Quantcast

What's your biggest cooking failure?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

Make me feel better about microwaving a TV dinner for 20 minutes instead of 2 and catching my microwave on fire by relishing your fails. 

#2 catarsistart

catarsistart
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:44 PM

Once I used the toaster and somehow set it on fire, my toast was also on fire.

#3 BirdistheWord

BirdistheWord
  • 204 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:45 PM

I just made an awful avocado and lime no-cheesecake ....stupid cake was supposed to be delicious. It's amazing that  it turned out like dog barf even though I put like ten lbs of sugar into it.

#4 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:54 PM

I just made an awful avocado and lime no-cheesecake ....stupid cake was supposed to be delicious. It's amazing that  it turned out like dog barf even though I put like ten lbs of sugar into it.

Well yeah you used avocado 

#5 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:29 PM

I tried making home made mac n cheese utilizing a roux. I poured the milk in the pan with the roux, and could never get the roux to dissolve correctly, so the sauce was always clumpy as all hell. By the way, I've tried to do this 3 times now and the result is the same. I feel really fucking dumb.

#6 wikkles

wikkles
  • 556 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:27 PM

I, too, set toast on fire. I used bread that was far too oily. Smoke billowing from the toaster oven was one of the scarier things I've experienced.

Also the first time I tried to make tofu... blech. Luckily I've gotten much better since then.

#7 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:41 PM

I've burned spaghetti, and completely cremated cookies before. My fear of cooking failure drives me to cook very cautiously... needless to say, i don't cook very much, and seldom try new dishes. :p

#8 zex

zex
  • 224 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:55 AM

Has anyone not almost burned their house down when cooking? I think that's like a rite of passage at this point.

BTW, bacon smokes so much. Just turn the fire alarms off. :D

#9 Salade

Salade
  • 551 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:20 AM

I set my tea on fire. 

#10 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:44 AM

I put water instead of milk in my kraft dinner .............

#11 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:41 AM

I was cooking bacon with my friend. Long story short she got a 2nd degree burn on her hand. I slept in an uncomfortable chair next to her bed for a few days because they had to transfer us 4 hours away to a burn unit in Georgia so she could get a cadaver skin graft. So... good times. 

#12 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

I tried making home made mac n cheese utilizing a roux. I poured the milk in the pan with the roux, and could never get the roux to dissolve correctly, so the sauce was always clumpy as all hell. By the way, I've tried to do this 3 times now and the result is the same. I feel really fucking dumb.

If I had to guess, I'd say either your milk is too cold or you're pouring it too fast.

When I get stressed out, I forget to add water to recipes. If anyone was curious, overly microwaved, burnt, dry pasta ruins your bowls and makes your microwave smell like crap.

#13 arcanum

arcanum
  • 1748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:06 PM

I tried cooking steak for the first time ever awhile back, and the house was full of smoke. :D It actually didn't taste bad but the inside was a little more rare than I like it. >.>

#14 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:44 AM

I'm a pretty good cook, but I've had my moments.

One time I burnt water... I started a pot of boiling water because I was going to make pasta, then I guess I fell asleep and woke up to the pot black and my kitchen filled with smoke. This was like 8 years ago

Second time, only a few months ago lol, I was baking chicken and I don't know what happened but the sauce and chicken burned and the glass pan was black, I pulled it out of the oven and set it on the counter and it shattered.

#15 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

I'm a pretty good cook, but I've had my moments.

One time I burnt water... I started a pot of boiling water because I was going to make pasta, then I guess I fell asleep and woke up to the pot black and my kitchen filled with smoke. This was like 8 years ago

Second time, only a few months ago lol, I was baking chicken and I don't know what happened but the sauce and chicken burned and the glass pan was black, I pulled it out of the oven and set it on the counter and it shattered.

That reminds me of when I learned the hard way, why not to have plastic wrap over food to cover it in the microwave... I don't know what happened like if the heat trapped too much, but the plate broke from the center, formed a perfect circle before it shattered. I was just left with the rim of the plate in my hand, and shards of glass in my foot. 

Then I cried because my pork was on the floor. 

#16 Cnourinha

Cnourinha
  • 179 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:30 PM

I set my tea on fire. 

Whaaat really? Is that even possible? hahahaha

I'm a terrible cook... Once I baked a cake, but in the end it had blocks of hardened flour  in the middle... It turned into a brick. 

#17 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:38 AM

Put my pizza in the oven without realising how powerful the oven was. Turned into a blackened frisbee in five minutes and I had no other food. 

#18 11pigeons

11pigeons
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:09 AM

I burned through the bottom of a few nonstick cooking pans by turning the heat on too high

#19 240vac

240vac
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:10 AM

My biggest fail would be the time I put an hot pocket in the microwave without the sleeve for 30 minutes. I at one point accidentally put ramen noodles in the microwave and forgot to add water. The house was full of smoke and I had to run around like an chicken with it's head cut off to open all the d00rs and windows.  It smelt like burnt ramen noodles for almost two weeks. I tried all the home methods to remove the smell in the end it smelt like cinnamon and burnt noodles. 

#20 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:19 AM

I burned through the bottom of a few nonstick cooking pans by turning the heat on too high

Ouch. I too have done this

My biggest fail would be the time I put an hot pocket in the microwave without the sleeve for 30 minutes. I at one point accidentally put ramen noodles in the microwave and forgot to add water. The house was full of smoke and I had to run around like an chicken with it's head cut off to open all the d00rs and windows.  It smelt like burnt ramen noodles for almost two weeks. I tried all the home methods to remove the smell in the end it smelt like cinnamon and burnt noodles. 

Omg

#21 Shiemi

Shiemi
  • 131 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

ahh I think my mac and cheese was on fire... 

I left it in the microwave for 30 min instead of 3 and I never heard the beep so I forgot about it

when I smelled the smoke, i ran and saw half the plastic was melted off it

#22 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:38 PM

That time @Dan and I made sauages in the oven on the grill setting and didn't open the oven door for the smoke to vent.. yeah.. that was bad lmao we almost set the apartment on fire. Also there were burnt bits of sausage on the grill, so for a few months every time we cooked it smelled like sausages LOL

Oh I also recently got into some healthier cooking and baking and tried to make some flaxseed muffins and didn't add enough sweeter.. omg they tasted awful, like plain fiber/oatmeal and the texture was so gritty.. getting ill just thinking about that one. They were promptly thrown in the bin lmao

That reminds me of when I learned the hard way, why not to have plastic wrap over food to cover it in the microwave... I don't know what happened like if the heat trapped too much, but the plate broke from the center, formed a perfect circle before it shattered. I was just left with the rim of the plate in my hand, and shards of glass in my foot. 

Then I cried because my pork was on the floor. 

If you poke a hole in it it shouldn't explode! Most of the time. Haha

#23 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:10 PM

I've burned bacon before. Such a tragedy. 

#24 Trapezeo

Trapezeo
  • 746 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

I put some really frozen ice cream into the microwave for a few seconds to soften it a little bit. Turns out I accidentally hit the Add Minute button and ruined my entire container of ice cream.

I'm not much of a cook so my boyfriend cooks everything because he's great at it. 

#25 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:09 PM

I put some really frozen ice cream into the microwave for a few seconds to soften it a little bit. Turns out I accidentally hit the Add Minute button and ruined my entire container of ice cream.

I'm not much of a cook so my boyfriend cooks everything because he's great at it. 

At least you didn't leave the spoon in eh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users