Quantcast

Photo

If you weren't already set on your life's path, what else would you be?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:41 PM

I'm just curious.

If you weren't years into investing in a certain lifestyle (like motherhood, military, secret agent, etc.) or profession either by being in school for it or practicing, what other life path would you be pursuing at the moment? 

I ask this because I've reached a point where I've done so much already and wonder about the what-if's in my life. Not that I regret where I am right now, but it may be cathartic to fantasize a different life that would have been.

If I wasn't already in the thing I was already doing, I would have been a writer for television. I idolize and fear Tina Fey and her comedic genius (and to a smaller extend, Amy Poehler) and wondered how fun it would be to be a writer in that industry in terms of being gratified and proud that what you have created has an audience and makes other people's lives better. Not to mention the different life I would be living like living from paycheck to paycheck while struggling to find the next gig. I understand that that vision is a big leap from where I am right now, but if I spent all my time building that dream, I may have ended up somewhere higher and in a place where I would have never dreamed of. I started thinking about this because my colleague forwarded me information about the Sesame Street Writer's Room fellowship and although it doesn't fit my schedule, I can't help but think: what if? 

What would you be now if you didn't already choose your life's path?

#2 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:06 PM

Host of Jeopardy!

If there was money in Astronomy, I'd consider it. I love learning about the universe.

#3 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:12 PM

Honestly, I fantasize about being irresponsible. I fantasize about working less and not being in school. I fantasize about working a low paying part-time job in a coffee shop barely being able to make ends meet but in exchange working less and enjoying life more. I fantasize about not saving all my money but spending it on nonsense like many people my age. But alas, I chose to work too much and study law to ensure I work too much for the rest of my life.

#4 InsertUsername

InsertUsername
  • 107 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:32 PM

I... I am in a quantic state on this subject. There is so much I want to do, but so little time. Not even 15 credit in chemistry that I'll change to Informatic (which is kinda what I want, since I want to go into the informatic/simulation side of chemistry), but I also want to do cook (Chemistry Cooking ftw), jeweler, geologist, book writer, music producer... Even law seems interesting.

#5 arcanum

arcanum
  • 1748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

There is a girl in my area that runs one of the very first (and most popular) foodie instagrams, she gets paid to eat at all these places all over the world and post about them. A travel/foodie type blog would definitely be something I wish I could hit restart on my life and go for. If I had been able to get into it early and build, that would've been doooope.

Besides what I currently do, that is for sure my like *dream job*.

#6 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:23 PM

I would totally be in a band, quite possibly the lead singer or the drummer. In highschool I'd fall asleep in Algebra II class and dream about being Howard Jones from Killswitch Engage. My parents never let me have a musical instrument when I was younger, otherwise I would probably be jamming out instead of watching people play video games on Twitch.

#7 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

If I hadn't been set on the path I was today, I probably see myself animating for video games or a small animation company. As much as I would've loved to animate for big companies, I don't see myself doing that at this very point.

If not that, I probably would've taken my father's advice to become a pharmacy technician. I've always had a thing for science.

#8 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

Engineering. Math was my favorite subject in school, but I went with medicine because I like people more. Sometimes I imagine how/where I would be if I had chosen that instead of what I'm doing right now.

#9 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:44 PM

Working for Bethesda or Bioware.

But I guess maybe that's possible with my current path, who knows?

That'd be my dream though. 

#10 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

Honestly, I fantasize about being irresponsible. I fantasize about working less and not being in school. I fantasize about working a low paying part-time job in a coffee shop barely being able to make ends meet but in exchange working less and enjoying life more. I fantasize about not saving all my money but spending it on nonsense like many people my age. But alas, I chose to work too much and study law to ensure I work too much for the rest of my life.

I guess I'd be the opposite of this. I would've went further into my degree, not had kids (more realistically, just stopped at one), and have a lot of money to spend on what little time off I had. 

I enjoy the shit out of my poverty-stricken, kid-ridden life, but I do wonder sometimes how it'd be different if I went on the path I started instead of this one.

#11 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

I guess I'd be the opposite of this. I would've went further into my degree, not had kids (more realistically, just stopped at one), and have a lot of money to spend on what little time off I had.

I enjoy the shit out of my poverty-stricken, kid-ridden life, but I do wonder sometimes how it'd be different if I went on the path I started instead of this one.

Interesting ...... let's swap lives for a month to see if we've made the right choices. :p

#12 Kakashi

Kakashi
  • 71 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:48 PM

Well i am currently following 3 different paths in life simultaneously: get a degree in forestry / wildlife conservation and work in that field, get the degree and teach english overseas (because any bachelors degree is required in some countries), or get a job as a flight attendant which is based on luck. So basically whichever one works out first is the goal, but my dream used to be to go into aerospace engineering or astrophysics. I am so fascinated by the idea of working on technology to push our boundaries of space travel and our understanding of it. But i am not disciplined enough for that :/ I would never make it. 

#13 Shiemi

Shiemi
  • 131 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

Well for college I'm pretty set on majoring in physics or maybe astrophysics, because I love the subject buut

I honestly love business too, and it'd be pretty cool to start some type of business and have it take off xD It's extremely risky though, so I'm pretty satisfied with the path im going down

#14 wikkles

wikkles
  • 556 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:51 AM

Peace corps! Or Teach for America!

Either would give some excellent life experience I'm sure - I just don't see how they fit into my plan at the moment.

#15 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:58 AM

Interesting ...... let's swap lives for a month to see if we've made the right choices. :p

Let's wait til the twins start teething.

#16 Gnome

Gnome
  • Alpha As Fuck

• 1054 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:50 PM

Probably dead. Definitely got my life more together more now than ever. Make great money and don't have stress

#17 gyro

gyro
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

if i studied maths better, i would've liked to go into astronomy

in general if i had been more studious with my sciences, there are many topics i'm interested in now that i would like to study/go into as a career but can no longer do (or at least without putting more hours than it's worth into it).

and maybe i could've been an art/animation student at some point too. that would've been Cool

#18 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:01 PM

I would be an actress! Yup! That was my dream! I just didn't fight hard enough for it! But criminal investigator is a tight second!!!!

#19 graciea

graciea
  • 105 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:50 PM

I'm currently set as a Creative Writing major and am freelancing art; hoping to maybe be like a novel cover designer or a children's book writer. Just wanna do creative things for the rest of my life, honestly. 

Though if I wasn't set in that, I'd honestly love to be a professional musician! I remember loving the violin when I was younger, and I do really regret giving it up. It would've been so cool to play in like an orchestra...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users