• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:07 PM

You definitely do not need to be on the spectrum to have sensory issues with touch, so, I imagine how you experience it isn't a lot different than I do. Hope that makes sense. And I agree it can really be a struggle. I have a huge personal bubble because of it. There are a few people I am comfortable enough with that I can indulge them for photos or hugs or whatever. People just take it so damn personal. Lol. Like it's not. A lot of my tactile issues are with certain textures. Oddly that makes hugging naked people easier. It's often clothing, or accessories that people wear that make it worse for me. But there is still major discomfort with people invading my space. Especially if I don't know them well, or at all.

That does make sense, and it's good to know that. I feel the same way - only some people I am comfortable with and they are few and far apart. I get extremely overwhelmed with fast paced physical touch (mostly by my (ex)boyfriend making advances on me) so that was always a huge struggle in our relationship. 

I read that some people are extremely sensitive to texture. That's really interesting and I bet it's helpful to pinpoint what bothers you and what doesn't. Do you mind if I ask what specific textures? I also read something along the lines of when people with autism (specifically Aspergers I believe) feel overwhelmed, to apply pressure onto the back or chest areas to relieve the over-stimulation or discomfort? Does that help? I've yet to try it because I'm not sure if it is it exclusively a remedy for those on the spectrum? I've basically tried to do reading on this issue but I felt really misguided and was bombarded with information.

Edit: Lol and I'm sorry for derailing this thread so heavily. I know this isn't related to the topic discussion so .. sorry. :(

#27 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:10 AM

This times a thousand. I'm autistic as well. Touching is weird for m,e. Most of my friends nowadays are super respectful of my boundaries. I think I just have better friends now though. My family...not so much. But I disowned some of them and the rest of them disowned me in response. So eh whatever.

I only have my grandparents and my parents. I feel. Majority of my family hates me at this point.

I used to care, but not really so much anymore. I don't need them. 

I feel like the family I do have just tolerates me because they feel obligated anyway.

Oh god, just reading that made me cringe. I hate when people don't respect boundaries. Totally support you in that decision, friends should not make you feel uncomfortable. It's just a shame when people don't understand or care enough to try to.

Nope, true friends won't make you uncomfortable. I prefer keeping majority of my friends as online friends for that reason. Plus, I'm a total recluse anyway lol

#28 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:57 AM

Woodstock?

Y'all forgetting the 60's and shit? lol

Yup everyone in this thread is much less cultured than you and we've all completely forgotten about the 60s and Woodstock. /s Name twenty other music festivals from the 60s that had the attendance numbers we have at festivals today and I'll stop talking about how much more popular and widespread they are recently. You can't. What you can do is stop trying to reply to my posts.

#29 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:15 AM

That does make sense, and it's good to know that. I feel the same way - only some people I am comfortable with and they are few and far apart. I get extremely overwhelmed with fast paced physical touch (mostly by my (ex)boyfriend making advances on me) so that was always a huge struggle in our relationship. 

I read that some people are extremely sensitive to texture. That's really interesting and I bet it's helpful to pinpoint what bothers you and what doesn't. Do you mind if I ask what specific textures? I also read something along the lines of when people with autism (specifically Aspergers I believe) feel overwhelmed, to apply pressure onto the back or chest areas to relieve the over-stimulation or discomfort? Does that help? I've yet to try it because I'm not sure if it is it exclusively a remedy for those on the spectrum? I've basically tried to do reading on this issue but I felt really misguided and was bombarded with information.

Edit: Lol and I'm sorry for derailing this thread so heavily. I know this isn't related to the topic discussion so .. sorry. :(

There are so many different textures.

Uhm you know those drying clothes that pick up lint? I don't know what those are called. I think they can be used to dry/shine cars too. But the texture makes me physically ill. Like it catches on your hands and ugh thinking about it just hurts my brain. I can't stand tightness around my armpits like typically female-cut shirts. So I wear gender-neutral cut shirts. If a shirt has been worn long enough, and it starts to get bumps on it from being washed wrong, or just being washed too much, makes me ill (this applies to old blankets/sheets/towels). Faded textured logos on shirts that get crusty from peeling (happens when you don't wash the shirt inside out, and can happen from general wear and tear) make me sick. I am okay with cotton, silk, and some denim. If there is a textured logo, the texture needs to be smooth and uninterrupted. I don't like knit anything. Knit blankets. Knit sweaters much (depends on how the yarn/material feels, if it's scratchy, no). Knit scarves. Bleh. I know there is more I don't have the language for every texture though and why/what it makes me feel lol.

Pressure does help me. There are these super cool blankets you can get that are weighted. They are made for autistic people. They can be really heavy. I've had my husband lay on me before to comfort me or ground me. I'm not sure why being weighted down like that is so comforting/helpful, but it just is and always has been. I think that's why I like big dogs so much. They will lay on you indiscriminately and for me it feels so damn good. If you have problems with being overstimulated (don't need to be autistic to have that problem, it's found in people with ADHD, and some people are just different), maybe a weighted blanket will help? They are kind of pricey. They don't work for everyone, since everyone is different, but hey, it's worth a try if you have some cash to spare. Alternatively, have someone lay on you?

#30 doyouevenlift

doyouevenlift
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:21 PM

What do you consider your generation? Millenials? 1980 - 2000?

#31 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:06 AM

Honestly I think past generations have got us beat. Decades ago they didn't have camera phones and social media so the parties would get really wild. The wild drinking parties during prohibition, the orgies in Studio 54 before the AIDS epidemic. I don't think we've got other generations beat at all, I think we're just more public about it since everything is on social media.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users