• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:44 PM

I've said this a few times before, I'm extremely competitive, but only when I stand a chance.

Grades? Hell yeah, I wanna be the very best. Video games? I wanna be the first to beat? Sports? "I don't care about winning" :rolleyes: I'm not even sorry.

Are you?

#2 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:47 PM

Nope, not at all. I dislike competition. I would rather remove myself from the race and finish at my own pace than try to compete for the best time.

#3 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:50 PM

Nope, not at all. I dislike competition. I would rather remove myself from the race and finish at my own pace than try to compete for the best time.

What about against yourself? Using your example, do you try to overcome your own best time?

#4 Generic

Generic
  • 352 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:50 PM

Depends on what it is. If it's something I think I could be good at, I'm definitely competitive. That's actually the reason I only really play multiplayer games - I like getting better and I like winning. Usually I don't mind losing, unless I feel strongly like I was cheated out of the win, so I'm not hooooorribly competitive.

For things like sports or classes I'm not that competitive, I just usually do my best. It's mostly with games I'm competitive I guess, cause I really feel like I have a shot to do well in them if I try hard.

#5 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

Usually I don't mind losing, unless I feel strongly like I was cheated out of the win, so I'm not hooooorribly competitive.

Funny thing, even though I am very competitive, I'm totally fine with losing, most of the time. Probably because I'm used to it :p

#6 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

This. I suck at pretty much everything so I just remove myself from competition. I have the "you guys can fight over this, I'll go this way and do something else." attitude.

#7 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:54 PM

What about against yourself? Using your example, do you try to overcome your own best time?

Pff no, I don't need that kind of pressure in my life. :p

I'm more of a 'do your best, and if you suck, that's okay' kind of person.

With women, we tend to be extremely competitive with eachother. We all want to be the smartest, the funniest, the prettiest. But as I got older, I realized I will never be the best of any of those things. Even when I am a lawyer, I will not be the smartest lawyer .. because look at all those people going to Harvard. There will always be the next girl who will be prettier and funnier than I am and that's okay. Because she's freaking awesome, and I'm awesome too. In my own way. But I don't like the idea of breaking our necks trying to be the best of everything. We're all great in our own way. If I finish the race last, that's fine by me.

#8 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:54 PM

Sometimes. It definitely depends on what for me. I've never cared about things so much. I'm not a material person. But I can be competitive if I need to prove something to myself, or if I have something to prove to others. I know that's flawed and we should opt not to care about what others think of us. Most of the time, and with most people, I don't care what they think. But sometimes there is someone I feel the need to prove myself to. I can definitely get competitive in that case.

#9 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:55 PM

This. I suck at pretty much everything so I just remove myself from competition. I have the "you guys can fight over this, I'll go this way and do something else." attitude.

Don't worry, we can be noncompetitive together. 

And I don't think it's because you suck at everything lol .. not everyone enjoys competing with those around them. 

#10 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:56 PM

There will always be someone stronger, faster, and smarter. /shrug

Boy oh boy...I suck haha.

#11 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:56 PM

I've said this a few times before, I'm extremely competitive, but only when I stand a chance.

I am way more competitive than you.

#12 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:58 PM

I am way more competitive than you.

That's too meta for me :p

#13 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:02 PM

Ha, but in reality, I am probably like you @Swarley. I have become less that way since starting med school. (Because it isn't worth my time to be the best in my class. Those kids are much more dedicated to studying, so I settle for upper quartile). I have also decreased a bit since getting married. Competing with your spouse is a lose/lose.

#14 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:02 PM

I'm more competitive than most until there is a despairingly disparate gap that I can't overcome--to which then I act like a victim of random sorting of talent and capabilities.

#15 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:06 PM

Ha, but in reality, I am probably like you @Swarley. I have become less that way since starting med school. (Because it isn't worth my time to be the best in my class. Those kids are much more dedicated to studying, so I settle for upper quartile).

Damn right, that's so true. I was the best until I got to college, now I'm totally fine getting mediocre grades. As long as I know I'm learning, it's good hahah.

#16 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:01 PM

I'm not competitive at all. I'm the least competitive person. I'm #1 non-competitive.

;) ;P 

#17 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:44 PM

I'm the annoying "lowkey" kind of competitive. I'm secretly comparing myself to everyone else all the time but if you ask me directly I'm like nah nah leave me out of this i suck 

I do suck at most things but I still have my shitty pride, ya know?

#18 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:53 PM

I'm the annoying "lowkey" kind of competitive. I'm secretly comparing myself to everyone else all the time but if you ask me directly I'm like nah nah leave me out of this i suck 

I do suck at most things but I still have my shitty pride, ya know?

This speaks to me on a personal level :p This way if I fail, I don't lose face, and I can just wallow in self-pity without additionally feeling judged by others for failing. I do set goals for myself (which usually involves comparing myself to a more accomplished person in that particular aspect), that I will almost maim myself to accomplish. All on the down-low though. External praise and recognition aren't what drive my motivation anyway, so this works for me. I'm the Michael Phelps that's secretly staring daggers, except no one knows.. Except me  :ninja:

#19 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:00 PM

This speaks to me on a personal level :p This way if I fail, I don't lose face, and I can just wallow in self-pity without additionally feeling judged by others for failing. I do set goals for myself (which usually involves comparing myself to a more accomplished person in that particular aspect), that I will almost maim myself to accomplish. All on the down-low though. External praise and recognition aren't what drive my motivation anyway, so this works for me. I'm the Michael Phelps that's secretly staring daggers, except no one knows.. Except me  :ninja:

hell yeah. all about that intrinsic motivation. I'm competitive about the most mundane shit too so if anyone else knew they wouldn't compliment me anyway. 

#20 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:34 PM

There are very few things I'm competitive about.

Pokemon? Yup. If I get haxed out of a win, I'm gonna be super salty.

Fighting games? Meh. You learn more from a loss than a win.

Grades? C's get degrees but if you rub your grade in my face, I'll start trying to kick your academic ass.

Other than that, meh. Maybe to fuck with people sometimes.

#21 Pryanka

Pryanka
  • 232 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:52 PM

I am definitely very competitive - but as everybody else said, only in certain things. (But full disclosure: sometimes, I can also get competitive at how NOT good I am at something. Like I know you said you suck at chess, but I really suck at chess...that kind of thing)

I like my competitive nature - it's what motivates me to keep trying harder. Seeing somebody else accomplish something bigger or better doesn't even mean I lost, it just drives my competitive spirit to be like...look at what else you can acccomplish if you just keep going. 

I'm a sore loser sometimes....I get all pouty and frustrated and everybody else gets amused at my expense :p I know I am, and I've definitely gotten better at masking my butthurtness over the years, but that's not something that's going to go away completely due to the aforementioned competitive nature. 

Edited by Pryanka, 11 August 2016 - 09:52 PM.

#22 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:04 AM

I'm only competitive in things I care about. Video games and art, mostly, and sometimes music and strategy games like Scrabble and Checkers.

So yes, I'm quite competitive. :p

#23 pancakeface

pancakeface
  • 769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:20 AM

Pff no, I don't need that kind of pressure in my life. :p

I'm more of a 'do your best, and if you suck, that's okay' kind of person.

With women, we tend to be extremely competitive with eachother. We all want to be the smartest, the funniest, the prettiest. But as I got older, I realized I will never be the best of any of those things. Even when I am a lawyer, I will not be the smartest lawyer .. because look at all those people going to Harvard. There will always be the next girl who will be prettier and funnier than I am and that's okay. Because she's freaking awesome, and I'm awesome too. In my own way. But I don't like the idea of breaking our necks trying to be the best of everything. We're all great in our own way. If I finish the race last, that's fine by me.

I subscribe to that philosophy very much. But sometimes competitiveness sneaks up on you. So thanks, It's great to read that perspective and remember.

#24 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:34 AM

I like my competitive nature - it's what motivates me to keep trying harder. Seeing somebody else accomplish something bigger or better doesn't even mean I lost, it just drives my competitive spirit to be like...look at what else you can acccomplish if you just keep going. 

This. Competition can be healthy. If you just sit around and do nothing all day because there's always someone better, how can you become a better person?

#25 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:29 AM

I have also decreased a bit since getting married. Competing with your spouse is a lose/lose.

Please, I've been winning at marriage since 2009.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users