• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:49 PM

Reddit Post

This whole fiasco has ended, and as I was making my rounds racking up cash, I realized I should've posted here so you guys could be aware, in the event you hadn't seen it elsewhere. Basically GameStop had a crazy trade in special going on and if you took in at least 6 games, they would give you a 70% bonus on the value (60% for now Power Up members). Some games that cost about $20 new were being credited $48 for as trade ins. Chaos ensued and many folks, including myself albeit not to the same extremes, were able to capitalize.

Were any of you all aware of this? If so, did you make out with a nice haul? I haven't bought games in a long time, especially from GameStop, but when I caught wind of what was going on, I decided to join in. At the very least, any games I want in the future are paid for, or if a console comes out that I like, I have a bunch of store credit and can get it no problem. I have linked the Reddit thread if you want an overview of what happened/timeline of events. I spent around $500 and turned it into around $1200 in credit, which at this rate is probably enough to support my gaming for the rest of my life, and at worst, I can sell the gift card on a resale site, which is what I'll likely end up doing. 

#2 Cannabis

Cannabis
  • yungamerican

• 970 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

I'm so jealous damn sad I missed this

#3 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:32 PM

That seems pretty crazy, I mean are they actually going to honor all that store credit? Geez, surely they've lost a lot of money over this. ..I'm just imagining Gamestop going out of business while people have hundreds and thousands of dollars of store credit lmao

#4 Cannabis

Cannabis
  • yungamerican

• 970 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:35 PM

That seems pretty crazy, I mean are they actually going to honor all that store credit? Geez, surely they've lost a lot of money over this. ..I'm just imagining Gamestop going out of business while people have hundreds and thousands of dollars of store credit lmao

I doubt they will go out of business they knew they could handle at least giving out more money than they usually do but didn't plan on people abusing the system. But shit this is America in 2017 they should've known better. I feel like if they don't honor the store credit that would result in law suits but I'm not a lawyer haha

#5 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

I doubt they will go out of business they knew they could handle at least giving out more money than they usually do but didn't plan on people abusing the system. But shit this is America in 2017 they should've known better. I feel like if they don't honor the store credit that would result in law suits but I'm not a lawyer haha

Yeah I agree, just saying that would be hilarious. I think maybe it was just a really poor decision for them in hindsight? If someone can go to Best Buy and buy a game for $20 then go to the GS down the road and trade it in for $40 or more.. like how do they not think people would take advantage of that lol. Especially if you can possibly trade that credit in for items to sell or amazon credit as I've seen some people do.

Edited by Kat, 04 July 2017 - 02:41 PM.

#6 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:44 PM

I'm PISSED I missed this. I have hundreds of dollars worth of games to sell

#7 Cannabis

Cannabis
  • yungamerican

• 970 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

Yeah I agree, just saying that would be hilarious. I think maybe it was just a really poor decision for them in hindsight? If someone can go to Best Buy and buy a game for $20 then go to the GS down the road and trade it in for $40 or more.. like how do they not think people would take advantage of that lol. Especially if you can possibly trade that credit in for items to sell or amazon credit as I've seen some people do.

Yeah that is crazy lol they definitely were not thinking or didn't realize that was a possibility. Still a little sad I missed out on this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users