Quantcast

Photo

What do you wish they taught you in school?

totm life skills

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

1) Basic stitching is so ridiculously simple that even I know how to do it, you can learn it in like 5 minutes. I sewed up a hole in my old jeans the other day and I'm fairly sure the part I fixed is stronger than, and will last longer than, the rest of the denim. :p

2) In my experience unless it's quite expensive (to the point that you wouldn't want to have to replace it) then you can machine wash pretty much anything, even if it says dry clean only, just use a coolish wash.

3) I just put most things in together (excluding suits). :rolleyes: Nothing has shrunk or changed colour so far so I'm sticking with it.

4) Learn the power of compound interest, start as young as possible even if it's only a small amount.

1) I can't get things to look as nice as I like to. :/ It's always 100% obvious I tried to patch the holes.

2-4) Thank you! I'm gonna look into the compound interest thing. :D

#27 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:43 PM

2-4) Thank you! I'm gonna look into the compound interest thing. :D

Just to get a flavour of it I'm going to steal a nice chart from the first website which came up when I googled which seems like a decent one:

E25xm28.jpg

On there @Emily and Waser Lave save the same amount of money on a regular basis with the same interest rate and the only difference is that @Emily started at 25 years old while Waser Lave started at 35. Just that 10 year difference meant that @Emily ended up with twice as much (and she only put in an extra 33% in that 10 year period), think about that when you're considering planning for retirement (start as soon as you're able, even a small amount). ;)

#28 WarezHaxor

WarezHaxor
  • 668 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:07 PM

Spot on @Waser Lave as usual! That stinks that you didn't have much for classes on programming and what not...I had cisco networking classes that got my CCNA certified, but programming was lacking for sure.

#29 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:23 PM

Jesus Waser. Thank you for the advice. :D

#30 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:35 PM

You don't really realise how much you learned in school until you actually think about it, do you? I can also sew and cook (how's that for gender equality in teaching), I can change a plug without killing myself, I can fix toilets and other basic plumbing stuff, I can grow plants relatively successfully, I worked for Yorkshire Bank when I was 10/11 (child labour), woodwork, public speaking etc. We actually do a surprisingly good job over here...

Well I did woodwork and electronics, as well as food tech and textiles, so yes, gender equality indeed. I do genuinely think I have most of the skills needed to get me through life without too much hassle. And when I consider it hassle, I have a very practical husband. :heart: We have such traditional gender roles in our house. I worked for HSBC when I was about 12!!

I do wish I had a tiny bit more understanding of what's going on with my pension, but that's more that I don't have enough interest to read things properly and figure it out, as opposed to not have the capability to do so.

#31 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:40 PM

I worked for HSBC when I was about 12!!

This is just getting freaky... O_o What a pair of bankers we are.

#32 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:22 PM

If you're bankers, can you call up your HSBC banker friends and tell them to let me spend my money. Card stopped working yesterday. 

Anyway, uh... taxes. 

cda2632639c3e9b036efd18ac1a56cb98e2a8153

#33 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:24 PM

If you're bankers, can you call up your HSBC banker friends and tell them to let me spend my money. Card stopped working yesterday. 

Anyway, uh... taxes. 

Stay in the UK and you won't need to learn how to do taxes. PAYE.

#34 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:28 PM

Stay in the UK and you won't need to learn how to do taxes. PAYE.

She's American though, Americans have to pay tax to the US Government regardless of where they work as long as they're a US citizen I believe (hence Boris renouncing his US citizenship).

#35 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:42 PM

She's American though, Americans have to pay tax to the US Government regardless of where they work as long as they're a US citizen I believe (hence Boris renouncing his US citizenship).

Oh. Well that's shit.

They keep calling me about suspected fraudulent activity on my card and it's always "I'm going to go through some recent transactions with you. Did you spend: £3.80 in Pret? £5.60 in Sainsburys? £11.90 in some wine bar? Yet more money in Pret? Very good Mrs Ali, I've unblocked your card". What part of that was suspicious you cretins?!?

#36 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:43 PM

Oh. Well that's shit.

Just needs to become a British citizen with all the benefits that come with it like tea being tax deductible, free scones on Sundays etc.

#37 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:38 PM

Oh. Well that's shit.

They keep calling me about suspected fraudulent activity on my card and it's always "I'm going to go through some recent transactions with you. Did you spend: £3.80 in Pret? £5.60 in Sainsburys? £11.90 in some wine bar? Yet more money in Pret? Very good Mrs Ali, I've unblocked your card". What part of that was suspicious you cretins?!?

Haha, that's what Bank of America used to do to me too. I haven't received anything from HSBC though. I noticed it wasn't working at Tesco yesterday, so I thought I'd wait and see if it was a system thing. Didn't work at all today, and it happens to be the day my phone auto tops up so I couldn't use my phone for a bit. When I tried to log in online, it said that my records aren't found in their system, but I could log in from the phone app. I don't even know. I'll have to call them tomorrow.

Just needs to become a British citizen with all the benefits that come with it like tea being tax deductible, free scones on Sundays etc.

At this point it looks like I'll have to get married for citizenship. 

#38 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:28 PM

At this point it looks like I'll have to get married for citizenship.

I'm flattered and everything but the distance could be an issue and you'll really need to ask @Ali for permission first, it's only fair.

#39 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:56 PM

I'm flattered and everything but the distance could be an issue and you'll really need to ask @Ali for permission first, it's only fair.

@Ali can I use Waser strictly for a citizenship marriage? No love involved and I'll return him looking all shiny and new. 

#40 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:25 PM

@Ali can I use Waser strictly for a citizenship marriage? No love involved and I'll return him looking all shiny and new. 

I suppose. If you must.

#41 Turbo

Turbo
  • 122 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:52 PM

Has this been done? I don't know but I heard this on the radio this morning and thought it would be an interesting topic.

What is something you wish and/or think should have been taught in school? Life skills!

Me:

- I wish they would have taught me how to do taxes, I'm a pro now, but still that's a valuable life lesson.

- How to change a tire.. thankfully I haven't had to do this (yet) but I have no idea how to do this.

- Money management. I learned how to write a check and fill out an envelope, but nothing about managing money.

I'll add more later

my first thought was taxes.

Youtube how to change a tire!!!!!!!!

and yes basic money management. (including taxes)

#42 Daria

Daria
  • 419 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:03 PM

Anyway, uh... taxes. 

Definitely taxes!

Although it's not too hard here in Australia. Just have to fill out some forms online with the help of a payment summary from the employer and you're set.

#43 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:35 AM

I wish personal finance was mandatory. Same with life skills, like cooking and sewing. I'm not talking about everyone being an accountant or a chef, just everyone having basic skills, and knowledge of how to care for themselves.

Also, a little child development and psychology would be nice. That way, people could stop pretending they're experts.

Edited by MozzarellaSticks, 28 June 2016 - 04:36 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: totm, life skills

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users