Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:52 AM

Buzzfeed is the only true and honest news source out there. /s

Oh shit I've been relying on Fox no wonder

#102 NotAPenize3000

NotAPenize3000
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:00 AM

Got a 27/100. Lower than expected, but growing up non-Christian and non-cishet in Buttfuck Hicksville will do that I guess,

#103 Bendida

Bendida
  • 354 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:10 PM

Hm. I got 71 :) :) that's funny, because being from Eastern Europe doesn't exactly give you privilege in the Western world, quite the opposite. But I'm not religious at all, so most of the questions about the religion were impossible to be answered correctly, obviously the author of the quizz didn't think there are atheists in this world :) And quite a few questions were too American for me, there are no analogues in my world.

#104 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:14 PM

But I'm not religious at all, so most of the questions about the religion were impossible to be answered correctly, obviously the author of the quizz didn't think there are atheists in this world :)

I answered as if atheism was my religion. Not totally accurate as interpretations go, but atheism is a viewpoint on religion so I think it counts. It certainly fits the criteria from the perspective of the quiz, especially living in the bible belt as I do.

#105 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:46 PM

I answered as if atheism was my religion. Not totally accurate as interpretations go, but atheism is a viewpoint on religion so I think it counts. It certainly fits the criteria from the perspective of the quiz, especially living in the bible belt as I do.

I did this too.

#106 Realisticerror

Realisticerror
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:54 PM

50/100, what a weird experience that was "I am a man."

I answered as if atheism was my religion.

Atheism is technically a religion I believe? seems ok to answer as if it were.

#107 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:38 AM

Atheism is technically a religion I believe? seems ok to answer as if it were.

I mean... not at all. But it served a purpose to treat it as such for the quiz.

#108 Bendida

Bendida
  • 354 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:50 AM

I don't remember the exact question but it doesn't apply to those asking of your place of worship, signs or manifestation of your religion. You just don't go around with any sign identifying you as an atheist so technically nobody knows and cannot oppress you based on that. Same goes for temples. That's what I meant. No, I wasn't treated badly because of my "religion" just because nobody knew I'm not "one of them". But yeah, I assume that if you live in a smaller place where people know each other a lot more and you're in a very religious society and they notice you don't go to church, it may apply. I cannot think of a country in Europe though where the situation is similar.

#109 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:13 AM

I don't remember the exact question but it doesn't apply to those asking of your place of worship, signs or manifestation of your religion. You just don't go around with any sign identifying you as an atheist so technically nobody knows and cannot oppress you based on that. Same goes for temples. That's what I meant. No, I wasn't treated badly because of my "religion" just because nobody knew I'm not "one of them". But yeah, I assume that if you live in a smaller place where people know each other a lot more and you're in a very religious society and they notice you don't go to church, it may apply. I cannot think of a country in Europe though where the situation is similar.

If you think feeling like you have to hide your beliefs isn't oppression, then you are incorrect. Talking to the wrong person about my non-belief would potentially put a lot of things in my life at risk.

Sure, I'm not getting crucified for being a Christian in an Islamic country, but it definitely affects my life.

#110 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:34 AM

No, but here in southern buttfuck US, it's very common for "what church to you go to" used as a conversation opener, praying over food at totally random events, and getting told to 'look to jesus' when your life's getting screwed up. In a town of under 1k, it's very easy to determine who's Christian and who isn't and it affects what cliques develop, both in children and adults. I don't know any Christian religion that hangs out with a sign either, aside from Westboro, but it IS the predominant religion in the US regardless.
Oh, yeah, and trying to explain to people that you're an animist makes them think you're mentally incompetent, so there's that too.

#111 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:44 AM

No, but here in southern buttfuck US, it's very common for "what church to you go to" used as a conversation opener, praying over food at totally random events, and getting told to 'look to jesus' when your life's getting screwed up. In a town of under 1k, it's very easy to determine who's Christian and who isn't and it affects what cliques develop, both in children and adults. I don't know any Christian religion that hangs out with a sign either, aside from Westboro, but it IS the predominant religion in the US regardless.
Oh, yeah, and trying to explain to people that you're an animist makes them think you're mentally incompetent, so there's that too.

We moved to this house like 18 months ago, but I'm always "still looking for a new church family" or whatever if someone asks :p

#112 Bendida

Bendida
  • 354 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:06 AM

That's why I said the test is too American. You don't see these things in Europe if you're an atheist. I don't think that even in Russia, where things are going in a similar direction, the situation is dangerous for an atheist. You don't hide you're an atheist, just nobody cares to ask. I can't think of a single situation where it's appropriate, common or interesting for anybody to ask about your religion.

On the other hand, if somebody just assumes you're Muslim, you can be discriminated. In my country, where Turkey is one of our southern neighbours and we've been part of the Ottoman empire for about five centuries, Muslim minority is the biggest of all and we've had it like forever. There were some disgraceful periods and actions against Muslims during the communist regime but overall people lived together quire peacefully. Now, thanks to all the neo-nazi, nationalistic and anti-immigrant movement the situation is getting bad. So being a Muslim, sometimes even being a Jew (the irony being that during WWII the elite, the Church and the people stood up and made the government refuse to send our Jews in camps in Germany or wherever, kept them here and saved them) makes you in a position of being discriminated and/or oppressed. Being atheist is absolutely safe. I can totally understand what you're saying about the position of the atheist in the communities you described but it's so different here that the basics don't apply and some questions of the test are not relevant. I'm not saying it's not valid, not saying you're not oppressed or discriminated in your situation, don't get me wrong, I'm only saying it's relative and depends in what part of the world you live in. Heck, being an atheist in Saudi Arabia for example will get you a death sentence - and that's a country with a seat in the UN Human Rights Council...

#113 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:09 AM

That's why I said the test is too American. You don't see these things in Europe if you're an atheist. I don't think that even in Russia, where things are going in a similar direction, the situation is dangerous for an atheist. You don't hide you're an atheist, just nobody cares to ask. I can't think of a single situation where it's appropriate, common or interesting for anybody to ask about your religion.
On the other hand, if somebody just assumes you're Muslim, you can be discriminated. In my country, where Turkey is one of our southern neighbours and we've been part of the Ottoman empire for about five centuries, Muslim minority is the biggest of all and we've had it like forever. There were some disgraceful periods and actions against Muslims during the communist regime but overall people lived together quire peacefully. Now, thanks to all the neo-nazi, nationalistic and anti-immigrant movement the situation is getting bad. So being a Muslim, sometimes even being a Jew (the irony being that during WWII the elite, the Church and the people stood up and made the government refuse to send our Jews in camps in Germany or wherever, kept them here and saved them) makes you in a position of being discriminated and/or oppressed. Being atheist is absolutely safe. I can totally understand what you're saying about the position of the atheist in the communities you described but it's so different here that the basics don't apply and some questions of the test are not relevant. I'm not saying it's not valid, not saying you're not oppressed or discriminated in your situation, don't get me wrong, I'm only saying it's relative and depends in what part of the world you live in. Heck, being an atheist in Saudi Arabia for example will get you a death sentence - and that's a country with a seat in the UN Human Rights Council...

I mean, the questions still apply - just the answer is "no" for an atheist in your country :p

#114 Bendida

Bendida
  • 354 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:45 PM

That's what I did. But I don't agree they apply. :)

#115 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:12 PM

That's what I did. But I don't agree they apply. :)

Is privilege a popular concept in general where you live?

#116 Trinket

Trinket
  • Peen of the Quorygons

• 95 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:00 PM

JmHGl2M.png

I love buzzfeed quizzes tbh, I do them in a discord channel with a few friends and we have a giggle over the results

#117 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:10 AM

You live with 19 out of 100 points of privilege.

You're underprivileged. The world is not a fair or ideal place and you know that because you grew up with several identities that the world is not kind to. You had a lot of challenges to overcome simply to get on a level playing field with most people in the world. It is not your job to educate the world about its injustices, but if you choose to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.

#118 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:31 AM

You live with 19 out of 100 points of privilege.

You're underprivileged. The world is not a fair or ideal place and you know that because you grew up with several identities that the world is not kind to. You had a lot of challenges to overcome simply to get on a level playing field with most people in the world. It is not your job to educate the world about its injustices, but if you choose to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.

How did you manage that? o.o

#119 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:43 AM

How did you manage that? o.o

I don't know, I just answered the questions lol I was surprised more people didn't have low numbers like this. But I'm a mixed race, pansexual, atheist, that grew up poor. 

#120 Bendida

Bendida
  • 354 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:25 AM

Is privilege a popular concept in general where you live?

I'm not sure I understand the question - I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by  "popular concept", could you please elaborate a bit?

#121 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:27 AM

I'm not sure I understand the question - I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by "popular concept", could you please elaborate a bit?

Sure. I can't turn on Facebook without seeing and article someone's shared about priveledge in some way. Same for twitter, etc. Buzzfeed talks about it often and every news article I've looked at today has dissolved in a priveledge debate, even in stuff that (to me) seems unrelated to priveledge. It's a popular thing to talk about.

#122 Bendida

Bendida
  • 354 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:41 AM

Sure. I can't turn on Facebook without seeing and article someone's shared about priveledge in some way. Same for twitter, etc. Buzzfeed talks about it often and every news article I've looked at today has dissolved in a priveledge debate, even in stuff that (to me) seems unrelated to priveledge. It's a popular thing to talk about.

Oh, I see. No, it's plain right never mentioned anywhere, apart from talking about countries like Syria or Somalia and saying we're privileged to live in peaceful Europe and have something to eat. I don't know if that's related at all to the topic but my country is the poorest member of EU and more than 50% of the population lives under the "threshold of poverty" as they say here.

#123 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:25 PM

Oh, I see. No, it's plain right never mentioned anywhere, apart from talking about countries like Syria or Somalia and saying we're privileged to live in peaceful Europe and have something to eat. I don't know if that's related at all to the topic but my country is the poorest member of EU and more than 50% of the population lives under the "threshold of poverty" as they say here.

Thank you for the information! Yeah, it seems like the privilege I hear a lot about now is a lot more in depth and complex than the "there's starving people in Africa so eat your food" priviledge stereotype from my childhood.

#124 Bendida

Bendida
  • 354 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2018 - 04:52 AM

Thank you for the information! Yeah, it seems like the privilege I hear a lot about now is a lot more in depth and complex than the "there's starving people in Africa so eat your food" priviledge stereotype from my childhood.

Definitely. And it totally depends on the society you live in. I can positively state that ours is still immature and delves into its own problems, more similar to the third-world than to the first-world problems so the focus is different. Also, we're not very exposed to the issues that spark discussion and awareness about the privileges. Not only our society is more homogeneous, it also tends to completely isolate the (minority) groups it has problems with (in our cases - the gypsies), thus avoiding contact with them and it shuts its eyes about the potential problems that have to be solved. Moreover, during the communist regime religion was de facto banned. So people are not very religious and even if they are, it's the orthodox church, it's not the same as the catholic or protestant, here the church was never before the state, it just doesn't have the same influence and impact in everyday life. So the whole background is very different than the one in the United States and the notion of privilege has a different context here. Not that global issues are not valid, just the nuances change the whole perception of the theme.

Let me give you an example :) Team France won FIFA World Cup and the majority of the team were people whose parents or grand-parents came from African countries (so they are black) but they are French, they are born in France and their nationality is French. So, France is in the Westernmost part of Europe, my country is in the Easternmost and my country didn't even participate in the Cup and still a lot of people deemed right to joke about the colour of the French players and state those people are Africans and not real Frenchmen and saying all kind of nasty things. I've got friends from France, they doesn't have a problem with the origins and the colour of the players and consider them Frenchmen. But my compatriots don't. And it's not even their country, not their business but they fervently argue about it. So being black in France may not make you as unprivileged (mind you, French people have a lot of issues with foreigners) as being black in my country. Being gay in Western Europe may not be a problem, being gay in my country could literally put your life in danger. Being woman in the States may mean you're unprivileged in one way, being woman here means on top of everything else you're mostly not protected by the law when in comes to domestic violence, and domestic violence is huge problem, studies say one of every three women is a victim (and we know there are a lot more cases nobody hears of because the victims never admit), in recent months there were six cases of women killed by their partners (we're a country of 7 millions) etc. Still, those problems are not in the agenda of the society at all.

Sorry about the long post :)

#125 Doodles

Doodles
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:33 PM

I got a 52. Not bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users