• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:20 PM

This shit really cannot continue. Feel terrible for him and his family, and the millions of black people who are fucking scared of the people that are supposed to protect us. This is the shit that dystopian novels are made of, and it's coming alive before our eyes. 

Warning: the video is graphic.

#2 Swim

Swim
  • 547 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:25 PM

probably want to put that video in a spoiler

some people are squeamish about blood

but i agree with your statement :/

#3 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:27 PM

I put a warning, and the title says RIP, that's good enough. People can be squeamish (I've never actually spelled this word out before) all they want, but they're still alive, so they can deal with it. 

#4 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:45 PM

It doesn't play automatically so it's fine without spoilers. I'll probably come in with some thoughts on this later.. it really is just awful and I cannot BELIEVE it's still happening. 

#5 CaptainDantes

CaptainDantes
  • 1104 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:49 PM

Holy fuck. How do these people get hired as police officers? I'm always careful about calling for an officer's firing before all the facts are out...but this one seems clear as day. No fucking reason he should have drawn his weapon. This is such an epidemic and it clearly goes to the top of many police organizations. Oakland and Chicago are two that come to mind. Let's hope the effort to reform these areas are 1) not just political and 2) spreads across the country. Ridiculous.

#6 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:51 PM

The title made me go who?? Not often you see a graphic video with a memorial title.

I can't say I'm surprised, sadly. Or that I even think anyone will be punished. How many more innocent people have to die first?

#7 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:22 PM

Always a sad day when a registered sex offender dies.

Seriously though, these cops should be charged with second degree murder and tried in a court of law. Like everyone else. Law enforcement officers are not above the law.

I will stay out of the debate as to the guilt of these cops. I don't know enough about anything to deem anyone guilty or innocent. And I wish I lived in a world where more people felt this way. I do, however, believe in the justice system and believe that they will be fairly tried and justice will be served accordingly.

#8 Nonexistent

Nonexistent
  • 681 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:24 PM

RIP american society

#9 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:25 PM

Sorry for my ignorance, I haven't heard anything about this. School is riding me. Anyway, What was their reasoning for the shooting? I couldn't see what was going on in the video, if he was reaching for the cops gun or anything. I am just confused why the cop pulled out his gun in the first place. The had him contained on the ground, so by pulling a gun on him, you are just asking for the guy to reach for it, or freak out and wiggle a bit. So, is there any statement saying why the gun was pulled? Or was it just a trigger happy cop? Some of the shootings in the past I think were more justifiable, but this (from a 30 sec video) seems absolutely unnecessary. 

#10 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:31 PM

It's barely July and police have already killed 532 people. It just burns me up because these conversations always devolve into whether or not the Black person deserved to be killed instead of addressing the issue that this becoming is one of the deadliest years for people at the hands of police and they never receive any accountability for it.

http://thinkprogress...-killings-2016/

#11 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:38 PM

It's barely July and police have already killed 532 people. 

GG, ISIS police

#12 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:22 PM

From what I heard he had a gun (does not give reason for them to be like this) but it does still bring into effect the argument for gun control again in America.  Its about time someone stood up and said enough we are changing the "amendment" as its just that an "amendment" can be changed anytime.

Personally I feel for his children who will now be able to see this online and probably for sometime be either haunted or bullied by these images.

#13 Bee

Bee
  • 1169 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:53 AM

I read that he had a gun in his pocket, someone could be heard saying that 'he's got a gun' and then they shot him. Apparently, he didn't have the gun in his hands whilst they were wrestling him down to the ground so I don't understand why he was shot even though they had him contained. 

A question that needs to be asked is why do officers feel they need to shoot to kill, as opposed to shooting to incapacitate?

#14 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:57 AM

A question that needs to be asked is why do officers feel they need to shoot to kill, as opposed to shooting to incapacitate?

Totally agree never get this and why not a taser first in these situations when its hand to hand combat.

#15 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:35 AM

You should add Philando Castile.

Video is graphic:

https://www.facebook...37/?pnref=story

#16 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:42 AM

Both of these incidents are really sickening, and Philando's really broke my heart. I keep telling myself that these incidents can't be racially motivated and that there's just a problem with the cops, but I'm starting to think otherwise... :(

#17 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:46 AM

That's an awesome question that I asked my partner when he began his police training.

It's because, at least in Canada, police are trained to 'one up' the weapon that is being used against them. Ie if a person tries to punch a cop, the cop will use his baton. If a person has a deadly weapon (gun, knife, bat etc) then the cop will use a deadly weapon in response.

As well, it's not realistic to train police to shoot at limbs to try to incapacitate a person when their own life is at risk. There are studies done that show when an offender is running at you there is a certain amount of distance where it is plain and simply too late and you will, unfortunately, get shanked if you do not shoot and it does not drop the offender.

As for pepper spray, it's generally a huge misconception that it will debilitate everyone. Most people are able to attack after being pepper sprayed, especially if they have adrenaline pumping and are attempting to be violent.

Police are not trained to respond to a gun threat with pepper spray.

My understanding is that the cop assess the threat level and is trained on how to react to that threat. Unfortunately the sheer amount of unarmed black men that are killed in the States shows the absolute lack of ability or care to properly assess the situation.

But like I said, this is how it is in Canada, not America. I am aware that our police force requires significantly more schooling and training than in America to the point where you can barley compare the two.

#18 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:12 AM

As well, it's not realistic to train police to shoot at limbs to try to incapacitate a person when their own life is at risk. There are studies done that show when an offender is running at you there is a certain amount of distance where it is plain and simply too late and you will, unfortunately, get shanked if you do not shoot and it does not drop the offender.

Right. You're supposed to aim center mass and shoot to eliminate the threat. The Tueller Drill is what you're referring to regarding the distance studies. If the offender is within 21 feet, you are likely to be stabbed/attacked before you can draw and fire.

You should add Philando Castile.

Video is graphic:

https://www.facebook...37/?pnref=story

This one is much worse than the Sterling deal to me. He was pulled for a taillight being busted, and was a law abiding concealed carry permit holder. Minnesota is not a duty to inform state, so he never had to mention he was carrying to the officer, although he chose to as a courtesy, and it ultimately cost him his life. 

#19 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:18 AM

Right. You're supposed to aim center mass and shoot to eliminate the threat. The Tueller Drill is what you're referring to regarding the distance studies. If the offender is within 21 feet, you are likely to be stabbed/attacked before you can draw and fire.

This one is much worse than the Sterling deal to me. He was pulled for a taillight being busted, and was a law abiding concealed carry permit holder. Minnesota is not a duty to inform state, so he never had to mention he was carrying to the officer, although he chose to as a courtesy, and it ultimately cost him his life. 

Yes, and all in front of his girlfriend and child :( Terrible. 

#20 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:24 AM

Terrible just terrible and again I say I feel for the child who will in time be able to view this online.

Its sad to say some of these cops might just have had bad cases which have scarred them into thinking the worse.  Again I think its more than time that the USA did something about guns or its just going to carry on and on.

#21 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:59 AM

THat philando case: Why in the hell didn't they start administering medical assistance to the dude right away?

#22 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:06 AM

THat philando case: Why in the hell didn't they start administering medical assistance to the dude right away?

Because the cop was a piece of shit cop who shouldn't have even made it through the academy.

#23 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:53 AM

Because the cop was a piece of shit cop who shouldn't have even made it through the academy.

You can tell that he immediately realized he made a huge mistake. The sound of his voice was shaky. And when the woman was saying what happened he was upset and yelling obscenities. It will be interesting to see the outcome of this one, since the guy seriously knew he screwed up right away. Most instances the cop will justify, but he knew he screwed up. That part at the end with the girl trying to console her mom was the saddest thing I have heard in a long time...

#24 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:44 AM

I was wondering the same thing. Instead of calling for backup or administering medical assistance he just decided to continue to point the gun at his fiance even though she was calmer than he was throughout the entire situation. And they handcuffed HER and kept her in custody until 5am the next morning. She said they didn't give her any food, water or anything.

#25 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:41 AM

I was wondering the same thing. Instead of calling for backup or administering medical assistance he just decided to continue to point the gun at his fiance even though she was calmer than he was throughout the entire situation. And they handcuffed HER and kept her in custody until 5am the next morning. She said they didn't give her any food, water or anything.

Bc if he was shot in the arm (I don't know if the bullets went through to the abdomen or anything, all I know about the case is from the video), and it was limited to the arm, with immediate attention, he almost certainly would have lived. He could have told the lady to leave the car with her hands up if he was worried about retaliation and then he could have applied pressure to stop bleeding. Ugh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users