Photo

Question about Neopets Frozen Accounts?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Spenzer

Spenzer
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:14 PM

I know a lot of you guys on this site are good with coding and make programs and such, but I was just thinking, when a neopet account gets frozen, would it really be that hard to get in to the account yourself and unfreeze it? Besides waiting on TNT to do it.  Is there a reason this hasn't been done before  (or has it? I don't know). Or getting items off of frozen accounts? I figure that'd be harder. I know nothing about programming so I wanted to ask you guys. Hopefully I'm making sense... lol.

#2 FelisNoctua

FelisNoctua
  • 657 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:05 PM

It really, really is. The programs here are really just GUIs that submit appropriate parameters to a receiving program that expect data within certain parameters. Account existence and status is way beyond that. Getting into that would require so many things, it would be insane to try to list even a possible flowchart for it. :/

COULD someone do it? Yes, but that person hacks other people's computers to find bank information and make money, not neopoints.

I might be hyperbolic right now, I'm drinking, wine. But the premise stands.

You make sense, it's just not doable.

These programs are to hacking, as CSS is to PHP. Or, McDonald's soft serve is to Dairy Queen Blizzard.

#3 Generic

Generic
  • 352 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2016 - 10:27 PM

@Katclawz, yeah it's not really even similar to the bots here, FelisNoctua was right.

Just to kind of clarify her point, the programs here basically only do what a user could do manually - albeit sometimes faster or more accurately. A score sender sends game scores (essentially playing the games), an autobuyer buys items fast, an auto refresher just refreshes, etc. Since a user can't manually get items off a frozen account, it can't be easily programmed into a bot.

Like FelisNoctua said, what you're asking for is more related to hacking into the server (or finding an exploit) rather than just automating something like an autobuyer. It's kind of the same reason you can't program an "item/neopoints generator". It's probably not impossible, but with no known exploit or simple hack, it can't be done.

#4 Junjie

Junjie
  • Hi there!

• 2267 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2016 - 10:40 PM

That sort of hacking (assuming the hacking is involved, which is pretty likely) also would be pretty much illegal, whereas bots that just automate what a user can do are not at all illegal. At most they just violate the terms of service, which just leads to frozen accounts and maybe a cease-and-decease letter if you do it too much and TNT feels like warning you off.

For obvious reasons, public cheating forums like this one would not condone crossing the line into outright illegal activities. And those which do, as mentioned by @FelisNoctua previously, generally would go for more profitable targets to make criminal activity at least worthwhile lol.

#5 Spenzer

Spenzer
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:17 AM

Ah that makes sense. I figured it would cross the line between "legal" and illegal. I was just curious, was all. Thanks for tagging me, @Generic. I tried to follow this post when I made it but it was being glitchy so it didn't let me. I just noticed the alert from the tag.

#6 Dont

Dont
  • 257 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:22 AM

Someone do it and hmu when you figure it out haha

#7 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:28 AM

Ah that makes sense. I figured it would cross the line between "legal" and illegal. I was just curious, was all. Thanks for tagging me, @Generic. I tried to follow this post when I made it but it was being glitchy so it didn't let me. I just noticed the alert from the tag.

I was curious about this too just the other day. I would LOVE to be able to unfreeze my old accounts. I can see how it could easily be abused if it could happen. It is nice dreaming though. :p ... so many millions, perhaps hundreds of millions of frozen neopoints, silently waiting for "global warming" to kick their ass back into my hands. :p 

#8 Stephen

Stephen
  • 3527 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:07 PM

To be able to do this you would need either staff/admin permissions on Neopets, otherwise you'd need direct access to the database at some point. There are numerous ways this could (unlikely) be achieved but it's something that would be:

1) Almost certainly illegal (exploiting vulnerable code/services to gain root access to the server fleet, or using SQL injection if prepared statements aren't being used for example)

2) Likely patched almost instantly when discovered

3) Dangerous to other Neopets users, their account security and the site in general

Generally speaking, all the programs you can get here will only perform actions you can do by hand yourself. They don't have superpowers to access or do restricted things, or perform actions a typical user can't do. 

#9 Spenzer

Spenzer
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:40 PM

@Stephen thanks for calrifying. :)

#10 savethekings

savethekings
  • 51 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:31 PM

When is a member of codex finally going to infiltrate tnt?

#11 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:34 PM

How do you know we have not already ;)

#12 Spenzer

Spenzer
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:36 AM

Cuz my account is still frozen!  xD @Bones

#13 GetJinxed

GetJinxed
  • Reckless Cheater

• 1423 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:27 AM

Reading all this reminded me on how they kept plain text passwords on their database :facepalm:

#14 renegade

renegade
  • 127 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:22 PM

How about some rich neocodexian just buys neopets from JN and then our problems would be solved lol

#15 Spenzer

Spenzer
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:31 PM

How about some rich neocodexian just buys neopets from JN and then our problems would be solved lol

Omg please xD I've always thought of this. Dunno how much Neo is worth atm though lol

Reading all this reminded me on how they kept plain text passwords on their database :facepalm:

What? o.o *confused* Lol.

#16 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:10 PM

We have had close contact with members of TnT before.

And yes, there was a mysql injection done on neopets many years ago that revealed they stored passwords in plain text... It is one of the reasons we know about how they "flag" accounts and do ban waves

#17 jaredyne

jaredyne
  • 1115 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:04 PM

We have had close contact with members of TnT before.

And yes, there was a mysql injection done on neopets many years ago that revealed they stored passwords in plain text... It is one of the reasons we know about how they "flag" accounts and do ban waves

oh my golly gosh lol... that's insane...ly hilarious

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users