Quantcast

Photo

What was your favorite activity/activites in Middle School Math?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Futurama

Futurama
  • The Teacher.

• 3772 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:36 PM

That's right folks, I'm asking you to think back to middle school, maybe some of you are still in middle school. Now that I am officially a teacher, I would like to hear from people what their favorite activities were and I may try to even implement them into my classroom! I already have my day 1 material ready....my students will be playing a "Would You Rather?" game and will be filling out a Facebook page (on paper) that asks them questions about themselves (this is an easy way for me to get information on them).

#2 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:18 PM

I always liked when my teacher asked me to put my one in her zero after class 

#3 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:31 PM

Ok, so I am a nerd... my favorite thing was playing "Around the World" with multiplication tables. We'd set our desks in a square and one person would stand behind another and race to solve the problem of the current flash card... who ever guesses right, the fastest, moves on. If a student makes it around the whole class, then they win a prize. I won 95% of the time. I won homework passes and never used them! My competitive side made me love learning, studying, and memorizing math problems.

Edited by Meowish, 19 August 2016 - 05:33 PM.

#4 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:30 PM

My favorite activities were reading manga and being bullied for being different.

#5 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:13 PM

I think I'm an odd one - I really enjoyed just doing exercises. I still do them from time to time lmao

#6 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:35 AM

I loved math! I had two different teachers. One was very sweet and explained everything to us as though we were 4, and the other was cool, loved a chat and treated us as though we were adults. I did far better in the first teachers (sweet-4) class than in the latter. lol. she wasn't ever intentionally being rude, she was just super thorough. I loved her class #nerd. She allowed us to work through the problems with a friend which was also a huge help. She never didn't anything "fun" with us, except bring a water jug and disposable cups for us to use during class. She was the best and our whole class agreed. :) 

Congrats on the job! Wishing you all the best! :)

#7 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:53 AM

I did a quick google search of what middle school is because I have no idea - it's grades seven through nine? So I'm just going to say my favourite subject. Is that right? Or did you mean something specifically with 'activities'?

When not skipping class and being a hooligan, I enjoyed English class. At first I was outraged at being forced to read books - but I ended up loving so many of them that I'm glad I was forced to. Slaughterhouse 5 is my all time favourite book. I hated group work because I disliked most people my own age.

And to add to that, I have no idea why there was so much group work in school. It gave me no life skills other than discouraging working at my own pace and trusting my own ideas. It's also awkward when you have no friends in the class and are forced to work with people who don't want to work with you. In my legal career thus far I have never had any work based on group work and have never had my own work judged on the basis of how others worked with me. It's stupid.

#8 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:23 AM

I hate working in groups still, even in college. You only work as well as your weakest link. And I am older than most students, so when I am parried with tradition students (18-22 years old) they want to procrastinate and wait until the last second to do the work. I hate procrastination. I like to get work done ASAP so I can sit back, relax, and watch everyone freak out as the dye date gets closer. But group work is lame.
Unless I get to pick the group myself.

#9 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:37 PM

My favorite activities were reading manga and being bullied for being different.

I feel that. 

My favorite activity in middle school math..oh wow, it's hard to remember anything that wasn't bullying for those years..we did some experiments with measuring tape, I suppose when we were learning to calculate distance and then we also did some experiments on the stairs when we were learning about calculating velocity. Basically, even though I hated math, and still kind of do, the hands on stuff was always a welcome change from sitting there and looking at numbers and symbols. 

#10 Trapezeo

Trapezeo
  • 746 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:11 PM

I always liked logic puzzles. Person 1 is taller than person 2, but person 4 is shorter than 3. Who was wearing the pink shirt on the second Wednesday of the first month of 2005? It was Regina George. 

#11 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:37 PM

Being called a cheater because I was the only one to ever score 100% on the monthly math aptitude test (and also consistently) for the three years I was there. Teacher teaches the material, you take the digital multiple-choice test anytime during the month (generally the teachers print it out and have the tests taken on paper first), then you get your score. I occasionally missed one but that is only because the tests were boring.

To rub salt in the wound, I would also complete that night's homework during class. One of the teachers started trimming the required homework at the end of class so I would be doing the extra work for nothing but I didn't give a fuck. He gave up after he realized I started doing homework from other classes instead.

#12 Guppie

Guppie
  • 1285 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:01 AM

READING! As a social pariah, reading was one of the few escapes afforded to me in middle and high school. I don't think I would have survived high school without books.

Edit: Just to be clear, reading was my favorite activity in all my classes, even math. I would listen with one ear and answer correctly more often than other students when called upon, but my nose was always in a book, and I hated with a cold and enduring passion any person (teacher or not) that took that refuge from me.

#13 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:51 AM

I hated everything past 4th grade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users