• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:48 PM

If you ever played any tabletop role-playing game, or virtual role-playing game, you've probably had to choose a class. Your character's class determines your character's abilities and skills in a game. There are four primary classes and a fuckload of sub-classes that generally fall under a primary. The four primary classes seen in most RP games are fighter, cleric, mage and rogue.

What class are you in real life? Why do you think you're that class? Feel free to describe a sub-class if you want, but tell me why you think you're a particular sub-class (e.g. you think you're a druid because you love animals, nature and you grow plants, etc). What classes do you like to play in games most? Do you play the class that reflects who you are in real life or just play whatever for funsies?

I've always personally identified with clerics, but I don't feel that's entirely accurate since I'm not religious. I just always felt my empathy was something that fit in the cleric class the best. I guess I'm a weird combination of mage (nerds of the realm) and cleric because I am nerdy as fuck and pretty good at being around for others, making space for their problems and listening. I always pick mages and clerics first in video games, but I do like branching out and playing every class eventually.

#2 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:03 PM

Nymh and I both play World of Warcraft, and I mainly play an elemental shaman. For the uninitiated, it's basically a spellcaster with elemental magic. Lightning bolts 'n' shit. I've tried to play other classes to supersede my shaman, but nothing ever comes close to the fun and flow of my precious Jadax.

When I played Dungeons and Dragons, back in the day, I was a sorcerer, and when we started a Shadowrun campaign just last year or so that we never went back to, I was a shaman there too.

I gravitate towards flashy casters, I guess.

#3 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:07 PM

Nymh and I both play World of Warcraft, and I mainly play an elemental shaman. For the uninitiated, it's basically a spellcaster with elemental magic. Lightning bolts 'n' shit. I've tried to play other classes to supersede my shaman, but nothing ever comes close to the fun and flow of my precious Jadax.

When I played Dungeons and Dragons, back in the day, I was a sorcerer, and when we started a Shadowrun campaign just last year or so that we never went back to, I was a shaman there too.

I gravitate towards flashy casters, I guess.

Mage-types are so fun. In Everquest, I mained as a mage (elemental spellcaster) and it's usually the first class I play in every MMO unless I'm playing with someone, then I may pick cleric first. My main in ESO is a mage. I'm pretty sure for the short period I played WoW I played a mage-type but that was a really long time ago. 

#4 Silentqueen

Silentqueen
  • 187 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:09 PM

The few RP games I played in I always chose to be a mage

caring, creative thinking, problem solver, not really violent - more of a protector

Yeah, I  identified with those characteristics, so that's why I chose that class.

And casting spells rocks. 

No weapons needed, just pure magic. 

I'd even consider choosing cleric maybe, but I could definitely never see myself as a fighter or a rogue. 

#5 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:15 PM

Mage-types are so fun. In Everquest, I mained as a mage (elemental spellcaster) and it's usually the first class I play in every MMO unless I'm playing with someone, then I may pick cleric first. My main in ESO is a mage. I'm pretty sure for the short period I played WoW I played a mage-type but that was a really long time ago.

I think I just like standing back to have a better view of what's going on, but still being involved in the murderation. Hence, casters :p

#6 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

The few RP games I played in I always chose to be a mage

caring, creative thinking, problem solver, not really violent - more of a protector

Yeah, I  identified with those characteristics, so that's why I chose that class.

And casting spells rocks. 

No weapons needed, just pure magic. 

I'd even consider choosing cleric maybe, but I could definitely never see myself as a fighter or a rogue. 

Solid class choice. 

I think I just like standing back to have a better view of what's going on, but still being involved in the murderation. Hence, casters :p

For me, it's definitely the pew pew magic bolts thing. 

giphy.gif

#7 Silentqueen

Silentqueen
  • 187 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:33 PM

Thanks @Coops,

I haven't played WoW in ages though, but might give it a try again , I've got nothing to do this summer. 

#8 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:34 PM

Thanks @Coops,

I haven't played WoW in ages though, but might give it a try again , I've got nothing to do this summer. 

Do et!

I was thinking about updating Diablo 3 or maybe Path of Exile while I've still got free time. 

#9 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

Cleric all the way bitches.

In Monster Hunter 3U, I usually played as an archer that inflicted varying statuses on the monster and kept my teammates alive.

It helped that we had 2 extremely aggressive players (@Chappy and another friend)

Ever since that game, I've played as a cleric in any co-op game I played.

If I'm playing by myself though, I usually do fighter.

#10 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:24 PM

I still play WoW and I have one of every character. I do however favor spell casters more than any melee class. I guess if I -have- to pick a class, it would be mages.

I've always liked the idea of being able to cast spells or do wicked cool shit with my mind. Intelligence > brute strength -- both IRL and in games, yo.

#11 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:08 PM

In real life I am a bit of a cloistered mage.  I study occult topics, read tarot and work with the psycho-spiritual.  I'm constantly researching, referencing, learning, building upon my own understanding of the universe.  I'm a lot like an Archivist, a sub-class of Wizards in D&D.  They are arcane magic users who are able to cast divine as well as arcane spells, because they are Students of the Gods.  They seek to unravel the secrets of the universe.  That's pretty much me IRL, an arcane student of divine topics.  And I have actually worked as an archivist, in the library of my college (loved it).

As far as tabletop RPG's, my absolute favorite character was a specialty priestess of Mystra.  Funnily she was a divine magic user...but being a priestess of Mystra, the Goddess of Knoweldge and Magic, she was also able to cast arcane spells.  Basically the same as the archivist, but from the opposite perspective.  I think the Archivist suits me better, though.

In MMO's I always like to be far away from the heat of the battle, but I am happy either DPS or healer.  In WoW I play a BM Hunter because I like to collect things, and you can tame rare hunter pets.  Plus they have super high survivability solo.

#12 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:16 PM

Well in DnD I always played whatever had Disintegration Beam so I could just melt whatever I wanted and whomever I wanted. I'm not as destructive in real life, but any taste of power and I get corrupted so quickly.

#13 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:16 PM

In real life I am a bit of a cloistered mage.  I study occult topics, read tarot and work with the psycho-spiritual.  I'm constantly researching, referencing, learning, building upon my own understanding of the universe.  I'm a lot like an Archivist, a sub-class of Wizards in D&D.  They are arcane magic users who are able to cast divine as well as arcane spells, because they are Students of the Gods.  They seek to unravel the secrets of the universe.  That's pretty much me IRL, an arcane student of divine topics.  And I have actually worked as an archivist, in the library of my college (loved it).

As far as tabletop RPG's, my absolute favorite character was a specialty priestess of Mystra.  Funnily she was a divine magic user...but being a priestess of Mystra, the Goddess of Knoweldge and Magic, she was also able to cast arcane spells.  Basically the same as the archivist, but from the opposite perspective.  I think the Archivist suits me better, though.

In MMO's I always like to be far away from the heat of the battle, but I am happy either DPS or healer.  In WoW I play a BM Hunter because I like to collect things, and you can tame rare hunter pets.  Plus they have super high survivability solo.

Do you mind posting some pics of your tarot cards? I love different tarot cards because the art is always really interesting. I appreciate that you took the time to answer all my questions too. It's pretty neat that you've worked as an archivist in a library. Any crazy library stories? My cousin is a program manager in a city library and she has a lot of really hilarious and weird stories about people at the library.

#14 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:02 PM

I'm a rogue 99% of the time in games.

But I'd probably be something more of a healer I guess?

#15 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:09 PM

I always pick Mage these days, however I have thoroughly enjoyed playing fighter in my younger years, but only ever as an archer.

If I have the option, I'll always pick necromancy. Unless there's too many 'evil' implications (example blood magic in dragon age) in which case I'll avoid it.

I'm not like a Mage in any way in real life, I'm probably more akin to a rogue or .... an NPC. Lmao. But I like to pretend, and I find magic is the coolest thing to pretend exists.

#16 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:15 PM

I always pick Mage these days, however I have thoroughly enjoyed playing fighter in my younger years, but only ever as an archer.

If I have the option, I'll always pick necromancy. Unless there's too many 'evil' implications (example blood magic in dragon age) in which case I'll avoid it.

I'm not like a Mage in any way in real life, I'm probably more akin to a rogue or .... an NPC. Lmao. But I like to pretend, and I find magic is the coolest thing to pretend exists.

How are you like an NPC? lol, sounds sorta depressing.

#17 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:18 PM

Do you mind posting some pics of your tarot cards?

We'll be here all day...

#18 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:23 PM

We'll be here all day...

Is that a problem? :p

#19 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:35 PM

Is that a problem? :p

I don't know... I asked the cards and pulled The Tower...

#20 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:44 PM

How are you like an NPC? lol, sounds sorta depressing.

I don't like adventure, I don't like kerfuffle, I dress plainly .. I'm basically that NPC that repairs your gear but says 'don't cause any trouble round here'.

And no, I don't find it depressing lol. If I lived in the fictional fantasy world that I play games in, I like to think I would be a kickass Mage. But unfortunately I live in this world and in this world I'm a hermit. :p

#21 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:46 PM

I don't like adventure, I don't like kerfuffle, I dress plainly .. I'm basically that NPC that repairs your gear but says 'don't cause any trouble round here'.

And no, I don't find it depressing lol. If I lived in the fictional fantasy world that I play games in, I like to think I would be a kickass Mage. But unfortunately I live in this world and in this world I'm a hermit. :p

Oh okay, that's fair. I just thought like you meant you were a background person, since most npcs are background and don't usually function as an integral part of a story, which is why I said that's sort of depressing.  

#22 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:48 PM

Like Lisbeth in Sword Art Online :D

GVayo9T.jpg

#23 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

GVayo9T.jpg

Lisbeth is a badass. 

#24 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:56 PM

Oh okay, that's fair. I just thought like you meant you were a background person, since most npcs are background and don't usually function as an integral part of a story, which is why I said that's sort of depressing.

Ohhh. Well I meant more like personality wise. Like I would be Bilbo, not a random hobbit. I hope that makes sense. :p

GVayo9T.jpg

Idk who that is but I'm digging her outfit.

#25 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:57 PM

Ohhh. Well I meant more like personality wise. Like I would be Bilbo, not a random hobbit. I hope that makes sense. :p

Idk who that is but I'm digging her outfit.

That makes more sense and to be clear not all npcs are background. There are plenty of games with important and awesome npcs. It just depends on the game.

But damn, mages represent on Codex. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users