Quantcast

Photo

Is there a way to make the forums prettier?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 Tammy

Tammy
  • 430 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:15 AM

NeoCatdex is coming along... now in dark mode :)

VWKm583.jpg

Amazing! I'm so impressed haha

#52 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:09 AM

I'd use that theme tbh, it's super easy on the eyes.

#53 Kitty

Kitty
  • Kitten please 🐱

• 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:50 AM

NeoCatdex is coming along... now in dark mode :)

VWKm583.jpg

We wish to have.. lots haves. Although it started off as a funny thing to do, it looks pretty neat!

#54 Tammy

Tammy
  • 430 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:36 PM

@JellyWorldDoesntExist Any update on catdex? :p

#55 Jelly

Jelly
  • 68 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:54 AM

@JellyWorldDoesntExist Any update on catdex? :p

Progress is happening! I just get, uh, a little obsessive about making things look how I want :)

Logo gear is all animated and stuff, silly things in the forums that bug me are optimized, etc.

Gf3M2gw.jpg

Think I'll release a beta version sometime this week!

#56 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:31 AM

@JellyWorldDoesntExist omg 100% acid trip theme. I like it!

#57 Generic

Generic
  • 352 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:00 AM

@JellyWorldDoesntExist wowee, that genuinely looks fantastic. Is it tough to make these themes? I've messed around with Greasemonkey code before but never made my own code from scratch, any recommended guide for editing the look with it?

#58 Jelly

Jelly
  • 68 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:56 AM

@JellyWorldDoesntExist wowee, that genuinely looks fantastic. Is it tough to make these themes? I've messed around with Greasemonkey code before but never made my own code from scratch, any recommended guide for editing the look with it?

Thanks! And "tough" is subjective, haha. How's your CSS skill?

I'm using an extension called Stylish to override the page; it's available for Chrome, Firefox, and potentially other stuff too. Whatever you store in Stylish will override the CSS of the page, so long as it is equally-or-more specific. Want the background to be blue? Just type

body {background: blue;}

and save your changes. So, on the surface level, it's very easy! The complex parts come from your design goals, graphics skills, and coding ability. You'll for-sure want to be familiar with your browser's document inspector so that you can find and override styles. You can be extra-crafty and replace images with pseudo-content, add custom webfonts, etc. I'm hosting my stylesheet and resources on a server I use for other site-specific stylesheets, then referencing that in Stylish with the following:

@import url(https://mysite.com/mycoolstyle.css);

Downsides:

• @import is clunky; it's better to link stylesheets in the <head> of a page, but that isn't really an option here.
  • If you don't host your style overrides elsewhere, Stylish injects everything on to your page in a <style> block and you can't see line numbers if styles are conflicting/etc.
  • NeoCodex still has to download the base theme CSS and still loads all of those styles, so anything you want to change, you have to override. Sometimes, the defaults do things you don't want, so you have to be clever with your selectors and throw in some !important declarations to override inline CSS.
  • You can't change the site's HTML markup with CSS alone, so sometimes things are built in a way that makes it hard to achieve what you want.
  • If I share with others, y'all have to trust that I'm not a big jerk; you risk some privacy. I could pay attention to server logs and all the IPs that access my styles. I make stylesheets for private communities, usually dealing with illegal things, and don't keep logs... but if you're paranoid, that's not a guarantee. I could upload my images, webfonts, and CSS to an anonymized source like Dropbox, but that's still a matter of trusting a third party and I've had stylesheets elsewhere suddenly die out when Dropbox changed share links or had downtime. Plus, hassle for me and I am lazy. This is something I can do if people really want it, but no promises that you'll have the most-up-to-date versions of things.

You can also use Stylish to block annoying stuff on Neo, like content boxes that annoy you, ads, junk items, and so forth. I have a giant list of the stamps I own, for instance, and block those images in the Stamps store.

#59 Jelly

Jelly
  • 68 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:21 AM

Beta version is now released :)

http://www.neocodex....0283-neocatdex/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users