• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:50 AM

Solo: A Star Wars Story came out this past weekend and it really got me thinking; I'm wondering if anyone else on the forum has thoughts or reviews on the film...

GIF_SOLO_Theatrical_Chewie_HeadShake.gif

I saw it opening night and the theatre was really empty. I bought my tickets pretty in advance as usual because often times opening night here sells out quickly. 

There was a lot of drama around the film: Whether the story warranted a film, director drama (Ron Howard came onto the project 10 months ago long after production had started), casting drama (Alden Ehrenreich as Han?), should the film come out Memorial Day weekend (it's often seen as a dumping ground for films with low expectations) and the inevitable Star Wars fatigue that people are feeling with four films being released in four years. 

So...

Have you seen Solo: A Star Wars Story? 

Do you plan on it?

Did you think it was wrong to ever make this into a film?

Any other thoughts and comments? Do you feel they should make this many films? What others would you like to see made? 

** Spoilers tag contains my full review and anything that may ruin movie for others ** 

Personally, I was a huge cynic going into the film. I got tickets because I am Star Wars trash and even if I was going to hate it, I had to see it - unspoiled. I thought that the film did NOT need to be made, a HUGE part of Han Solo lure for me is his mystery... his dice, the story of the Kessel run, how he got the Millenium Falcon from Lando...

Coming out of the film, I was pleasantly surprised. I had some things that I was not super impressed by (in the spoilers) BUT overall I thought it was really enjoyable and I think I'm going to go again this week to really solidify my thoughts on it. It was not perfect, you could see a lot of things coming if you've seen the other films but it had a lot of merit to it.

The cast was diverse, the soundtrack was well done (what Star Wars film isn't though?), the visuals were really great and the humour was typical. 

I'd give it a solid 75-80/100. I'll likely cement my score after another viewing. 

Now onto the nitty gritty: 

Spoiler

#2 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

The movie felt empty.

#3 Bee

Bee
  • 1169 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:55 PM

I saw it today and really enjoyed it, although I had actively tried to avoid watching trailers and reading about it so I had no expectations going in. I also feel the story did not need telling but Disney's gotta milk that Star Wars cow somehow before it runs dry.

Spoiler

#4 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:53 AM

I saw it today and really enjoyed it, although I had actively tried to avoid watching trailers and reading about it so I had no expectations going in. I also feel the story did not need telling but Disney's gotta milk that Star Wars cow somehow before it runs dry.

Spoiler

HER EYEBROWS ARE SO INCREDIBLE from GoT to this, ugh.

The movie felt empty.

Fair.

#5 Popplio

Popplio
  • 25 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

I saw it. Honestly, it seemed like a lot of fanservice.

My boyfriend really REALLY likes Star Wars so he loved it, but I felt like there wasn't much substance or importance in the actual story.

It wasn't like it revealed anything momentous. I dunno. It was mediocre.

#6 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:09 AM

I saw it. Honestly, it seemed like a lot of fanservice.

My boyfriend really REALLY likes Star Wars so he loved it, but I felt like there wasn't much substance or importance in the actual story.

It wasn't like it revealed anything momentous. I dunno. It was mediocre.

More or less fanservice than Rogue One?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solo, star wars, ron howard, qira is bae, adam hates bae, baenana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users