've read that it's meant to recover within the next ~3 months but that's too far from now (and the person might have been talking about of his ass, he listed no sources).

Like it's gone from 1gbp = 1.85cad to = ~1.72cad in about two hours but when will it stop dropping? How low will it go?

#6 Paprika

Paprika
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:38 PM

WELP guess brexit is happening.

*starts looking up flights for a cheap vacation to London...*

@Turnip seems the leave camp believe brexit will benefit Britain in the long term. Sounds like a wild ride before then.

ALSO, looks like there might actually be another referendum coming soon, what with Scotland unanimously voting remain.

Edited by crepas, 23 June 2016 - 08:46 PM.

#7 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:01 PM

@Turnip seems the leave camp believe brexit will benefit Britain in the long term. Sounds like a wild ride before then.

It's great that it might benefit the UK in the long run, but the pound's value dropping really doesn't help when we're going to be paying a huge amount of money on paperwork within the next week....

#8 Paprika

Paprika
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:06 PM

Damn that's tough, sorry to hear that. : /

#9 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:08 PM

Such a stupid move UK

#10 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:32 PM

As an European living in a country with very tight relations with UK, I admit I am scared.

2037124.png

#11 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:36 PM

It's great that it might benefit the UK in the long run, but the pound's value dropping really doesn't help when we're going to be paying a huge amount of money on paperwork within the next week....

Wait, if you have to pay stuff in pounds in the upcoming weeks, wouldn't the devaluation of the pound/euro be helpful for you? Or do you need to convert from different currency? Sorry, idk where you live or anything. I could be super ignorant right now.

In any case, I am all for Britain getting out. If it is what is best for their country, obviously I think it is what they should do. They shouldn't have to pay for stupid countries and their problems (ie greece). 

#12 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:40 PM

I feel physically sick this morning. We have made a terrible terrible decision that there's no coming back from.

#13 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:44 PM

I feel physically sick this morning. We have made a terrible terrible decision that there's no coming back from.

France looks more appealing by the minute, right? :/
Flee, children, flee. Although, the consequences of this will know no boarders. Dark times ahead.

#14 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:46 PM

In any case, I am all for Britain getting out. If it is what is best for their country, obviously I think it is what they should do. They shouldn't have to pay for stupid countries and their problems (ie greece).

It's in no way best for us, it's a total fucking disaster. Everyone with any sense (including basically every economist) was backing remain. Leave was a campaign founded on lies, greed and xenophobia.

France looks more appealing by the minute, right? :/
Flee, children, flee. Although, the consequences of this will know no boarders. Dark times ahead.

Of course outside the EU we don't even have the option. :( Good thing Boy is coming back already. I've honestly never felt so anxious.

#15 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:57 PM

Wait, if you have to pay stuff in pounds in the upcoming weeks, wouldn't the devaluation of the pound/euro be helpful for you? Or do you need to convert from different currency? Sorry, idk where you live or anything. I could be super ignorant right now.

The higher the pound, the better the gbp to cad exchange rate is. I want the highest amount of money I can get from current exchange rates.

Edit: looks like the pound stabilised. Glad it didn't get worse :x

#16 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:11 PM

It's in no way best for us, it's a total fucking disaster. Everyone with any sense (including basically every economist) was backing remain. Leave was a campaign founded on lies, greed and xenophobia.

Of course outside the EU we don't even have the option. :( Good thing Boy is coming back already. I've honestly never felt so anxious.

I haven't heard an argument for leaving that couldn't be invalidated or that wasn't complete bs. I also saw that Scotland is saying that they see their future with the EU so that should be interesting.

#17 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:14 PM

Edit: looks like the pound stabilised. Glad it didn't get worse :x

Yet.

#18 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:21 PM

I haven't heard an argument for leaving that couldn't be invalidated or that wasn't complete bs. I also saw that Scotland is saying that they see their future with the EU so that should be interesting.

Bigger story than us leaving seems to be this is the trigger for the breakup of the UK.

I'm at my desk at work at 7.18am by the way. Because about 75% of our performers are European and rely on freedom of movement to a) get here easily and b) not cost us a fucking fortune in visas. I now have to write an urgent press release about how we plan to tackle a situation that nobody knows when/how it will take effect.

#19 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:21 PM

the very UK we all know and love is destroying itself before our very eyes. this is a truly a dark day in the history of humanity.

rip UK. :crybaby:

#20 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:25 PM

Here is a rather compelling argument for leave that I found on reddit.
WARNING: WALL OF TEXT

Spoiler

Yawn. The UK has voted AGAINST an EU law that has been passed on 2% of all legislation since 1999. We've voted for EU law on 95% of legislation. We elect our MEPs (and under a different, more democratic system than the General Election). But please tell me more about what a 20 year old anonymous fucktard on reddit with no proper life experience thinks is best.

#21 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:31 PM

I am 20, middle class, live in central England.

That's where I stopped reading

#22 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:37 PM

Hey, it's one of the first logical arguments I've seen that doesn't resort to racism and Islamaphobia for the leave group. Doesn't mean I agree with it.

And you should probably keep reading, because it's not as shallow as you would expect.

I'm on my phone and like I said, having to draft urgent press releases so I can't pull that apart line by line but if you think that's logical, you're a moron and don't understand the first thing about the EU. For instance, "the EU wants to bring unsuitable countries in". Every country IN the EU has the right to veto membership. If the UK think a country shouldn't be in the EU, we have always had the ability to stop their membership. Hence why Turkey was a scaremongering tactic used by leave, because we could pull the plug on them joining at any time we liked. We don't have that option now.

#23 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:43 PM

Suffer the wrath of a bad currency.

Love a spiteful Canadian.

#24 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:23 PM

Jesus why are you so condescending?
After you're done with the press releases, I would appreciate it if you could in fact take it apart line by line. I am a foreigner, and I will be the first to admit that I don't know the inner workings of the E.U. as well, since it has never really been of my concern. So, please inform me of why you think this argument is wrong.

Oh god I wonder why, when my job and the company I work for is now in danger, when my husband relies on freedom of movement for work, when my best friends work in law and banking and have already been put on notice this morning that their jobs are unsafe but will be working 22 hour days for the next few weeks regardless, when the markets are in freefall when I'm a homeowner in one of the most expensive cities in the world with a mortgage to pay, when I'm a woman who needed EU legislation for equal pay because my own government tried to shirk it, when the people backing the leave campaign yesterday claimed that the EU wanting to increase maternity pay was a bad thing, I wonder why I'm hugely upset why some kid on reddit, who won't yet be facing any of these problems, thinks that things like the EU wanting more countries involved, when they could never do that without our sayso, is reason to leave.

I'll agree that us leaving is probably more likely to promote change within the EU, but it's change that will never benefit us in any way whatsoever.

I really don't think you appreciate just how much this will have totally fucked up the lives of a number of the young Brits on this board, for years to come.

-----

David Cameron has resigned. Watching this statement in the office really has the horrible feeling that something truly life changing has happened.

#25 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:24 PM

Well, I'm pretty sure David Cameron just resigned.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: totm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users