Proposals

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Daria

Daria
  • 419 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:13 PM

My boyfriend and I talk about living together, getting married and starting a family more frequently than most couples of 2 years do. He always teases me that he already has everything planned out in his head of how he will propose to me. I secretly have a feeling that he will do it when we are overseas one day, or on the spot we met.. Other than that I really have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA of what he might be thinking about. 

Personally, I don't have a 'dream proposal', just as long as its something romantic and not a typical proposal over a romantic dinner like many movies promote it to be. I hate mainstream stuff. I love individuality and uniqueness and I love integrating them into my relationship.

SO, my question to all of you is:

What is your 'dream proposal'? (ie how do you want to propose/get proposed to?)

Or if you are already married, how were you proposed to/how did you propose?

Edited by cute, 19 May 2016 - 10:18 PM.

#2 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:24 PM

If you're getting ideas of how he's going to propose, chances are, it's going to be a complete surprise. :p

My dream proposal... eh... I never really thought about it. What would be ideal is if it were in a place with little to no people (I hate being embarrassed in public). But then again I don't really think about proposals often when it comes to relationships.

#3 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:24 PM

iXAd3ID.gif

I have a lot to say on this topic (not that I think I'll ever be proposed to) but this is my automatic feelings

PIZZAPIZZAPIZZAPIZZAPIZZAPIZZA

#4 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:26 PM

in my culture, people just send the entire family to meet another family if they wanna marry someone lmao. :doh: no romantic proposals whatsoever.

but if i have it my way, i'll propose/wanna be proposed kneeling in front of the other person in front of a huge public crowd. yeah, i know... it's cheesy but it will one heck of a story to tell the grandkids and I LOVE IT! :heart:

I have a lot to say on this topic (not that I think I'll ever be proposed to) but this is my automatic feelings

@shrouded *wink wink nudge nudge*

what are you waiting for? :p

#5 Daria

Daria
  • 419 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:33 PM

iXAd3ID.gif

PIZZAPIZZAPIZZAPIZZAPIZZAPIZZA

omg that gif is horrendous D:

mmmm speaking of pizza might order some tonight 

in my culture, people just send the entire family to meet another family if they wanna marry someone lmao. :doh: no romantic proposals whatsoever.

but if i have it my way, i'll propose/wanna be proposed kneeling in front of the other person in front of a huge public crowd. yeah, i know... it's cheesy but it will one heck of a story to tell the grandkids and I LOVE IT! :heart:

this reminds me of a video ive seen about an indian dude cheating on his wife, or whoever she was, and she comes to the restaurant with her entire family to abuse him xD

ahhh i dont think i could do a big crowd D: like @Karla , i would get super embarrassed and probably turn into tomato like i always do and then trip and break my toe or something

#6 Tammy

Tammy
  • 430 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:35 PM

I don't really have a dream proposal, but I know I would want it to be somewhere private without people watching.

When I was 19 my bf at the time proposed to me at Disneyworld, in front of the castle. It was terrifying, there were so many people there and they were all clapping and stuff .-. I told him that I needed time to think about it and then later I said no D;

Public proposals suck. Don't do it kids.

#7 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:37 PM

@shrouded *wink wink nudge nudge*

what are you waiting for? :p

No. 

#8 Daria

Daria
  • 419 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:40 PM

I don't really have a dream proposal, but I know I would want it to be somewhere private without people watching.

When I was 19 my bf at the time proposed to me at Disneyworld, in front of the castle. It was terrifying, there were so many people there and they were all clapping and stuff .-. I told him that I needed time to think about it and then later I said no D;

Public proposals suck. Don't do it kids.

how long were you dating for before he proposed?

at least you were nice enough not to decline him straight away in front of the people that way he probably would have felt more embarrassed than you.

i always see videos of guys making the biggest event and putting so much effort into a proposal and building up sooo much confidence to do it in front of so many people, only to basically be slapped in the face and said no to in front of so many people. I don't understand those types of girls :(

#9 Tammy

Tammy
  • 430 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:46 PM

how long were you dating for before he proposed?

at least you were nice enough not to decline him straight away in front of the people that way he probably would have felt more embarrassed than you.

i always see videos of guys making the biggest event and putting so much effort into a proposal and building up sooo much confidence to do it in front of so many people, only to basically be slapped in the face and said no to in front of so many people. I don't understand those types of girls :(

About 2 years, but I was so young and I really wasn't ready for that kind of commitment. He was a lovely guy but obsessed with getting married. We ended up breaking up because of the proposal incident and no less than 4 months later he was already engaged to someone else. They're still happily married now, 5 years later :) So I'm glad it all worked out for him.

I would never make a scene like that in public, but I can kind of understand it. It's so much pressure and you're so surprised and it's hard to figure out what to do or how to act in front of so many people with all those thoughts and feelings rushing through you.

Seriously people, public proposals are BAD ;-;

#10 Daria

Daria
  • 419 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:56 PM

About 2 years, but I was so young and I really wasn't ready for that kind of commitment. He was a lovely guy but obsessed with getting married. We ended up breaking up because of the proposal incident and no less than 4 months later he was already engaged to someone else. They're still happily married now, 5 years later :) So I'm glad it all worked out for him.

I would never make a scene like that in public, but I can kind of understand it. It's so much pressure and you're so surprised and it's hard to figure out what to do or how to act in front of so many people with all those thoughts and feelings rushing through you.

Seriously people, public proposals are BAD ;-;

oh wow 4 months later? I find that extreme :(

oh yeah, now that you mention the stuff about the emotions and the rush, i can sort of comprehend what they would be going through in that moment.. but still.. haha

my boyfriends friends got married 1.5 years ago (they were 21-23? at the time) and now theyre having a baby this month! I haven't seen or talked to them in a while and i don't really know them that well... is it weird that im DYYYING to visit them and the baby at the hospital when it's born? i just love pregnancy and babies and starting families. can't wait until i have my own :333

#11 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:08 PM

My husband arranged for us to go to "dinner and a movie", which was really a cover up story for what we really ended up doing. He took me to a big auditorium and we entered up the back to some classical music (he knows i like it), then we took our seats (as the only ones there) up the back and watched the "movie". He had arranged photos of us from when we were little, growing up, up until we met and how our lives had been mingling since then, and set it to music. Then, after the clip had ended, he lead me down to the front and up onto the stage and we danced to "can you feel the love tonight". He is good at dancing so we had "accidentally" been practising our moves in the weeks leading up to it lol. Part of the way through song though, he abruptly stopped the music and asked me to marry him. It was the sweetest! After i found the word "yes" in my all-over-the-place brain, he drew my attention to the balcony where he had invited all of our family and friends to watch in secret. They cheered. Before we went to meet them, we went up to thank the sound guy for his participation in the event and found that his whole family and some of his friends (easily 11+ people) had been watching on skype from across the ocean. :) Then we went out for dinner lol. It was nothing like i imagined being proposed to would be like, but it was completely perfect! :)  We had been dating for about 6months when he proposed. :)

#12 Tammy

Tammy
  • 430 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:08 PM

Hahaha it's not weird at all, it sounds like you're starting to get the mommy hormones :p

#13 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:12 PM

I could stuff a booster pack of Pokemon cards into a novelty sized ring box and it would be a dream for @Turnip.

#14 Tammy

Tammy
  • 430 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:13 PM

My husband arranged for us to go to "dinner and a movie", which was really a cover up story for what we really ended up doing. He took me to a big auditorium and we entered up the back to some classical music (he knows i like it), then we took our seats (as the only ones there) up the back and watched the "movie". He had arranged photos of us from when we were little, growing up, up until we met and how our lives had been mingling since then, and set it to music. Then, after the clip had ended, he lead me down to the front and up onto the stage and we danced to "can you feel the love tonight". He is good at dancing so we had "accidentally" been practising our moves in the weeks leading up to it lol. Part of the way through song though, he abruptly stopped the music and asked me to marry him. It was the sweetest! After i found the word "yes" in my all-over-the-place brain, he drew my attention to the balcony where he had invited all of our family and friends to watch in secret. They cheered. Before we went to meet them, we went up to thank the sound guy for his participation in the event and found that his whole family and some of his friends (easily 11+ people) had been watching on skype from across the ocean. :) Then we went out for dinner lol. It was nothing like i imagined being proposed to would be like, but it was completely perfect! :)  We had been dating for about 6months when he proposed. :)

Awwww! this is adorable! congratulations :D

#15 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:21 PM

:) Then we went out for dinner lol. It was nothing like i imagined being proposed to would be like, but it was completely perfect! :)   

This is cutest f'ing thing I have heard in a long time. I would probably die if my family and friends were there to witness anything but that story gave me the tingles.

I could stuff a booster pack of Pokemon cards into a novelty sized ring box and it would be a dream for @Turnip.

Get on it bro

#16 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:21 PM

Something thoughtful. Like one of my favourite places, place we met, somewhere really beautiful. 

One of my friends has been married for a few years now and her proposal was really cute. She and her husband met freshman year in high school. They were at a restaurant and he asked her to be his girlfriend by writing it on a cup of cherry coke float. Years and years later, he proposed to her at a beautiful park with 'will you marry me?' engraved on a glass mug filled with cherry coke float haha. I just thought that was so sweet. 

My other friend's husband had them go for a walk down the beach, and when they got to the end of their walk her best friends were there holding signs that said 'will you marry me?' 

Anyway, yeah. I want something that's semi-private anyway. I want to be surprised but I think the thing with the secret photographer is cute. He better make damn sure that I look good for it though. Nails done, hair done, etc. I won't be looking bad in my engagement photos. 

#17 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:59 PM

Ugh, if The Boy had attempted anything even remotely soppy, I would have laughed in his face and rejected him out of principle.

We were driving back from somewhere really early, and hungover. Ended up stopping somewhere because we weren't sure either of us were fit to drive. Snoozed in the car for a bit and the conversation basically went:

The Boy: You know we're probably going to get married?
Me: Do you think?
The Boy: Yeah. *long pause* Should we just do it? Seeing as it's inevitable?
Me: Alright then. Yeah.

7th anniversary in July. We'll be in Sardinia and will probably ignore it. True romance.

#18 yeahneocodex

yeahneocodex
  • 98 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:42 AM

Ugh, if The Boy had attempted anything even remotely soppy, I would have laughed in his face and rejected him out of principle.
We were driving back from somewhere really early, and hungover. Ended up stopping somewhere because we weren't sure either of us were fit to drive. Snoozed in the car for a bit and the conversation basically went:
The Boy: You know we're probably going to get married?
Me: Do you think?
The Boy: Yeah. *long pause* Should we just do it? Seeing as it's inevitable?
Me: Alright then. Yeah.
7th anniversary in July. We'll be in Sardinia and will probably ignore it. True romance.

Ahh, true love XD Congrats :p

#19 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:59 AM

The first marriage proposal that ever comes to mind is this one

Now would I be crazy enough to do something like this? Hell no! But kudos to the guy for pulling it off. 

I haven't thought about how I would ever intend to propose to a girl as each girl is different but it'd probably be thoughtful and unique to our relationship. 

#20 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:05 AM

Since I'm terrified of crowds I hope my bf never does a public proposal. I'm secretly hoping I just get a engagement ring from a gumball machine because I think it's a waste of money for something that's only worn until the wedding.

#21 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:09 AM

Or if you are already married, how were you proposed to/how did you propose?

My husband and I are both very introverted people, so I always hoped he wouldn't try to do some big public proposal because that was literally my worst nightmare.
Small and intimate is perfect for us.

So this is how it went down:

He is in the military and he had to go away for 5 months. He was on the other side of the country and I never missed anyone so much in my life. I lived alone and the days ticked by really slowly for the whole 5 months. The night his flight got in I heard a car outside my apartment building and ran to the window just in time to see him hop out of a cab, grab his suitcase and literally RUN inside lol I ran out the door and flew down the steps and we met each other halfway and I tackled him like a fucking puppy lol I was so happy. 

We went upstairs into the apartment and sat down on the couch and I was crying and he was telling me all about his trip and then he goes "Oh! I have something for you." immediately in my head I'm like "He's going to propose omg, this is it. This is the perfect moment." I braced myself and tried not to bawl as he dug through his suitcase and pulled out a big box. I opened it up expecting to find a ring box inside and instead it was a fucking CAT MUG. 

I took the mug out and looked inside it because I'm an idiot and still thought there may be a ring. There wasn't. I look at him and force a smile because the mug was cute and I didn't want to hurt his feelings. He goes "It really reminds me of you because it's so quirky and unique." and I told him I absolutely loved it. Which I did!

A few seconds later he goes "Oh.. I have something else too!" and gets down on one knee. He took my hands and said a whole bunch of wonderful things, pulled this gorgeous ring out of his pocket, and asked me to marry him. :) THE END. 

#22 Tammy

Tammy
  • 430 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:14 AM

My husband and I are both very introverted people, so I always hoped he wouldn't try to do some big public proposal because that was literally my worst nightmare.
Small and intimate is perfect for us.

So this is how it went down:

He is in the military and he had to go away for 5 months. He was on the other side of the country and I never missed anyone so much in my life. I lived alone and the days ticked by really slowly for the whole 5 months. The night his flight got in I heard a car outside my apartment building and ran to the window just in time to see him hop out of a cab, grab his suitcase and literally RUN inside lol I ran out the door and flew down the steps and we met each other halfway and I tackled him like a fucking puppy lol I was so happy. 

We went upstairs into the apartment and sat down on the couch and I was crying and he was telling me all about his trip and then he goes "Oh! I have something for you." immediately in my head I'm like "He's going to propose omg, this is it. This is the perfect moment." I braced myself and tried not to bawl as he dug through his suitcase and pulled out a big box. I opened it up expecting to find a ring box inside and instead it was a fucking CAT MUG. 

I took the mug out and looked inside it because I'm an idiot and still thought there may be a ring. There wasn't. I look at him and force a smile because the mug was cute and I didn't want to hurt his feelings. He goes "It really reminds me of you because it's so quirky and unique." and I told him I absolutely loved it. Which I did!

A few seconds later he goes "Oh.. I have something else too!" and gets down on one knee. He took my hands and said a whole bunch of wonderful things, pulled this gorgeous ring out of his pocket, and asked me to marry him. :) THE END. 

THIS IS SO PERFECT! The cat mug just makes it even better <3

#23 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:17 AM

THIS IS SO PERFECT! The cat mug just makes it even better <3

Yesss I still have it :) I keep it on my windowsill. 

#24 Junjie

Junjie
  • Hi there!

• 2267 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:25 AM

Okay, some of these were really amazing to read, particularly @Ali 's and @Tauriel 's. Thank you for this, great way to end a work week.

#25 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:34 AM

WTF I literally just typed a long thought out post complete with my proposal and I hit post and it disappeared. I am enraged! This is like the time I first applied to private, and the application vanished. *sigh*

I'll type it again in a second I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users