64 replies to this topic

#1 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:20 PM

Do you believe in horoscopes?

I had a debate with my friend over this because I not only do not 'believe' in them, but I find them ridiculous. 

Food for thought on both sides:

Though we don't know how it works physically, astrology is not a faith. You can experience, observe and know how it applies first hand. There are sound reasons why it has proved so difficult to test the real practice of astrology under scientific conditions and why so many tests have been flawed. However, some simple experiments have yielded results that are consistent with a scientific basis to the fundamental premise of astrology even though the practice is an art rather than a science.  http://www.astrologe...fastrology.htm�

The study of the Barnum/Forer effect has been focused mostly on the level of acceptance of fake horoscopes and fake astrological personality profiles.[44]:382 Recipients of these personality assessments consistently fail to distinguish common and uncommon personality descriptors.[44]:383 In a study by Paul Rogers and Janice Soule (2009), which was consistent with previous research on the issue, it was found that those who believed in astrology are generally more susceptible to giving more credence to the Barnum profile than skeptics.[44]:393

By a process known as self-attribution, it has been shown in numerous studies that individuals with knowledge of astrology tend to describe their personalities in terms of traits compatible with their astrological signs. The effect is heightened when the individuals were aware that the personality description was being used to discuss astrology. Individuals who were not familiar with astrology had no such tendency.[45]  https://en.wikipedia...ogy_and_science

The Barnum effect, also called the Forer effect, is the observation that individuals will give high accuracy ratings to descriptions of their personality that supposedly are tailored specifically for them but are, in fact, vague and general enough to apply to a wide range of people. This effect can provide a partial explanation for the widespread acceptance of some beliefs and practices, such as astrologyfortune tellinggraphologyaura reading and some types of personality testshttps://en.wikipedia...i/Barnum_effect

I won't delve into the fact that there is no scientific evidence to support the theory of horoscopes. Because as the first quote said, the believers don't need it. And I do appreciate that lack of evidence does not disprove the theory.

What do you think? Do you think Claire from Vogue can predict how your days are going to turn out?

#2 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:28 PM

Claire from Vogue can say that both tomorrow and the day after will be bad days and at the same time, will be good days because my mood changes at the drop of a hat. It doesn't take much for me to get cognitive of good and bad events, especially when I'm primed to specifically look for those events because of the horoscope. The only way she can be wrong is if there is any mention of finding romantic love. Eughh.

#3 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:32 PM

Nah

#4 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:44 PM

No lol but I like when @Jess talks about them

#5 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:59 PM

I not only do not 'believe' in them, but I find them ridiculous. 

Yup, pretty much how I feel.

I had a debate with 5+ friends about it the other day. They all believed in it and gave me awful arguments to back up their belief lol.

#6 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:30 PM

I don't believe in them, but it's crazy how often a horoscope is pretty spot on when it comes to describing me and my life. I really find it enjoyable when @Jess talks about them though.

misscleo.jpg

^ I know that's for your 'fortune', but it's the same shit pretty much.

#7 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:31 PM

I have a horoscope coaster that calls me a leader.

I have done nothing but lead people to failure.

I think it might be wrong.

#8 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2016 - 05:48 PM

I don't believe in them. I think they can be fun, like taking personality tests, I do occasionally look up "traits of a ____" because I think it's funny but that's about it. I know quite a few people that take their horoscopes seriously and it makes me kind of EHHH.

I remember my best friend from high school was the same sign as me but we were completely different and she turned out to be a huge bitch so I really hope astrological signs are bullshit because fuck if it's not that means I'm as big of a shitbag as she is 

Anyway, the way I see it, any day can be a good day and any day can be a bad day if you make it so. 

#9 Rosy

Rosy
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:14 PM

I think they're fun to confirm when I'm feeling a good day and happen to read a 'good' horoscope, but I don't think they're real nor do I believe them. 

Because sure, all the people who are Virgo's are certainly going to find a potential love tomorrow, and have to make sure to avoid the hidden snake in the group...

#10 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:40 PM

Claire from Vogue can say that both tomorrow and the day after will be bad days and at the same time, will be good days because my mood changes at the drop of a hat. It doesn't take much for me to get cognitive of good and bad events, especially when I'm primed to specifically look for those events because of the horoscope. The only way she can be wrong is if there is any mention of finding romantic love. Eughh.

But that's exactly it .. no matter what it says, people who believe in it will find a way to relate to it. Whether you read that you're going to have a bad day and your mood is influenced thereafter, it's no different that twisting the outcome of your day to conform to the idea that it 'had to be a bad day'.

Nah

It says that video is not available in my country. Can you send me a non racist link?? :p

No lol but I like when @Jess talks about them

I was kind of hoping someone with the opposite view point would post. :p

Yup, pretty much how I feel.

I had a debate with 5+ friends about it the other day. They all believed in it and gave me awful arguments to back up their belief lol.

Oh gosh, I feel ya bro. It seems like the believers are so adamant about it being real and needing everyone to accept that. I don't understand it.

I don't believe in them, but it's crazy how often a horoscope is pretty spot on when it comes to describing me and my life. I really find it enjoyable when @Jess talks about them though.

^ I know that's for your 'fortune', but it's the same shit pretty much.

My bestfriend loves reading my horoscope to me. I don't mind when she does she because I find it fun as well. But, I don't think it's at all a prediction of my day or life.

Ohhhhh my godd, I freaking hate those damn fortune tellers. So many of them are exposed for being liars, and the rest of them just haven't been caught yet. I can't stand those damn tarot card readers. And those damn aura readers. God damn.

I have a horoscope coaster that calls me a leader.

I have done nothing but lead people to failure.

I think it might be wrong.

Leading people to failure is still leading. So, it's not wrong and horoscopes are real. /thread :p

I don't believe in them. I think they can be fun, like taking personality tests, I do occasionally look up "traits of a ____" because I think it's funny but that's about it. I know quite a few people that take their horoscopes seriously and it makes me kind of EHHH.

I remember my best friend from high school was the same sign as me but we were completely different and she turned out to be a huge bitch so I really hope astrological signs are bullshit because fuck if it's not that means I'm as big of a shitbag as she is 

Anyway, the way I see it, any day can be a good day and any day can be a bad day if you make it so. 

Trust me, the astrological signs are bogus and you are not at all a shitbag my friend. Your ex-friend is a shitbag because she chooses to be one, not because the alignment of the stars on the day she was born forces her to be one.

I think it can be fun. But I hate when people are like 'I'm a taurus so I'm naturally bitchy' (example, idk if that's true). It's a scapegoat for dumb white girls to be assholes.

Because sure, all the people who are Virgo's are certainly going to find a potential love tomorrow, and have to make sure to avoid the hidden snake in the group...

Exactly. It's totally general predictions that can apply to everyone, no matter the day of their birth.

#11 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:46 PM

Trust me, the astrological signs are bogus and you are not at all a shitbag my friend. Your ex-friend is a shitbag because she chooses to be one, not because the alignment of the stars on the day she was born forces her to be one.

I think it can be fun. But I hate when people are like 'I'm a taurus so I'm naturally bitchy' (example, idk if that's true). It's a scapegoat for dumb white girls to be assholes.

thank you for not thinking i'm a shitbag :)

that reminds me, my freshman year roommate once told me that she wouldn't be friends with a gemini because they were two-faced and i was like ??? people use signs/horoscopes in the weirdest ways I swear

#12 Generic

Generic
  • 352 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:29 PM

Honestly, not to offend anyone if they do believe in them here, but I don't see how someone could really. They really are just random, generic stories.

Of course I totally get it if you just read your horoscope for fun, but I've met a few people that completely believe in it, and they're convinced by this "science" behind it... They're all cool people, and I doubt I could change their minds on it, so I just said like it's cool they believe in it.

#13 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:49 PM

I certainly believe in horoscopes the same way people believe in God. I love the mystery behind it, where it comes from and how it is read. I also believe in tarot as a way of telling horoscopes. It's all mystical and intriguing.

#14 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:45 PM

It says that video is not available in my country. Can you send me a non racist link?? :p

Well that's weird, if it's racist why would I be able to watch in my third world country then? lmao :p

"Carl Sagan astrology" on youtube you'll find it.

#15 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:04 AM

I think they're fun on a level of entertainment.

But you shouldn't live your life by it. 

#16 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:19 AM

Like others have said I find it hard to believe that the alignment of the stars and moon and the location that I'm born have any influence on my life. But it definitely is fun to have my "horror-scope" read to me.

Sometimes I feel like people who believe in horoscopes have a confirmation bias I.e. if it's true "omg my horoscope was right!" But if it's wrong "oh well, it's just a horoscope, it doesn't always come true". Like what? Why even read it then?

And what happens if you read your horoscope from two different places and they give conflicting information? Then what? Or does that never happen cause everyone gets it from the same place?

With all that said I have been trying to be more spiritual and keeping an open mind to these things. I recent read this book while in Cali https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/0812998383 which talks about a psychic who actually has several tests done to prove that they aren't just guessing. And then the thing is "ok, so maybe some people do have this ability but most may be frauds just praying on the belief of others. But if psychics are real and some can predict the outcome of lives does that mean my life is already preplanned out for me, do I not have free will?". Who knows, maybe we live in a multiverse where every decision we make splits the world into where it happens and when it doesn't.

Sorry if this may have gone a bit off topic

#17 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:27 AM

Like others have said I find it hard to believe that the alignment of the stars and moon and the location that I'm born have any influence on my life. But it definitely is fun to have my "horror-scope" read to me.

Sometimes I feel like people who believe in horoscopes have a confirmation bias I.e. if it's true "omg my horoscope was right!" But if it's wrong "oh well, it's just a horoscope, it doesn't always come true". Like what? Why even read it then?

And what happens if you read your horoscope from two different places and they give conflicting information? Then what? Or does that never happen cause everyone gets it from the same place?

With all that said I have been trying to be more spiritual and keeping an open mind to these things. I recent read this book while in Cali https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/0812998383 which talks about a psychic who actually has several tests done to prove that they aren't just guessing. And then the thing is "ok, so maybe some people do have this ability but most may be frauds just praying on the belief of others. But if psychics are real and some can predict the outcome of lives does that mean my life is already preplanned out for me, do I not have free will?". Who knows, maybe we live in a multiverse where every decision we make splits the world into where it happens and when it doesn't.

Sorry if this may have gone a bit off topic

You're correct. Confirmation bias is a huge thing with personality tests, graphology, horoscopes and other pseudoscience stuff. The thing is, as bullshitty as it all is, I still find people's belief in these things fascinating. Personally, I think if people believe this stuff, that's fine as long as they aren't hurting anyone with their misinformation or whatever.

#18 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:19 AM

I do not believe in them, but I don't mind taking a look at them for entertainment.

#19 FelisNoctua

FelisNoctua
  • 657 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:55 AM

TLDR: No. I think they're even less believable than religion, which at least can be argued to be "ancient" and "non-disprovable". Horoscopes are literally written weekly(etc) by a desk jockey.

There is zero evidence that horoscopes accurately predict personality traits or events in any way. I find them interesting from a psychological point of view, because they are written in such an ambiguous way that we can almost always find "ourselves" in our particular sign, and we're trained to only look at the one for our particular birthdate and therefore don't notice that the others do too. We put the blinders on ourselves. I think it's rooted in this Need to have Meaning or a Plan. Not everyone has it, but my non-scientific anecdotal observations make it seem like my most religious friends/family are the ones putting the most stock in the horoscopes.

d783882870bf4d04c01fd3c4bc16adca.jpg

Edited by FelisNoctua, 09 August 2016 - 06:55 AM.

#20 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:55 AM

You're correct. Confirmation bias is a huge thing with personality tests, graphology, horoscopes and other pseudoscience stuff. The thing is, as bullshitty as it all is, I still find people's belief in these things fascinating. Personally, I think if people believe this stuff, that's fine as long as they aren't hurting anyone with their misinformation or whatever.

Yes. But as I often find that religious convictions hurt people, I find this often hurts people in a couple ways. One being that people profit off of the deception that they can tell the future by charging people for their service of such. I know 'buyer beware' but it still hurts my heart when people believe they are talking to deceased loved ones or told they are going to have a bad day and associate their entire day with that idea.

Another is the impact that it has on their every day lives. I have amazing friends who have come back from great dates with great guys who will say they are not going out with this fellow again solely because of his astrological sign. And I find it quite saddening.

#21 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:56 AM

Yes. But as I often find that religious convictions hurt people, I find this often hurts people in a couple ways. One being that people profit off of the deception that they can tell the future by charging people for their service of such. I know 'buyer beware' but it still hurts my heart when people believe they are talking to deceased loved ones or told they are going to have a bad day and associate their entire day with that idea.

Another is the impact that it has on their every day lives. I have amazing friends who have come back from great dates with great guys who will say they are not going out with this fellow again solely because of his astrological sign. And I find it quite saddening.

Hence my clarification "as long as they aren't hurting anyone with their misinformation". :p

#22 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:00 AM

TLDR: No. I think they're even less believable than religion, which at least can be argued to be "ancient" and "non-disprovable". Horoscopes are literally written weekly(etc) by a desk jockey.

There is zero evidence that horoscopes accurately predict personality traits or events in any way. I find them interesting from a psychological point of view, because they are written in such an ambiguous way that we can almost always find "ourselves" in our particular sign, and we're trained to only look at the one for our particular birthdate and therefore don't notice that the others do too. We put the blinders on ourselves. I think it's rooted in this Need to have Meaning or a Plan. Not everyone has it, but my non-scientific anecdotal observations make it seem like my most religious friends/family are the ones putting the most stock in the horoscopes.

d783882870bf4d04c01fd3c4bc16adca.jpg

Dang I should have posted that pic in my original post.

I think you're spot on, though. People like to be told about themselves and to have a sense of understanding their lives and why things happen to them. And it's easier to look to the stars for comfort rather than accept that there is no grand plan for your life or your day.

Hence my clarification "as long as they aren't hurting anyone with their misinformation". :p

I know. I just wanted to talk smack about people who believe in this one more time. :p

#23 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:05 PM

I have a friend who does horoscope charting. It requires your birthdate and the time you were born and it gets really in depth. I had her do mine for kicks but it ended up being eerily accurate. But those horoscopes in magazines, I don't think anyone believes them since they're always pretty general and can apply to anyone any day of the week.

#24 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:07 PM

I had a debate with my friend over this because I not only do not 'believe' in them, but I find them ridiculous. 

Food for thought on both sides:

I won't delve into the fact that there is no scientific evidence to support the theory of horoscopes. Because as the first quote said, the believers don't need it. And I do appreciate that lack of evidence does not disprove the theory.

What do you think? Do you think Claire from Vogue can predict how your days are going to turn out?

You're taking two different things and treating them as one. Do you want to talk about horoscopes or do you want to talk about astrology?

#25 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:18 PM

You're taking two different things and treating them as one. Do you want to talk about horoscopes or do you want to talk about astrology?

I suppose I find them one in the same. Both are based on people predicting outcomes based on the star alignment.

Horoscope: a forecast of a person's future, typically including a delineation of character and circumstances, based on the relative positions of the stars and planets at the time of that person's birth.

Astrology: the study of the movements and relative positions of celestial bodies interpreted as having an influence on human affairs and the natural world.

I have a friend who does horoscope charting. It requires your birthdate and the time you were born and it gets really in depth. I had her do mine for kicks but it ended up being eerily accurate. But those horoscopes in magazines, I don't think anyone believes them since they're always pretty general and can apply to anyone any day of the week.

Like I said, I do the same with my friend, so I feel the exact same way. But you'd be surprised about who really does believe in them more than the capacity than you and I do. :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users