• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:43 PM

We have members from all over the world, and since recent events near me, I've thought more & more about Natural Disaster.

Has anyone here been struck by Natural Disaster in a major way? 

What's your experience?

What natural disaster has affected you the most? 

We got a photo of my cousins house... or lack there of today:

Spoiler

There are tons of other photos. The only other disaster I've had personal impact from that I can think of was the Tsunami in 2006 when I had a friend die while they were there on vacation. 

#2 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:46 PM

We are kinda lucky here, nothing ever happens in Buenos Aires. 

#3 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:54 PM

The only somewhat of one I've been alive for was the earthquake in Washington D.C. It was so powerful we felt it over here in Pittsburgh. Nothing got destroyed, but that's the closest I can come to a natural disaster.

#4 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:57 PM

Damn that's crazy about their house, sorry to see that.

During Hurricane Sandy, the house I was staying in did not have power, and it was bitterly cold. I would read during the day, but it would get dark around 5, and often I would be in bed by 6 because it was too cold to not have blankets on. Sometimes I would wrap them around me and read by candlelight, or since we still had hot water, take hour long showers, in fact by the end of the two weeks (that's how long this all lasted), the paint had started to bubble on the walls because of how long I was in there. 

My best friend had power thankfully, so for a few of the nights I slept on his floor in a sleeping bag next to a heater. We'd drive around and smoke, looking at the downed poles and trees.The lines at the gas station were incredible. One night we were driving and turned a corner and this huge tree was down across the road, there were no streetlights so we barely saw it in time. All in all, a pretty intense couple of weeks. 

#5 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:28 PM

We are kinda lucky here, nothing ever happens in Buenos Aires. 

I thought you guys got earthquakes? Guess I know nothing *_*

The only somewhat of one I've been alive for was the earthquake in Washington D.C. It was so powerful we felt it over here in Pittsburgh. Nothing got destroyed, but that's the closest I can come to a natural disaster.

That must of been pretty damn strong. Wowza.

During Hurricane Sandy, the house I was staying in did not have power, and it was bitterly cold. I would read during the day, but it would get dark around 5, and often I would be in bed by 6 because it was too cold to not have blankets on. Sometimes I would wrap them around me and read by candlelight, or since we still had hot water, take hour long showers, in fact by the end of the two weeks (that's how long this all lasted), the paint had started to bubble on the walls because of how long I was in there. 

This sounds like some post apocalyptic stuff. scary.

#6 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:42 PM

This sounds like some post apocalyptic stuff. scary.

It was pretty wild! The night of the actual storm was not very cold, kind of warm in fact, so I decided to walk around outside. Absolutely no one else was outside, it was like a ghost town. The wind howling around me, pouring rain. I walked around on the train tracks for a bit, there was a station near the house. Got some cool pictures, not sure where they are right now. Took them so long to get the trains back running, missed a bunch of school.

#7 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:08 PM

I thought you guys got earthquakes? Guess I know nothing *_*

Hahah no, that's Chile :p

#8 Bee

Bee
  • 1169 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:35 PM

We've been lucky. It's flooded in other parts of the UK, but we never get anything in London. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

#9 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:38 PM

not natural disaster per se, but around june every year since a couple of years ago indonesia has been setting its forest on fire to clear the land and plant palm oil trees. we malaysians, singaporeans and everyone else in the region will choke from the smog that lasts almost a month. :/

#10 testing321123

testing321123
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:44 PM

No Natural Disasters in Singapore.

No hurricane, no tsunamis, no earthquakes.

Well, unless you consider "haze" as a natural disaster. Our "neighbor" country burns forests to make way for their plantation, and the smog gets blown right into our country :/

Edited:

Same as Fikri hahaha.

Edited by testing321123, 18 May 2016 - 09:45 PM.

#11 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:46 PM

No Natural Disasters in Singapore.

No hurricane, no tsunamis, no earthquakes.

Well, unless you consider "haze" as a natural disaster. Our "neighbor" country burns forests to make way for their plantation, and the smog gets blown right into our country :/

Edited:

Same as Fikri hahaha.

i love how they shift the blame saying our companies are the ones owning those plantations. not to mention, the usual "we gave you oxygen for 11 months, so don't complain." :lol2:

#12 Bee

Bee
  • 1169 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:47 PM

not natural disaster per se, but around june every year since a couple of years ago indonesia has been setting its forest on fire to clear the land and plant palm oil trees. we malaysians, singaporeans and everyone else in the region will choke from the smog that lasts almost a month. :/

Yikes. Climate change, anyone? I guess they do that to export the oil?

#13 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:51 PM

Yikes. Climate change, anyone? I guess they do that to export the oil?

palm oil is in pretty much all food products and indonesia relies heavily on palm oil for its economy (biggest producer in the world) so it will be hard to tackle the issue. :/ burning the forest to clear the land is cost-effective and quick compared to having to do it manually.

the biggest forest fires in recent years is in 2013, i believe. indonesia contributed the most carbon dioxide emission in that entire year, surpassing US even. it was horrible.

#14 Daria

Daria
  • 419 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:16 PM

I've been fortunate enough to be away from the line of fire when natural disasters struck. There were bushfires in Victoria and floods in Queensland, fortunately NSW doesn't get too many natural disasters (other than storms in South Sydney).
in the city that I'm from in Russia, there are many bushfires during the summer time and the city is polluted as hell. One of the many reasons my family decided to move to Australia. We have one of the biggest rivers in the world flowing through our city in Russia, it used to be POLLUTED with fish in the 19th and early 20th centuries. My parents told me stories how a small boat couldn't even go through because all the fish were in the way. Since the Chinese industry hit off, the river has even been too dangerous to swim in let alone support any sort of marine life. (as it flows north, originating in China (and the Chinese always dump their factory waste in it)). It's been getting better but nowhere close as it used to be. A few years ago the river had overflown and there was some (severe) flooding in the city. I wasn't there to witness it though.

#15 Tammy

Tammy
  • 430 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:50 PM

There was a huge earthquake in NZ that devastated the entire city of Christchurch, luckily for me I live in Auckland so I wasn't hit hard but I know a lot of people who lost their homes and their jobs. It was also very difficult on the countries economy and the housing market in Auckland with the huge influx of people moving from chch

Edited by tammyisbored, 19 May 2016 - 02:37 AM.

#16 yeahneocodex

yeahneocodex
  • 98 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:11 AM

Luckily I live in a pretty chill place - But when there's one, it usually will be bad D: Even though mostly they have relation with the people cutting down trees and making the soil fall =/

#17 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:25 AM

Queensland (Australia) flood a few years back were rough. I wasn't directly impacted, but it was a super scary time. I was scared to leave our home and our town started to run out of food... MCDONALDS EVEN CLOSED DOWN FOR A WHILE (because they couldn't get burger patties lol). People, literally 20mins away, were trapped and their homes flooded. My university lost some rooms and the drive to the university lost a lot of houses. I had just flown in from scotland and was like "what the heck is happening?". It was really bad for some, but everyone in the whole city was really good about cleaning up and helping people all around to resettle and move on. I am thankful to have never been directly impacted by a horrific natural disaster. 

#18 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:29 AM

A lot of my family members lost their homes to the wildfires too :( Not to mention people in surrounding areas are off work for a while, in some cases it's indefinite. My dad was let go and called back a few times.

Hurricane Arthur hit us pretty bad. Obviously it wasn't as bad as some places get hit by hurricanes but pretty much our whole province had no electricity for a week and it took months to clean up the damage.

There was also an ice storm that knocked our power out for a few days and obviously it got really fucking cold without power.

#19 WarezHaxor

WarezHaxor
  • 668 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:53 AM

Not recently...but I lived in Florida during hurricane Andrew...that was intense to say the least. I remember being in school when it first struck, walked outside and trees were blowing all over the place, had to wait for parents to come pick us all up because it was a private school with no busses. Everything flooded, areas closed down, lots of total losses to homes and properties. I was pretty young so I don't remember everything, but what I do remember of it was horrible. Also went through the ice storm of 98 when new England got hammered with freezing rain and most places went without power for a week.

#20 Salade

Salade
  • 551 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:29 AM

The only natural disaster I remember is the windstorm Lothar on the 26th december of in 1999. It destroyed huge parts of Europe, the woods were basically flat. I was only 4 then, so I don't remember much apart from seeing trees just snap over or being uprooted and falling to the ground. And my mother was riding in a forest at the time, she was lucky to have survived. 

#21 Rauul

Rauul
  • Always drunk 坂本

• 1965 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:12 AM

Earthquakes... a lot ! i dont panic until my wall is cracking... that is the moment to hide in a safe place

i still remember the feb 27th 2010 earthquake... was sleeping and had to run outside because the building was cracking and though it was falling. after earthquake, we was trying to avoid tsunami. My aunt died

Atacama flood and mudflow, 25th march 2015, i was here in Buenos aires, but my mom and brother was at copiapo (my home) with the fucking rain, all city just flooded instantly, and the day after, a mudflow caused several damage, all the first floor of my house was fully of mud and shit (sewerage exploded in all city) 

#22 WarezHaxor

WarezHaxor
  • 668 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:18 AM

Oh man that sounds horrible. I've dealt with small earthquakes, insignificant tornadoes, blizzards, hurricanes, but never a tsunami or mudslide. I honestly think the mudslide has to be worse, couldn't imagine everything full of mud and rocks and debris, and then having the sewer systems exploding in the mix of it.

#23 Rauul

Rauul
  • Always drunk 坂本

• 1965 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:24 AM

Oh man that sounds horrible. I've dealt with small earthquakes, insignificant tornadoes, blizzards, hurricanes, but never a tsunami or mudslide. I honestly think the mudslide has to be worse, couldn't imagine everything full of mud and rocks and debris, and then having the sewer systems exploding in the mix of it.

And you have to add the fact all mining corp left their toxic garbish at the desert, so the mudflow had mud, poop and toxic minerals( Hg, Pb, As, etc)

#24 WarezHaxor

WarezHaxor
  • 668 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:52 AM

Oh damn that's great. I get that it's cheaper to just dump your waste off into the woods/desert/lakes and streams, but people gotta understand that the long term ramifications mean your business dried up because you destroyed the land from which your business was derived.

#25 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:56 AM

I'm just waiting for that earthquake that will destroy the west coast or maybe one of our volcano's will erupt.

Nothing major here since I've been alive that I can remember. Just minor earthquakes, droughts, little stuff like that.

Oh we do get big fires sometimes, last year there was some pretty bad ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users