Quantcast

Photo

Anyone any good with identifying plants?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:42 PM

Okay, so I'm bad with plants. I told someone that I suck at taking care of plants, and the next time he came over, he gave me a pot with narcissi and grape hyacinths as a gift. They're dead now. I swear I didn't do it on purpose, I just really suck at taking care of plants.

Anyway, amongst the dead leaves, new leaves have sprouted and they don't match the leaves of the narcissus or the grape hyacinth. Do any of you know what possibly habitats this pot? There's two individual stems sprouting on oppposite sides of the pot.

Pics in spoiler:

Spoiler

#2 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

Cannabis Maximus

#3 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

Cannabis Maximus

Considering I live in the Netherlands, it's not actually entirely impossible, but the leaves seem too round and irregular for that... they look a lot different from the plants a roommate used to have. Plus, there's usually 5 leaves on each stem and one of these have only 4.

#4 WarezHaxor

WarezHaxor
  • 668 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

I mean, definitely possible. You're correct on what they usually look like, but if this was a mutant phenotype the leaves looking like that isnt entirely unheard of. However, it would be surprising that it grew like that, especially when the first pic looks like there isn't any growing tip in between that set of nodes, and the base stem also doesn't look proper in color either.

I'm not sure about a definite identification, it very well could be a weed from outside that had seeds land in your pot from the wind, or it could have been something that was in the soil already. Doesn't look like any flower I've seen, including cannabis haha.

#5 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:05 AM

I mean, definitely possible. You're correct on what they usually look like, but if this was a mutant phenotype the leaves looking like that isnt entirely unheard of. However, it would be surprising that it grew like that, especially when the first pic looks like there isn't any growing tip in between that set of nodes, and the base stem also doesn't look proper in color either.

I'm not sure about a definite identification, it very well could be a weed from outside that had seeds land in your pot from the wind, or it could have been something that was in the soil already. Doesn't look like any flower I've seen, including cannabis haha.

There is actually a tip growing between the nodes, it's hidden on the picture between my fingers. The other stem not photographed already has a new set of leaves sprouting from it.

I'll just assume it's a regular weed growing. Hoped it to be some exciting flower </3 I'll be laughing my ass off if it turns out to be actual cannabis. I'll let it grow a little while longer, if anything exciting happens I'll post lol

#6 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:41 PM

It looks like weed that wasn't grown properly.

#7 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:41 PM

This is 100% not a grape hyacinth lol. If you want, I can post the pic in a plant ID group I'm in to get an accurate ID.

#8 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:32 PM

This is 100% not a grape hyacinth lol. If you want, I can post the pic in a plant ID group I'm in to get an accurate ID.

If you do that post results

#9 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:57 AM

Please do! I'm really curious :D

#10 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:58 AM

Please do! I'm really curious :D

I'll ask now. Looking at it though, I'm like 75% sure it's marijuana.

#11 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

I'll ask now. Looking at it though, I'm like 75% sure it's marijuana.

I'll be laughing so hard. I got the pot from a friend, he repotted the narcissus and grape hyacinth, which means either he accidentally left marijuana seeds or the marijuana is his actual, secret gift lol. There's no way the seeds could've blown in from my slanted wintow. I mean, it's technically possible, but highly improbable.

(For those unfamiliar with Dutch law that get stressed out, don't worry, it's perfectly legal to own up to three stalks here so I won't be in any trouble)

#12 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

It's legal where I live too, and I've seen a LOT of plants. It looks a lot like some of the ones that didn't grow in the 'perfect' conditions. 

#13 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:14 PM

@Cass the consensus it to either dig it up or let it grow before making a final ID. If it's a local volunteer, it's most likely sp. Aesculus (related to horse chestnut, if you're following along in the US). It'll grow up and be a tree if it is or if you decide to dig it up, it'll be a reasonable sized seed, like almost bouncy-ball size and not a tiny weed seed.

#14 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:32 PM

@Cass the consensus it to either dig it up or let it grow before making a final ID. If it's a local volunteer, it's most likely sp. Aesculus (related to horse chestnut, if you're following along in the US). It'll grow up and be a tree if it is or if you decide to dig it up, it'll be a reasonable sized seed, like almost bouncy-ball size and not a tiny weed seed.

Aahh this is it!! I dug them up and they were indeed chestnuts. I removed them immediately because a) trees are problematic to keep in a dorm and b) the nuts weren't very healthy looking. They were pitchblack and looked like they were rotting (I don't know anything about plants which might be apparent from this topic, but it does seem strange that healthy looking leaves sprout from a rotting nut). So I thought it'd best to just get rid of them.

It also makes the seeds-flying-in-scenario a lot more likely; there was a tree (I never checked if it was a chestnut) directly above my window and I'd regularly have old leaves flying in. They removed the tree just a couple of days ago.

#15 WarezHaxor

WarezHaxor
  • 668 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:49 PM

Knew it wasn't weed hahaha. I have friends that breed over in the Netherlands and grow it by the thousands, and I grew plenty of it in my younger days to say so. Glad you got the identification you were looking for!

#16 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

Aahh this is it!! I dug them up and they were indeed chestnuts. I removed them immediately because a) trees are problematic to keep in a dorm and b) the nuts weren't very healthy looking. They were pitchblack and looked like they were rotting (I don't know anything about plants which might be apparent from this topic, but it does seem strange that healthy looking leaves sprout from a rotting nut). So I thought it'd best to just get rid of them.

It also makes the seeds-flying-in-scenario a lot more likely; there was a tree (I never checked if it was a chestnut) directly above my window and I'd regularly have old leaves flying in. They removed the tree just a couple of days ago.

They turn colors and rot to provide nutrients to the young growing seedling! It was doing it right, but yeah, probably shouldn't grow a tree inside lol

#17 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:42 PM

probably shouldn't grow a tree inside lol

Funnily enough one of the most interesting things to see in Amsterdam is the house which is actually built around a fully grown, live tree. ;)

WSkRijy.jpg

(When I say interesting I mean interesting to me, some people may think what I find interesting is a bit odd)

#18 mrfloyd

mrfloyd
  • 28 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:05 PM

Funnily enough one of the most interesting things to see in Amsterdam is the house which is actually built around a fully grown, live tree. ;)

WSkRijy.jpg

(When I say interesting I mean interesting to me, some people may think what I find interesting is a bit odd)

I think it's cute. I'd live there

#19 WarezHaxor

WarezHaxor
  • 668 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

If people thought a house built around a river was cool, why wouldn't one built around a tree @waser lava? I'd love a house built around a tree...especially in the Netherlands.

#20 Trapezeo

Trapezeo
  • 746 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:21 PM

WSkRijy.jpg

That is pretty cool! I guess I'll need to visit Amsterdam and see this house!

#21 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

WSkRijy.jpg

That's actually amazing! Never saw that house.

#22 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:57 AM

I LOVE this. When I said 'inside', I was thinking one of those stereotypical European closets lol

#23 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

I LOVE this. When I said 'inside', I was thinking one of those stereotypical European closets lol

Not sure what you mean by European closets? In Britain just about every house has a traditional shrubbery pantry where we grow plants like herbs, small vegetables and such things and is also where we tend to keep small pets like hamsters, rabbits and haggises but I don't know what they do in the rest of Europe.

That's actually amazing! Never saw that house.

The entire street is actually pretty interesting, all of the houses are unique and designed by different architects. Worth a wander over there if you're interested in architecture.

#24 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:18 AM

WSkRijy.jpg

It's nice to see you out for your morning jog Waser :p

#25 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:44 AM

It's nice to see you out for your morning jog Waser :p

I have furrier legs and head. I also can't get away with lycra, some regions are just not made for compaction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users