• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:48 AM

If you live in the United States, or maybe not, you've probably heard of the recent 'bathroom bills' which require people to utilize the bathroom of their biological sex. Let me clarify first: sex = which chromosomes you have and maybe which genitals you have, depending you're intersex or not, gender = your identity relating to masculinity, femininity and androgyny with how you dress, walk, talk, act, what roles you take on and how you live your life. Sex is a biological aspect of a person. Gender is a social construct and can be flexible depending on the person.

Anyways, these bathroom bills are pretty blatantly transphobic, in my opinion, as they single out all transgenders and mostly the people for these bills are characterizing all transgender people as perverts and sexual predators. Recently, due to these bathroom bills, women who are not transgender have been harassed because someone questioned whether they were a woman or not (which is something transgender folks deal with every day and is a constant fear in their life, as violence against transgender people is pretty high).

What do you think we should do to solve this?

Personally, I wish we never had sex/gender segregated restrooms. This would solve a lot of issues such as people with disabilities using the restroom with someone who can help them, single moms with little boys, or single dads with little girls, one parent out with their child of the opposite sex, etc etc. I believe the attacks against the population of transgender people in this nation is disgusting. My sister is MTF and has been harassed and assaulted multiple times. But more annoyingly, the people against letting people use the restroom they identify with constantly blather on about how laws and signs don't stop gunman from shooting out schools, but can't apply that same logic to sexual predators who attack people in restrooms (cuz yeah, a law is totally going to stop them *eyeroll*, nevermind there are very few documented cases of transgenders attacking people in restrooms if any, usually it's the other way around). But moreover, people are far more likely to be assaulted by someone they know, like their wives/husbands, siblings, parents, friends, priests, etc.

#2 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:57 AM

Personally, I think we should switch to a minimum of 1 unisex bathroom. In some places, that may mean having two unisex bathrooms, in some places it would mean a male, a female, and a uni. I am very much for states' rights and think the white house should stay out of it, but I think it's absolute bullshit we're cutting education all over the country and spending money arguing over bathrooms. If you educate the kids right, they'll have much better things to worry about than closets people shit in.

#3 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:25 AM

Personally, I think we should switch to a minimum of 1 unisex bathroom. In some places, that may mean having two unisex bathrooms, in some places it would mean a male, a female, and a uni. I am very much for states' rights and think the white house should stay out of it, but I think it's absolute bullshit we're cutting education all over the country and spending money arguing over bathrooms. If you educate the kids right, they'll have much better things to worry about than closets people shit in.

The issue is it's a state trying to implement a law that would actually endanger transpeople's lives by requiring them to go into the bathroom opposite of their gender identity -- North Carolina, namely. And actually, it only really punishes transgenders who aren't passable and they are more likely to experience violence. Because passable transgender people have been using the restroom of their choice forever and we've all probably pissed at the same time as someone who is transgender. I'd agree, except states like North Carolina, Texas, etc can't be trusted not to shit on transgender people's rights, and LGB people's rights. But I agree about our education. It's shouldn't be an issue. But it is.

#4 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:36 AM

The issue is it's a state trying to implement a law that would actually endanger transpeople's lives by requiring them to go into the bathroom opposite of their gender identity -- North Carolina, namely. And actually, it only really punishes transgenders who aren't passable and they are more likely to experience violence. Because passable transgender people have been using the restroom of their choice forever and we've all probably pissed at the same time as someone who is transgender. I'd agree, except states like North Carolina, Texas, etc can't be trusted not to shit on transgender people's rights, and LGB people's rights. But I agree about our education. It's shouldn't be an issue. But it is.

Having unisex bathrooms would make it a non-issue. The state I had in mind was actually Oklahoma, who just cut education funding by 109 million in the last year.

#5 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:43 AM

Yeah. That's how I feel. Unisex bathrooms would also solve other issues like people with disabilities, or dads out with their children -- because for some reason it's weird for dad to go into the restroom with their kids but less weird if moms do it and it shouldn't be weird at all for a parent to accompany their young child into a restroom when a family one isn't available. 

That sucks. Thanks for the link. Checking it out now!

#6 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:50 AM

Bathrooms should be unisex. Best bathroom I went into was in the Chipotle in Paris, it was a giant room with sinks in the middle and stalls around the walls. These stalls were very private, no gaps and pretty good sound wise if I were to guess. There were all sorts of people using them. Nothing awkward and the only choice that was different for some were using the accessibility stalls for their ease of use.

Yeah. That's how I feel. Unisex bathrooms would also solve other issues like people with disabilities, or dads out with their children -- because for some reason it's weird for dad to go into the restroom with their kids but less weird if moms do it and it shouldn't be weird at all for a parent to accompany their young child into a restroom when a family one isn't available. 

THIS. My dad had 4 daughters on average at a time to tout around. He'd get looks and questions when he took us to the bathroom. Sometimes he didn't have an old enough daughter around to take a younger sister to the bathroom. some people said he should ask female strangers to accompany us to the ladies room. Wtf? No.

#7 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:56 AM

I treat it the same as I do breast feeding... By normalizing it in my corner of the world. Fuck getting up every two seconds during dinner. We take turns.

#8 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:58 AM

I treat it the same as I do breast feeding... By normalizing it in my corner of the world. Fuck getting up every two seconds during dinner. We take turns.

Anyone who thinks you shouldn't be allowed to breastfeed in public can suck it. You shouldn't have to sit in a bathroom with a baby just cuz some people think it's 'gross' (it's not gross). You do you.

#9 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:09 PM

My thought on the issue.

Spoiler

#10 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:40 PM

Anyone who thinks you shouldn't be allowed to breastfeed in public can suck it. You shouldn't have to sit in a bathroom with a baby just cuz some people think it's 'gross' (it's not gross). You do you.

Where I work we have an entire policy around allowing mothers to breastfeed kids. Had one just earlier today actually. People against it either can discuss it with a manager or leave the store.

#11 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:58 PM

Living in the state at the center of all this, I can almost assuredly say it has nothing to do with bathrooms, at least here anyway. I believe 100% that the bill was passed in order to rally the troops so to speak. I think it will fuel the fire and drive conservatives to the polls in November, as Donald Trump certainly doesn't offer much in the way of encouragement. Things were fine a few months ago when people were using whichever bathroom they wanted, and the mayor of Charlotte passed an ordinance (which she'd been warned not to do) and the state responded. I am with Jess though, and I think the people in DC need to leave this (and tons of other issues) up to the states. Ultimately, I think it will be repealed and that's all fine and good. Here, the bill only applies to public/government facilities, and as always, private businesses are free to set their own policies. A unisex bathroom isn't a bad idea, but I don't think businesses ought to be forced to offer one.

#12 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:12 PM

You know I don't understand why we can have family bathrooms which includes every dang member, but not have a unisex one.
Besides the ones with Unisex means I can pee if either lines are full. Don't get me wrong, Im not here to abuse the unisex bathroom, but it's there. 
(Hey once or twice I had to go and went to the males cus I couldn't wait. No one said crap about it)
I'm lucky since I'm in cali and its more liberal imo. 
I understand why some are upset and there is a fear you know that some asshole will ruin it for everyone, but its just like that everywhere.

#13 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:52 PM

Last month I had to poop so badly that I stopped on my way home at a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. It had 1 stall in each bathroom. The men's was full. I used the women's bathroom. Some lady was laughing and told me it was a good thing I wasn't in North Carolina :(

#14 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:53 PM

Last month I had to poop so badly that I stopped on my way home at a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. It had 1 stall in each bathroom. The men's was full. I used the women's bathroom. Some lady was laughing and told me it was a good thing I wasn't in North Carolina :(

That's shitty. :c

No but, for real, what a rude lady.

#15 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:01 PM

That's shitty. :c

No but, for real, what a rude lady.

Oh no, she was joking with me. I told her when I went in that I was suffering.

#16 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:07 PM

Oh no, she was joking with me. I told her when I went in that I was suffering.

Haha oh. Well that's hilarious. xD I've totally used men's restrooms in emergencies before lol

#17 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:59 PM

Didn't read much but already heard all this very same bullshit even here. Locally we've got Male and Female Toilets. Baby Change/Parent Toilets and Disabled Toilets. The Parent toilets are unisex here, so are the Disabled Toilets. Hell, we've got a few local Tranny's here to use the opposite to what they are toilets and no one has kicked up a stink. Not a single fucking person has complained about the few people using the opposite of their gender toilets at all. 

I've definitely seen my fair share of stupid, lowly people abusing the shit out of mothers feeding their own baby's in public, even seen a few mothers who've covered up get abused just as bad. 

I mean what the fuck is so bad about someone needing to take a fucking piss or shit. I mean. Is a dude dressed a woman or whatever in the stall next to you gonna fucking kill you or something? 

<_<

Sorry, if I keep typing everythings just gonna get worse and I try not to babble and rant much on these damn topics xD

#18 Sirius

Sirius
  • Azkaban Survivor

• 99 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:31 PM

Unisex bathrooms, as stated above. Solves many problems, has little drawbacks. Unfortunately, I don't think anything will shut up the close-minded bigots who put these laws into place, though.

#19 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:04 PM

I'm all for unisex or letting someone use whatever bathroom they feel most comfortable in. Who cares, we're just in there to take a piss or take a crap. It's not like a whole lot goes on inside a bathroom, jesus fuck. Women are in a fucking stall with the door closed, if F identifying M wants to use our bathroom let them, you won't see much since they will be behind a closed door stall regardless. And on the male side, they have stalls and not just urinals right? I think people are making a big deal where it doesn't need to be made.

If someone is going to go into a bathroom to rape someone a sign on the door isn't going to stop them. 

#20 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:25 PM

Unisex restrooms, single person restroom (the male/female/handicapped kind) etc can help, but I am not bothered by any gender coming into my restroom. Because, there is very little opportunity to be seeing naked people in a restroom. I would be more uncomfortable with it being abused in high school locker rooms. There are probably tons of horny high school boys that have so little chance of seeing girls in their undies that they will pretend to be trans. But, in a bathroom, how could you spy on someone? Do places have toilets not in their own stalls?

#21 JustinHoodMusic

JustinHoodMusic
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:38 PM

I don't see the harm in unisex bathrooms, my grad school has only unisex and there are no issues...

#22 kbexx

kbexx
  • 45 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:18 PM

I don't have a problem with anyone using any toilet, but agree that unisex toilets would stop a lot of issues, not just around trans people. I've used male toilets at music festivals and concerts before... what girl hasn't? Never felt unsafe. Maybe I would feel unsafe if I was alone and it was late at night in a skeevy area... but I'd feel just as unsafe in any toilet in those circumstances. I feel like unisex toilets in general makes a lot of sense, especially as it can reduce the ridiculous lines that generate in female toilets while there are plenty of free stalls in male toilets. Have urinals separate, and all the stalls in a single block. Or something. Idk.  

Funniest thing I've ever heard on this topic was someone on reddit who said MTF women shouldn't use the female toilets since toilets are specifically designed for women's shits and couldn't handle those of someone who was born a man. Not even kidding. He based this on the fact that his parents had put a different toilet with a smaller base in the bathroom his sisters used to the one that he used. He couldn't be convinced otherwise. 

#23 laurennnn

laurennnn
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:54 AM

I think adding more unisex bathrooms would be helpful, but in the end you'll always have the people that are going to have an issue with it no matter what. Even my grandma who is fairly conservative thinks the whole thing is ridiculous, it hasn't been a problem in the past, and shouldn't be one now. 

Solution: get rid of the people that are making it an issue :)

#24 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:09 AM

I live in the bible belt of Washington State (yes, there is one - it's hell on earth for me) and this is an issue here for many people. They pull the sexual assault card saying that this would increase the amount of predation by pedophiles towards little girls, but the thing is... somehow this has only just become an issue. Why are we worried about our daughters now when we've let our sons in the bathrooms with theoretical boogeyman this entire time? Apparently, 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually assaulted by the time they turn 18 but the thing is... 34% of those victims are sexually assaulted by their family members. Many more by friends of the family.

Stranger danger is a fallacy when the majority of assailants are people you know and trust. Yet very little appears to be getting done about that. Thus making this entire thing completely idiotic. Especially when the longest serving Republican Speaker of the House is a serial pedophile who preyed on the boys he coached... this guy was second in line to be president for eight years. Let that sink in for a second. You'd think our politicians would know a thing or two about sexual predators considering, but it's not about facts, it's about fear. We don't understand trans people. They're newly open about it on a wide basis and it terrifies us. We don't like change. It scares us. So now they're the new scapegoat and easy target to ostracize.

#25 saudia

saudia
  • A whole new wooooorld

• 62 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 01:44 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with unisex bathrooms. It's unfair that there's people who are abused and assaulted for what they choose to be and identify as and are asking for equality. If unisex bathrooms are what would make them comfortable, then so be it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users