• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

Hey guys, I thought I had posted a thread about this here, but I can't find it so here goes....

I built myself my very first decent gaming rig back in December last year and wanted to share some specs/pics on how it all went and what's inside.

Let me know what you think.

Specs are as follows:

My Skylake Build

MotherBoard: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Intel LGA 1151 Z170
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW DT Gaming ACX 3.0 8GB
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K Quad Core LGA 1151 4.0 GHz Unlocked
HDD: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB WD10EZEX
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-75E1T0 and Samsung 950 PRO 256GB NVMe M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 80mm
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32GB (4x 8GB) 2400MHz Quad Channel DDR4 - RED
Monitors: 2x LG 23M45 23" LED Full HD
Headset: Logitech G231 Prodigy Series gaming headset
Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech G213 Prodigy Series RGB gaming keyboard and G403 Prodigy Series RGB Wireless gaming mouse
Water Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 240mm Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 Mid Tower
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 80+ Gold Modular

Misc Additions: Thermaltake Riing 12 Plus Premium RGB fans x5, NZXT Hue+ Lighting Controller and 4x NZXT RGB LED Strips for additional case lighting

Spoiler

Updates to the rig as of yesterday. I felt it was a bit plain looking, so went ahead and added the Thermaltake Riing 12 Plus Premium RGB fans and the NZXT Hue+ lighting controller/RGB LED strips. I also did a tonne of cable management to make it a lot neater. Pretty happy with the results so far.
Spoiler

#2 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:38 PM

Omg I love the lighting.

#3 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:45 PM

I'm building a computer, but I'm poor and only got a 1050ti OC, Ryzen 5 1600x, and 16GB of RAM.

I accept pity donations.

JK

Just need to get my case, better PSU, and fans galore.

#4 Silentqueen

Silentqueen
  • 187 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:35 AM

This looks awesome! Love the design too. I must say I wasn't a fan of Win 10 when it first came out but after they fixed it and added a bunch of stuff I got it before it became a paid version and am loving it. 

Cool beans :thumbsup:

Looking at your list reminds me I need to buy more RAM. I've only got 4 GB at the moment :)

#5 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:04 AM

Y'all got great rigs and I'm just like "My house is too small for a rig rip me"

#6 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:12 AM

It's preeeety 8D

I'm no expert on computer builds, but it looks like you've got a good system. :)

#7 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:50 AM

That is sexy as fffffuuuuuuuuuck.

#8 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:48 AM

https://www.newegg.c...Id=1&Submit=ENE

These cases are amazing. My buddy has one and fits a 1070 in it, and every other component needed. You have no excuse anymore!

#9 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

https://www.newegg.c...Id=1&Submit=ENE

These cases are amazing. My buddy has one and fits a 1070 in it, and every other component needed. You have no excuse anymore!

Aye I got a silverstone sugo sg13, fits in me backpack n everything. Rocking a watercooled (single 120mm radiator tho) i7-6700k and a gigabyte gtx 1070 mini variant. It gets a bit toasty but I'll be doing a casemod to install a slim profile 140mm fan to the side as an extra exhaust.

Whole case fits in my backpack so it doesn't take room at all pretty much.

#10 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:45 AM

To add to Adam's post, there are miniature GPUs which are just as powerful (I think the Zotac GTX 1080 mini is slightly more powerful than a regular 1080?) as the big ones ^^ All I ever hear is praise for the 1060 mini. Look at how itty bitty it is!!

Spoiler

When I build my rig down the road I'm tempted to make a mini-ITX build.... The biggest issues I've heard surrounding those sorta builds in the past is that they can be super noisy, but apparently its not as bad anymore? So that's pretty cool!! I'm just hoping someone makes a tiny RX480/580 during a time when I have money since that's the one I would want :(

#11 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:21 AM

To add to Adam's post, there are miniature GPUs which are just as powerful (I think the Zotac GTX 1080 mini is slightly more powerful than a regular 1080?) as the big ones ^^ All I ever hear is praise for the 1060 mini. Look at how itty bitty it is!!

Spoiler

When I build my rig down the road I'm tempted to make a mini-ITX build.... The biggest issues I've heard surrounding those sorta builds in the past is that they can be super noisy, but apparently its not as bad anymore? So that's pretty cool!! I'm just hoping someone makes a tiny RX480/580 during a time when I have money since that's the one I would want :(

Tbh there's a lot of ITX cases that can fit a full size gpu in them. I used to rock a Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX 480 in my sg13 and it bearly fit (only because the power connector was on the end of the gpu instead on top of the gpu) before my gtx 1070. And there's always the option of undervolting components to reduce the power draw but your mileage may vary based on the silicon lottery you pull with your chips. Less volts = less power draw = less heat output = less fan noise (with the appropriate fan curve e.g. start rotating X rotations per minute when hitting Y degrees, etc.)

#12 Artleyz

Artleyz
  • 294 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:22 PM

Woah, very nice rig! :o

Really impressed by the 1TB SSD. I always have a HDD and SSD in mine too, but I always cheap out on the SSD size a bit.

pcmasterrace

one of us

#13 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:45 PM

holy shit, I did not even notice the 1TB SSD... thats sweet. I bet that set you back a dime

#14 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:20 PM

Just curious, what was the total cost of the rig? Looks fantastic!

holy shit, I did not even notice the 1TB SSD... thats sweet. I bet that set you back a dime

Yeah it wasn't cheap, but then again, I was fortunate enough to have some $ to spend on whatever I wanted so yeah. Cost me a tad over $3K AUD for everything on that list at the time (back in December last year, prices have fallen considerably for the same components since then, with the exception of the GPU, due to cryptominers).

Woah, very nice rig! :o

Really impressed by the 1TB SSD. I always have a HDD and SSD in mine too, but I always cheap out on the SSD size a bit.

pcmasterrace

one of us

It certainly helped having the larger storage space, but I only really use it for a select few games/programs that I use constantly. All other storage goes onto the HDD and portable HDD's attached to the system. The OS is the only thing that runs off the NVMe drive for quick start up. System boots up and logs into windows in about 10 seconds. 

That is sexy as fffffuuuuuuuuuck.

I know, right? The past couple of days I have found myself mesmerised by the bloody lights, just sitting there playing with the various modes haha

It's preeeety 8D

I'm no expert on computer builds, but it looks like you've got a good system. :)

Thanks :D Yeah I am beyond stoked with the way it's turned out and performs.

This looks awesome! Love the design too. I must say I wasn't a fan of Win 10 when it first came out but after they fixed it and added a bunch of stuff I got it before it became a paid version and am loving it. 

Cool beans :thumbsup:

Looking at your list reminds me I need to buy more RAM. I've only got 4 GB at the moment :)

I am considering 'upgrading' my RAM to the G.Skill Trident RGB 32GB option they provide, but I cannot justify spending almost $400AUD on what is essentially only more RGB lights.....

Aye I got a silverstone sugo sg13, fits in me backpack n everything. Rocking a watercooled (single 120mm radiator tho) i7-6700k and a gigabyte gtx 1070 mini variant. It gets a bit toasty but I'll be doing a casemod to install a slim profile 140mm fan to the side as an extra exhaust.

Whole case fits in my backpack so it doesn't take room at all pretty much.

^This

I considered building a small form-factor system for portability eventually, as I enjoy being able to drink/game with mates regularly, so being able to have a portable option would be cool. Not a necessity for me right now, but a decent option nonetheless.

#15 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2017 - 04:52 PM

Just a quick demo of the new lighting in the rig. Enjoy.

#16 graciea

graciea
  • 105 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:46 PM

Man that is gorgeous. I've never had a rig with cool lights before so that's honestly so amazing to me.

This is inspiring me to maybe build my own...maybe in the autumn. :p

#17 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:13 PM

Man that is gorgeous. I've never had a rig with cool lights before so that's honestly so amazing to me.

This is inspiring me to maybe build my own...maybe in the autumn. :p

Thanks :D Glad you feel inspired to do your own. I'm so happy with the system I've been fortunate enough to put together.

Good luck if you do build your own and keep us updated!

#18 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:27 PM

OMG. Setup is (almost) complete! Still have the new desk to design/build, but this was the icing on the cake for me today!

n2JUQgo.jpg

pQ1G8bB.jpg

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!! 

#19 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:05 AM

Righto, so, today was a great day. I managed to pretty much complete my setup in it's current form and be 100% happy with what I managed to produce. Let me know what you think. Later on down the track when I have some more spare coin, I will be splashing out and getting the new Thermaltake View 71 Tempered Glass tower to house the PC and update the look a little better to match the desk setup.

Spoiler

This is the View 71 TG edition I wish to eventually get:

Spoiler

#20 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:42 AM

That's amazing! Everything looks so smooth and colorful! (<--jealous)

#21 Muirex

Muirex
  • 108 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:28 AM

Setup looks amazing! I feel like I've posted about this before but goshdang I'm jealous :p

#22 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:29 AM

Updated OP with a 'showcase' video :) Enjoy

#23 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:58 PM

oooo nice mate looking good so far

#24 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2021 - 06:27 AM

Well, it's been a long time since I last updated this thread (completely forgot about it to be honest). But my setup has definitely come a lonnnnnng way since the last 'showcase' video.

Here is an older video (yet more current than the showcase one) from when I moved from the Family room into my own Office room. We now have two PC's set up in here, with my wife/kids using the second setup (which I will post some details of at a later date).

I will record a new 'up to date' video soon enough with the final form of my setup in all its glory.

Specs are now as follows:

MotherBoard : ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Z170
GPU : EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW Edition 8GB
CPU : Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz overclocked to 4.2GHz
HDD : Western Digital WD Blue 1TB Mechanical
SSD : Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD and Samsung 950 PRO 256GB NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD
RAM : 32GB (8x4) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz
Monitor : Acer Predator X34P Ultrawide 120Hz IPS Gaming Monitor (primary), AOC 27G2 27" 144Hz IPS (setup vertically as a secondary monitor)
Headset : HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless

Mic: HyperX Quadcast mounted on a Rode PSA1 Boom Arm.
Keyboard/Mouse : Corsair K70 MK.2 Rapidfire Low Profile Mechanical Gaming Keyboard and G703 Lightspeed RGB Wireless gaming mouse
Cooling : Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 240mm AIO Cooler
Case : Thermaltake View 71 TG RGB Edition
PSU : EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 80+ Gold Modular
Misc Additions : Thermaltake Riing 12 Plus Premium RGB fans x5, Thermaltake Riing 14 RGB fans x3, NZXT Hue+ Lighting Controller and 4x NZXT RGB LED Strips for additional case lighting, CableMod ModMesh Pro E-Series PSU Cable Kit (Black/Red), Logitech C920 Webcam, Corsair Gaming MM330 Extended Edition Mousemat, Arlec 2m RGB LED Strip lighting behind the desk, SecretLab Titan Gaming Chair (sold my old Titan which served me very well for 4 years) SecretLab Omega Akali Special Edition Gaming Chair, custom made IKEA desk (1850mm x 640mm Eckbacken Kitchen Countertop, 2x Grey Alex Drawer sets, 2x sets of Capita Legs to separate the countertop from the drawers, 2x Signum cable management racks mounted on the underside of the countertop), Logitech G560 RGB Speakers/Sub, Nanoleaf Aurora Rhythm RGB Lighting Panels (mounted above the monitor on the wall).

Pic for an example of how it looks now:

PBCGhK1.jpg

#25 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2021 - 06:29 AM

I am 5000% jealous. I've got an alienware laptop, but that's it for my setup. 

I have been wanting a secret lab chair for ages but my place is tiny and it's hard to say if it'll fit properly. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users