brexit

totm

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#126 Paprika

Paprika
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:37 AM

Considering it was such a close tie, shouldn't there be another referendum? I feel like the results would have been different second time round, with a much higher turn up rate, and the people who are showing bregret would get a chance to recast their vote. Then again it could also show just how deep the divide within Britain has become.

Still can't believe Cameron is washing his hands of all this. He was the one who called on this referendum, with all the finality it came attached with. :/

#127 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:05 AM

Considering it was such a close tie, shouldn't there be another referendum? I feel like the results would have been different second time round, with a much higher turn up rate, and the people who are showing bregret would get a chance to recast their vote.

Problem is if you do that where do you stop and who picks the levels to stop at

Still can't believe Cameron is washing his hands of all this. He was the one who called on this referendum, with all the finality it came attached with

Hes trying to distance himself for his own career's sake, either in Europe or on the lecture scene

#128 Bee

Bee
  • 1169 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:11 AM

Still can't believe Cameron is washing his hands of all this. He was the one who called on this referendum, with all the finality it came attached with. :/

Eh, I'd do the same to be honest. He promised to hold the referendum if he got voted in as PM (which he did) and he expected us to vote remain. He actually never said anything about what he would do after the results of the referendum. Seeing as he wanted us to remain in the EU, it's not surprising he is resigning as he'd having to negotiate and lead a UK that does not fit his political views.

#129 Paprika

Paprika
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:54 AM

Problem is if you do that where do you stop and who picks the levels to stop at

Hes trying to distance himself for his own career's sake, either in Europe or on the lecture scene

At the second one? People didn't bother showing up because they thought for sure it was going to result in a remain vote, and some idiots voted leave to make a statement. I see your point though.

Eh, I'd do the same to be honest. He promised to hold the referendum if he got voted in as PM (which he did) and he expected us to vote remain. He actually never said anything about what he would do after the results of the referendum. Seeing as he wanted us to remain in the EU, it's not surprising he is resigning as he'd having to negotiate and lead a UK that does not fit his political views.

I'm not sure the referendum should have been called at all, nor he promise to hold one. Making important decisions via popular vote doesn't even necessarily mean that it is the will of England to leave EU, considering a large number of whom have very limited knowledge of exactly what it is they are voting out of and are largely going by tabloid headlines and bus advertisements. Even if we have access to information, we are still limited by how much we read and how bothered we are to sort through the bias.

#130 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:14 AM

very limited knowledge of exactly what it is they are voting out of

there is this on both sides.

case and example I have 4 friends who voted to remain as they did not know what they where voting for and thought its best to vote remain.  I also have 2 family members who did not understand what leave where stating so voted remain even after I tried to explain the pros and cons, they still did not get it and voted remain as it was the less risky.

and I had many friends who voted leave not really understanding what it was they where voting for.

#131 Paprika

Paprika
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:17 AM

there is this on both sides.

case and example I have 4 friends who voted to remain as they did not know what they where voting for and thought its best to vote remain.  I also have 2 family members who did not understand what leave where stating so voted remain even after I tried to explain the pros and cons, they still did not get it and voted remain as it was the less risky.

and I had many friends who voted leave not really understanding what it was they where voting for.

Even more reason not to hold a referendum at all, right? From what I have read, I believe it's in the UK's interest to remain in the EU, but I'm sure there are many people blindly voting remain.

#132 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:18 AM

I wanted it to be directed at facts on costs and laws, such as in the last 6 months the EU parliament have spent E4.1m on deciding if oven gloves are not thick enough.  For me details like this should have been reported on.

Not a Briton, but I'm getting my PhD in biomedical researcher for preventative medicine - had you considered the cost burden of thermal burns throughout the EU from substandard oven gloves? How about lost production from missed work days? Worse yet, should someone whose profession is cooking, a loss of a job due to disability should the burns be bad enough. Grant money is NOT easy to come by and someone had to write a very long request for that funding. I'm willing to bet it wasn't frivolous. It's quite possible that this had become a public health issue and a burden on the health care system.

#133 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:30 AM

hehe could not resist just got sent this:

3a5790538ee4d355a2b3fcdaf7785204.png

@Tetiel thank you this is exactly what I was trying to put forward in my post (im not great at typing down my thoughts) as a "leaver" not understanding why things cost so much, if they had of explained this to me better (like you just did then) I might not have voted like I did.  Agreed there any many more items costing X that I did not understand like why it cost 10m every time they moved the EU parliament from Brussels to the other place (cant remember the name) just because their own law stated that they could not be in one place.  When asked do they agree to this everyone said we don't understand it but there is nothing they can do as it would take a referendum to amend it. 

For me I felt really torn when it came to voting day as I felt I was let down by both sides on turning my vote.  In the end it was down to making our own laws that swayed me.

#134 legendx

legendx
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:36 AM

A whole lot of internal party politics ending with the most uncertain (read: bad) period Britain has ever seen. Really feel for the people in the UK especially Scotland. No surprise that some are calling for a second referendum. #Regrexit?

#135 Bee

Bee
  • 1169 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:44 AM

I'm not sure the referendum should have been called at all, nor he promise to hold one. Making important decisions via popular vote doesn't even necessarily mean that it is the will of England to leave EU, considering a large number of whom have very limited knowledge of exactly what it is they are voting out of and are largely going by tabloid headlines and bus advertisements. Even if we have access to information, we are still limited by how much we read and how bothered we are to sort through the bias.

He did promise though, although I do agree with you that maybe a referendum should not have been held. The leave campaign obfuscated a lot of issues about the EU and played on valid (in some cases) fears, and the remain campaign did not do enough to show the benefits of remaining in the EU, and the uncertainty we'd be facing if we did leave. In any case, what has happened has happened and there's likely nothing to be done for it but to make the best of the situation.

My new bugbear are the leave politicians who want access to the single market but don't want the freedom of movement that comes with it. YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT. 

#136 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:05 AM

My new bugbear are the leave politicians who want access to the single market but don't want the freedom of movement that comes with it. YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT.

Which everybody knew beforehand, because, Norway.

We've lost a ton of funding this week at work. Sigh. I've basically not stopped working since the decision came out. :(

#137 Guppie

Guppie
  • 1285 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:05 AM

Scandinavia and the World

#138 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:21 AM

Scotland is an interesting one. They could barely have coped economically as an independent country when oil prices were over $100 a barrel and the oil price is currently less than half what it was which would leave a massive hole in their public finances not to mention that they wouldn't be keen on joining the Euro.

As for students, I'm pretty sure a part of the negotiations will ensure that the situation for students is effectively unchanged because that would be in nobody's best interests (and until the negotiations take place nothing will change anyway). I'm still hanging on the hope that we'll never actually pull the trigger on Article 50 given how biased it is against the country seeking to leave and then have another referendum to overrule it, the EU effectively holds all the cards once we start that timer running.

#139 Guppie

Guppie
  • 1285 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:51 AM

Scotland is an interesting one. They could barely have coped economically as an independent country when oil prices were over $100 a barrel and the oil price is currently less than half what it was which would leave a massive hole in their public finances not to mention that they wouldn't be keen on joining the Euro.

Isn't that why they didn't vote to leave the UK in 2014?

#140 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:08 AM

Isn't that why they didn't vote to leave the UK in 2014?

The oil price was still around $100 a barrel then so it wasn't related directly to that, many people did want to keep the pound rather than having to use the euro though.

#141 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:16 PM

My niece apparently came home from primary school in tears because other children told her that her (Swedish) mum will be sent away. My nephew got SENT home because he hit one of the children saying it. Ffs.

#142 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:08 PM

My niece apparently came home from primary school in tears because other children told her that her (Swedish) mum will be sent away. My nephew got SENT home because he hit one of the children saying it. Ffs.

That's awful. :/ The worrying thing is that the kids who said that won't even know what it really means but they're no doubt being exposed to that kind of attitude at home all the time and it's bound to have some effect on their thoughts growing up...

#143 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:48 PM

At the second one? People didn't bother showing up because they thought for sure it was going to result in a remain vote, and some idiots voted leave to make a statement. I see your point though.

Even more reason not to hold a referendum at all, right? From what I have read, I believe it's in the UK's interest to remain in the EU, but I'm sure there are many people blindly voting remain.

I'm sure political votes (referendums or not) will always have people blindly voting in it. There's several reasons for it, but lack of interest in politics and disbelief in politicians in general leads to such behaviours, is probably the main one. It doesn't help when politician make lies their campaign cornerstones, leading people to vote "whatever" because politicians are all the same. It's a never ending cycle that would be refrained if politics was more transparent and caring about the People, the way it was supposed to be, but apparently, and even after many centuries of bad decisions and "liars blindly guiding the People" has taught nothing to Humans.
If referendum decisions start to be recounted for one or another reason, that opens a precedent that shouldn't be opened. I don't know how things are in the UK, but here a recount or revote without necessity (as in, without a clear winning - more that 50%, for a party) would be unconstitutional, thus illegal. When People speaks, People speaks, independently the reason or false promises that lead to that decision, ultimately and ideally the People should be able to skim through the lies and make a conscious decision. Does it sucks? Yes, but that's how democracy works. 

That's sad and scary. We've been getting news about xenophobic acts. Today a video popped up with a man being harassed and verbally attacked by two or three young males in a bus and people around ignored it or didn't say anything. We've gotten many reports of portuguese folks being attacked and tell to "go home" by people younger than the years they've been there. Which makes what Badger said a sad true, it's something that's firmly rooted in some families and makes me wonder how will things be from now on since these people think they have the support of a party to be finally true to their thoughts towards foreigns. 

#144 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:18 PM

Today a video popped up with a man being harassed and verbally attacked by two or three young males in a bus and people around ignored it or didn't say anything.

If it's the same one I'm thinking of then people did stand up for the guy and they got arrested. So scary that xenophobia and racism has effectively been legitimised by the result of this completely unnecessary referendum. :/ Still important to note that those people are very much a minority though.

#145 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:33 PM

If it's the same one I'm thinking of then people did stand up for the guy and they got arrested. So scary that xenophobia and racism has effectively been legitimised by the result of this completely unnecessary referendum. :/ Still important to note that those people are very much a minority though.

If it's the same, that makes me feel a bit better about it, despite the whole situation being a sad demonstration of how unevolved we are when we think the opposite. The news here only showed up a bit of the video where the young males are screaming at the man to leave the country and go back to Africa and the man asking them how old are they "17? 18? I'm here longer than you", it was only 10 or 15 seconds. I wish news had showed the entire thing or at least enough to show people backing up the man. They also said xenophobic and racist acts spiked more that 50% these last couple of days. It's so scary. 

#146 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:36 PM

If it's the same, that makes me feel a bit better about it, despite the whole situation being a sad demonstration of how unevolved we are when we think the opposite. The news here only showed up a bit of the video where the young males are screaming at the man to leave the country and go back to Africa and the man asking them how old are they "17? 18? I'm here longer than you", it was only 10 or 15 seconds. I wish news had showed the entire thing or at least enough to show people backing up the man. They also said xenophobic and racist acts spiked more that 50% these last couple of days. It's so scary. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk...hester-36656382

No idea if that video is restricted to UK-only, I think it should be viewable.

#147 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:02 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...hester-36656382

No idea if that video is restricted to UK-only, I think it should be viewable.

Yep, that's the one. News only gave the first 15 seconds though, hence why I was convinced none of those people hearing it hadn't done anything.

#148 Lovato

Lovato
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this member!

• 308 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:24 PM

Every country has bad apples. It's just the way it is.

They also said xenophobic and racist acts spiked more that 50% these last couple of days. It's so scary. 

This statement is not true; or rather, it was deliberately manipulated by the leftist media to create panic (as usual).

Mark Hamilton (the assistant chief of the National Police chiefs' council hate crime division) stated that reports had increased via their online form by 57%, but this does not correlate or imply an actual increase in hate crimes. In fact, he actually stated:

Police forces are working closely with their communities to maintain unity and tolerance and prevent any hate crime or abuse following the EU referendum. At the national level, the vast majority of people are continuing to go about their lives in safety and security and there have been no major spikes in tensions reported.

#149 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:31 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-36672591

Looks like Boris Johnson isn't going to be running for leader of the Conservatives and therefore Prime Minister, thankfully. Nearly as surprising as the referendum result.

#150 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:38 AM

will be either Her (shudder) or the little hamster (bigger shudder).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: totm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users