Is r180 detector possible?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainDantes

CaptainDantes
  • 1104 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:53 AM

Hi! Apologies if this has been discussed before. But I was wondering if there was a way to detect when items retire in neopets? I feel like that would be a big np maker to know before everyone else. Or even if there's any rarity change (like the shuriken)? I know a little about programming, but no idea if this sort of thing is possible.

Edited by CaptainDantes, 03 July 2016 - 07:57 AM.

#2 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:01 AM

Hi! Apologies if this has been discussed before. But I was wondering if there was a way to detect when items retire in neopets? I feel like that would be a big np maker to know before everyone else. Or even if there's any rarity change (like the shuriken)? I know a little about programming, but no idea if this sort of thing is possible.

Probably not, because without prior knowledge it's not really easy to tell. I doubt something like that would be implemented into the code until after the change happened. 

#3 Florg

Florg
  • 711 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:05 AM

The only way I could think of is that when items are below r99, they appear in the sidebar search on Neopets. Items r99+ do not

So it would have to search daily for the items and record any potential changes. Outside of that, I don't think it would be possible

#4 CaptainDantes

CaptainDantes
  • 1104 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:09 AM

Probably not, because without prior knowledge it's not really easy to tell. I doubt something like that would be implemented into the code until after the change happened. 

The only way I could think of is that when items are below r99, they appear in the sidebar search on Neopets. Items r99+ do not

So it would have to search daily for the items and record any potential changes. Outside of that, I don't think it would be possible

Hmm. What about code that looks through all items every so often to look for changes in rarity. How long would it take to search through every item?

Speaking of which - how does the codex item database always have those links to user shops with a particular item?

#5 Florg

Florg
  • 711 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:11 AM

Hmm. What about code that looks through all items every so often to look for changes in rarity. How long would it take to search through every item?

Speaking of which - how does the codex item database always have those links to user shops with a particular item?

Well, I know TNT has been addressing bots scraping the site for data with the captchas. So they would probably address that if it did it too often. There are 24,000+ r1-98 items on Neopets. So at least 24,000 page requests a day.

I believe Abrosia secretly (because no one ever actually discusses this) searches the shop wizard with your account while auto buying, that's how it gets the shop results. (And it's why some results are YEARS old)

#6 Nonexistent

Nonexistent
  • 681 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:12 AM

http://items.jellyne.../retiring-soon/

#7 CaptainDantes

CaptainDantes
  • 1104 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:27 AM

Ooo. That could be useful. I doubt they'll post fast enough though :p

Well, I know TNT has been addressing bots scraping the site for data with the captchas. So they would probably address that if it did it too often. There are 24,000+ r1-98 items on Neopets. So at least 24,000 page requests a day.

I believe Abrosia secretly (because no one ever actually discusses this) searches the shop wizard with your account while auto buying, that's how it gets the shop results. (And it's why some results are YEARS old)

Interesting. Thanks :)

#8 Florg

Florg
  • 711 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:19 AM

That's only for NC items because there's no way to know when a NP item is retiring unless TNT tells us

#9 Nonexistent

Nonexistent
  • 681 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:22 AM

That's only for NC items because there's no way to know when a NP item is retiring unless TNT tells us

...For the most part..

but yes, I suppose unless one has insider information one can only wait for their announcements

Edited by Nonexistent, 03 July 2016 - 10:23 AM.

#10 Generic

Generic
  • 352 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:47 AM

Yeah I don't think there's really any way to know what TNT will retire. By the time you find out, I'm sure everyone else will too.

I doubt even TNT knows much before what they're going to retire. I don't get the feeling that they're particularly organised :p

#11 CaptainDantes

CaptainDantes
  • 1104 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:27 PM

I don't get the feeling that they're particularly organised :p

THIS haha

@Florg - with the new Jellyneo item database it seems like it automatically takes screen shots of items on the trading post. Wouldn't it have to search all the items every day to do that?

#12 Cheyenne

Cheyenne
  • 97 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:29 PM

Well... when was the last time an item was retired? I imagine JS wouldn't even know how to do such a thing, honestly. :lol2:

#13 Generic

Generic
  • 352 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:35 PM

THIS haha

@Florg - with the new Jellyneo item database it seems like it automatically takes screen shots of items on the trading post. Wouldn't it have to search all the items every day to do that?

I imagine it just constantly automatically goes through all the new trades, probably?

#14 Florg

Florg
  • 711 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:57 PM

THIS haha

Their staff collect the data.

I'm sure they use some script to record it (like their lab ray logger) but their staff all do that "manually".

#15 CaptainDantes

CaptainDantes
  • 1104 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:24 PM

@Florg - they have trading post data all the way back to 2014! That's just impressive

#16 juvian

juvian
  • 123 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:28 PM

@Florg - they have trading post data all the way back to 2014! That's just impressive

Jn trading post data is probably less than 1% of what really goes on tp, but at least its something. As for rarity changes, easiest way (coding wise) is to have all restockable items on an account and check once per day if any rarity changed from last time

#17 Dont

Dont
  • 257 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:35 AM

Let's grease some wheels within jumpstart guys.

#18 Florg

Florg
  • 711 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:49 AM

Jn trading post data is probably less than 1% of what really goes on tp, but at least its something. As for rarity changes, easiest way (coding wise) is to have all restockable items on an account and check once per day if any rarity changed from last time

If they were smart, they would just have one staffer that doesn't really play much anymore create a script to refresh the newest 20 on the trading post and collect the data for them

#19 Generic

Generic
  • 352 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:56 AM

If they were smart, they would just have one staffer that doesn't really play much anymore create a script to refresh the newest 20 on the trading post and collect the data for them

Officially speaking though, no kind of scripts are allowed on Neopets. They're an "official fan site" or whatever so I doubt they'd break the rules. Even if they should.

#20 CaptainDantes

CaptainDantes
  • 1104 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:28 AM

Officially speaking though, no kind of scripts are allowed on Neopets. They're an "official fan site" or whatever so I doubt they'd break the rules. Even if they should.

That's what I was thinking. But they MUST be using scripts to collect all this data. That would be the worst job ever to just sit there refreshing and taking screen shots.

#21 Florg

Florg
  • 711 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:45 AM

That's what I was thinking. But they MUST be using scripts to collect all this data. That would be the worst job ever to just sit there refreshing and taking screen shots.

They do use scripts to collect the data. Just like it collects data for the lab ray logger they have. That stuff wouldn't be considered against the rules since it just collects data and doesn't actually do anything on the site.

Suppose they could just manually refresh 

#22 juvian

juvian
  • 123 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:18 PM

Know a jn staffer that does this and its just going to newest 20 and clicking a button to send data to jn. The click a button part is what makes it "legal" and manual. They don't need to know anything about filling forms or whatever. Also, traders tend to snipe doing newest 20, so it's not really that different from what they normally do. It would be more efficient to auto refresh and auto send, but they are official fan site, won't do that. Besides, with too many requests in a day you get banned. A lot of stuff like r101 code items are not refreshed often and a lot of data is missing, because its done manually

#23 GetJinxed

GetJinxed
  • Reckless Cheater

• 1423 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:20 PM

Know a jn staffer that does this and its just going to newest 20 and clicking a button to send data to jn. The click a button part is what makes it "legal" and manual. They don't need to know anything about filling forms or whatever. Also, traders tend to snipe doing newest 20, so it's not really that different from what they normally do. It would be more efficient to auto refresh and auto send, but they are official fan site, won't do that. Besides, with too many requests in a day you get banned. A lot of stuff like r101 code items are not refreshed often and a lot of data is missing, because its done manually

Wow that's some boring job they have O.o Are they even paid or just do it for the sake of it? :p

Also @CaptainDantes your sig :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 

#24 juvian

juvian
  • 123 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:08 PM

Wow that's some boring job they have O.o Are they even paid or just do it for the sake of it? :p

Also @CaptainDantes your sig  :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Don't think he is paid, the people that manage jn probably do get paid, but just helping with prices and a few other stuff probably not :p. Still, he already checked newest 20 to snipe so it's just something to click when he does xD

Edited by juvian, 04 July 2016 - 06:46 PM.

#25 Legituser

Legituser
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:00 AM

I have an idea for a R180 detecter but I do not wish to say publicly for TNT to know. I think this method should work very well, especially if tnt does not know it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users