Quantcast

Photo

Recent Article on Neopets - Covering old hidden areas, recent history, current vs peak activity numbers etc

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Junjie

Junjie
  • Hi there!

• 2267 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:46 AM

I didn't know there was a calculator in LD, for example! Also, ignore the part about Jelly World; it clearly doesn't exist.

Link here: http://www.atlasobsc...from-extinction

#2 Bee

Bee
  • 1169 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:18 AM

I didn't know about the calculator either. I wonder how many of those 'active' players are shells...

#3 jaredyne

jaredyne
  • 1115 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:17 AM

The calculator's a new one on me, but I can't believe they didn't cover the parrot! that one's a classic

#4 Dewgong

Dewgong
  • 221 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:22 AM

Oh how I miss those old maps; now we have these laggy flash ones.. :ohwell:

#5 Sorbet

Sorbet
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:56 AM

A member of JumpStart's PR team, Meghan Orencole, says "the Neopets community is in fact still very strong, with over 100,000 daily active users."

100k daily users?

Yeahhhhhh I HIGHLY doubt this.

#6 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:57 AM

Crazy to imagine the amount of people that used to be on the website.

#7 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:16 AM

Dear lord, that "article" made me cringe so many times lol how these "seasoned" players (but only two? are mentioned) gave so many "facts" that are wrong and the shameless lie from Meghan Orencole haha

I remember that calculator!! A lot of the kids I knew back in the day actually used it for homework while playing because it was SO cool to use it :cool: lol

#8 Tammy

Tammy
  • 430 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:38 AM

Aw such nostalgia, I miss oldschool neo :(

#9 CaptainDantes

CaptainDantes
  • 1104 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:21 PM

I wish they could turn it into a booming community again. JS has owned it for 2 years and we really haven't seen shit

#10 Junjie

Junjie
  • Hi there!

• 2267 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:23 PM

I wish they could turn it into a booming community again. JS has owned it for 2 years and we really haven't seen shit

They seem to be genuinely trying, but, the stuff listed in the article alone already gives one a hint of the enormity of the task I think. Firstly the technology is basically from the 90s or so. And JS tried "modernising" it, they claim, and what little they did led to bugs that they themselves had to admit in the article lewll. Also, there's the thing about how they let off like, the majority of long time devs soon after they assumed control...

#11 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:38 PM

Wonder if Neopets as we know it is even salvageable at this point or if JS should just give up and make New Neopets/Neopets 2.0/Neo Neopets. Transfer what they can or bare minimum accounts > pets > np > trophies. More than likely just the first two.

Such a shame seeing just how drastically things have fallen.

Wouldn't be surprised if Adam/Donna are the only two who could actually do anything about anything at this point. Shame they have (had?) zero interest in Neopets for years (and that's totally understandable.)

#12 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:03 PM

Les b realz. Neopets has been dying for YEARS now, but it's not completely dead yet. I don't think it's too far-fetch for it to keep going like this for years and years and years... There will always be people giving them money, unless they ruin (even more) the NC and Premium with the payment "bugs" (huehuehue we know the TRUTH). It's a really old and sick cow, right now, and I feel we keep beating it with a barbed wire baseball bat ( :wub: ) but this damn cow enjoys its life too damn much to leave this world.

#13 WarezHaxor

WarezHaxor
  • 668 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:19 PM

I think JS doesn't care to admit they know where things are going wrong. Fact is, code has been updated with technology through the years, as server upgrades were done regularly when Adam and Donna owned it, same with Viacom and nickelodeon, so using new hardware and technology as an excuse is poor, it shows your programming staff isn't knowledgeable at all. Yes upgrades always cause kinks, anyone who codes will tell you, you change one line and 3 or more different lines get messed up, but 2 years is unreasonable from a management standpoint...by 4 months I would have hired a whole new coding team to fix the mess that the first team couldn't have. I don't think the site is going anywhere anytime soon however. It's still profitable at this point so no reason to shut it down at all.

#14 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:18 PM

Unless major changes happen, I don't think Neo will ever return.

There isn't really a reason to, there's nothing going for the game other than the nostalgia factor, not to mention it's extremely dated now, there's much MUCH better petsites that offer far more features, and fewer bugs. 

#15 Junjie

Junjie
  • Hi there!

• 2267 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:29 PM

Unless major changes happen, I don't think Neo will ever return.

There isn't really a reason to, there's nothing going for the game other than the nostalgia factor, not to mention it's extremely dated now, there's much MUCH better petsites that offer far more features, and fewer bugs.

Which reminds me. I really need to get into FR -- and FR cheating. :p

#16 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:43 PM

Which reminds me. I really need to get into FR -- and FR cheating. :p

If you need some help getting into it hit me up. 

#17 Kracken

Kracken
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:29 AM

ahh look at the old maps,

the good old days where I spent most of the time fishing through the pound for any painted pets

#18 elkid27

elkid27
  • 152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2016 - 05:03 PM

They want people to start logging in and doing things again, get a legitimate plot going. Not the recycled Altador cup or Faerieland quest thing, an actual plot. Solve puzzles, battledome, all of it. Its literally been *years*. Otherwise theres no real reason to login. The games are old and tired. The economy was destroyed in the duping disaster. Give me a real reason to want to log on and not just run the autobuyer

#19 Generic

Generic
  • 352 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 August 2016 - 05:46 PM

I think one thing they need to do is recognize the inflation and give out more NPs through games and stuff. The way it is now, it's impossible for a new player to ever dream of getting high end items without using an exploit - even bots aren't enough. There's too much junk and rare items are TOO illusive.

#20 elkid27

elkid27
  • 152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:16 PM

More neopoints into the economy is only going to make inflation worse. There need to be better sinks for neopoints. As it is shops arent really a sink because your usually spending minimal neopoints for much higher value items. The only large neopoint sink is the faerie tower where things cost millions. But once you have a couple BD weapons theres nothing else in there to buy. Most people just accumulate wealth and then sit on it. Plus when its in the bank your instantly creating neopoints daily on interest. The Trudy daily event also is pumping a ton of NP into the game. I create >60k a day just by logging in and clicking the Trudy daily and collect interest in the bank. Which for a new player to make they have to max 20 games a day. Which is slow going but eventually they start accumulating wealth too because there is largely nothing you *have* to spend NP on to progress except BD. And thats useless currently.

#21 Mastermind

Mastermind
  • 324 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:03 PM

Ah, I recalled the volcano and the old lost desert map (but not the calculator), good times.

I agree that a plot would be amazing, but I think more cool things could be added. Maybe they should make a TCG (mobile?) multiplayer game.  I thought that would be a cool addition as I was going through the TCG cards.

#22 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:49 PM

Ha! So, this makes me want to for real play Neopets again and to hold out for JumpStart hoping and praying that they get something new going!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users