#1 Pink_Bubble

Pink_Bubble
  • 340 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:04 AM

Search Results
Your search for the term marxism returned 0 results

Your search for the term communism returned 0 results

It occurred to me after writing some things here that the ideology, traditions, memories, history and relevance today of Marxism-Leninism may be unknown to some here. Which is fine, every journey begins with a single step. I'm humbled to admit I only discovered communism during the DNC primaries.

One fun product of the study of Marxism-Leninism, as an emancipatory anti-colonial ideology is that nearly all of the literature is freely available, as its authors often don't believe in intellectual property and copyright. That or don't seem very keen on enforcing it, with the exception of some like Radical Publishers.

So, I'm trying to gauge if anybody here might be interested in starting a reading circle around democratically selected ML works? It doesn't have to be the classics like the Manifesto or "Imperialism, The Highest Stage of Capitalism", it can be more contemporary and lighter works, and perhaps build our way up. We can narrow it down by category (history, philosophy, anthropology, economy) or vote on a wide selection of communally proposed books which are freely available in HTML or PDF form.

I find reading circles to be very constructive, especially for non-fiction works. Often somebody will contribute a point, analogy or present-day example of an idea in the reading which provides a great reinforcing effect and greater comprehension of the reading material.

I have lots of books in mind, and if others do too, contributions would be nice. If I can garner the interest of at least three other people for the first book (so it's not a long-term commitment), then maybe we can get something started and decide together on a book and pace at which we'll be reading.

Comment below if you might be interested.

Edited by Pink_Bubble, 22 February 2017 - 02:19 AM.

#2 bwoke

bwoke
  • 131 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:53 PM

Why not?

#3 Pink_Bubble

Pink_Bubble
  • 340 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:41 PM

Why not?

<3
Need two more! Anybody?

#4 Pink_Bubble

Pink_Bubble
  • 340 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:26 AM

Well, so far it's just me and you @ohml. Would you still be interested if that's the case?

I was thinking if we can get this going by selecting an appealing text, the materialization and open-format of this reading circle may inspire more people to join us once they see the wheels turning.

I'm open for others to reply, in case this went unnoticed. General question to all: why are or aren't you interested, and hypothetically (even if you're not going to participate) what type of topics are of interest to you to be read and discussed?

I'll propose some short works in the next couple of days, in the hope that others do so before me :3

Edited by Pink_Bubble, 28 February 2017 - 01:26 AM.

#5 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:35 AM

i'm open for others to reply, in case this went unnoticed. General question to all: why are or aren't you interested, and hypothetically (even if you're not going to participate) what type of topics are of interest to you to be read and discussed?

I'll propose some short works in the next couple of days, in the hope that others do so before me :3

I just don't have time or energy to commit to something like this. This is a topic I'm interested in and one of my new year's resolutions was to read more non-fiction, so chances are pretty good that once you post the reading material or w/e, I'll read it and might post, but I can't commit to that prior because then I know it won't happen. 

#6 bwoke

bwoke
  • 131 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:12 PM

Yeah I don't mind if it's just us. To answer your question, politics in general are quite appealing to me and it seems that it is more important than ever to just know what is going on in the world and how it is set up. I have never read any sort of book that was about economics or politics (if you don't count animal farm lol) I just read and watch the news. It would be interesting and hopefully broaden my horizons to learn something from a different median

#7 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:38 PM

I'm interested, but can't guarantee a time commitment, final semester and all that. Cool idea!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users