• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:34 AM

For those of you starting back at school or work (if you teach), are you ready for your next semester? Did you enjoy your break? What classes are you taking? Are you crying because of how much debt you've accumulated? xD

I will be graduating this semester, so I'm super stoked it's started. My university shut down for the first official day though because of snow. So, none of my professors have posted syllabi (syllabuses?) yet. 

#2 JinxProof

JinxProof
  • 143 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:49 AM

No I'm not ready! But we don't start til the 21st so that's ok. I still have to get my independent study approved, though, and I haven't gotten an email back about it. If I don't get that 1 credit I can't graduate! It's... frustrating. Break was amazing, though, I started like a million personal projects.

I'm only taking one class, Evaluation of Library Services. Thrilling, right? ...I don't want to look at my loans, and YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!

Congrats on graduating! I am too! I can't WAIT!

#3 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:11 AM

No I'm not ready! But we don't start til the 21st so that's ok. I still have to get my independent study approved, though, and I haven't gotten an email back about it. If I don't get that 1 credit I can't graduate! It's... frustrating. Break was amazing, though, I started like a million personal projects.

I'm only taking one class, Evaluation of Library Services. Thrilling, right? ...I don't want to look at my loans, and YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!

Congrats on graduating! I am too! I can't WAIT!

Lucky! My break was from December 18th until January 9th. I feel like my university gives ridiculously short breaks and if you take any online classes, you don't get a Thanksgiving or spring break. 

That sounds super stressful, trying to finagle your credits, I feel that. I had to do a lot of fighting this last year to get shit lined up appropriately so I could graduate this spring. Are you majoring in library science? And congratulations on your graduation! That's awesome. We shall wait in excitement together! 

#4 Bee

Bee
  • 1169 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:04 AM

We started today and started with exams -_- I had a 3 hour data interpretation exam today, and have a 3 hour MCQ exam tomorrow. I still can't be arsed to study. On the flip side though, I am looking forward to this term because we are doing a cardio, respiratory and haematology module and I love cardiology. We also have more patient contact this term - more hospital visits and such, so that's exciting.

#5 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

I enjoyed my break. Got to go to Ikkicon in Austin, Texas. There I got a lot of pictures and a Hatsune Miku cosplay. I used my suitcase to move back into my dorm, and forgot I had part of my wig in there. So now I have a chance to walk around campus wearing a blue wig. I bought a Loki pillow as well, but I have no idea how it's going to fit on my bed, as I already have a Kylo one on it, but I needed it.  I also got a Kylo Ren build a bear with a lightsaber that actually lights up. 

Sadly, one of my hairbows broke during the trip. Kylo's lightsaber which was on the bow broke completely, so now when I get more money I have to order a new one off of Etsy.

I'm a biology major so right now I'm taking:

Genetics

Cell Biology (with lab)

Medical Terminology

Into to Ethics

American Politics

Choir 

Pitt requires us to take some general education classes, so into to ethics and American politics were my choices. Plus, they were two of the very few classes that would transfer from my branch campus Pitt-Greensburg to Pitt Main down in Oakland. I got my transfer papers put in through academic advising for the fall semester of 2017. Now all I have to do is call the housing people down in Okland about how I"m going to do my housing for next year (as right now I'm at a branch campus), call their academic advising office and see if I can do a phone advising for classes for next semester instead of having to drive down there, and then call the learning support office to see what I need to do to get my learning support transfered over there. 

Because I failed O Chem 1 last semester, I now have to take that over the summer. Thank goodness I passed the lab though!

#6 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

I still have to get my independent study approved, though, and I haven't gotten an email back about it. If I don't get that 1 credit I can't graduate! It's... frustrating. 

I also need one more credit! And also looking for an independent study. If I can't get one I'll need to register for another course, which would be annoying since I want to use the excess loans to use to move down to NYC. 

But anyway I'm pretty excited for the semester. I'm taking:

Globalization & Literary Culture (last major requirement)

Media and Politics

Philosophy of Mind (pretty excited for this)

I'm also on the Tobacco Free Campus Initiative committee, representing the student body. Thought it could be good political experience.

Also planning on doing intramural softball, and going to be taking advantage of the free bowling in the basement of our Student Union, got breaks of a few hours between class Tuesday and Thursday.

Will also be looking for a job to save up for the move.

And since I failed Spanish I'll have to take that again during the summer, so technically won't graduate this Spring, but I can still walk so not a big deal. Just more money which is an issue but if I get a job shouldn't be too bad. Also gotta start looking for a job in the city for after graduation, and apartment hunting in May! Ahhhh.

Good luck to everyone and enjoy!

#7 graciea

graciea
  • 105 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:20 PM

I'm graduating in a few months so I'm super stoked! Just, you know, not so stoked for all the exams before then... ^^;

I have a huge oral exam tomorrow because I'm an IB English student, and what happens is I go into an office with my teacher, they pick a name of a poem out of a hat, I have ~10 minutes to prepare and then they start an audio recorder and I have to do a spoken critical analysis of the poem for 10 minutes. After that they choose a random book and ask me questions on it for 8 minutes without prep time. I'm super nervous and apparently this is like, 60% of my final English mark. At least it'll be over in like, half an hour, though...

After that I gotta start prepping for the provincial English exam that I have to take near the end of this month, which is even more stressful because the results of it are known to be biased and often unfair. :( At this point, I just keep telling myself that time passes by quickly and I'll get it over and done with and forget about it within a week.

#8 Trapezeo

Trapezeo
  • 746 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:37 PM

I'm not in school right now, but I'm thinking about going for my MBA. I just don't know what I want to do with my life, so that kinda sucks. To be honest, I just want to travel and get paid to do it haha

#9 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:07 PM

I just started this semester last week. I have switched to online courses so I'm ecstatic. I absolutely hated having to work for eight hours and then sit in a classroom for four hours. I felt like I retained so little because I was so tired after work.

This semester I am doing Contract Law. I felt very demotivated last week when my professor posted saying this is the hardest course of the program, but I am actually really enjoying learning all of the mundane and intricate rules of what comprises or invalidates a contract. Depending on how this semester goes, I might be wanting to work in Business Law after I graduate .. #corporatesellout

#10 Swim

Swim
  • 547 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:29 PM

My exams are in a couple week and I'm sosososo screwed.

Spent my break taking it easy when I know i should've starting studying a bit

#11 JinxProof

JinxProof
  • 143 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:54 PM

Lucky! My break was from December 18th until January 9th. I feel like my university gives ridiculously short breaks and if you take any online classes, you don't get a Thanksgiving or spring break. 

That sounds super stressful, trying to finagle your credits, I feel that. I had to do a lot of fighting this last year to get shit lined up appropriately so I could graduate this spring. Are you majoring in library science? And congratulations on your graduation! That's awesome. We shall wait in excitement together! 

Mine was started December 10th too. Hmm, I thought this felt like a long break! It's weekend and evening classes (because we're assumed to have full time jobs) so there aren't a lot of other breaks.

It is a bit stressful, mostly just annoying and having to actually call people instead of relying on email. So... THE WORST! I am majoring in LIS yep! It's pretty awesome. Shit pay, but I love the job. Hooray for mutual excitement! Congrats and good luck this semester :)

@DonValentino Using excess loans to move to a very expensive city is giving me a panic attack to think about. Good luck with it though!

#12 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

Not much debt so I'm not complaining. Always worked while going to school full time to take care of that. Don't know why more people don't do that.

Taking mostly interesting classes I guess. Tbh I just signed up for whatever requirements I had left. 

#13 Generic

Generic
  • 352 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

Not really sure what to think about this semester. I guess I'm looking forward to it, but it's gonna be weird. The musical is coming up, but I'm only ensemble this year so to be honest I'm not exactly stoked for it. I'm hoping the join dodgeball, but I need to find a team in the league that'll take me in. Besides that, my courses look okay, and it'll be nice to get back into a routine... My brain's kind of turned to mush over the break. And it's my final semester in university so... That's a weird thought.

#14 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:35 PM

I'm dreading going back, i'm just not prepared mentally as yet. I have a few weeks to get myself together, but it's just weighing down on me right now. I'm going on sabbatical in September, but I have to lecture (my job) and complete my dissertation between now and June. I usually get things done in a mad panic, so I'm sitting here waiting for that to hit me.

@KyloRen, I figure this means you passed that horrendous Math course? I hope so!

@graciea that is an insane amount of pressure! Best of luck in that exam tomorrow :)

@cara I completely agree, the online programme for my university has changed my life! I'm glad you have that option, it makes such a big difference.

#15 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:33 PM

@Bee holy crap. What a way to start your term. But it sounds great that you're gonna get to do more hospital-y stuff. That sounds like a lot of fun and like a challenge. What year of med school are you in?

@KyloRen be sure to post pics of you in your wig (if you want)! It bet it looks great. I'm glad you enjoyed the con. Your classes this semester sound fucking awesome. Cell biology is so fun and I would love to take an ethics course. And congratulations on passing your lab. I hope things with your roommate get better.

@DonValentino Duuuuude, congrats! I had no idea this was your last semester. Your classes sound cool too. And damn, you're so involved in campus life. I'm like ain't nobody got time for that lmao. Good luck retaking Spanish this summer. I'm looking forward to a cap/gown pic of you man. 

@graciea Congratulations! Oral exams are rough, but if you mentally remind yourself to breathe, and focus on relaxing your muscles, it can definitely help with that pre-test anxiety. What is a provincial English exam? I've never heard of that before.

@Trapezeo Have you applied to an MBA program? If not, you should! Just get the ball rolling. Just because you apply doesn't mean you necessarily have to go, but if you take those baby steps, you might feel ready to commit to something. 

@cara Online classes are so dope. I've been taking them since I became officially disabled. It makes life soooooo much easier for me. I have only worked for a few semesters of my degree but being disabled and having surgeries and shit is pretty full-time. I can imagine it's as much as relief for you, because of your work schedule, as it is for me because of my health. Last term I took 4 online and 1 campus class. This term I'm taking 4 online and 1 campus class again. I'm also working this semester as a TA. So, that's gonna be interesting. I hope your classes go well!

@Swim try not to pressure yourself over things not done, and just study when you can now. Good luck on your exams though! Let us know how it goes. 

@JinxProof That's fucking awesome. LIS is so cool. It's not really about the money, but instead about the programs, community and outreach that a library offers. My cousin is a librarian and she is so passionate about her job. Libraries are like...sanctuaries to me. They are so so sooooo important. And just think, you're the next generation that gets to carry the legacy on. I always think of librarians as like therapists lmao. They are always there for people!

@Romy There are a lot of reasons people don't work while attending college. Glad you could, but that's kind of an ignorant statement. It's great you are going to get through school without loads of debt. I'm pretty happy with my measly 18 grand of debt lol. I came out rather unscathed. 

@Ladida What is your dissertation on if you don't mind me asking? I'm just nosy lol. I like hearing about this stuff.

#16 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:39 PM

@Romy There are a lot of reasons people don't work while attending college. Glad you could, but that's kind of an ignorant statement. It's great you are going to get through school without loads of debt. I'm pretty happy with my measly 18 grand of debt lol. I came out rather unscathed. 

I mean...of course it was ignorant ha. I said I don't understand why people don't do both.

I might be wanting to work in Business Law after I graduate .. #corporatesellout

Ew. Do workers comp. Pretty paycheck and it's easy as fuck.

(You may or may not hate yourself after a few years though ahah)

#17 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:48 PM

I mean...of course it was ignorant ha. I said I don't understand why people don't do both.

Oh. Did you want reasons? xD

Disabled. Lose some financial aid if you work (happened to me e.e). Attending full-time. Idk. That's all I got. But I'm sure there are loads I am ignorant of as well.

#18 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:04 PM

Not much debt so I'm not complaining. Always worked while going to school full time to take care of that. Don't know why more people don't do that.
Taking mostly interesting classes I guess. Tbh I just signed up for whatever requirements I had left.

70% of students work while going to school

I'm so glad I'm not in school anymore.

#19 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:26 AM

I don't go to school because I'm a grown up. Wouldn't go back for anything.

I do the odd bit of teaching work here and there (a couple of private students and occasional bits of work at my uni). I have put all my students off for another week.

#20 Bee

Bee
  • 1169 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:42 AM

@Bee holy crap. What a way to start your term. But it sounds great that you're gonna get to do more hospital-y stuff. That sounds like a lot of fun and like a challenge. What year of med school are you in?

I'm in my second year, so they trust us a bit more that we won't break patients lol.

#21 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:02 AM

I'm dreading going back, i'm just not prepared mentally as yet. I have a few weeks to get myself together, but it's just weighing down on me right now. I'm going on sabbatical in September, but I have to lecture (my job) and complete my dissertation between now and June. I usually get things done in a mad panic, so I'm sitting here waiting for that to hit me.

@KyloRen, I figure this means you passed that horrendous Math course? I hope so!

@graciea that is an insane amount of pressure! Best of luck in that exam tomorrow :)

@cara I completely agree, the online programme for my university has changed my life! I'm glad you have that option, it makes such a big difference.

Yep, managed to get a B in that course. Though some "unorthodox methods", as there was really no other way. My doctor didn't find a use for calc until this year, and he's about 55. 

@KyloRen be sure to post pics of you in your wig (if you want)! It bet it looks great. I'm glad you enjoyed the con. Your classes this semester sound fucking awesome. Cell biology is so fun and I would love to take an ethics course. And congratulations on passing your lab. I hope things with your roommate get better.

@DonValentino Duuuuude, congrats! I had no idea this was your last semester. Your classes sound cool too. And damn, you're so involved in campus life. I'm like ain't nobody got time for that lmao. Good luck retaking Spanish this summer. I'm looking forward to a cap/gown pic of you man. 

@graciea Congratulations! Oral exams are rough, but if you mentally remind yourself to breathe, and focus on relaxing your muscles, it can definitely help with that pre-test anxiety. What is a provincial English exam? I've never heard of that before.

@Trapezeo Have you applied to an MBA program? If not, you should! Just get the ball rolling. Just because you apply doesn't mean you necessarily have to go, but if you take those baby steps, you might feel ready to commit to something. 

@cara Online classes are so dope. I've been taking them since I became officially disabled. It makes life soooooo much easier for me. I have only worked for a few semesters of my degree but being disabled and having surgeries and shit is pretty full-time. I can imagine it's as much as relief for you, because of your work schedule, as it is for me because of my health. Last term I took 4 online and 1 campus class. This term I'm taking 4 online and 1 campus class again. I'm also working this semester as a TA. So, that's gonna be interesting. I hope your classes go well!

@Swim try not to pressure yourself over things not done, and just study when you can now. Good luck on your exams though! Let us know how it goes. 

@JinxProof That's fucking awesome. LIS is so cool. It's not really about the money, but instead about the programs, community and outreach that a library offers. My cousin is a librarian and she is so passionate about her job. Libraries are like...sanctuaries to me. They are so so sooooo important. And just think, you're the next generation that gets to carry the legacy on. I always think of librarians as like therapists lmao. They are always there for people!

@Ladida What is your dissertation on if you don't mind me asking? I'm just nosy lol. I like hearing about this stuff.

When I come home this weekend, I can actually put on the whole outfit and take a picture of it for you. As for the roommate, if she ever wants the room for a full night, my answer is no for mental health reasons. If she continues to argue about it, I'm getting the CA. 

#22 Trapezeo

Trapezeo
  • 746 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:49 AM

I've thought about to applying to Southern New Hampshire University for their MBA program. The problem is that it's all online or all in person. The campus is 80 miles away and I think I learn better in person where I can ask questions. I'm taking a self study economics class and it's killing me. I'm having a hard time to grasp some concepts without a teacher.

#23 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:57 AM

Online classes are dope AF. Hopefully you can get through this semester quickly and not have to take another campus class ever again .. I can't imagine being disabled and being forced to take campus classes. Kudos to you for pushing through this course. I know that even one campus class must be difficult. I hope your classes go well, too.   ^_^

You had me at pretty paycheck and easy as fuck.

#24 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

I'm so not ready. At all. But only because I still have quite a few shows to catch up and games to beat. But I'm excited for this year! The first semester will be the end of the basic cycle, which means that on the second semester of the year we really start learning about all the diseases, and drugs, and all that cool shit. I mean, basic cycle is fun, but it's mostly about how the body works when there's nothing wrong. Basically the "normal".

I'm also working on a project, and this year we put it into practice! We have to do one every four semesters and we can publish it after it's done. My theme is parasitology, and we're gonna get a bunch of poop from a community and run some tests LOL I was super excited for it, even though most people find that very disgusting.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#25 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:33 PM

I'm not crying over debt, but I'm crying over the fact that my university has no soul. 

I got a call back from Pitt. Apparently my mental issues will not get me off the housing waitlist. Wonderful. If someone dies because of that, they're going to get sued out the ass. It's like they don't even care that living at home could kill me. All I keep hearing is, "get on the waitlist early and you'll be fine". That's not very supportive. Even just hearing that I couldn't get help for my housing has actually made me want to cry. "Oh you could die? Oh well. Just give us the tuition money and then die." "Living at home will cause emotional and mental abuse? Fuck that, give us the money".

I'm also on the verge of throwing things at the walls and screaming. I don't give a shit about anyone else in the dorm, I'm full of rage right now. I was excited to transfer to our main campus, now I'm starting to dread it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users