Quantcast

Photo

How do you feel about this? Third gender?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2016 - 11:59 PM

http://www.npr.org/2...as-third-gender

I like to think of myself as a pretty open, progressive person. But to be completely honest, this is a little confusing to me as my brain is accustomed to think of gender as either female or male, or at least something related to the two. Just not sure how you could be something else. I think this is new, so I don't feel bad about not understand yet. But what do you think?

#2 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:30 AM

You're American. You aren't culturally accustomed to more than 2 genders.

Native Americans, Indians and a boat load of other cultures believe in multiple genders. 

It's not that big of a deal.

#3 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:45 AM

I know it's not a big deal. A lot of shit Americans view as big deals aren't. But it's still an interesting concept I think? Something other than male or female? What are you?

#4 Derpy

Derpy
  • 134 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:51 AM

They feel neither male nor female so they're choosing to identify as neither. Idk it makes sense in my head. Like, I'm asexual and for a while when I first identified as it people used to be like wtf how can you not be sexually attracted to either males or females? But it made sense to me, I just never felt that way about either gender. 

It doesn't have to make sense to you, just as long as you accept it for what it is, y'know? I think it's pretty great that the world is starting to be more open-minded about these things. 

#5 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:29 AM

It's just confusing because it's new but once you practice it you'll get more used to the idea. Like Romy said, many cultures have already recognized the existence of more than 2 genders. 

#6 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:16 AM

Chromosomes do weird wacky things really. (For example, you could have XXY chromosomes and not even know it.)

Not to mention intersex people need a category to fall into rather than being pushed into the binary "male" or "female" options when they feel neither. 

I think there's a lot of special snowflakes who jump into this for attention, but I also believe that there's people that genuinely feel this way too. And we should try to come to understand those people, rather than think negatively about them. 

#7 Hikimaru

Hikimaru
  • Burst Linker

• 1049 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:23 AM

I don't like the idea to classify 7bi+ people under two categories and judge those who doesn't identify themselves in none of them.

Anyway, you don't have to understand it, as long as you respect.

#8 FelisNoctua

FelisNoctua
  • 657 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:47 AM

I know it's not a big deal. A lot of shit Americans view as big deals aren't. But it's still an interesting concept I think? Something other than male or female? What are you?

I'm cis-gendered female, bisexual, and don't think third gender is a big deal. I can understand how it could be complicated when it comes to identification paperwork. If it becomes a common option it'll be something along the lines of: when you're 18 you can change your identification to "NonBinary", providing you've filed it with [insert some government organization here].

When I really think about a purpose behind having gender (or sex) on regular identification, the reason falls short. My ID has my picture and my height (no weight in Florida, but it did in Arizona). They wouldn't really use the SEX: F to determine if they thought I could overpower them, or outrun them or anything. It doesn't seem to be on there to assist EMT's, because if they're doing something and my sex is important they'll be eyeballing it anyway. Same with hospitals...if I'm unconscious and need a catheter, they'll be eyeballing it anyway. Hmm. What good IS the gender on my ID....?

#9 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:52 AM

When I really think about a purpose behind having gender (or sex) on regular identification, the reason falls short. My ID has my picture and my height (no weight in Florida, but it did in Arizona). They wouldn't really use the SEX: F to determine if they thought I could overpower them, or outrun them or anything. It doesn't seem to be on there to assist EMT's, because if they're doing something and my sex is important they'll be eyeballing it anyway. Same with hospitals...if I'm unconscious and need a catheter, they'll be eyeballing it anyway. Hmm. What good IS the gender on my ID....?

Perhaps if you were badly disfigured in an accident, sex would further help to identify your body? Otherwise, I'm not sure. We're just used to placing an emphasis/having a strong identification with gender I guess. 

Edited by Nanarie, 18 June 2016 - 11:53 AM.

#10 Sirius

Sirius
  • Azkaban Survivor

• 99 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:39 PM

I think it's awesome that the state allowed them to legally list non-binary as their gender :) When I first started looking into asexuality and the grey spectrum of sexuality for myself, gender options other than m/f confused me, too. Now, though, with all the friends that I have that fall outside of the binary, when I hear an additional gender, it just floats in like m/f do for me.

#11 Generic

Generic
  • 352 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:15 PM

But what do you think?

Honestly I don't personally have much of an opinion on the idea of a 3rd gender at all. I can see how taking hormones can change your body and stuff and make you somewhere "between" male and female, so I guess the idea of a 3rd gender makes sense? I just don't see how recognizing nonbinary is a huge deal either way, to be totally honest. If people want to be nonbinary officially, sure, go for it. Really doesn't effect me, and it's such a (relatively) small percentage of the population I just don't even see why it gets so much attention.

tl;dr: I don't completely understand it, but I don't see why not to allow the option for a 3rd gender.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users