• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:57 AM

Didn't even know it went down? I've been using it pretty regularly a month or two ago?

yeah it was seized by US govt but there are ones still up that look like it

#27 Ubermensch

Ubermensch
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:59 AM

yeah it was seized by US govt but there are ones still up that look like it

Ahh I've probably been using those ones then. I mean luckily I've never had any issues, but then again I'd easily say 90% of films and shows I stream.

#28 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:23 PM

I do. At concerts.

Believe me, I support artists more by going to concerts and paying for merch than I possibly could buying albums. Artists get a fraction of the sale price of an album.

This is a debate for another topic really.

I agree with this. And I still buy albums from bands I love. Like I bought the new Blink-182 CD, but before I had it, I torrented it. There are bands that I have seen live 8 times, have multiple shirts, stickers etc. They get more money from me that way. Also, spotify among others are ways to not pay for music but still have the artists minimally compensated.

#29 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:04 AM

To update you all on what's going on:

2 Sites have popped up to replace What

PassTheHeadphones (PtH)

Maximum users: 5,000
Enabled users: 4,643 Details
Torrents: 161,278
Releases: 113,710
Artists: 95,095
"Perfect" FLACs: 65,402
Requests: 561 (49.02% filled)

Apollo (formerly Xanax)

Maximum users: 40,000
Enabled users: 21,456 Details
Torrents: 100,636
Releases: 65,608
Artists: 50,265
"Perfect" FLACs: 15,216
Requests: 1 (100.00% filled)

Both sites are doing well but they have split off in completely different directions. PtH is focusing on quality users by recruiting from the higher userclasses of other torrent sites. Apollo is focusing on gaining market share by doing open registration and worrying about quality later. How this plays out will affect the way sites rebuild in the future.

Meanwhile Waffles is still down from issues unrelated to the What raid but they have made their intentions to return known. It may be too late as PtH and Xnx are rapidly growing and gaining market share. Waffles also has no intention of switching to Gazelle, the system that originally slingshotted What to be the frontrunner in music torrenting.

This just proves that the whack-a-mole game the entertainment industry wants to play will never end. Truly exciting times we live in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users