• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#101 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:54 AM

Neocodex is what convinced me non-sexual spanking was wrong. Thank you @Sweeney and @Nymh

Of course. Happy to discuss with anyone who is open to it.

I dunno, I was spanked and turned out just fine! There's a way to do it that won't cause psychological damage. My dad was pretty good at letting me know why I was getting spanked and gave me lots of love after as well as what to do in the future to not get spanked again for the same thing! I will always be a proponent of spanking and yes I have read the research since it is a huge topic in psychology and I am a psychology major. We had a chapter about it in all of my child, infant, and adolescent psychology classes. Nothing is going to change my mind. My dad never abused me.

Many people mistake the words "functional" and "fine."

#102 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:55 AM

If you want to read: lol

Spoiler

For reals, you think the only way to instil respect and manners is through inflicting pain?

#103 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Psychology is science. :| I have a bachelors of SCIENCE in psychology.

Yes I agree, psychology is science. I never said it wasn't. I didn't take psychology to be a scientist. I don't want to do research. I don't want to do counseling. I want to work with prisoners. Or those people who murder others. I needed psychology to get into this field. I claim Criminal Justice as my main major as I am a double major. I only needed psychology to learn about all the mental diseases and to learn how to read people. All of my research projects that I had to do for psychology were all on prisoners or murderers. But, as I want to work directly with crime scenes as far as analyzing them, I would consider myself an analyst or investigator, not  scientist!

#104 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Of course. Happy to discuss with anyone who is open to it.

Many people mistake the words "functional" and "fine."

This. I wish I could rep it more than once.

#105 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:56 AM

We may need to take this to a new thread :p

#106 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:56 AM

Yes I agree, psychology is science. I never said it wasn't. I didn't take psychology to be a scientist. I don't want to do research. I don't want to do counseling. I want to work with prisoners. Or those people who murder others. I needed psychology to get into this field. I claim Criminal Justice as my main major as I am a double major. I only needed psychology to learn about all the mental diseases and to learn how to read people. All of my research projects that I had to do for psychology were all on prisoners or murderers. But, as I want to work directly with crime scenes as far as analyzing them, I would consider myself an analyst or investigator, not  scientist!

I thought forensic psychology died when people realised it wasn't reliable.

#107 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:57 AM

This. I wish I could rep it more than once.

Don't worry, I got you.

#108 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:58 AM

Children aren't any worse than they were 25-50 years ago. Children are just more visible. There's so much wrong with this entire justification for spanking. The world isn't going to hell. Things are better in large for a lot of people than they were before.

My dad hit me with a belt until I was black and blue for being autistic and stimming. I didn't turn out okay. But yeah, spanking is totally fine. smh.

My mom would hit me with hands, or buy things just for that. I'd get hit more for trying to avoid that punishment. She'd even laugh and show off her 'equipment' like it was some sort of game. And yeah, being autistic too didn't really help in that department. 

But you know, it was TOTALLY OKAY AND TAUGHT ME A LESSON RIGHT?

#109 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:59 AM

My mom would hit me with hands, or buy things just for that. I'd get hit more for trying to avoid that punishment. She'd even laugh and show off her 'equipment' like it was some sort of game. And yeah, being autistic too didn't really help in that department. 

But you know, it was TOTALLY OKAY AND TAUGHT ME A LESSON RIGHT?

Her hands? Or other people's?

#110 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:00 PM

Her hands? Or other people's?

She encouraged other people to do it too if they thought I was out of line.

BUT, since someone asked for a new topic I made one

http://www.neocodex....o-or-grey-area/

#111 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:01 PM

The bible is not a good source of proper punishment.

By that standard if you had premarital sex we can stone you for it.

Bahaha reading the bible should be a form of punishment!

Children aren't any worse than they were 25-50 years ago. Children are just more visible. There's so much wrong with this entire justification for spanking. The world isn't going to hell. Things are better in large for a lot of people than they were before.

My dad hit me with a belt until I was black and blue for being autistic and stimming. I didn't turn out okay. But yeah, spanking is totally fine. smh.

I disagree with the first part but again, agree to disagree :/ 

And that is abuse. I am really sorry he did that to you! You are an amazing girl, super smart, and beautiful! 

#112 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:01 PM

For reals, you think the only way to instil respect and manners is through inflicting pain?

I said the same effing thing you said before you even said it and I said it better .. yet you get a +rep and I didn't.

I sense a dramatic exit in my near future.

#113 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:03 PM

I said the same effing thing you said before you even said it and I said it better .. yet you get a +rep and I didn't.

Nah, man, you just gotta work on your poetic lilt. Read your post aloud - doesn't slide out of the mouth as smoothly as it might :p

#114 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:03 PM

I think the best book smell comes from those books that have hard covers that use cloth threads. The older they are the better they smell

Spoiler

That type of spanking would legally be considered child abuse in Missouri.

I think the best book smell comes from those books that have hard covers that use cloth threads. The older they are the better they smell

Spoiler

#115 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

So bad it had to be said twice!

#116 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:05 PM

I thought forensic psychology died when people realised it wasn't reliable.

Forensic psychology focuses on juries now. What you are referring to is the chemistry side of forensic psychology.

Lie detection is no longer admissible in court. Eye witnesses can be thrown out because it has been proven to be more false than true when it comes to people recalling what they seen. 

I am not going into forensic psychology either. I am the person that will collect what I can at crime scenes, analyze the crime scenes and come up with scenarios for what happened. And as far as working with prisoners, I want to work with them on their mental health and use that to reform prison punishments such as solitary confinement.

#117 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:06 PM

So bad it had to be said twice!

We are attempting to watch netflix while I type lol

#118 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Forensic psychology focuses on juries now. What you are referring to is the chemistry side of forensic psychology.

Lie detection is no longer admissible in court. Eye witnesses can be thrown out because it has been proven to be more false than true when it comes to people recalling what they seen. 

I am not going into forensic psychology either. I am the person that will collect what I can at crime scenes, analyze the crime scenes and come up with scenarios for what happened. And as far as working with prisoners, I want to work with them on their mental health and use that to reform prison punishments such as solitary confinement.

But you're cool with physical abuse of children who cannot defend themselves? Yikes.

#119 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Nah, man, you just gotta work on your poetic lilt. Read your post aloud - doesn't slide out of the mouth as smoothly as it might :p

I am extremely poetically lilitic .. 

Everything about that sentence was wrong, I know.

#120 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:07 PM

But you're cool with physical abuse of children who cannot defend themselves? Yikes.

I wish I could rep this +10

#121 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:08 PM

I'm sad that I turned into the bad guy on this thread! :/ 

#122 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:10 PM

Don't tell me what I am referring to O_o I am aware of those facts.

You were talking about using your background in psychology to analyse crime scenes and criminals. That sounds like what a forensic psychologist does (or did ;)). I would have expected an actual CSI hopeful to have a background in a more rigorous science - maybe biochemistry. Sorry for not realising what you were talking about from your murky and misleading description.

I am extremely poetically lilitic .. 

Everything about that sentence was wrong, I know.

It's ok. No ones blames you.

#123 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:12 PM

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

:(

#124 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:13 PM

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

:(

Awww bb well I thank you for trying. :crybaby:  

#125 Generic

Generic
  • 352 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:27 PM

I'm sad that I turned into the bad guy on this thread! :/

That's happened to me on a few threads in the past. Unfortunately if you don't have the majority opinion on a topic, you're probably going to get dozens of replies against you because everyone wants to give their two cents and there aren't many people arguing your side. Just the nature of a discussion forum really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users