• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Coops

Coops
  • šŸŒ§ļøšŸŒ©ļøšŸŒ§ļø

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:03 PM

What are your phobias? Disclaimer: if you post photos/gifs/videos of another person's phobia (after they've announced it), please just spoiler it out of respect. Personally, photos don't set my phobias off more than a lil flutter but others may experience full-blown panic if unexpectedly confronted by their phobias. Obviously, we can't control every part of the world and internet, but we can here so just please be mindful of your fellow codexians. <3

I have a mild thalassophobia. It used to be a lot worse. Specifically, for me, it isn't about the ocean itself, but like the deep dark underwater. When I first bought Ark the game, I couldn't dive in the game at all. I actually used the game Subnautica as a type of exposure therapy. I still get a bit sweaty when I dive deep in that game and sometimes I get a bit anxious from it lol. In real life, I can't swim very far out from the shore without becoming anxious. It is worse if I can't see (I've lost glasses to the ocean before bc I refuse to go in the water without seeing and contacts aren't an option). Now I like looking at pictures of deep dark water and reading about the ocean even though my heart beats a little faster.

My other phobia is cockroaches which really sucks. This one is significantly more intense and I have had full-blown panic attacks from this one. It's so dumb because I know they are necessary for the ecosystem and I know they are harmless, but they are so uncomfortably disturbing, and I have a visceral reaction to them lol. This one actually used to be pretty mild and got significantly worse when my autonomic dysfunction got worse, which is so weird to me, because it's not like I had any traumatic events. It's just like one day the phobia was magnified by 100.

So tell me about yours, if you want!

#2 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:29 PM

Cockroaches are pretty gross.

I hate heights. The only time I can imagine coming close to a panic attack from it was when I was in a greyhound and the bus was at this weird curve on this multilevel highway and it looked like we were leaning over the edge and I looked out my window and I all I saw was the highway below and the fall to my death. I swear that bus was leaning right over the edge. I break out into a sweat just thinking about it. I hate heights and I donā€™t understand how people are okay with flying, or driving along a mountainside, or whatever else.

I also have an irrational fear of things falling on my head. Like you know when thereā€™s a construction site and you have to walk through the designated tunnel on the sidewalk? That freaks me out and I will cross the street every single time.

#3 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:36 AM

I've got Apiphobia. Bees give me the heebie jeebies.

#4 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:44 AM

What are your phobias? Disclaimer: if you post photos/gifs/videos of another person's phobia (after they've announced it), please just spoiler it out of respect. Personally, photos don't set my phobias off more than a lil flutter but others may experience full-blown panic if unexpectedly confronted by their phobias. Obviously, we can't control every part of the world and internet, but we can here so just please be mindful of your fellow codexians. <3

I have a mild thalassophobia. It used to be a lot worse. Specifically, for me, it isn't about the ocean itself, but like the deep dark underwater. When I first bought Ark the game, I couldn't dive in the game at all. I actually used the game Subnautica as a type of exposure therapy. I still get a bit sweaty when I dive deep in that game and sometimes I get a bit anxious from it lol. In real life, I can't swim very far out from the shore without becoming anxious. It is worse if I can't see (I've lost glasses to the ocean before bc I refuse to go in the water without seeing and contacts aren't an option). Now I like looking at pictures of deep dark water and reading about the ocean even though my heart beats a little faster.

My other phobia is cockroaches which really sucks. This one is significantly more intense and I have had full-blown panic attacks from this one. It's so dumb because I know they are necessary for the ecosystem and I know they are harmless, but they are so uncomfortably disturbing, and I have a visceral reaction to them lol. This one actually used to be pretty mild and got significantly worse when my autonomic dysfunction got worse, which is so weird to me, because it's not like I had any traumatic events. It's just like one day the phobia was magnified by 100.

So tell me about yours, if you want!

You should try Subnautica in VR. I don't have much more than a tinge of thalassophobia (it's not really phobic - deep dark water is legitimately scary and dangerous :p) but that game scares the ever-living crap out of me :D

#5 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:28 AM

I'm terrified that I'll be cleaning out my ear with a q tip behind a closed door and someone will open the door, hit my elbow, and rupture my eardrum with the q tip.

#6 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:32 AM

I'm terrified that I'll be cleaning out my ear with a q tip behind a closed door and someone will open the door, hit my elbow, and rupture my eardrum with the q tip.

I've deafened one ear with a q-tip by compacting earwax instead of cleaning it out. Ain't no joke.

#7 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:10 AM

My specific greatest phobia is being locked in a room with a decomposing corpse with no way to escape. 

Thanks DDLC for putting my one specific fear in your game.

I'm also terrified of drowning and suffocation. To the point where I will not swim in a body of water bigger than a pool. 

I got a pretty severe case of agoraphobia to the point where I won't leave my house unless forced.

#8 Coops

Coops
  • šŸŒ§ļøšŸŒ©ļøšŸŒ§ļø

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:41 PM

You should try Subnautica in VR. I don't have much more than a tinge of thalassophobia (it's not really phobic - deep dark water is legitimately scary and dangerous :p) but that game scares the ever-living crap out of me :D

I think I'll not do that though because I would die. The first time I hit the edge of the map I almost died from fear lmaoo.

I think about these types of scenarios so much. Whenever I'm trimming Toast's hair, I am terrified someone or another cat will bump into my and I'll accidentally buzz off all his whiskers. Or when I get out of the shower, I worry that I will catch my foot on the edge of the tub, fall forward, hit my face on the bathroom sink and die naked.

#9 Ghartun

Ghartun
  • 233 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:44 PM

I have a phobia of people who go online and say they have 400 different types of phobias without not even knowing how horrible a phobia really is. Trypophobics I'm looking at you. Anyways, I have arachnophobia since I can remember and spiders are one of the few things that will make me cry and scream for help like a terrified kid... Sadly spiders are rly hard to avoid online...

That happened to my sister once x-x

#10 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:52 PM

I have a phobia of people who go online and say they have 400 different types of phobias without not even knowing how horrible a phobia really is. Trypophobics I'm looking at you. Anyways, I have arachnophobia since I can remember and spiders are one of the few things that will make me cry and scream for help like a terrified kid... Sadly spiders are rly hard to avoid online...

That happened to my sister once x-x

So it's a realistic concern!

I'm also terrified of drowning and suffocation. To the point where I will not swim in a body of water bigger than a pool.

I got a pretty severe case of agoraphobia to the point where I won't leave my house unless forced.

I did a numerology/astrology thing that said I'm more likely to die if water is involved, so I avoid it. I'm not really phobic of it though, I don't think, I'm just not ready to die yet.

#11 Shannon

Shannon
  • šŸ’¦šŸŒŗ water type ā™“āœØ

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:03 PM

This is a strange one, I guess, but I'm incredibly afraid of hippos lol. They're just so fucking ugly and slimy and seeing them and their nasty teeth up close at an exhibit once completely freaked me out. Hearing stories about them fucking up other large animals and people only makes it worse.

I adore the ocean and almost everything about it but nothing scares me more than the prospect of drowning while I'm diving. My air tank's valve wasn't completely screwed open on a dive a couple of weeks ago and I didn't realize until I was 100 feet down barely able to breathe. Really frightening but I'm glad my dive buddy realized my mistake quickly and fixed it right up. The thought of something similar happening without such a lucky outcome makes me queasy, for sure.

I'm also really shaken up by suffocation, but that phobia has been getting better as I learn how to talk myself through my fears more.

#12 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:55 PM

I have an irrational fear of spiders, I understand it's irrational but I can't help but panic when I see them.

I am afraid of heights, I don't like stepping on a ladder or being near the edge of a cliff. If we're hiking near steep drops I can't have anyone close to me.

I also greatly dislike/fear clowns.

#13 jaredyne

jaredyne
  • 1115 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:37 AM

I have haemophobia. Does that count? Blood makes me faint... dang syncope responses

#14 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:22 AM

I have an irrational fear of spiders, I understand it's irrational but I can't help but panic when I see them.

same @Rocket house spiders are the worst for me I can deal with slower ones but give me a house spider running at me full pelt and I run the other way.

#15 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:07 AM

I don't understand phobias, but i have them. I am stupidly scared of grasshoppers, although I have a great dislike for [most] all creepy crawlies. Heights also raise the blood pressure quite a lot, but i don't know if it would count as phobia... 

#16 NotAPenize3000

NotAPenize3000
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:18 AM

I have pretty bad ichthyophobia. Makes going to pet stores a right pain in the rear, let me tell you.

#17 Mew

Mew
  • 626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:29 AM

For me it's heights. It's weird because sometimes I can be fine with being high up, for example, I like exploring castle's and I'm normally fine walking around the walls. Sometimes however my head just goes and I have an overwhelming need to sit or lay down and make myself as big as possible. Happened once on a school trip at the top of Lincoln castle. Being high up in any kind of urban environment or built up area sets me off every time. I go light headed and dizzy, feel sick, start sweating all over and start breathing rapidly. Normally if i can hold onto something and start going downwards it eases off fairly quickly otherwise I have to basically lay down and crawl. I hate it because it stops me from seeing sights I would love to see.

#18 Sylphe

Sylphe
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:27 PM

You might laugh because my phobia is quite a thing. It's all sound-related

I'm afraid of bottles who pop when opening (like champagne, some bottled beers, cider...) and I CAN'T be near balloons, cause I don't want them to pop just near me D:

#19 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:49 PM

So, thanks to the movie "The Fly" with the ever-wonderful Jeff Goldblum, I have an enduring problem with fingernails and toenails. I cannot stand to deal with any issues with them. I'm fine with them... as long as they're fine - as soon as you start to show me how you ripped one off on the couch leg or whatever I am out.

#20 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:35 AM

You might laugh because my phobia is quite a thing. It's all sound-related
I'm afraid of bottles who pop when opening (like champagne, some bottled beers, cider...) and I CAN'T be near balloons, cause I don't want them to pop just near me D:

Balloons give me serious anxiety. I don't keep them around either

#21 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:41 AM

I also have an irrational fear of things falling on my head. Like you know when thereā€™s a construction site and you have to walk through the designated tunnel on the sidewalk? That freaks me out and I will cross the street every single time.

Final Destination fucked me up lol I constantly fear "freak accidents". 

Also I have podophobia but I'm not afraid of the sight of feet at all. I just really can't handle someone touching me with their feet. I have come a long way but I used to really get irrationally upset about it. 

#22 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:43 AM

Final Destination fucked me up lol I constantly fear "freak accidents".

Well, you're fine unless you escaped a near-death experience :)

#23 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:47 AM

Well, you're fine unless you escaped a near-death experience :)

How do I know if I have or haven't though! In the movie they cheated death but I don't remember if they were always aware they had or not? I've been in car accidents, haemorrhaged after birth, and got lost on a dinky motorboat on the ocean over night during a severe storm with zero visibility, no gas, paddles, or lifejackets. That's my list.  

#24 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:51 AM

How do I know if I have or haven't though! In the movie they cheated death but I don't remember if they were always aware they had or not? I've been in car accidents, haemorrhaged after birth, and got lost on a dinky motorboat on the ocean over night during a severe storm with zero visibility, no gas, paddles, or lifejackets. That's my list.

I don't think I've seen all of them, but they were definitely aware they narrowly escaped death in the first two - plane crash and highway accident. It's gotta be multi-person affair, I think, otherwise Death just ain't that bothered by it.

#25 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:57 AM

Nononononononononono I tried playing subnautica and I had an anxiety attack the moment I got to the bottom of the starting place and it wasn't even that deep!!

It really sucks having thalassophobia when you live in a coastal town. I can't even count how many times I had to miss a party or a gathering because it involved a boat in the middle of the sea. I'm working on it though, a couple months ago I went on a boat and only panicked for the first 15 minutes lmao

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users