Curate an Intro To Makeup box for a teenager ~

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Pryanka

Pryanka
  • 232 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:00 PM

We used to have tenants lease a floor in our home and their daughter basically grew up in my house. I consider her my baby sister and she's growing up way too fast and turning 13 this year.

I already know I'm giving her a starter makeup collection (she owns nothing beyond Chapstick, and not even the tinted kind), and as the unofficial makeup fairy amongst my family and friends, it's basically my duty to remedy that this year.

I don't want to miss anything obvious! This isn't about high-end beauty, so she isn't getting any Naked palettes or Nars concealers here. But I want her to have some cult drugstore basics with maybe an occasional splurge. The names can't be inappropriate, so basically nothing from Nars fits the bill anyway lol. She's got medium/dark skin, warm undertone.

So far, this is what I've got. If you were curating a box for a 13 year old (niece, daughter, sister, friend, etc) of yours, what would you include?

My Box So Far

- Real Techniques blending sponge

- ELF C Brush (HG eyeshadow brush unless you've got small eyelids, I own like...7 of them)

- Milani or ELF eyeshadow primer

- Wet N Wild Comfort Zone eyeshadow palette

- Rimmel ScandalEyes black eyeliner + maybe a loreal infallible one in a different color

- Rimmel Kate Moss lipstick (need other lipstick shade + brand ideas)

- Maybelline BB Cream or maayyybe the cushion foundation

- Rimmel Stay Matte finishing powder (or the Coty airspun one, iunno yet)

- Revlon lip butters! At least 2-3 of them. Juicy Papaya was my faaave

- Maybelline Falsies mascara (recommendation by Mishelle)

What I still need/what I'm not getting

- Mascara. I don't wear mascara so I have no idea what's good

- A crease brush. Or just a better basics brush set in general. Ideas?

- Eyebrow stuff. Does a 13 year old need eyebrow stuff? probably not

- Highlighting/contouring stuff. See reason above ^

Anyway I have a few obvious things down, but I can't think of what else to add!

Edited by Pryanka, 02 July 2016 - 12:33 AM.

#2 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:25 PM

the maybelline falsies mascara is really good

Amazon has a really nice brush set on sale for like $10 it has all the brushes you'll ever need

ELF has a really nice eyebrow brush/pencil I use it almost every day and I think it's like $2

Get her a NYX contour kit. They're pretty cheap and easy to use.

#3 Pryanka

Pryanka
  • 232 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:44 PM

the maybelline falsies mascara is really good

Amazon has a really nice brush set on sale for like $10 it has all the brushes you'll ever need

ELF has a really nice eyebrow brush/pencil I use it almost every day and I think it's like $2

Get her a NYX contour kit. They're pretty cheap and easy to use.

I'm not a fan of the NYX contour kits :( The lights are too light and the darks just...idk look awkward on my skintone. If anything, I'd have to try a contour stick from Black Radiance. I experimented and most of the normal contour shades are not dark enough to contour for her. I love theBalm's bahama mama for myself, but it doesn't work for her.

I don't like the quality of the amazon brush set :( Bought it for myself and promptly returned it. I was thinking more along the lines of Sonia Kashuk since her sets routinely go on clearance at Target and they're prettier and better quality. Maybe Real Techniques...I like the few RT brushes I own. 

I'll look into Maybelline Falsies! Seems like Maybelline is the brand to go to. Do you think it's better or worse than the Great Lash mascara? Online, that one pops up a lot as a good drugstore mascara. 

I don't need things to be /cheap/ necessarily, just good sturdy drugstore products. I have the ELF brow kit but I'm so lazy that I think a brow gel would be more convenient and easier. If I was going to include an eyebrow product, it'd probably be a tinted brow gel. But also, does a 13 year old really need brow gel? I seriously just added brows to my own makeup routine lol

#4 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:15 AM

I'm not a fan of the NYX contour kits :( The lights are too light and the darks just...idk look awkward on my skintone. If anything, I'd have to try a contour stick from Black Radiance. I experimented and most of the normal contour shades are not dark enough to contour for her. I love theBalm's bahama mama for myself, but it doesn't work for her.

I don't like the quality of the amazon brush set :( Bought it for myself and promptly returned it. I was thinking more along the lines of Sonia Kashuk since her sets routinely go on clearance at Target and they're prettier and better quality. Maybe Real Techniques...I like the few RT brushes I own. 

I'll look into Maybelline Falsies! Seems like Maybelline is the brand to go to. Do you think it's better or worse than the Great Lash mascara? Online, that one pops up a lot as a good drugstore mascara. 

I don't need things to be /cheap/ necessarily, just good sturdy drugstore products. I have the ELF brow kit but I'm so lazy that I think a brow gel would be more convenient and easier. If I was going to include an eyebrow product, it'd probably be a tinted brow gel. But also, does a 13 year old really need brow gel? I seriously just added brows to my own makeup routine lol

I use the nyx contour kit and I'm black so I'm pretty sure it would work for her as long as you get the right shade for her skin. It comes in light, medium and deep.

I haven't used great lash but out of the drug store makeups I have tried maybelline falsies is by far the best and gives the best results.

I dont think a 13 year old needs a brow gel. Just get her an eyebrow pencil and call it a day, I'm sure she has great eyebrows and doesn't need to do much to them.

#5 Pryanka

Pryanka
  • 232 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:30 AM

I use the nyx contour kit and I'm black so I'm pretty sure it would work for her as long as you get the right shade for her skin. It comes in light, medium and deep.

I haven't used great lash but out of the drug store makeups I have tried maybelline falsies is by far the best and gives the best results.

I dont think a 13 year old needs a brow gel. Just get her an eyebrow pencil and call it a day, I'm sure she has great eyebrows and doesn't need to do much to them.

Whaaaaat. Do you have pictures of before/after with the nyx contour? Which one are you talking about specifically? All the nyx contour kits I have seen looked too light or too orange. Maybe that's why I nixed the idea (omg crappy pun but I couldn't stop myself). Google tells me there's some sort of 6-pan palette...I haven't seen that one at my drugstores, is that the one you like? My nearest Ulta is like 30 mins away and I've been there like 3x in my life.

#6 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:10 AM

If you haven't already, try posting the same thread on reddit at /r/makeupaddiction, they'll have loads of ideas and they're ace for low end dupes of high end products if you did have any ideas.

BB/CC cream over foundation, the kid is 13, she doesn't need foundation for years. And unless she's got particularly oily skin, she may not need the finishing powder either. 13 year old either have ace skin and shouldn't be covering it up, or have spots and the like and should be limiting the amount they're using anyway. A BB cream and a decent concealer should be about all she needs!

If you're going to splurge on something, remember the shelf life of cosmetics and that she won't be using some of this stuff as frequently as an adult. I spend an obscene amount on lipstick because I think there's something really special about it and a sense of occasion, but a 13 year old has a lot less use for "occasion" type makeup than me at 27. Make any splurges something very natural coloured that she'll get to use a lot, and feel good about using.

Brows, depends a lot on what her brows are like naturally. Unless they're exceptionally sparse, probably not necessary at 13 though, you'd be better teaching her never to over pluck them etc so she can keep them as natural as possible.

Useless to you on brand and product recommendations I'm afraid because I'm in the UK and it's a very different market. :p I'm now trying to think of inappropriately named Nars products besides Orgasm and Superorgasm...:p Urban Decay on the other hand, endless filth in their naming.

#7 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:56 AM

Whaaaaat. Do you have pictures of before/after with the nyx contour? Which one are you talking about specifically? All the nyx contour kits I have seen looked too light or too orange. Maybe that's why I nixed the idea (omg crappy pun but I couldn't stop myself). Google tells me there's some sort of 6-pan palette...I haven't seen that one at my drugstores, is that the one you like? My nearest Ulta is like 30 mins away and I've been there like 3x in my life.

Yeah I picked it up at Ulta, I don't think I've ever seen NYX in a drugstore here. That sucks that it's so far away. Maybe you can buy it online?

http://www.ulta.com/...TwlRoCFnrw_wcB#

This is the one that I use. There's just 3 options. A dark, a light and a highlight.

https://www.instagra...y=supermishelle this is a picture of me with no make up

this is full make up with contour https://www.instagra...y=supermishelle

But i rarely even use the entire kit and contour my whole face. I mostly contour my nose & cheeks and highlight my eyebrows

#8 Pryanka

Pryanka
  • 232 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:05 PM

If you haven't already, try posting the same thread on reddit at /r/makeupaddiction, they'll have loads of ideas and they're ace for low end dupes of high end products if you did have any ideas.

BB/CC cream over foundation, the kid is 13, she doesn't need foundation for years. And unless she's got particularly oily skin, she may not need the finishing powder either. 13 year old either have ace skin and shouldn't be covering it up, or have spots and the like and should be limiting the amount they're using anyway. A BB cream and a decent concealer should be about all she needs!

If you're going to splurge on something, remember the shelf life of cosmetics and that she won't be using some of this stuff as frequently as an adult. I spend an obscene amount on lipstick because I think there's something really special about it and a sense of occasion, but a 13 year old has a lot less use for "occasion" type makeup than me at 27. Make any splurges something very natural coloured that she'll get to use a lot, and feel good about using.

Brows, depends a lot on what her brows are like naturally. Unless they're exceptionally sparse, probably not necessary at 13 though, you'd be better teaching her never to over pluck them etc so she can keep them as natural as possible.

Useless to you on brand and product recommendations I'm afraid because I'm in the UK and it's a very different market. :p I'm now trying to think of inappropriately named Nars products besides Orgasm and Superorgasm... :p Urban Decay on the other hand, endless filth in their naming.

I don't generally think that a 13 year old needs too much makeup so I completely agree with you!! But she's in the Drama Club and loves theater. She also sings and performs quite often + does contests every year like NYSSMA (if you've heard of it?)

This is stuff I probably should have included in my OP to explain why I'm even considering some of the makeup products that most teenagers definitely don't need.

I wanna give her the Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream for sure. 

She's unfortunately the unlucky 13 year old who's got acne and already has some marks from that. I gave her a charcoal scrub but I'm pretty sure she's too lazy to use it regularly. I was thinking of giving her a lightweight foundation along with the BB Cream so when she's dressing up for her shows and performances, she has something to match her own skintone rather than borrowing from somebody else.

I still have to find a good concealer!! Was thinking the Maybelline Fit Me one....but I might have to take her shopping with me so I can get a better idea of what shades work on 

Her skin is on the oily side and she puts coconut oil in her hair on the weekends, which doesn't help her forehead one bit xD 

OH maybe some blotting sheets should be on the list hmmm

Lippies wise...definitely going to go with neutrals and tinted balms (like the lip butters) for the most part. I too have an unhealthy number of lip colors that I adore looking at but don't wear enough haha. I want to give her at least one red and one vampy shade if her plays or performances ever call for it, but all the rest will be wearable.

NARS also has a blush called Deep Throat >< Haha I'm not too familiar with most of their other products because I own things similar in quality that are cheaper. UD is definitely run by a stoner, I swear. 

PS living in the UK aint that bad. You guys have Superdrug and Makeup Revolution. I have like 50 things I want from them (only slight exaggeration) but knowing that I can't get the drugstore coupon/discounts & have to pay for shipping is what holds me back.

OH and the Reddit - I was on MUA for a while and stopped b/c I just spent too much time on it and there were too many gorgeous things that enabled me to spend more money than I should. Hehe I avoid the rabbit hole now.

Yeah I picked it up at Ulta, I don't think I've ever seen NYX in a drugstore here. That sucks that it's so far away. Maybe you can buy it online?

http://www.ulta.com/...TwlRoCFnrw_wcB#

This is the one that I use. There's just 3 options. A dark, a light and a highlight.

https://www.instagra...y=supermishelle this is a picture of me with no make up

this is full make up with contour https://www.instagra...y=supermishelle

But i rarely even use the entire kit and contour my whole face. I mostly contour my nose & cheeks and highlight my eyebrows

Oh hello, you fiiine :wub:

I'll pick the contour kit up to try! Do you use Medium or Dark? She's got to be close to you in skintone, but undertones might be different. My CVS has a small standing display of all the NYX basics, but it's a limited selection of NYX essentials. No eyeshadows or the newer releases. Very limited selection of everything else. None of the lovely vampy soft matte lip creams, for example lol.

Edited by Pryanka, 05 July 2016 - 12:13 PM.

#9 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2016 - 01:00 PM

I don't generally think that a 13 year old needs too much makeup so I completely agree with you!! But she's in the Drama Club and loves theater. She also sings and performs quite often + does contests every year like NYSSMA (if you've heard of it?)

This is stuff I probably should have included in my OP to explain why I'm even considering some of the makeup products that most teenagers definitely don't need.

I wanna give her the Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream for sure. 

She's unfortunately the unlucky 13 year old who's got acne and already has some marks from that. I gave her a charcoal scrub but I'm pretty sure she's too lazy to use it regularly. I was thinking of giving her a lightweight foundation along with the BB Cream so when she's dressing up for her shows and performances, she has something to match her own skintone rather than borrowing from somebody else.

I still have to find a good concealer!! Was thinking the Maybelline Fit Me one....but I might have to take her shopping with me so I can get a better idea of what shades work on 

Her skin is on the oily side and she puts coconut oil in her hair on the weekends, which doesn't help her forehead one bit xD 

OH maybe some blotting sheets should be on the list hmmm

Lippies wise...definitely going to go with neutrals and tinted balms (like the lip butters) for the most part. I too have an unhealthy number of lip colors that I adore looking at but don't wear enough haha. I want to give her at least one red and one vampy shade if her plays or performances ever call for it, but all the rest will be wearable.

NARS also has a blush called Deep Throat >< Haha I'm not too familiar with most of their other products because I own things similar in quality that are cheaper. UD is definitely run by a stoner, I swear. 

PS living in the UK aint that bad. You guys have Superdrug and Makeup Revolution. I have like 50 things I want from them (only slight exaggeration) but knowing that I can't get the drugstore coupon/discounts & have to pay for shipping is what holds me back.

OH and the Reddit - I was on MUA for a while and stopped b/c I just spent too much time on it and there were too many gorgeous things that enabled me to spend more money than I should. Hehe I avoid the rabbit hole now.

I'll pick the contour kit up to try! Do you use Medium or Dark? She's got to be close to you in skintone, but undertones might be different. My CVS has a small standing display of all the NYX basics, but it's a limited selection of NYX essentials. No eyeshadows or the newer releases. Very limited selection of everything else. None of the lovely vampy soft matte lip creams, for example lol.

I'll pick the contour kit up to try! Do you use Medium or Dark? She's got to be close to you in skintone, but undertones might be different.

@Ali

I don't generally think that a 13 year old needs too much makeup, but she's in the Drama Club and loves theater. She also sings and performs quite often + does contests every year like NYSSMA (if you've heard of it?)

for myself. I don't think a 13 year old really needs contour products, or even eyebrow products.

My CVS has a small standing display of all the NYX basics, but it's a limited selection of NYX essentials. No eyeshadows or the newer releases. Very limited selection of everything else. 

I use the medium one and it works pretty well except I tanned a bit since its summer time so I'm probably gonna have to transition to the dark one until winter.

#10 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:16 AM

Physicians Formula BB Cream. Easy for her, and it's got a good amount of SPF for her skin.

ELF baked highlighter. Cheap, easy highlight with pigment.

NYC Liquid Illuminator. It's like a mini intro to highlighting. She'll probably find liquid easier to apply than powder, too.

#11 Pryanka

Pryanka
  • 232 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:15 PM

I've heard good things about the Physicians Formula BB Cream actually, so i think it'll come down to which one has a better match to her skintone (between this and the maybelline bb cream)

I'll add the NYX liquid highlight to my list too since I have to go to Ulta to pick up the NYX contour kit anyway

Thank you for the suggestions @MozzarellaSticks !

Edited by Pryanka, 05 July 2016 - 12:15 PM.

#12 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:59 PM

Physician's Formula is darker tinted. Their lightest is still pretty dark.

#13 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:12 PM

The burt's bees bb cream smells like ass, if anyone was curious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users