• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:14 AM

@Jess just told me about a really neat app called Dminder. It lets you track how available vitamin D is, solar noon and UVI. Being as sick as I am, I often have trouble getting outside, especially in the summer because heat makes me very ill and at risk of passing out or worse. I found out in April my vitamin D was horrifyingly low lol. ANYWAYS, I use apps to keep track of my medications, exercise routine, my heart rate, blood pressure, other health stuff and life in general. I'm really picky about the apps I use. I've been looking for a good one to use to manage my household chores - including the seasonal ones or less frequent ones like changing the air filter, etc. I tried something called Our Home and it was pretty diverse but you had to program each task which got overwhelming so I gave up on it.

What are some mobile apps you use to help you stay organized? Have any recommendations for chore apps? Do you use any cool health-related apps?

#2 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:29 PM

*follows* I need whatever you guys use in my life.

Ummmmm I use the FitBit app for exercise, food, water, and sleep tracking. It also tracks heart rate but not blood pressure or glucose levels I think. I never explored it to see if it has an area for those.

I use a physical hourly planner to keep track of chores, things to do, bills to be paid, when I did laundry, etc. I have a weekly planner that I'm going to use to make short notes about each day because there isn't any space in the hourly planner for that. The ones I have are from Blue Sky and they are absolutely adorable. I got mini functional stickers off Etsy, and colour coding dots off Amazon, and I found that works for me. I tried with using the Memo on my phone, I tried using those To Do apps way back when I got my first iPod Touch. I would just forget to open the app, and it wouldn't send any reminders on the screen telling me to do stuff. The physical stuff that I can see on my desk/couch/bed/floor are easier to remember. Sorry that entire paragraph is not helpful :(

I started taking a set of supplements in hopes of helping with some stuff, but I never remember to take them. I'd love to know what you use to remind you to take medication.

I have used the alarm clock feature on my phone to remind me to do stuff, but I never got around to setting it up for meds. I could do that because it also shows a message on the screen for whatever the alarm is for.

The main thing about apps is that I completely forget about them. I need something that gets all up in my face.

#3 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:33 PM

So I've tried a couple apps, but either I get caught up making reminders that are too granular and I get discouraged or distracted before full implementation. Also I get bored of projects easily, so...... *not helpful*

When it comes to larger reminders, I've recently started having success with a therapist and a note to self. Usually while recapping the week I'll remember things that I have to remember for the upcoming week. It gets immediately committed to a thick piece of fluorescent index card that pops visually and also stands out in my pocket, serving as a secondary reminder. This is probably the least cost effective solution you will ever receive unless you have great insurance... XD

The physical stuff that I can see on my desk/couch/bed/floor are easier to remember.

I started taking a set of supplements in hopes of helping with some stuff, but I never remember to take them. I'd love to know what you use to remind you to take medication.

The main thing about apps is that I completely forget about them. I need something that gets all up in my face.

Sounds like you need one of these physical reminders:

623_large_image.jpg

#4 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:40 PM

So I've tried a couple apps, but either I get caught up making reminders that are too granular and I get discouraged or distracted before full implementation. Also I get bored of projects easily, so...... *not helpful*

When it comes to larger reminders, I've recently started having success with a therapist and a note to self. Usually while recapping the week I'll remember things that I have to remember for the upcoming week. It gets immediately committed to a thick piece of fluorescent index card that pops visually and also stands out in my pocket, serving as a secondary reminder. This is probably the least cost effective solution you will ever receive unless you have great insurance... XD

623_large_image.jpg

That would actually be perfect! I've only seen the weekly Morning/Night ones. Excuse me while I go did this up on Amazon :o Thanks a bunch!

#5 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:13 AM

Ummmmm I use the FitBit app for exercise, food, water, and sleep tracking. It also tracks heart rate but not blood pressure or glucose levels I think. I never explored it to see if it has an area for those.

I use a physical hourly planner to keep track of chores, things to do, bills to be paid, when I did laundry, etc. I have a weekly planner that I'm going to use to make short notes about each day because there isn't any space in the hourly planner for that. The ones I have are from Blue Sky and they are absolutely adorable. I got mini functional stickers off Etsy, and colour coding dots off Amazon, and I found that works for me. I tried with using the Memo on my phone, I tried using those To Do apps way back when I got my first iPod Touch. I would just forget to open the app, and it wouldn't send any reminders on the screen telling me to do stuff. The physical stuff that I can see on my desk/couch/bed/floor are easier to remember. Sorry that entire paragraph is not helpful :(

I have used the alarm clock feature on my phone to remind me to do stuff, but I never got around to setting it up for meds. I could do that because it also shows a message on the screen for whatever the alarm is for.

I use the webmd app for meds. It sends me an alert whenever it's time to take one and tells me which one to take. Then you go check it off when you do it.

#6 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:48 AM

For big things like work, holidays, planned dinners etc we use the Calendar app so we're both synced with each other's schedules. That helps a ton, and also a backup physical calendar on the fridge. The fridge calendar we sometimes use for meals if I mange to get any meal planning done.

I can't use any other apps for life related to do lists.. it's never seemed to work for me. I'm the same as @Ladida I think, I forget to look at my phone and the list in the first place! I mostly use a bullet journal to keep track of things that need doing and minor events that would normally slip my mind. I think writing it down helps me remember so much better. I like that the bujo is customisable and I can make my own pages and layouts to help me remember or track stuff.

Chores get done when I see them or when I think about it.. all the important stuff like dishes and laundry get done every other day but cleaning is the one that is just random whenever I get time or the itch to clean. Maybe an app would help me remember what needs doing lol.

I do use Fitbit for my step and sleep tracking, I have an Alta that I wear all the time. Although I haven't really looked at the data for ages.. We also have one of those nice digital scales that sync with the Fitbit app to keep track of our weight. 

#7 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:20 AM

I much prefer physical reminders like pen and paper lists/calendars for reminders. I love the tactility of it, despite how oddly in contrast it is to my usual technological bent :)

#8 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:55 AM

I love the idea of using functional stickers for a physical planner. I do have a planner that I update once a month with all my doctors appointments (notes about what I need to ask my doc, times, dates, med refills, etc). I agree physical reminders are more in your face and when I was less bed bound than I've been this last month that worked for me somewhat. I definitely need something that gets up in my fucking face too lmao. I have a tendency to kind of forget. But I find the process of setting up apps, or planners, etc is cathartic and relaxing, so at least there's that. 

623_large_image.jpg

The index card is actually a great idea! I might do that and just keep them posted around my bed.

I avoid pill containers since I use controlled substances and I have to lug my meds around frequently to appointments (it's illegal to have controlled substances out of their original prescription bottles - and you can lose pain management over it). One of the things I did get that does help with at least keeping track of when I last took my pain meds is a press timer that is attached to the lid of my pill bottle. It just is timer that resets whenever you open the bottle again. I think it was like $5 off Amazon or something. I wanna get a couple more for the meds I only take a couple times a week (those are the ones I end up forgetting).

For big things like work, holidays, planned dinners etc we use the Calendar app so we're both synced with each other's schedules. That helps a ton, and also a backup physical calendar on the fridge. The fridge calendar we sometimes use for meals if I mange to get any meal planning done.

I can't use any other apps for life related to do lists.. it's never seemed to work for me. I'm the same as @Ladida I think, I forget to look at my phone and the list in the first place! I mostly use a bullet journal to keep track of things that need doing and minor events that would normally slip my mind. I think writing it down helps me remember so much better. I like that the bujo is customisable and I can make my own pages and layouts to help me remember or track stuff.

Chores get done when I see them or when I think about it.. all the important stuff like dishes and laundry get done every other day but cleaning is the one that is just random whenever I get time or the itch to clean. Maybe an app would help me remember what needs doing lol.

I do use Fitbit for my step and sleep tracking, I have an Alta that I wear all the time. Although I haven't really looked at the data for ages.. We also have one of those nice digital scales that sync with the Fitbit app to keep track of our weight. 

You should post pics of your journals if you're comfortable! They really are like works of art haha. 

I have an Alta I used for my heart rate, but then I stopped and now I just use a pulse ox and take pictures of my measurements for my doc lol. I should really charge that thing and put it back on tho because it was great for tracking how much I was walking and stuff.

I use the webmd app for meds. It sends me an alert whenever it's time to take one and tells me which one to take. Then you go check it off when you do it.

Oh yeah you told me about that one like... forever ago. I think I installed it and didn't like the interface because it loaded so slow. I'll have to check it out again.

I much prefer physical reminders like pen and paper lists/calendars for reminders. I love the tactility of it, despite how oddly in contrast it is to my usual technological bent :)

Me too actually, but I keep losing my lists and stuff. lmao.

#9 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:06 PM

I use fitbit to track sleep (way too little) and to help remind me to be more active if possible; also fitbit is getting way deeper into the health realm. They are talking about tracking menstrual cycles (obviously as an opt in thing) and then correlating it with your sleep/diet/exercise. They have lots of other cool future health things in the works. I also used MyFitness pal for a while, since it is an incredibly easy way to track what you are eating. And I think everyone, no matter your current weight or future goals, should track food for a while, just to understand better and be more cognizant of what you are eating. I use the calendar app, but not for most events. I like to put in when a friend gets married or something, and set a yearly reminder so I can wish them a happy anniversary. But for normal things I prefer using a physical planner.

#10 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:45 PM

I use fitbit to track sleep (way too little) and to help remind me to be more active if possible; also fitbit is getting way deeper into the health realm. They are talking about tracking menstrual cycles (obviously as an opt in thing) and then correlating it with your sleep/diet/exercise. They have lots of other cool future health things in the works. I also used MyFitness pal for a while, since it is an incredibly easy way to track what you are eating. And I think everyone, no matter your current weight or future goals, should track food for a while, just to understand better and be more cognizant of what you are eating. I use the calendar app, but not for most events. I like to put in when a friend gets married or something, and set a yearly reminder so I can wish them a happy anniversary. But for normal things I prefer using a physical planner.

Yeah I did that with MFP. I tracked what I ate for a couple months and have been able to make a diet that fits my specific health needs. Now I just use MFP to track my weight since it has my weight in it from over the last couple years. I agree it's really easy to use and also agree everyone should track once for at least a couple weeks to see what their general eating habits are.

#11 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:43 PM

I actually use a TON of apps but I'll try to focus on only the ones that I actually use...

Asana - Use it to organize all my tasks which you can separate into projects and share these projects with people (share my home list with my partner, share my work tasks with a coworker, etc.)

Gardenia - To track my plants, how to take care of them and general gardening stuff.

YNAB (You need a budget) - I use this for budgeting, it is really different from any other budgeting app that I have used before and I really enjoy it. I've saved a lot of money from using this app. It focuses on the money you actually have right now as opposed to what you *should* have each month.

Kyo - It's a journalling app, that's what I use it for. I don't always keep up with it because I go back and forth between paper and app but it's great for on the go.

There are more on my phone but these seem the most relevant atm :) 

#12 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2018 - 05:12 PM

I used an app called ‘Lose it!’ when I was dieting. Helped me get down to 118 pounds. It’s not very fancy, because I’m old and dislike fancy technology, but it does the job. I can look at almost every type of meal/food in my everyday diet and know a rough calorie estimate to this day. Very useful in keeping me mindful about what I eat.

#13 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:55 PM

Not really for organization but Buycott - I just heard about this one the other day. You choose which causes you're interested in. When you go to buy things, you can scan the barcode and see if the product/company conflicts with these causes. Then, you can make an informed decision about whether you want to buy it or find a substitute. 

PictureThis - You can take a photo of a plant and it will help you identify what it is. Been pretty spot on so far. Helps me keep my plants together in my head at least, haha. 

Clue - I use this for period tracking because I always lose track of when I'm going to get it. 

Pacer - This is just what I use to keep track of my steps, but I think Apple has a step tracking feature now in the Health app. 

#14 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:13 PM

Not really for organization but Buycott - I just heard about this one the other day. You choose which causes you're interested in. When you go to buy things, you can scan the barcode and see if the product/company conflicts with these causes. Then, you can make an informed decision about whether you want to buy it or find a substitute. 

Wow I love this concept a lot! I'll definitely be using it, but wow are these informed decisions going to be hard. Companies like Nestle already rule so goddamn much of the food world

#15 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:02 AM

Yeah, I didn't know about buycott either. Everything changes hands so fast I'm losing track of who owns what. Thanks @Emily

#16 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:31 PM

Monefy - I use this to keep track of my incomings and  outgoings. It's not really a budgeting tool, but can be used as one. I started using it to see just where money was escaping to so that I could improve the amount I saved.

Charity Miles - Ok, I don't really use this because it needs GPS but I thought it's a nice idea. Money is donated based on the distance you walk/jog/run/bike. I think biking is included.

FitBit with the Walgreens Balance Rewards - You earn points for every mile walked, and then that's converted into actual money that can be spent at Walgreens. I can't use it but I like earning it and seeing it, even if I'll never be able to buy anything :p

#17 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:55 AM

Just started using a handy little app called Devoir. It helps keep your household chores in order, reminding you to do them in whatever length of intervals you’d like. For instance, I have a reminder to vaccuum my floor set to notify me every seven days. Super helpful and it’s actually helped me stay on top of things since it’s so satisfying to check things off my list. There are ads, but they’re a fairly small banner at the bottom of your screen and if they annoy you enough, they only cost $0.99 to remove.

#18 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:21 PM

Just started using a handy little app called Devoir. It helps keep your household chores in order, reminding you to do them in whatever length of intervals you’d like. For instance, I have a reminder to vaccuum my floor set to notify me every seven days. Super helpful and it’s actually helped me stay on top of things since it’s so satisfying to check things off my list. There are ads, but they’re a fairly small banner at the bottom of your screen and if they annoy you enough, they only cost $0.99 to remove.

Bless you, I needed this. 

I've been trying to find a really great app for sorting this stuff and I enjoy their layout!!!

#19 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:32 PM

Bless you, I needed this. 

I've been trying to find a really great app for sorting this stuff and I enjoy their layout!!!

Right? I scrolled endlessly through the app store finding a bunch of paid apps before I stumbled upon this one. So straight-forward and simple!

#20 scornty

scornty
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:36 AM

I've actually found email apps very useful for notes since you can make a Draft anywhere and it will automatically save and you can access it from any browser. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users