• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:06 PM

Since my ESO topic was a flop (#foreveralone) it means I'm down my usual one somewhat but barely successful topic per year.

What defines you? 

I know that's a heavy question, but I feel as though I really don't know many of you and it will give me a better feel of the community here.

I know it's hard to sum yourself up with one thing, and I don't mean to deduce you to that one thing, but if you had to pick one what would it be? Or how would you even answer this? Is it something physical (ie painting) or your love for something (ie your cat)? Of course, only share what you are totally comfortable with sharing.

Anyways, I don't know many people outside Retired and I'd like to change that. If only just by reading your answers.  :)

So, what defines you?

Discuss (do people still say that?)

#2 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:16 PM

I'm really not too sure what defines me to be honest; I've never had anyone ask me that. I will however mull it over and get back to you.

I can tell you what DOESN'T define me though-

The uniform I wear doesn't mean I love war, or support all of the idiotic decisions the US Government has made. This shit is just a way to pay the bills, and get me through college without a ton of debt.

#3 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:29 PM

Despite being incredibly bad at being one everyone sees me as "the weeaboo".

#4 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:31 PM

Maybe you're the only weeaboo anyone knows :o.

#5 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:32 PM

Maybe you're the only weeaboo anyone knows :o.

That's probably for the better. We're awful people.

#6 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:34 PM

I'm really not too sure what defines me to be honest; I've never had anyone ask me that. I will however mull it over and get back to you.

I can tell you what DOESN'T define me though-

The uniform I wear doesn't mean I love war, or support all of the idiotic decisions the US Government has made. This shit is just a way to pay the bills, and get me through college without a ton of debt.

That's an understandable stance. I've always thought historically that a lot of people in the military don't necessarily agree or want to go to war for the reason their government tells them to.

What's a weeaboo? I looked up the Urban Dictionary definition but before assuming that's what it is I want to hear it from you. :p

#7 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:37 PM

What's a weeaboo? I looked up the Urban Dictionary definition but before assuming that's what it is I want to hear it from you. :p

That's actually the correct definition for the slang nowadays, but originally it was just a word filter for "Japanophile" on 4chan years ago.

Really I just use it ironically and don't actually act like a twat.

#8 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

That's actually the correct definition for the slang nowadays, but originally it was just a word filter for "Japanophile" on 4chan years ago.

Really I just use it ironically and don't actually act like a twat.

Ah I see. Well when you read the definition of "Japanophile" it seems a lot more respectable than "weeaboo". However I have to say you've never come across to me as a weeaboo .......

#9 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

I don't know if this counts but I've been in nothing but supportive and enthusiastic environments that do nothing but support and uplift me. Granted, it's not like I've never encountered bullying, discrimination, and office warfare-like environments. Even my professors now are nothing short of the most perfect flawed human beings who (because the class sizes are ridiculously small and specialized) will cry with you and will be willing to go to Olive Garden with the class if invited. The friends and family that surrounds me have had bad days that were nothing bigger than petty bickering and never escalated to life-long grudges. I'm even close acquaintances with the bursar and registrar's office after all the weird scheduling/money problems I've facing right now. 

You think that would make me a godsend for humanity with the way I've been blessed with the best people in the world.

But it isn't the case.

I am so jaded to kindness and happiness from other people that I can't even feel when I'm showing kindness or feeling happiness. I'm just going through the motions and feel almost nothing from each person I meet in person. I can fake enthusiasm and interest while still being entertaining and that's enough most of the time to hide how ugly I really am on the inside. About six years ago, I found the only way I can feel like I'm "living" is when I'm with criminals. Before graduating undergrad, I've considered criminology, but went ahead with psychiatry for the exposure rather than a desk job.

#10 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:57 PM

I don't know if this counts but I've been in nothing but supportive and enthusiastic environments that do nothing but support and uplift me. Granted, it's not like I've never encountered bullying, discrimination, and office warfare-like environments. Even my professors now are nothing short of the most perfect flawed human beings who (because the class sizes are ridiculously small and specialized) will cry with you and will be willing to go to Olive Garden with the class if invited. The friends and family that surrounds me have had bad days that were nothing bigger than petty bickering and never escalated to life-long grudges. I'm even close acquaintances with the bursar and registrar's office after all the weird scheduling/money problems I've facing right now. 

You think that would make me a godsend for humanity with the way I've been blessed with the best people in the world.

But it isn't the case.

I am so jaded to kindness and happiness from other people that I can't even feel when I'm showing kindness or feeling happiness. I'm just going through the motions and feel almost nothing from each person I meet in person. I can fake enthusiasm and interest while still being entertaining and that's enough most of the time to hide how ugly I really am on the inside. About six years ago, I found the only way I can feel like I'm "living" is when I'm with criminals. Before graduating undergrad, I've considered criminology, but went ahead with psychiatry for the exposure rather than a desk job.

You sound a lot like me - with the desire to work with 'criminals'. 

It's sounds like you have a high level of self-awareness regarding your surroundings and your emotional response to such. I'm sorry that this defines you though .. Perhaps your lack of emotional response will benefit you in your work field?

#11 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:36 PM

http://www.neocodex....boo/?hl=weeaboo

I don't know if I could pick just one word to describe myself especially since I'm still trying to find my purpose in life. Although if you read the personality of a virgo or snake that describes me quite well. 

What I can tell you though is that I really like bouldering, it's been almost a year since I started and when I'm not climbing up a problem I'm thinking about how to solve it, even on my day's off. If I was good enough to compete and do it as a full time job I would take that opportunity without a second thought, but I see how some people train and think about how much more intense they take it than me. Why wouldn't I want to be able to travel the world doing something that I enjoy? Plus the community is great because they're so friendly and supportive (read this reddit poster's take on the community and why they're so awesome here). So why do I prefer bouldering over climbing? Probably the main reason is because I can do it on my own and don't have to worry about having a partner to climb with. So perhaps that also says something about me as a person who's independent and goal oriented. 

That's it for now. I'll probably come back to this as I come up with more things. This alone took me forever (~35 minutes of me staring at a blank screen).

Also what's wrong with Bieber? I mean.. his old stuff was garbage but his new stuff is kind of catchy...

#12 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:38 PM

Ah I see. Well when you read the definition of "Japanophile" it seems a lot more respectable than "weeaboo". However I have to say you've never come across to me as a weeaboo .......

Like I said I'm bad at my job. :p

I'm actually not a fan of people who actually are weeaboos and act like being an "otaku" is a good thing. Coincidentally the normal Japanese society frowns upon otaku and Japan itself is nothing like the poor tweens think it is.

#13 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:54 PM

My kids

#14 Nonexistent

Nonexistent
  • 681 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:09 PM

self hatred and bitterness

Edited by Nonexistent, 18 July 2016 - 04:10 PM.

#15 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:27 PM

I blind people with science.

#16 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:09 PM

http://www.neocodex....boo/?hl=weeaboo

I don't know if I could pick just one word to describe myself especially since I'm still trying to find my purpose in life. Although if you read the personality of a virgo or snake that describes me quite well. 

What I can tell you though is that I really like bouldering, it's been almost a year since I started and when I'm not climbing up a problem I'm thinking about how to solve it, even on my day's off. If I was good enough to compete and do it as a full time job I would take that opportunity without a second thought, but I see how some people train and think about how much more intense they take it than me. Why wouldn't I want to be able to travel the world doing something that I enjoy? Plus the community is great because they're so friendly and supportive (read this reddit poster's take on the community and why they're so awesome here). So why do I prefer bouldering over climbing? Probably the main reason is because I can do it on my own and don't have to worry about having a partner to climb with. So perhaps that also says something about me as a person who's independent and goal oriented. 

That's it for now. I'll probably come back to this as I come up with more things. This alone took me forever (~35 minutes of me staring at a blank screen).

Also what's wrong with Bieber? I mean.. his old stuff was garbage but his new stuff is kind of catchy...

Ok I'm sorry I'm a unfamiliar with what bouldering is - you don't use any rope or harness????? How is that safe?? Do you do this in nature or just in a controlled environment (like a gym)? Why wouldn't you be able to travel and compete in this? There's nothing really stopping you if you want to. 

That's actually a super interesting sport, though. I don't think I've heard of that here. Is there a large community for it?

His new stuff is the worse. And have you seen his hair? He looks like female Eminem. :p

Like I said I'm bad at my job. :p

I'm actually not a fan of people who actually are weeaboos and act like being an "otaku" is a good thing. Coincidentally the normal Japanese society frowns upon otaku and Japan itself is nothing like the poor tweens think it is.

Ok wait, hold on. Is this the right definition for "otaku"?

noun

1. (in Japan) a young person who is obsessed with computers or particular aspects of popular culture to the detriment of their social skills.

So basically .. Japanese neck beards?

My kids

Have you picked a name for the munchkin in the oven yet?

edit: I initially had this plural because I think I read somewhere that you were having twins but I'm not sure??

self hatred and bitterness

How does one define that which is nonexistent?

I blind people with science.

What's your favourite cool science fact?

#17 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:08 PM

Ok wait, hold on. Is this the right definition for "otaku"?

noun

• (in Japan) a young person who is obsessed with computers or particular aspects of popular culture to the detriment of their social skills.

So basically .. Japanese neck beards?

Mmmn, in Japanese usage it isn't just limited to average sorta neckbeard activities. It's just a word for extreme enthusiast. So let's use this person's outfit and this decorated bag as some examples of hardcore otaku shenanigans. But there are also train otaku, sports otaku, photography, politics, military, the list could go on forever. Like I talked to a person who would be considered an electrical grid otaku a while back. He really went into detail about the American power grid systems, cleaning the wires, all sorts. It was really interesting!! I'm not sure if these sort of otaku would have outfits and bags like the ones I linked to hahah

But I'm not too sure how to answer this question... I'll have to think about this one and come back to it later

#18 CaptainDantes

CaptainDantes
  • 1104 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:06 AM

I would say stubborn because I don't give up (and I'm stubborn in the traditional sense sometimes too). And sarcastic/dad jokey. I think that about sums me up. I'm pretty simple.

Edited by CaptainDantes, 19 July 2016 - 12:07 AM.

#19 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2016 - 01:54 AM

i'm a gay slut. :heart:

#20 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:02 AM

Deep topic.

If i had to pick one word I would probably pick "child". I live to love as best that i can from a place of brokeness, having recieved love that is difficult to put into words. My experiences in life have taught me to never stop learning, to always be teachable, but to also stand very firmly by my core values and beliefs; to ask questions and seek understanding as best i can in any situation and to trust the strengths of others around me. Also, to enjoy life as best i can, and the people who are around me at any given time. :)

Life is so weird, but i like it... usually! :p

#21 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:20 AM

Have you picked a name for the munchkin in the oven yet?

edit: I initially had this plural because I think I read somewhere that you were having twins but I'm not sure??

There are two, a boy and a girl. We're whittling it down slowly. Milo/Amelia, Felix/Felicity, Juliet/Joel... and any of those may be replaced by Ford, Fisher, Elmo, Blair, Elroy, etc. We have opposite ideas of what makes an acceptable name lol

#22 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2016 - 01:14 PM

Mmmn, in Japanese usage it isn't just limited to average sorta neckbeard activities. It's just a word for extreme enthusiast. So let's use this person's outfit and this decorated bag as some examples of hardcore otaku shenanigans. But there are also train otaku, sports otaku, photography, politics, military, the list could go on forever. Like I talked to a person who would be considered an electrical grid otaku a while back. He really went into detail about the American power grid systems, cleaning the wires, all sorts. It was really interesting!! I'm not sure if these sort of otaku would have outfits and bags like the ones I linked to hahah

But I'm not too sure how to answer this question... I'll have to think about this one and come back to it later

LOOOOL at that outfit. That has to take some major dedication to whatever it is you are otakuing (is that right as a verb?) over. But thank you, I think I have a better understanding of the word now. Unfortunately I don't think that the American power grid system sounds like an interesting topic. So I should change my discussion topic to 'what kind of otaku are you?' :p

i'm a gay slut. :heart:

I love it.

Deep topic.

If i had to pick one word I would probably pick "child". I live to love as best that i can from a place of brokeness, having recieved love that is difficult to put into words. My experiences in life have taught me to never stop learning, to always be teachable, but to also stand very firmly by my core values and beliefs; to ask questions and seek understanding as best i can in any situation and to trust the strengths of others around me. Also, to enjoy life as best i can, and the people who are around me at any given time. :)

Life is so weird, but i like it... usually! :p

Deep topic, but good response.

You sound like a very positive person. The world needs more of those these days.  ^_^

There are two, a boy and a girl. We're whittling it down slowly. Milo/Amelia, Felix/Felicity, Juliet/Joel... and any of those may be replaced by Ford, Fisher, Elmo, Blair, Elroy, etc. We have opposite ideas of what makes an acceptable name lol

Omg, Fisher. Love that one.  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Congratulations!!!!!!!! Twins are awesome, it's like having a life long friend. Are they paternal or fraternal? When do you find that out?

#23 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2016 - 01:16 PM

Btw @Jess, I still vote Elmo.

#24 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:42 PM

Londoner, violinist, runner, wifey. One of those for sure.

I'm loathe to be defined by my relationship but honestly I'd say he's intrinsic to who I am. Aside from a half brother, he's my only family, he's my best friend and having been around for so many years, has probably had the most influence over the person I've become.

London, we've been elsewhere and I do think we'll move away one day. Violin, is always a bit of a torrid love affair. Running, I get waylaid by injury a lot and while it's part and parcel, it means I have a lot of days of not feeling like a runner.

#25 Ellea

Ellea
  • 147 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:19 PM

I've been thinking about it, and I have no idea how to answer this without it being a list of things other people in my life think I am, which is something I should definitely work on fixing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tell, me, right, fucking, now, also, i hate, justin, bieber

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users