14 replies to this topic

#1 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:01 PM

source

What Amber explained was exactly what I’d feared: through the Apple Music subscription, which I had, Apple now deletes files from its users’ computers. When I signed up for Apple Music, iTunes evaluated my massive collection of Mp3s and WAV files, scanned Apple’s database for what it considered matches, then removed the original files from my internal hard drive. REMOVED them. Deleted. If Apple Music saw a file it didn’t recognize—which came up often, since I’m a freelance composer and have many music files that I created myself—it would then download it to Apple’s database, delete it from my hard drive, and serve it back to me when I wanted to listen, just like it would with my other music files it had deleted.

“iCloud Music Library is turned on automatically when you set up your Apple Music Subscription…When your Apple Music Subscription term ends, you will lose access to any songs stored in your iCloud Music Library.

I rarely download music and keep all of the stuff I do have on thumbdrives because my computer's packed of crap, so I've never had this happen. I didn't even know it COULD happen. 

Is this a new thing? Do you think it'll eventually happen to everything that ends up downloaded, like music, software, etc since we're apparently doing away with physical copies of things? Is this something that you think is "ok" for companies to do? Should there be more transparency?

#2 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:05 PM

This is why people need to keep backups.

#3 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:07 PM

Redundancy!

#4 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:09 PM

THIS should be why? I always thought it was because computers crash and accidents happen, not because someone might offer me a free trial of something that would delete all my stuff. Though you get what you pay for, I guess.

#5 Required

Required
  • 922 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:18 PM

Spotify ftw

#6 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:42 PM

THIS should be why? I always thought it was because computers crash and accidents happen, not because someone might offer me a free trial of something that would delete all my stuff. Though you get what you pay for, I guess.

Maybe it is just my world but you shouldn't openly trust everything. It only takes one mistake (accidental or intentional) to lose everything. It could be anything like accidentally throwing away a piece of paper that ended up being important or your house burning down. As a packrat, I always keep multiple redundant copies and only trash them if I already have additional copies of every piece of information. I even keep backups of everything I downloaded that serves a purpose.

Just look at the forced Windows 10 upgrades. They might claim everything will still work but the truth is nothing is perfect and I've seen many systems go down because of it.

#7 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:43 PM

yeah, and windows 10 is what I was thinking of when I read the article. It seems like I read something a few months ago along the same lines.

#8 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 803 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:20 PM

This was probably in the terms and conditions that the user agreed upon signing up to the service...

#9 Junjie

Junjie
  • Hi there!

• 2267 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:30 AM

so is the T&C that allows Apple to steal yur soul (I bet you'd agree to it anyways, skipping through the clause xP)

#10 Daria

Daria
  • 419 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:36 AM

sounds like when U2 hacked their way into my playlist

but thats so weird i only download music illegally so wont be signing up to their apple music thing anyway xD

#11 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:36 AM

sounds like when U2 hacked their way into my playlist

Ugh I hated seeing that show up in my phone. At least give me some good music.

#12 Xwiint

Xwiint
  • 211 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:49 AM

so is the T&C that allows Apple to steal yur soul (I bet you'd agree to it anyways, skipping through the clause xP)

So....like the SouthPark episode of Apple crossed with the Human Centipede. This is extremely relevant now. 

I refuse to use Apple products, so I guess I dodged that bullet.

#13 Cyka

Cyka
  • 132 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:08 AM

yeah, and windows 10 is what I was thinking of when I read the article. It seems like I read something a few months ago along the same lines.

This is interesting... If it's not too much, could you possibly link me to the article or give me a vague title of it so I could search?

#14 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:28 PM

This is interesting... If it's not too much, could you possibly link me to the article or give me a vague title of it so I could search?

https://www.reddit.c...oving_software/

It does happen, though it is a lot easier to recover than this apple thing apparently is. Just google like "windows 10 deletes" or "windows 10 removed" and things will pop up.

#15 Cyka

Cyka
  • 132 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:17 PM

https://www.reddit.c...oving_software/

It does happen, though it is a lot easier to recover than this apple thing apparently is. Just google like "windows 10 deletes" or "windows 10 removed" and things will pop up.

Ooh got it, thanks alot!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: merica, apple

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users