Photo

Anyone use the Opera VPN?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 neonerd22

neonerd22
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with the free VPN that Opera offers with its browser. I've been playing around with it and testing it on and off using whatsmyIP.org and the lagado proxy test, and it seems to hold up well... then again I'm not the most tech savvy person, so who knows. But I think it's nice. I do have a paid for proxy service, but honestly the Opera VPN seems to work just fine on its own?

So... anyone have any experience with it?

#2 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

I wasn't even aware it had one. I might have to try this out myself 

#3 Artleyz

Artleyz
  • 294 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:28 PM

@neonerd22 @Amethyst

I use one for all of my bots (not Neopets). It works great, but it randomly assigns you an IP from the location specified. So if you set US, you're going to get a random one out of the few they have near your area. That's why I set some of mine to Canada, but there are a few that are quite a bit more laggy than the others. Multiple instances of Opera can be used to have more IPs.

#4 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

@neonerd22 @Amethyst

I use one for all of my bots (not Neopets). It works great, but it randomly assigns you an IP from the location specified. So if you set US, you're going to get a random one out of the few they have near your area. That's why I set some of mine to Canada, but there are a few that are quite a bit more laggy than the others. Multiple instances of Opera can be used to have more IPs.

Have your real IP accounts stayed safe with it?

#5 Artleyz

Artleyz
  • 294 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:00 PM

Have your real IP accounts stayed safe with it?

It has, but I haven't had the bots running long enough to know for sure... yet. I'm waiting until the next FR registration date to try it out fully.

#6 GetJinxed

GetJinxed
  • Reckless Cheater

• 1423 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:04 PM

Your real IP is hidden when using a VPN unless it is leaking WebRTC. Not sure if it's the case but you can google how to test for those. I'd say it's perfectly safe though

#7 Artleyz

Artleyz
  • 294 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:26 PM

Your real IP is hidden when using a VPN unless it is leaking WebRTC. Not sure if it's the case but you can google how to test for those. I'd say it's perfectly safe though

Yeah, it hides IP properly. When it was first released, Opera had a problem with the encryption where it was partially revealing the IP. They have since fixed that issue (quite a while ago), so all should be good now.

However, there's still a chance of being detected, even without interacting with accounts, if you use instances of Opera like I'm doing. I guess spoofing the User Agent would be a good start to covering your tracks even more.

#8 neonerd22

neonerd22
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:39 PM

@neonerd22 @Amethyst

Glad to hear you've had a good experience with it. That's one of the reasons I like it, because it's easy to have multiple IPs on one computer without jumping through hoops. But yeah, there really is a limited selection of IPs. Either way, I'm definitely reading up on this User Agent stuff.

I wasn't even aware it had one. I might have to try this out myself 

Yup! I've been meaning to post about it here at NC but assumed that everyone might have already heard of it and I didn't want to make a fool of myself, but there weren't any past topics on it, so I figured I'd just toss it out there. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but with Neopets' leniency towards multiple IP loggins for accounts, I would think Opera's built-in VPN service is a safe bet since a LOT of people use Opera and utilize the service since it's just a quick click of a button, so the IPs are probably familiar to Neopets. Of course, that doesn't mean not to be extra careful when interacting between accounts, because that could just as well be a red flag. But if done right... *shrug*

Edited by neonerd22, 28 March 2017 - 04:40 PM.

#9 jaredyne

jaredyne
  • 1115 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:59 PM

Interesting, I want to check that out. I used to use Epic Privacy Browser but it's a little... bad. So if Opera can hold up that would be handy.

#10 neonerd22

neonerd22
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

Interesting, I want to check that out. I used to use Epic Privacy Browser but it's a little... bad. So if Opera can hold up that would be handy.

It's definitely worth looking into. My only concern is that I'm not sure whether or not Abrosia goes through it, or through your normal IP since the Opera VPN is browser based. Not sure if there's a way to check, either, so I don't use the program unless I'm using my paid for universal VPN :/

#11 GetJinxed

GetJinxed
  • Reckless Cheater

• 1423 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

Abrosia doesn't go through it since it's a built in VPN on Opera. Only works for that browser and it's not a system VPN. If you want a decent VPN go to this giveaway page : https://www.okayfree...als/chip0617/of you'll receive in your email a code to use it for 1 year. Has a decent number of servers too.

#12 NJimenez9091

NJimenez9091
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:18 AM

Why don't you just reset your router?

#13 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:46 AM

Why don't you just reset your router?

Not everyone has a Dynamically set IP address, so even resetting a router may not help 'mask' their IP. Even if they did have a Dynamic IP, it would not stop someone from linking their accounts eventually. The best way to get around IP related issues is to use a proxy/VPN.

#14 Froggo

Froggo
  • 108 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:50 AM

I use it on my phone because they have an app, and it's pretty ok.

It sometimes stops working for no reason though, and I have to disconnect and reconnect.

I don't like the Opera browser so idk anything about the one built into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users