• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:55 PM

It is September and for a lot of students in certain parts of the world like myself, we will be starting or started the new Fall semester already. There is a huge question on my mind: Do you hate school already? Even if your school started at a different time of year, was there an event or person that made you hate the place you're studying at?

So I started actually more than a week ago. After Boston, I had one day and went back to the old crow's nest. Everything was cool so far except the bursar's office messed up my student account. They didn't apply a loan that financial aid officially cleared (and even made the call and email for me) and because of that, they charged me a $300 fine. I'm still contesting it to this day and it's like they're not even looking at it. The fine goes by month so if they don't get their shit together, I'll be fined another $300. I doubt I'll actually end up paying the fines, but this is such a huge headache for an issue out of my control. 

My classes are fine. This is my last year and my focus for my thesis is surrounding the topic of psychiatric genomics towards a prevalent issue like drug or gambling addiction. The topic of mine really depends on what resources I can use to complete it, not really about what I really want to do at this point. A part of that research is visiting some fancy smancy, so much better than my school will ever be, university intermittently throughout the year. I am not looking forward to basically write a book on the matter.

Also, my research adviser is too busy with the fresh med students to bother with me at the moment and that annoys me considering I need him to get in contact of more than one school for collaborative "opportunities" (read as: contingency plans of people to conduct and analyze research with outside my school because the budget committee of my school treats the psych department as the redheaded step child of the medical departments).

Share. Complain.

#2 Generic

Generic
  • 352 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:09 PM

Naw. It starts in a little over a week here in Canada, and at the moment I'm looking forward to school starting. Going into 4th year of university is crazy, and I'm not at all ready for school to end, so it's a little scary being in my last year. Besides that though, I've got pretty high hopes for this year. Moving out as soon as me and my roomates find a place so I won't have to commute an hour each way every day. Plus last year was the best year I've had in a long time overall - I joined the musical and met a ton of people and really came out of my shell more. Hoping this year is even better.

Plus, honestly, I'm pretty done with summer. I don't get out enough when I'm not forced to be around people, so the summer was a bit of a wash. I'm glad to be forced to be around people. I'm a really social person, I'm just really lazy. I go a bit stir crazy over the summer :/ It'll be nice to see everyone again.

Really not looking forward to actually doing work though. I seem to get lazier and lazier every year... consistently. But at the same time I guess I kind of get better at working through my laziness. Still sucks though, it's like pulling teeth getting my work done sometimes.

#3 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:27 PM

Your complaining sounds a lot more called for than mine does. But I'm going to complain anyways.

I just hate taking night classes. It's honestly exhausting. I have 17 hour days (commute + work + school) coming up again. And I want to die just thinking of it. I have no idea how I have maintained the grades I have been because I have practically no energy when I'm in class. And plus I find it extremely challenging to sit in a class and listen to someone speak for four+ hours without a break. I'm perpetually tired, hungry and fantasizing about jumping off a bridge. I am endlessly envious of those who do not have to support themselves while going to school. But I'm just salty because I don't want to take out loans and as a result I'm spending my 20's working like a dog.

#4 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:20 PM

School starts in a few hours.

I graduated 6 years ago.

I hate it already. 

#5 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:30 PM

Naw. It starts in a little over a week here in Canada, and at the moment I'm looking forward to school starting. Going into 4th year of university is crazy, and I'm not at all ready for school to end, so it's a little scary being in my last year. Besides that though, I've got pretty high hopes for this year. Moving out as soon as me and my roomates find a place so I won't have to commute an hour each way every day. Plus last year was the best year I've had in a long time overall - I joined the musical and met a ton of people and really came out of my shell more. Hoping this year is even better.

Plus, honestly, I'm pretty done with summer. I don't get out enough when I'm not forced to be around people, so the summer was a bit of a wash. I'm glad to be forced to be around people. I'm a really social person, I'm just really lazy. I go a bit stir crazy over the summer :/ It'll be nice to see everyone again.

Really not looking forward to actually doing work though. I seem to get lazier and lazier every year... consistently. But at the same time I guess I kind of get better at working through my laziness. Still sucks though, it's like pulling teeth getting my work done sometimes.

Well, fuck you and your positive and hopeful outlook on the upcoming year. I hope someone says good luck to you in the theatre. Other than deadlines, are there other ways for you to motivate yourself? I motivate myself in knowing I'll never fear the regret of not doing my best if I actually do shit.

Your complaining sounds a lot more called for than mine does. But I'm going to complain anyways.

I just hate taking night classes. It's honestly exhausting. I have 17 hour days (commute + work + school) coming up again. And I want to die just thinking of it. I have no idea how I have maintained the grades I have been because I have practically no energy when I'm in class. And plus I find it extremely challenging to sit in a class and listen to someone speak for four+ hours without a break. I'm perpetually tired, hungry and fantasizing about jumping off a bridge. I am endlessly envious of those who do not have to support themselves while going to school. But I'm just salty because I don't want to take out loans and as a result I'm spending my 20's working like a dog.

All forms of complaining is valid. Your school life sounds so difficult. I know for sure I wouldn't be successful living a student life in your shoes. I don't work extensively (like a real job outside of student dev) and plan to just work off my student loans later since my job will pay it off in a reasonable amount of time. I'm jealous of your vitality to go through all that. What do you do for fun/relaxation/enjoyment that leads you to not actually jump the proverbial bridge? There must be something supportive or motivating that makes you be able to endure that strain.

School starts in a few hours.

I graduated 6 years ago.

I hate it already. 

*salutes*

Wait a minute, shouldn't you be asleep?

If you don't mind sharing, what was the reason for the gap in education or did you only recently decide to continue your education?

#6 Generic

Generic
  • 352 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:55 PM

Well, fuck you and your positive and hopeful outlook on the upcoming year. I hope someone says good luck to you in the theatre. Other than deadlines, are there other ways for you to motivate yourself? I motivate myself in knowing I'll never fear the regret of not doing my best if I actually do shit.

Don't worry, I'm sure my positive outlook will be crushed soon enough :p Honestly I wouldn't even say that I motivate myself really, I just downright force myself when I really have to do something. I often skip tiny assignments entirely (eg. Assignments worth 1%), or I'll just do the bare minimum, and then work my ass off begrudgingly through an entire assignment worth like, say, 20%-50%. Plus my entire work ethic is to set aside 5times the amount of time the assignment takes and just take breaks like nonstop.

#7 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:35 AM

If you don't mind sharing, what was the reason for the gap in education or did you only recently decide to continue your education?

Probably.

I graduated high school in 2010. 

I almost lost my scholarship to college due to bad grades so I kinda just gave up in 2011. 

I'm not in school at the moment, I was just trying to make a joke. 

#8 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:22 AM

I'm studying abroad in Italy this semester, I don't know if I like it yet. Everyone says that studying abroad is supposed to be one of the best experiences of your life but this is way out of my comfort zone right now. Italy itself is a lot more ratchet and disorganized than I'm used to. I'm also living with 6 other girls and I'm kind of a germaphobe/neatfreak so it's freaking me out a bit. 

Classes itself aren't bad, I have all morning classes and only from Mon-Wed so that's pretty awesome. The school is about 20 times smaller than my college at home which is really weird for me. 

#9 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:55 AM

I hate it.

Only because I'm not there for another year.

#10 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:43 AM

Despite being a grown up and not having cared about school for 5 years, I'm aggravated because schools going back makes my commute so much worse. Children everywhere, roads are busier because of people ferrying their spawn around, tubes suddenly rammed because of parents who are forced to holiday outside term time are all back at work...hellish.

#11 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:03 AM

Due to the nature of my job, I work odd and often extreme hours in the Fall, so I only take classes in my graduate program during the Spring and Summer. It's kind of a bummer because I am wasting a whole semester that I could be making progress towards finishing, but I knew going into it that there wasn't any way possible to juggle both. Such is life. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

#12 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:55 AM

Yes, I have all these fucking kids in my yard after school because they stop by on their walk home to do pokemon stuff at the gym and pokestop.

#13 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:06 AM

I'm tired. I'm cranky. I'm bogged down with a ridiculous number of assignments and writing of papers in small timeframes. I also work full time.

I'm so ready for school to be over.

I would write more but it would just be endless bitching about how much I hate this situation.

Probably.

I almost lost my scholarship to college due to bad grades so I kinda just gave up in 2011. 

I lost a year due to clinical depression when I was an undergrad. I didn't think I could go back. I thought that I'd never graduate, so I should just look for a clerical job instead. But I went back. And I finished summa cum laude as Americans would say. And more than anything else I've done, that's something I'm the most proud of because I made it to the finish line, fighting each step of the way.

Don't give up. Get back on that horse when you're ready. You earned that scholarship before, that means you're more than capable when the time is right.

#14 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:08 AM

Probably.

It took me like 8 years to get an associates'. You can still do it!

#15 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:11 AM

I'm studying abroad in Italy this semester, I don't know if I like it yet. Everyone says that studying abroad is supposed to be one of the best experiences of your life but this is way out of my comfort zone right now. Italy itself is a lot more ratchet and disorganized than I'm used to. I'm also living with 6 other girls and I'm kind of a germaphobe/neatfreak so it's freaking me out a bit. 

Classes itself aren't bad, I have all morning classes and only from Mon-Wed so that's pretty awesome. The school is about 20 times smaller than my college at home which is really weird for me. 

You can reenact Eat Pray Love! She went to Italy, right? I don't know, I've never been to Italy, never really felt the desire to visit either. Six girls are a lot to deal with if the place is small, unless you really like having company. Are you all taking the same classes? You can pretend you're kpop idol trainees and do everything together!

#16 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:25 AM

I hate it already. My financial aid account is all fucked up and even though I contacted 3 separate individuals in the office over two weeks ago, I've heard nothing back, so I have gotten none of my money.  Every. Single. Year.

#17 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:54 AM

You can reenact Eat Pray Love! She went to Italy, right? I don't know, I've never been to Italy, never really felt the desire to visit either. Six girls are a lot to deal with if the place is small, unless you really like having company. Are you all taking the same classes? You can pretend you're kpop idol trainees and do everything together!

Lmfao, yeah she went to Italy. I went to Italy 10 years ago, I thought I wanted to go again but I also made my decision over a plate of risotto. Unfortunately, visiting and living in a place are completely different. 

All the girls are white so yeah I'm not doing any idol training with them. About 99% of people here are white. 

#18 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:06 AM

All forms of complaining is valid. Your school life sounds so difficult. I know for sure I wouldn't be successful living a student life in your shoes. I don't work extensively (like a real job outside of student dev) and plan to just work off my student loans later since my job will pay it off in a reasonable amount of time. I'm jealous of your vitality to go through all that. What do you do for fun/relaxation/enjoyment that leads you to not actually jump the proverbial bridge? There must be something supportive or motivating that makes you be able to endure that strain.

It's not so much difficult rather than tiring. I don't find the actual work that challenging, but I'm still at the beginning stages of my degree so I hope that doesn't change. Taking out student loans and doing full-time school is totally the more logical route - I just think that because I've been working and supporting myself for so many years I'm extremely uncomfortable with the thought of not working. I don't do much for fun or relaxation, I just have a passion for law and when I'm not absolutely exhausted I do enjoy the work. The only thing that gets me through all of this is the thought of taking a year off once I complete my degree (in two years). I hoard my money so one day I can take time off from working full-time for the first time since I was 16.

#19 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:15 AM

I'm tired. I'm cranky. I'm bogged down with a ridiculous number of assignments and writing of papers in small timeframes. I also work full time.

I'm so ready for school to be over.

I would write more but it would just be endless bitching about how much I hate this situation.

I lost a year due to clinical depression when I was an undergrad. I didn't think I could go back. I thought that I'd never graduate, so I should just look for a clerical job instead. But I went back. And I finished summa cum laude as Americans would say. And more than anything else I've done, that's something I'm the most proud of because I made it to the finish line, fighting each step of the way.

Don't give up. Get back on that horse when you're ready. You earned that scholarship before, that means you're more than capable when the time is right.

Well, I wanted to change my major but probably something to do with video game design since I don't really care about much else. Honestly I'm one of those people who'd consider it an accomplishment to be fast food management lol. Depression was part of the problem as to why my grades slipped so bad, and to be honest? I still haven't quite pulled myself out of it. I feel like I'm getting too old to go back to school though. I'm 24. I would have graduated by now. 

The other part? I'm disabled for life and just kinda. Don't really know if I even /can/ go back you know? And if I did, I need to wait until I finish my immigration stuff, which is going to be another few years. 

It took me like 8 years to get an associates'. You can still do it!

8 years? That does really make things seem more possible. 

#20 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:08 PM

Well, I wanted to change my major but probably something to do with video game design since I don't really care about much else. Honestly I'm one of those people who'd consider it an accomplishment to be fast food management lol. Depression was part of the problem as to why my grades slipped so bad, and to be honest? I still haven't quite pulled myself out of it. I feel like I'm getting too old to go back to school though. I'm 24. I would have graduated by now. 

The other part? I'm disabled for life and just kinda. Don't really know if I even /can/ go back you know? And if I did, I need to wait until I finish my immigration stuff, which is going to be another few years. 

2006-2013

#21 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:39 PM

Jess isn't wrong. It will have taken me 5 years for my BS. And I still see lots of older folks in my classes, either coming back after 10 years, or starting for the first time. It's really never too late to start or finish your degree. If it's something you want, go for it.

#22 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:55 PM

Jess isn't wrong. It will have taken me 5 years for my BS. And I still see lots of older folks in my classes, either coming back after 10 years, or starting for the first time. It's really never too late to start or finish your degree. If it's something you want, go for it.

Fun Fact: I am one of four students who are in their 20's in my year in my specific program. There are 14 of us here. There are different paths leading up to similar ends and one path is not always the correct one. Don't be down thinking you're not where you should be at this time. The only thing you should worry about is not moving forward. The one classmate that keeps me motivated and inspired is a 51 year old mother of 4 kids in elementary and middle school age who was previously a social worker and counselor who wanted to upgrade her job so she can perform more responsibilities like prescribe meds and go deep into research back at her work. That's post grad.

For undergrad, my high school friend is taking up a BSN in nursing after already graduating with a business (with honors and all those awards short of valedictorian) and worked in a successful firm with a salary that I would die happy having. He's doing what he likes and he's working at it. He's taking the prerequisite courses so he can apply to an accelerated program.

For my last example, there is my cousin who spent 7 years in a mental hospital since he was 16 and just last April got his GED. He's in SUNY Buffalo right now for his Freshman studying Chemistry to work towards a pharmacy career path.

Doing things at your pace sounds like a huge cop out, but those who make fun of that statement are frustrated from feeling like they're going and ending up in the same place. I will never take light of those few words.  

#23 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:35 PM

Fun Fact: I am one of four students who are in their 20's in my year in my specific program. There are 14 of us here. There are different paths leading up to similar ends and one path is not always the correct one. Don't be down thinking you're not where you should be at this time. The only thing you should worry about is not moving forward. The one classmate that keeps me motivated and inspired is a 51 year old mother of 4 kids in elementary and middle school age who was previously a social worker and counselor who wanted to upgrade her job so she can perform more responsibilities like prescribe meds and go deep into research back at her work. That's post grad.

For undergrad, my high school friend is taking up a BSN in nursing after already graduating with a business (with honors and all those awards short of valedictorian) and worked in a successful firm with a salary that I would die happy having. He's doing what he likes and he's working at it. He's taking the prerequisite courses so he can apply to an accelerated program.

For my last example, there is my cousin who spent 7 years in a mental hospital since he was 16 and just last April got his GED. He's in SUNY Buffalo right now for his Freshman studying Chemistry to work towards a pharmacy career path.

Doing things at your pace sounds like a huge cop out, but those who make fun of that statement are frustrated from feeling like they're going and ending up in the same place. I will never take light of those few words.  

I think @Amethyst needs this more than I do.

But I agree with you Kelvin and thank you for taking the time to share the experiences of people you've met with us. It can be hard to appreciate the steps we take to move forward, if we try to measure ourselves compared to people going faster than us. And I definitely think you're right - "the only thing you should worry about is not moving forward".

#24 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:58 PM

That... Really gives me a new perspective on things. 

People work at their own paces, and you can't conform to what's an expected standard if you just can't. 

It makes me feel less bad about myself I know that much. 

#25 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:00 PM

That... Really gives me a new perspective on things. 

People work at their own paces, and you can't conform to what's an expected standard if you just can't. 

It makes me feel less bad about myself I know that much. 

My grandmother didn't even start college til after 40 and ended up double majoring in teaching and some smart people crap like math.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users