#1 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:03 AM

source: http://www.thestar.c...larm-passenger/

US flight delayed after economist’s equations alarm passenger

WASHINGTON: It could be a case of racial profiling -- or doing math in the wrong place at the wrong time. sweat.gif

A noted economics professor was questioned by security after a fellow passenger reported that he was suspicious, scribbling intently on a notepad in what appeared to be cryptic code. mega_shok.gif

The pilot quickly determined that “the female passenger’s concerns are not valid,” American Airlines spokesman Casey Norton told AFP on Sunday.

According to media reports, Guido Menzio -- an Italian with olive skin and dark curly hair -- was traveling to give a talk when the woman next to him on the American Eagle flight from Philadelphia to Syracuse told the crew she was ill. puke.gif

After the plane returned to the gate and the woman disembarked, she reported that her real reason for wanting to turn back was that she was concerned about Menzio’s behavior. icon_rolleyes.gif

Menzio met with airline agents and security, who said he was suspected of “terrorism.” :argh:

The professor showed them that his scribbles were, in fact, a differential equation. :headshake:

The flight took off after a delay of about an hour. :thumbdown:

Menzio is a theoretical macroeconomist at the University of Pennsylvania, according to his faculty profile.

Last year, he won the Carlo Alberto Medal for Best Italian Economist Under 40. O_o

Menzio told the Washington Post in an email that “it is hard not to recognize in this incident, the ethos of (Donald) Trump’s voting base”, in a reference to the presidential hopeful’s anti-Islam, anti-immigration rhetoric. :shit:

The Republican candidate has advocated banning Muslims from entering the United States, building a border wall and deporting illegal immigrants. bangwall.gif

Norton would not comment on whether reports of suspicious passengers have increased recently, saying only such complaints “happen from time to time.” yawn.gif

Last month, a student in California was removed from a Southwest Airlines flight after he spoke on the phone in Arabic. rclxub.gif

qT7hRx7.jpg

should ruggedly handsome italian men be barred from flying because they will terrorize feeble female hearts?

#2 Daria

Daria
  • 419 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:26 AM

this is kind of pathetic.. trump should go back to the hole he came out from

im thankful i live far away from his influence

#3 Xwiint

Xwiint
  • 211 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:18 AM

I think this also shows the level of math education in America as well. Yes, differential equations is a college course, but most of the symbols are recognizable to anyone who has had pre-Calc. And if you're doing Diff Eq on a plane as a terrorist to, idk, calculate the trajectory of a missile...you're way too late. One simple calculation can take upwards of an hour for anyone learning it...a complicated PhD level equation can take days.

#4 firedrops

firedrops
  • 289 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:28 AM

LOL! I know someone who did their maths finals on a plane cause of reasons.

Does that mean they should be suspected of being a terrorist? -.-

#5 Tablyth

Tablyth
  • 64 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:25 AM

I have no words

#6 Junjie

Junjie
  • Hi there!

• 2267 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:28 AM

I have no words

Except these? :p :p

#7 Tablyth

Tablyth
  • 64 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:38 AM

Except these? :p :p

Except those of disappointment eheheh

#8 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:33 AM

An Italian professor doing math on an airplane = possible terrorism?  Why do we live in a world of stupid people?

#9 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:51 AM

There is an aspect of this you guys aren't seeing.

In the United States, people are generally told "If you see something, say something". This woman saw a man hunched over on a plane jotting something down on a notepad rapidly. She reported it to the staff who acted accordingly. I can't blame her for reporting unusual behavior in the way she did. Was it stupid? Sure. Is she to blame 100%? No.

Despite Mr.Menzio's claim that it was Donald Trump's influence that caused an event like this to happen, I can't help but think it was an offhand comment that this news outlet used in order to bring extra attention to an article.

You guys do you though.

#10 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:35 AM

I can't blame her for reporting unusual behavior 

Being stupid should be considered unusual behavior. 

She's a cunt

#11 GetJinxed

GetJinxed
  • Reckless Cheater

• 1423 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:50 AM

'Merica.. lel

"Menzio told the Washington Post in an email that “it is hard not to recognize in this incident, the ethos of (Donald) Trump’s voting base”, in a reference to the presidential hopeful’s anti-Islam, anti-immigration rhetoric. " ooooo burn  :lol2: 

#12 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:42 AM

There is an aspect of this you guys aren't seeing.

In the United States, people are generally told "If you see something, say something". This woman saw a man hunched over on a plane jotting something down on a notepad rapidly. She reported it to the staff who acted accordingly. I can't blame her for reporting unusual behavior in the way she did. Was it stupid? Sure. Is she to blame 100%? No.

Despite Mr.Menzio's claim that it was Donald Trump's influence that caused an event like this to happen, I can't help but think it was an offhand comment that this news outlet used in order to bring extra attention to an article.

You guys do you though.

There's another side you're not seeing.

A basic bitch not knowing math and english.

ODEs and PDEs are written with 95% numbers and the english alphabet. I'm sorry, if you think that is a cryptic code, then you haven't seen real ciphers and you're a basic bitch.

#13 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:12 AM

We are getting soooo soft. Frightened little sheep.

#14 jinq

jinq
  • 1554 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:12 PM

My high school had a janitor who thought some seniors' nerf guns were real ones and called the cops. Just the mentality over there i guess.

#15 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:39 AM

There's another side you're not seeing.

A basic bitch not knowing math and english.

ODEs and PDEs are written with 95% numbers and the english alphabet. I'm sorry, if you think that is a cryptic code, then you haven't seen real ciphers and you're a basic bitch.

I always knew Gravity Falls would be educational in some way to everybody.

I'm tempted to write a script that can encode a message (possibly multiple layers for maximum suspicion) so I can print out the encoded message and work on decoding it while traveling.

#16 Tablyth

Tablyth
  • 64 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:55 AM

My high school had a janitor who thought some seniors' nerf guns were real ones and called the cops. 

:rofl: 

Need more nerd janitors!

#17 Xwiint

Xwiint
  • 211 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:14 AM

:rofl: 

Need more nerd janitors!

I think the nerd part tends to disqualify people from being janitors...usually nerds manage to find a job that it, well, nerdy.

#18 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:42 AM

I think the nerd part tends to disqualify people from being janitors...usually nerds manage to find a job that it, well, nerdy.

I've been a janitor before

#19 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:39 AM

Someone needs to watch Good Will Hunting!

#20 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:08 AM

Nerd doesn't equal smart. And janitor doesn't equal stupid, or less intelligent.

#21 Xwiint

Xwiint
  • 211 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:11 AM

That's not what I meant, but whatever.

#22 Junjie

Junjie
  • Hi there!

• 2267 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:12 PM

What did u mean btw @Xwiint ? :)

Someone needs to watch Good Will Hunting!

Omg, meee. I need to finally get round to watching ittt.

#23 jaredyne

jaredyne
  • 1115 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:26 PM

Pretty sure maths is a form of terrorism though

#24 Junjie

Junjie
  • Hi there!

• 2267 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:28 PM

Pretty sure maths is a form of terrorism though

Terrorising your...brain??

#25 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:33 PM

wtf does Trump have to do with anything. Pretty sure fear of brown people and math existed before last year.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: totm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users