Israel, Palestine, where do you stand?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Tammy

Tammy
  • 430 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:06 PM

It's a complicated issue and I'm interested to see how people here feel about it

#2 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:10 PM

This gon b gud

popcorn-blank.gif

#3 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:16 PM

What's the exact issue? You can't have a debate thread without telling us what you want to debate about. You taking about the Israel/Palestine conflict?

I stand on American soil. Does that answer your question? Lol

#4 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:22 PM

I'm in a focus group right now ($125 to talk about politics for an hour and a half!) but I can't wait to get into this

#5 Tammy

Tammy
  • 430 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:23 PM

I figured it was obvious haha

- The Israel/Palestine conflict

- Incitement of violence

- Settlements in the west bank

- Two-state solution

- Israels right to exist as an independent Jewish nation

- Civilian casualties

- Alternative peace plans

- The Gaza strip in general...

Etc etc...

I'm not exactly sure what standing on American soil means :p I've met Americans with wildly different views regarding the conflict

Edited by Tammy, 25 May 2016 - 03:24 PM.

#6 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:25 PM

I figured it was obvious haha

- The Israel/Palestine conflict

- Incitement of violence

- Settlements in the west bank

- Two-state solution

- Israels right to exist as an independent Jewish nation

- Civilian casualties

- Alternative peace plans

Etc etc...

I'm not exactly sure what standing on American soil means :p I've met Americans with wildly different views regarding the conflict

I think he meant that he's literally standing on American land. Play on words. 

I can't exactly say what my stance as I haven't figured it out but I do believe that Israel offered a two state solution a long time ago (or something similar) and Palestine said no. Now they're complaining about it. It's kind of annoying. They offered, you said no and now you're complaining that you said no? You had the chance to say yes. 

#7 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:27 PM

You asked where we stand. I gave you the literal answer lol. I'll edit my post when I'm not on my phone.

#8 Tammy

Tammy
  • 430 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:30 PM

You asked where we stand. I gave you the literal answer lol. I'm edit my post when I'm not on my phone.

Ohhh haha you answered literally instead of metaphorically. That's probably the slowest I've ever been at catching a joke. This is serious business people! :p

#9 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:30 PM

You asked where we stand. I gave you the literal answer lol. I'll edit my post when I'm not on my phone.

You can edit you post. Click it and a button will appear.

#10 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:33 PM

You can edit you post. Click it and a button will appear.

Yes. I know. I refuse to type anything lengthy on my phone.

Why are your posts so damn tiny?!

#11 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:38 PM

I'm in a focus group right now ($125 to talk about politics for an hour and a half!) but I can't wait to get into this

I would like to be in this. It sounds a lot like my job, except I don't make $125 in 90 minutes. Dem feels.

#12 Tammy

Tammy
  • 430 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:39 PM

I think he meant that he's literally standing on American land. Play on words. 

I can't exactly say what my stance as I haven't figured it out but I do believe that Israel offered a two state solution a long time ago (or something similar) and Palestine said no. Now they're complaining about it. It's kind of annoying. They offered, you said no and now you're complaining that you said no? You had the chance to say yes. 

Yeah, from what I recall about the Camp David Summit, Ehud Barak offered Yasser Arafat ~95-97% of what he was asking for and he still said no basically on the principle that it was not 100%. That probably would have been a pretty decent solution since I doubt Israel would ever give 100% as that would include giving up Israels right to exist...

#13 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:33 PM

I think Israel needs to stop building on and occupying land that doesn't belong to them. They shouldn't take advantage of the fact that the people they are oppressing does not have the backing of the Western World.

That being said, no lasting peace will come about if the existing "government " in Palestine continues to adhere to anti-semitic rhetoric. 

It's a self perpetuating cycle of  hatred and retaliation. Both sides are increasingly resentful of each other. 

#14 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:41 PM

I think the US needs to mind their own business and go back to being isolationists while they figure their own shit out. We're going to get a red heifer soon enough and the whole middle east is going to be a hole because of it anyway. They're fighting over something that's already on its way to lost.

#15 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:14 PM

I think the US needs to mind their own business and go back to being isolationists while they figure their own shit out. We're going to get a red heifer soon enough and the whole middle east is going to be a hole because of it anyway. They're fighting over something that's already on its way to lost.

This ^. I hate that the US is always seen as the "worlds police" there are so many places and conflicts we should just stay out of.

Also, I may not believe much what the bible says, but I remember a passage I read when I was much younger. It outlined how there will ALWAYS be turmoil in the middle east. The Jews/Israelis will never, ever have peace.

#16 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:40 PM

Also, I may not believe much what the bible says, but I remember a passage I read when I was much younger. It outlined how there will ALWAYS be turmoil in the middle east. The Jews/Israelis will never, ever have peace.

Right. There won't be peace until Christ returns. Which is problematic if you're a non-believer, because then the fighting will never cease.

#17 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:42 PM

Right. There won't be peace until Christ returns. Which is problematic if you're a non-believer, because then the fighting will never cease.

Which is exactly what's happening, and will continue to happen until we as a species either kill each other off, or the Earth explodes somehow. There will never be peace over there.

#18 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:43 PM

It's problematic, period. Regardless of whether you're a believer or not.

#19 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:50 PM

I think Israel needs to stop building on and occupying land that doesn't belong to them. They shouldn't take advantage of the fact that the people they are oppressing does not have the backing of the Western World.

That being said, no lasting peace will come about if the existing "government " in Palestine continues to adhere to anti-semitic rhetoric. 

It's a self perpetuating cycle of  hatred and retaliation. Both sides are increasingly resentful of each other. 

I was really going to say something, but you literally covered everything I was going to say.

#20 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:02 PM

This ^. I hate that the US is always seen as the "worlds police" there are so many places and conflicts we should just stay out of.

This is where the red heifer comes in. Regardless of whether or not everyone believes in Christ, someone does, and that someone will still cause WW3 over a mound of dirt.

#21 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:12 PM

Sand*

#22 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:28 PM

I've studied about this issue before. The problem is that both sides have done so many atrocities that I have no idea who to stand with :/

This is how I feel. Both sides have extremists who are basically making sure a two-state solution never comes to fruition.

But I do believe that we give entirely too much aid to Israel. Like they're not a poor country by any means and I think the money could be better used elsewhere.

#23 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:04 AM

It's problematic, period. Regardless of whether you're a believer or not.

I meant it's problematic in that if you don't believe He will ever return, then naturally you can't believe that the fighting will ever subside.

#24 Goingtohell

Goingtohell
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:23 AM

My stance as an American is that America provides too much "aid" to Israel. Currently Palestinians are much worse off than Israelis. In the US Media, the majority of the news is about Palestinians attacking Israelis and US tourists, but we rarely seem to discuss the genocide of Palestinians by the Israelis. 

As a country, bluntly put, we are assisting Israel in oppressing Palestinians and committing genocide. 

Of course, both sides have committed atrocious acts against each other, but that doesn't justify Western support of one side over another.

Just my 2 cents.  

#25 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:07 AM

I meant it's problematic in that if you don't believe He will ever return, then naturally you can't believe that the fighting will ever subside.

The sad truth: Whether you believe or not, the fighting will never stop. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users