45 replies to this topic

#1 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:46 AM

POPULAR POST!

Hey Everyone,

It has been a while since I posted (which I totally get does not help the inactivity issue), but I wanted to chime in and address a couple of points that have been brought up about where we currently stand, and a little bit about my history with the forum to spread a bit of light on the future.

First off. We are not going anywhere. I can say that with absolute confidence knowing what is currently in our bank account along with the day-to-day costs of what it costs to run neocodex. I have been a member of this community starting all the way back in October 2010 and I first joined the staff in November of that year. Since then I have met people here who have become like family. Whether it be drinking beer with Cameron, riding on the back of Faraaz's bike on a highway, farting in front of Kate (there was also that time she brought her husband and kids over and I think one ate some cat food), eating Burritos with Jessica (Jess), going to raves with the other Jessica (Padme), there was some event with Shannon, doing questionable activities with Arman in Montreal, getting way too drunk with Jon and having his friends call me "the white guy" all night, or hanging out in vegas with Rocket and almost getting married. Those are just the experiences that I had in person... There were countless nights that I was feeling down and there were so many people here to talk to and help me through it. I had a support network of people that actually cared, and it was a truly wonderful thing to know. There are too many memories here for me to explain, you will just need to take my word that we are not going anywhere and that I hope others have had a feeling and connection to this place as I have grown to know and love.

Running a forum is not an easy thing, there are rules that need to be established, trusted individuals need to become members of staff to help moderate the forum. It is not trivial at all and it saddens me to see such criticism of those individuals that we initially put trust into and truly did give it their best. Let us take a look at the first thread I contributed to when I joined back in October. http://www.neocodex....ython-web-stuff

This was back at a time when our programming team was still active, programs were being worked on weekly and both Cameron and Faraaz were still regularly active. Instead of me complaining about the lack of programs that were available, or the numerous other issues I had with the programs at the time, I stepped up and offered to help. I implore the individuals who have issues with the lack of activity and the lack of faith in the direction of the forum to step up and offer to help. Nothing is going to get done if we just sit around in a single thread and complain about how this place is not like how it use to be. Be the change you wish to see in the world, or in this case Neocodex. I am open to suggestions, yes let us include a couple of new sections for games. Yes let's add a new rank. Yes let's do something. However you need to see that we cannot just pull out a single and magic solution to fix everything. It was already mentioned earlier but neopets is dying, and as a site that has focused primarily on neopets, we are going to feel that backlash.

While I personally do not have that much of an image around here anymore, I want you all to know that in one way or another I have had something to do with Neocodex almost every day since I joined. Be it making sure we have good uptime, keeping the emails going, keeping the neocash card stock up, or even on slack communicating with anyone who joins in the channels. Forums are not as popular today as they use to be and to have a successful one these days, the bar is rising very fast. Social platforms like twitter, youtube, facebook and others have created community like atmospheres that have mostly replaced what we all knew the internet to be "back in the day". There are exceptions to this, of course, and that is also my personal opinion on the matter.

Before we had slack, we had an IRC channel that we used for codex. For those of you familiar with IRC you will know that it has been around since the turn of the century. It was heavily outdated, but one of the first places we had where members could instant message each other. It is also where we discussed such fascinating topics such as how a bowling ball will fall faster than a feather in a vacuum, and no one knows anything about anything unless they have a PhD in the topic. Truly enlightening times... In between that and slack, came tinychat - an unofficial official place where many shenanigans took place... We would just idle in the channel waiting for other members to join and I believe if i look hard enough I can find a video of Noitidart dancing on webcam while me, Georgina and Lisa sit around watching... However we needed to grow, and that was where slack came into light... It is this generation's equivalent of IRC (hell, it even has an IRC gateway plugin). You can either join our slack channel through this link: http://www.neocodex....x.php?app=slack or this one https://join.slack.c...YjNlMzY5ZjljMzk or pm me or even email at pyro@neocodex.us - We are waiting for you to join.

Another point I would like to bring up is that, once again, I joined back in 2010... That was 8 years ago... Quite a bit has happened for me personally in that time. Back then I was engaged (that was fun) which quickly went to me being single (even more fun), all while working a minimum wage part time job at costco handing out samples. After that I left the city I grew up in, to the capital of Canada and got my first real job... One that required me working 40+ hours a day and I had to work my ass off for it. Everyone else had an education and more of a reason to be there than I did... I had to prove myself over and over again... Fast forward today, and I have had so many life experiences it is impossible to think of the person I was back then. I bought my first property, I am in a well respected position at work and life has simply progressed for me to such a point that having 4 or 5 days a week to work on personal projects and things outside of my profession become more difficult. In other words, I grew up, there is not much else to say about it than that; however not a day goes by that I do not think of the place that helped me get here.
So this was my message to you, the community. That I have as much attachment to this place as anyone, and would love to see it thrive like the "olden days", however times have changed and if we want to continue to be the community I know that you want it to be, we need to change with it. Like I stated earlier, we are open to suggestions. Throw ideas at us and we will listen.

Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
-Cody Woolaver, Neocodex.us Administrator

#2 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:14 AM

Wellp that was a very personal post so I’m unsure if I should be posting regarding inactivity here or the other thread but as you mentioned you will do two of my suggestions in your post, I will try to think of some more.

If staff wants my help with anything, I’m here. Kind of. I did ask Kate if we could run the codies several months ago but she had private issues in her personal life and took a step back. I do think reinstating the codies would be a fun idea whenever Kate/the staff is open to it.

#3 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:39 AM

Wellp that was a very personal post so I’m unsure if I should be posting regarding inactivity here or the other thread but as you mentioned you will do two of my suggestions in your post, I will try to think of some more.

If staff wants my help with anything, I’m here. Kind of. I did ask Kate if we could run the codies several months ago but she had private issues in her personal life and took a step back. I do think reinstating the codies would be a fun idea whenever Kate/the staff is open to it.

The Codies has always been a user run activity that anyone is welcome to host. So if you want to, go for it! I'm sure it would be lots of fun, it always is.

#4 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:43 AM

My first post ever on the forums is here: http://www.neocodex....dpost&p=1204609

There was so much room for improvement and it is hard to find better solutions when you are trying to solve multiple different problems. At some point, I didn't want to keep distracting the programmers so I became a programmer myself and implemented my improvements if they worked well. I honestly don't remember my first update or even my first program because I was spread out everywhere. The Cellblock APer was definitely the first project I was proud of because it was a bit ambitious as far as coding and gui goes. My Auto Trainer rewrite took things a step further and there are some much needed improvements for today's standards. The Auto Trainer even had multi-account support but that was cut for reasons. My most recent, Auto Adopter, took everything I learned over the years.

Then there are projects that barely saw the light. I had a Neoquest 2 APer as my second solo project (after Cellblock APer). I had an Altador Plot APer that could finish the plot in under 10 minutes with no delays (I tested every possible shortcut and a way to cheat the longest plot step). The habitarium bot was my final neopets project and I think it made the biggest impact thanks so specific individuals.

Those times were much simpler but I've moved onto other games that provide a bit more challenge (not talking about FR).

#5 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:44 AM

fFIGG1m.jpg

We love and miss you Obama and Uncle Joe!

#6 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:52 AM

The Codies has always been a user run activity that anyone is welcome to host. So if you want to, go for it! I'm sure it would be lots of fun, it always is.

I think that .. I’m probably not the best person to run things as I don’t know many people here.

I will run it if nobody else wants to, but does anyone else want to?

Another suggestion that I have is to have a topic/area for people to post their social media. I was just reading through the other thread and Ladida’s post made a lot of sense. People are on social media. I won’t talk to any of you on here, but I would talk to you on SnapChat, for example. I’ve also lost touch with quite a few of you since deleting my Facebook 8 months ago. In the old days, everyone on here spoke over msn (pls no old timers bringing up embarrassing convos I’ll kms). Now, nobody talks over things like msn. It’s all over social media. Maybe find a way to link it all together as well? Like an Instagram group chat/Facebook group chat/SnapChat group. I feel like those would get so much more attention and activity than something like your discord or whatever. For those of us that are on those social media platforms either way. It’s convenient. It’s easy.

#7 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:54 AM

I think that .. I’m probably not the best person to run things as I don’t know many people here.

If I remember correctly @Nymh said she wanted to host it with you! :p I don't know if she's around at the moment though. 

#8 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:58 AM

If I remember correctly @Nymh said she wanted to host it with you! :p I don't know if she's around at the moment though.

I would tots host it with her. Can someone summon her? :(

#9 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:59 AM

I’ve also lost touch with quite a few of you since deleting my Facebook 8 months ago

Oh good, for 8 months I thought you hated me and removed me from your life...what a relief! 

#10 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:01 AM

Jokes on Cody, we did actually get married in Vegas he was just too drunk to remember.

#11 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:01 AM

Another suggestion that I have is to have a topic/area for people to post their social media. I was just reading through the other thread and Ladida’s post made a lot of sense. People are on social media. I won’t talk to any of you on here, but I would talk to you on SnapChat, for example. I’ve also lost touch with quite a few of you since deleting my Facebook 8 months ago. In the old days, everyone on here spoke over msn (pls no old timers bringing up embarrassing convos I’ll kms). Now, nobody talks over things like msn. It’s all over social media. Maybe find a way to link it all together as well? Like an Instagram group chat/Facebook group chat/SnapChat group. I feel like those would get so much more attention and activity than something like your discord or whatever. For those of us that are on those social media platforms either way. It’s convenient. It’s easy.

I feel like someone did post a social media tag thread but I looked for it the other day and couldn't find it. We can make a new one and pin it?

#12 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:07 AM

Oh good, for 8 months I thought you hated me and removed me from your life...what a relief! 

I hope you really didn't think that. :p

I feel like someone did post a social media tag thread but I looked for it the other day and couldn't find it. We can make a new one and pin it?

I've never seen one before, but like I said I also haven't been very active lately ..I think that would be a cool idea. I'd participate in posting mine, at least. And I would be more than happy to receive messages/follows/whatever from people on here. :D

#13 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:31 PM

Step 1 to being on staff: host the codies.

#14 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:42 PM

Can confirm.

Ran codies.

Later became private leader.

#15 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:05 PM

YEEEEAHHH that’s not what’s going to happen here. (Que sigh of relief from all current staff members)

Also thinking to mix in some new awards with the old ones. Keep the new young whipper snappers on their feet.

#16 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:26 PM

Can't confirm. 

Never hosted codies. 

As far as I recall, my first post was me screaming that I couldn't get a program to work. I'd rather not go find it again. 

#17 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:50 PM

"Remember, I'm pulling for you." ~Pyro699 2018

oww.gif

eliza-dushku-gif-13.gif

#18 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:49 PM

"Remember, I'm pulling for you." ~Pyro699 2018

oww.gif

eliza-dushku-gif-13.gif

Only you would turn that into innuendo. 
i like it

#19 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:13 PM

Only you would turn that into innuendo. 
i like it

You love it ;)

#20 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:57 AM

Can't confirm. 

Never hosted codies. 

As far as I recall, my first post was me screaming that I couldn't get a program to work. I'd rather not go find it again.

My first post was written by yung
ps thanks for that blast of nostalgia. @Pyro699

#21 Rauul

Rauul
  • Always drunk 坂本

• 1965 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:12 AM

hey if you need help with codies (like making awards, doing gfx, etc) im available 

#22 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:55 PM

hey if you need help with codies (like making awards, doing gfx, etc) im available

I’ll take you up on that offer my good sir. Hosting it is still up for grabs if anyone wants to, but if not I will begin coming up with the new awards this weekend and send them to you.

#23 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:30 PM

I have some free time, just point me at things to do.

#24 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:29 PM

I have some free time, just point me at things to do.

Just do things. Taking initiative is the best way to help the staff and forum. 

#25 sprockets

sprockets
  • DonJonatino

• 759 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:05 PM

hey "white guy" keep up the good work, appreciate all you do for us all :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users