34 replies to this topic

#1 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:08 PM

Hello friends

Do any of you volunteer? What is your favourite way to give back?

Do you donate money at the checkout of grocery stores? 

Tell me ur feels on volunteering and philanthropy work.

I used to volunteer a lot more than I do now but I volunteer at the food bank to sort donations as well as I go to the University dorms to help out the evacuees that are staying there during the Forest Fires.

#2 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:23 PM

I used to volunteer at our humane society a year ago, but had to stop because of moving to college. I didn't have the time and a way to get there. I was a dog walker there. Even though that sounds easy, it requires a long class as well as earning three stickers on your badge which are awarded by the "veteran walkers". You have to learn how to take the dogs in and out of the place correctly, understand the walk board and what dogs can be walked by everyone, which ones are staff only, and the ones that are veteran and staff dogs. You also have to understand how to get one dog out of a cage that has two in it, as well as understand how to use the ez-walk harness.

Veteran walkers had I believe, 3 months of walking experience, and had to take a dog signal behavior class. Dogs that were veteran and staff only were the dogs with aggressiveness issues mainly, though some did have other issues.

I did take the dog signal behavior class, and was up for my veteran badge, but wasn't able to get it because of school and other such obligations. I still get weekly emails from them though, which got annoying after a while because I'm not able to volunteer anymore.

I loved volunteering there. It always made the dogs so happy to be taken out on a walk. And I loved when people would come in and ask about them, and I was able to give them some advice, because I knew they might just take one home. We did get puppies once, and we have to lock those cages because people stole puppies in the past. They were gone in about a week or so, tiny little things all yapping in one cage together. We had a large number of pit bulls once, which isn't uncommon. And at one point, we had so few dogs that each dog could have two cages. The single large cages, built for just one dog, have little gates between them if we want to open the cage so the dog has more room. We had so few dogs that month that we were able to do so, which was great. Until people started opening one door to take the dog out, and then opening the other door to put it back in but forgot to close the first door. We had dogs running everywhere. 

I loved the names we got too. A few Loki's, a Thor, and Odin..No Frigga though. I would have had the whole family, but we never got a Frigga. 

I'd love to do it again, but I have no transportation to get there, so even if I had the time next year, I wouldn't have a way to get there.

#3 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:24 PM

I volunteer with a project called Bridging the Digital Divide, where I go to the local library or senior citizen homes and help them with their smartphones, tablets, or laptops. Usually just stuff like helping them learn how to check email, or skype with their grandkids. Started doing this after my grandma kept sending me over to her neighbor's houses to do the same stuff. It's a pretty good time.

#4 WarezHaxor

WarezHaxor
  • 668 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:46 PM

I provide a local culinary school with equipment I'm replacing, my company donates 10% of our profits to the same school, and we take in the students for 2 week training sessions where I work 1 on 1 with them teaching them the ins and outs of high class dining and catering and successfully running an actual business. I also volunteer a bit of my time doing seminars with the classes at the school.

#5 Junjie

Junjie
  • Hi there!

• 2267 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:22 PM

I volunteered for years at events at a life coaching organisation I discovered while in uni. Was much more worthwhile learning that than the dry economic theories all day err day at school. (Though it was a pretty decent uni in itself, but that's another story).

Still hang out with the people there, excellent bunch and excellent place for meeting people, I'd say.

Also it later influenced me to get a job in events that's not related to what I studied. This is my current job right now.

#6 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:52 PM

Today we bought a fuck load of non perishable snacks for a homeless guy that we always see. And we put some sanitary items and put it in a nice bag. We try to do that sorta thing once a month. Other than that not much. I donate a lot of money to the Ehlers Danlos National Foundation too. Since I have EDS.

#7 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:06 PM

I haven't volunteered before (not that I can remember), but I really want to do something this June/July break. I'll probably go to a nursing home(?) and spend the day with the elders. A lot of times their families just dump them there and never go visit, they really need some loving. Maybe also go to an orphanage... I JUST WANT TO GIVE LUV

In my college there are some "leagues", sort of clubs of different subjects. I'm currently on only one, Humanization(?) League. A big issue we have with our doctors here is the lack of humanity. It's really important that this subject has focus in the medical formation, but in the end, it really depends on the person. But that's another issue.

So, one of things we'll get to do is go to those child cancer hospitals (I don't know how to explain it better, but I'm sure you know what I mean) and just play with the kids to hopefully make them forget their problems for some time. I've always loved the whole idea, but I never had the chance to do so. So that's something I'm really looking forward to!

#8 WarezHaxor

WarezHaxor
  • 668 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:14 PM

That reminds me of the craze that was/is going around hospitals...they have clowns, specifically employed by the hospital as a stress reliever for patients, and statistically they heal faster I guess.

Edited by WarezHaxor, 23 May 2016 - 05:15 PM.

#9 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:16 PM

That reminds me of the craze that was/is going around hospitals...they have clowns, specifically employed by the hospital as a stress reliever for patients, and statistically they heal faster I guess.

Yeah, that's the essence of it ^_^ and we will actually paint our faces as clowns too :p

#10 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:19 PM

This topic is A++++. I love volunteering! I had done things here and there around the different communities I grew up in to help out and lend a hand, but this past semester I've really gotten into it. Through my sorority (which requires a set number of service hours each semester) I've gotten to help out at the local food bank, clean up and build structures for the Bracken Bat Cave, prepare and serve meals at the Ronald McDonald House, and help out local business owners in setting up for the farmer's market. Pretty simple stuff but it means the world to some people, which in turn is extremely rewarding for my sisters and me.

This summer I plan on logging as many hours as possible in my free time. I was only able to get the bare minimum done during the school year because of classes and health probs, so I want to make up for that and then some. It's also tons of fun, especially if you're doing it with friends. My favorite event was going to the Bat Caves where over half of my club showed up and there were plenty of laughs to be had in between work. I encourage anyone interested in volunteering to seek out opportunities that have to do with your interests - it makes the time fly by much quicker and you might even forget you're working. (Side note: volunteering for local animal shelters is wonderful, but there are also so many people who need help. It's tempting to seek out something relatively easy like bottle-feeding newborn kittens, but be sure to broaden your horizons! There are so many different ways to help your community.)

As for giving back monetarily, my family is pretty big on that. We send a portion of our income to charities close to our hearts, and are huge suckers for donating money in the checkout line like you mentioned. Instead of buying that extra pack of gum, we donate a dollar or two. Even the smallest donations will do good.

#11 WarezHaxor

WarezHaxor
  • 668 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:20 PM

That's awesome and a highly rewarding experience I'd imagine. There's nothing more rewarding than making someone who is in pain laugh or smile in some of their darkest of times. Far too many people succumb to cancer and the like...a kid I went to high school with was diagnosed with prostate cancer at 16...that's horrible.

#12 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:31 PM

You really want that thread award.

#13 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:38 PM

At least someone is trying to drum up some activity. Award or no.

#14 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:47 PM

I'm sorry.

Did hundreds of hours at a local non-profit named Heal the Bay. I loved it there and want to get an actual job at their aquarium.

Also did about ~200 hours at an elementary school one summer. I got to teach the kiddos spanish and others how to read english (ESL).

#15 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:50 PM

I get paid bi-weekly and through payroll deduction I give 5% of each check to two different organizations, the local humane society and the local boys and girls club. I also am involved in a non-profit that raises money to help residents in my county in their times of need, and we collect various supplies from time to time for other local non-profits. For instance, last month we collected non perishables for a local food bank, this month we are collecting pop-top canned vegetables for the local meals on wheels chapter. Typically in August we collect school supplies for the boys and girls club and the local battered women's shelter, and some other month we buy hygiene supplies to hand out to the homeless shelter; so I try to give back as much as possible when time permits. If I don't have the time, I at least do what I can monetarily.

#16 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:24 PM

I'd love to do it again, but I have no transportation to get there, so even if I had the time next year, I wouldn't have a way to get there.

If you can't do it again, you could probably find volunteer opportunities on campus. Super awesome and helps your fellow classmates :) I did peer to peer counselling and it was really rewarding to just see people feel relieved after unloading their struggles.

Started doing this after my grandma kept sending me over to her neighbor's houses to do the same stuff. It's a pretty good time.

What a gr8 grandson you are. seriously. helping older people communicate is really beneficial the more they can't leave the house.

I provide a local culinary school with equipment I'm replacing, my company donates 10% of our profits to the same school, and we take in the students for 2 week training sessions where I work 1 on 1 with them teaching them the ins and outs of high class dining and catering and successfully running an actual business. I also volunteer a bit of my time doing seminars with the classes at the school.

Wow that's really generous all around. :3 sounds super rewarding ^_^

I volunteered for years at events at a life coaching organisation I discovered while in uni. Was much more worthwhile learning that than the dry economic theories all day err day at school. (Though it was a pretty decent uni in itself, but that's another story).

Also it later influenced me to get a job in events that's not related to what I studied. This is my current job right now.

This sounds really really awesome. Crazy how people go to school for 1 thing and come out doing another ;)

Today we bought a fuck load of non perishable snacks for a homeless guy that we always see. And we put some sanitary items and put it in a nice bag. We try to do that sorta thing once a month. Other than that not much. I donate a lot of money to the Ehlers Danlos National Foundation too. Since I have EDS.

Random acts of kindness are the BEST!!!!

In my college there are some "leagues", sort of clubs of different subjects. I'm currently on only one, Humanization(?) League. A big issue we have with our doctors here is the lack of humanity. It's really important that this subject has focus in the medical formation, but in the end, it really depends on the person. But that's another issue.

So, one of things we'll get to do is go to those child cancer hospitals (I don't know how to explain it better, but I'm sure you know what I mean) and just play with the kids to hopefully make them forget their problems for some time. I've always loved the whole idea, but I never had the chance to do so. So that's something I'm really looking forward to!

That's radical for you to see and actively be working toward fixing an issue in your own faculty. Props to you for that. You're a really kind man so I know that'll benefit your future patients.

This summer I plan on logging as many hours as possible in my free time. I was only able to get the bare minimum done during the school year because of classes and health probs, so I want to make up for that and then some. It's also tons of fun, especially if you're doing it with friends. My favorite event was going to the Bat Caves where over half of my club showed up and there were plenty of laughs to be had in between work. I encourage anyone interested in volunteering to seek out opportunities that have to do with your interests - it makes the time fly by much quicker and you might even forget you're working. (Side note: volunteering for local animal shelters is wonderful, but there are also so many people who need help. It's tempting to seek out something relatively easy like bottle-feeding newborn kittens, but be sure to broaden your horizons! There are so many different ways to help your community.)

This. Also your whole post but... <3 A lot of people don't think the opportunities are there but the most you push yourself the more you get out of it. The philanthropic part of greek life is what i wanted to partake in the most. :3

I really could not care a less tbh. Fikri wants it bad and that's all g with me. School ended and I have a list of at least a dozen thread topics I made during the year. :)

:3 

Also did about ~200 hours at an elementary school one summer. I got to teach the kiddos spanish and others how to read english (ESL).

Working with children is my favourite. Did Big Brothers & Big Sisters in senior high and it was super enriching. I got so attached though 

I get paid bi-weekly and through payroll deduction I give 5% of each check to two different organizations, the local humane society and the local boys and girls club. I also am involved in a non-profit that raises money to help residents in my county in their times of need, and we collect various supplies from time to time for other local non-profits. For instance, last month we collected non perishables for a local food bank, this month we are collecting pop-top canned vegetables for the local meals on wheels chapter. Typically in August we collect school supplies for the boys and girls club and the local battered women's shelter, and some other month we buy hygiene supplies to hand out to the homeless shelter; so I try to give back as much as possible when time permits. If I don't have the time, I at least do what I can monetarily.

Damn dude. Your community is lucky to have you in every way :)

#17 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:03 PM

Do any of you volunteer?

Not much anymore. =/

What is your favourite way to give back?

Purchasing backpacks, and making care packages for homeless.

Do you donate money at the checkout of grocery stores? 

Nope, generally if I donate it will be through the Combined Federal Campaign.

CFC is the world's largest and most successful annual workplace charity campaign, with almost 200 CFC campaigns throughout the country and overseas raising millions of dollars each year. Pledges made by Federal civilian, postal and military donors during the campaign season (September 1st to December 15th) support eligible non-profit organizations that provide health and human service benefits throughout the world. The Director of OPM has designated responsibility for day-to-day management of the program and to its CFC office.

Tell me ur feels on volunteering and philanthropy work.
I used to do a lot of volunteering through DECA and Collegiate DECA. It's a feel good thing, and you are helping out many different charities. Philanthropy on the other hand isn't as easy to say I like. Many rich people will create a Foundation under their name to bypass paying taxes in lieu of donating to their own charity where they head the cash flow of the monies that they have donated among others whom have donated. This leaves them seeming like they are better in spirit, but they are still bypassing taxes by being "philanthropists". Koch brothers have made me lose my faith in humanity. Luckily there are people out there like Bill Gates with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation who actually do GOOD for the world.

The Koch family foundations are a group of charitable foundations in the United States associated with the family of Fred C. Koch. The most prominent of these are the Charles Koch Foundation and the David H. Koch Charitable Foundation, created by two sons of Fred C. Koch who own the majority of Koch Industries, an oil, gas, paper, and chemical conglomerate which is the US's second-largest privately held company.[1] Charles' and David's foundations have provided millions of dollars to a variety of organizations, including libertarian or conservative think tanks. Areas of funding include think tanks, political advocacy, climate change scepticism, higher education scholarships, cancer research, arts, and science.

#18 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:23 PM

@Jess

You think this thread is slightly masturbatory?

#19 Daria

Daria
  • 419 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:30 PM

I don't volunteer as much as I'd like to, I always donate my old clothes to charity bins and sometimes donate money at the checkout though. I remember in year 7 or 8, my class supported a child in Africa. 

When I have my own business, I will definitely donate a percentage of my earnings to charities. And when I have more free time, do volunteer work at soup kitchens etc.

Some of you guys are really amazing for doing what you do :) Good on you for being so selfless, the world needs more of you.

#20 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:49 PM

I volunteer every christmas to help run a soup kitchen for homeless people.

I have of late been thinking about doing more for the homeless as its something close to my heart and we are only ever 1 decision away from being in a bad place.....

#21 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:34 AM

@Jess

You think this thread is slightly masturbatory?

Nothing like getting put on the spot first thing in the morning.

#22 Bee

Bee
  • 1169 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:21 AM

I currently volunteer with kids, although whilst I've been at uni I've not been able to go. It's really just taking them places like trampolining and picnics and whatnot, and tutoring when needed.  

I'd like to volunteer with the homeless this summer, and I'm joining the Army Reserve as a medical student so that I can gain some transferable skills to work for Medicins sans Frontieres when I qualify. That is one of my main life goals.

#23 Rainforce

Rainforce
  • 314 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:43 AM

Every summer I go to Albania  to volunteer with kids and give food packets to the local people. I also donate clothes I don't wear anymore and give money to the local shelters.

#24 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:49 AM

I do volunteer work at the local community center. A couple of years ago I co-started a project with a Portuguese teacher to help the local immigrants getting to know the language. We do monthly donations of money/non perishable goods to the goodwill of our district (?) after we collect them from our partners (grocery stores, schools and supermarket).

Also once or twice a year I give some very basic classes about technology (computer, skype, cell phones) stuff to some elders at the nursing home, it started with my grandma when she was still alive and when I noticed I was helping others trying to get in touch with their kids/grankids.
I've tried helping the institution to get someone especialized, but no one was available to be a volunteer. "Sure, I can do some volunteer work. How much are you willing to pay me?" *shrug*

Once a year I volunteer at the trauma service of an hospital in Lisbon since I was 17, because if it wasn't for them I wouldn't be here today.

This is not a volunteer work but eh... Three years ago our house was about to get burned because of a fire in the woods surronding us and the firefighters literally saved our lives -it was in the middle of the night and we had no idea what was going on until they knocked on our door. By the end of that Summer, Caveman and I decided to give back that selfless effort and we donated some money, anonimously, to the local unit (? Damn english) and months later we came to know that that money helped them buying a new ambulance and a firetruck. We still make monthly donations to them too.

#25 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:05 PM

I used to volunteer at the animal shelter every weekend, I want to start doing it again because if no one volunteers come in, the dogs don't get to go outside at all that day.

Dogs need to be outside, that's what they do ;-;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users