• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#26 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:32 PM

Ugh. I'm so sorry to hear that. It is SO FUCKING hard to quit, I really do feel where he's coming from. It's a mental and physical addiction. I've read that your brain chemistry while quitting smoking is comparable to those trying to quit heroine or cocaine. I think your support has probably been key in helping him cut down, though.

Well that doesn't help me :(

It really is from what I've seen. It's worth noting that I doubt he stood a chance in not picking it up. In the military, especially on the flightline, smoking is unintentionally encouraged because people get smoke breaks that they would not usually get. Breaks for the sake of resting and cooling down from work for a few in the military isn't a thing. So, if you don't smoke, you don't get to step away from work much. Most days my husband doesn't even get to eat lunch. He's literally eating on the truck unless he's driving, then he isn't eating at all. This is really shitty when you think about it and it's no wonder so many stressed out military folk smoke. When he gets home from work tonight, I can find out more about his vape too and give you the info.

#27 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for your kind words! I'm hoping to quit before the point of throat cancer but gosh darn is it ever hard. I never thought I would miss smoking as much as I do, even though I'm just trying to cut down at this point.

Three months is awesome though. Hopefully she sticks with it one of these times. Most people who have quit tell me that it took them a lot of tries before it stuck, hence the 'never quit trying to quit'. Ugh. :(

See, I would wait until Friday, but I got an angry email from my landlord today about my smoking so I thought 'welp, time to quit before my ass gets evicted'

What does vitamin c and b do? Are you suggesting I pick up a bottle of those?

Yes, do. Unless you've been taking c 3x a day on top of whatever your dietary intake is, you're deficient. Smoking sucks the c right out of you, so it'll help get your supply up (which will help you feel better overall). The b vitamins will help with the actual physical withdrawal symptoms. The water and sweating will help get all the addictive and harmful stuff out quicker so the withdrawal is shorter.

#28 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

OK

I used an Innokin iTaste MVP V2.0.  This was in 2013-2014, so this mod is only like $40 now and there are better/newer ones available.

The tank I had was the Kanger Protank II.  I replaced the tank that originally came with the mod with this one.  I thought it would be nice to have a backup tank but the tank that came with the mod was so shitty I never really used it.

#29 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:44 PM

Try smoking/eating weed instead. 

I'm really not into weed. :(

Lemme see if I can figure out which one that I had...brb

AWESOME SAUCE, thank you. No worries if you can't figure it out, though.

It really is from what I've seen. It's worth noting that I doubt he stood a chance in not picking it up. In the military, especially on the flightline, smoking is unintentionally encouraged because people get smoke breaks that they would not usually get. Breaks for the sake of resting and cooling down from work for a few in the military isn't a thing. So, if you don't smoke, you don't get to step away from work much. Most days my husband doesn't even get to eat lunch. He's literally eating on the truck unless he's driving, then he isn't eating at all. This is really shitty when you think about it and it's no wonder so many stressed out military folk smoke. When he gets home from work tonight, I can find out more about his vape too and give you the info.

He would get the breaks if he vaped though, wouldn't he? That's the thing, though, once you start depending on cigarettes every time you're stressed it becomes really difficult to quit long term. That would be cool, did he go down the cheap route or get a more expensive one?

Yes, do. Unless you've been taking c 3x a day on top of whatever your dietary intake is, you're deficient. Smoking sucks the c right out of you, so it'll help get your supply up (which will help you feel better overall). The b vitamins will help with the actual physical withdrawal symptoms. The water and sweating will help get all the addictive and harmful stuff out quicker so the withdrawal is shorter.

Ooooh. You are a wise woman. I will pick up some of those after work. Did you do this when you quit?

OK

I used an Innokin iTaste MVP V2.0.  This was in 2013-2014, so this mod is only like $40 now and there are better/newer ones available.

The tank I had was the Kanger Protank II.  I replaced the tank that originally came with the mod with this one.  I thought it would be nice to have a backup tank but the tank that came with the mod was so shitty I never really used it.

Sweet, thank you. I will look into this. And you started off at the highest nicotine level I assume?

#30 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:45 PM

He would get the breaks if he vaped though, wouldn't he? That's the thing, though, once you start depending on cigarettes every time you're stressed it becomes really difficult to quit long term. That would be cool, did he go down the cheap route or get a more expensive one?

Ooooh. You are a wise woman. I will pick up some of those after work. Did you do this when you quit?

Sweet, thank you. I will look into this. And you started off at the highest nicotine level I assume?

Yes, I've quit a couple times and did this each time.

#31 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:45 PM

Yes, he can vape while others smoke. So he gets those smoke breaks. A lot of people in his shop vape now too. He's had a lot of different vapes over the years because he is really interested in electrical stuff it became sort of a side-hobby learning to build different vapes. His current one was like 65 or 75 bucks I think? Idk. I'll have to ask. He gets off at 10pm tonight *fingers crossed* if they don't hold him for a 12-13 hour shift e.e

#32 Generic

Generic
  • 352 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:00 PM

I don't have too much experience with addictions, but I've always considered exponential weaning to be at least a solid concept. Like, if you can't bring yourself to quit cold turkey, understandably, give a pack to a close friend/family member for safe keeping and tell them you're allowed (for example) one in a few days, then one in a week, then in a couple weeks, etc etc. If quitting cold turkey is too much of a leap, just cut way way back so you have one to look forward to. And then when you can, when you already haven't had one in weeks or months, just stop entirely.

#33 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:11 PM

I actually started at 12mg, then cut to 6 and quit before going to 0.  I smoked less than 1ppd, 24mg was a little much for me.

#34 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:18 PM

Yes, I've quit a couple times and did this each time.

Did it stick this time? Or are you still smoking?

Yes, he can vape while others smoke. So he gets those smoke breaks. A lot of people in his shop vape now too. He's had a lot of different vapes over the years because he is really interested in electrical stuff it became sort of a side-hobby learning to build different vapes. His current one was like 65 or 75 bucks I think? Idk. I'll have to ask. He gets off at 10pm tonight *fingers crossed* if they don't hold him for a 12-13 hour shift e.e

God, 12-13 hour shift. That sounds brutal. That's good though, that he gets the breaks. My friend is a pretty heavy vaper (ex heavy smoker) and she said she's probably never going to stop as she likes the breaks she gets to take. 

I don't have too much experience with addictions, but I've always considered exponential weaning to be at least a solid concept. Like, if you can't bring yourself to quit cold turkey, understandably, give a pack to a close friend/family member for safe keeping and tell them you're allowed (for example) one in a few days, then one in a week, then in a couple weeks, etc etc. If quitting cold turkey is too much of a leap, just cut way way back so you have one to look forward to. And then when you can, when you already haven't had one in weeks or months, just stop entirely.

I'm trying to do this now. The difficulty is self control. So if I have cigarettes, and I'm craving one, it's super hard not to just smoke one. Ugh.

I actually started at 12mg, then cut to 6 and quit before going to 0.  I smoked less than 1ppd, 24mg was a little much for me.

Did you set a timeline for yourself? I was thinking that might help, but add a bit of stress so I'm not sure.

#35 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:20 PM

Did you set a timeline for yourself? I was thinking that might help, but add a bit of stress so I'm not sure.

No.  I was compassionate with myself.  The only soft timeline I ended up having was that I knew I would be ready to quit when my big expensive mod died, because I was ready at that point and just kind of waiting for it to die for me to be done with it.

#36 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:43 PM

I really wish I could rep+ a bunch of these posts. If vaping helps at all, maybe I can help my mom out with that! 

#37 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

Did it stick this time? Or are you still smoking?

I haven't in over a year now, close to two, I guess. I always last at least a year, and the time before last I quit, it was for five years.

#38 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:27 PM

Actually I am using the Innokin SmartBox, got it as a starter kit form MyVaporStore.

I quit smoking in September 2014 and went 100% to vaping. I've been at zero nicotine in the juices I like for the past 1.5 years now.

#39 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

When you find out let me know lol

#40 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:38 AM

When you find out let me know lol

Find out what???

#41 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:39 AM

Find out what???

An effective way to quit. I have tried everything you can think of.

#42 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:42 AM

I 100% stand by my weed statement

#43 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:43 AM

Try smoking/eating weed instead. 

Like I said, I've tried everything you can think of :p

#44 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:44 AM

I'm reading Allen Carr's 'An Easy Way to Stop Smoking'. Which was recommended to me by three ex-smokers and claims to have made millions of people (yes, millions) quit smoking. So I'll keep you posted. :p

#45 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:45 AM

Like I said, I've tried everything you can think of :p

All I can think of is like patches/gum, vapes, and weed :( 

#46 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:47 AM

All I can think of is like patches/gum, vapes, and weed :(

When I quit a while back I did it cold turkey and had over two years in before I succumbed to a spontaneous craving and spiraled downward. 

I've found the patch a little helpful but very pricey here.

#47 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:49 AM

When I quit a while back I did it cold turkey and had over two years in before I succumbed to a spontaneous craving and spiraled downward. 

I've found the patch a little helpful but very pricey here.

I'm going through the same thing right now, I went cold turkey, it's been a bit over a year and I'm honestly afraid I'm gonna spiral down. I crave every day still. 

#48 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:51 AM

I'm going through the same thing right now, I went cold turkey, it's been a bit over a year and I'm honestly afraid I'm gonna spiral down. I crave every day still. 

Yeah it was really tough for me in social situations since I was very much a social smoker (still am). When I'd go to parties at a friend's or be chatting on the phone, or even just having a friend over for coffee, I'd crave a smoke so badly because those were the situations I used to find myself smoking the most. 

Literally the first cigarette I had after two years started the ball rolling again and now I've been smoking for 2 years since then.

#49 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:17 AM

With quitting anything that I use as part of my self-care, I have to do a lot of mental work around that.  And cigarettes are totally a way that you take care of yourself.  You are giving yourself what you need.  If the method of fulfillment isn't in alignment with what you want to be doing or how you want to be fulfilling your needs anymore, then there's some work to do to figure some things out.  Why do I do this?  What is it giving to me?  What types of physical feelings do I get when I do it?  How do I experience those feelings otherwise?  What type of mental/emotional stimulus is this?  What other things do I do or could I do to give me the same type of reaction?  Or do I still need that at all?

That kind of thing.

#50 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:59 AM

The patches made my already vivid dreams go crazy and it screwed with my mental state.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users