Just read on neoboards TNT is working on an anti-AB plan

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 fiasco817

fiasco817
  • 254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:44 AM

and that something is currently in the works, don't know how they can improve their autobuying detection since abrosia and other autobuyers can be made to look human, wonder what they are doing or if they are actually doing anything

#2 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:58 AM

Perhaps they'll add a you can only buy an item every x seconds/minutes? That's really the only way I can think of to stop an AB that looks human. 

#3 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 803 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 September 2018 - 01:27 PM

adding an actual captcha

#4 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 September 2018 - 02:03 PM

adding an actual captcha

Most likely this. After adding reCAPTCHA on userlookups I can't see any reason why they wouldn't add recaptcha on shop buys, in place of the "click the neopet" approach.

Neither way is unmitigatable, but reCAPTCHA is certainly harder to bypass.

#5 Cannabis

Cannabis
  • yungamerican

• 970 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:59 PM

Imma cry

#6 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:01 AM

The current method of finding the darkest pixel in the image (which works for 99.9% of cases) is by far the weakest capcha I've seen. Anything they implement now, will be more difficult than what they currently have in place.

But unfortunately id put my faith into reCAPCHA too... I wonder if neopets is aware of the percentage of users that use some sort of cheating software on their site - and making it impossible to cheat will actually hurt their traffic instead of improve it.

#7 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2018 - 04:42 PM

I feel like it would make restocking pretty janky if they used reCAPTCHA. We'll see if they care, I guess.

#8 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2018 - 05:36 PM

The current method of finding the darkest pixel in the image (which works for 99.9% of cases) is by far the weakest capcha I've seen. Anything they implement now, will be more difficult than what they currently have in place.

But unfortunately id put my faith into reCAPCHA too... I wonder if neopets is aware of the percentage of users that use some sort of cheating software on their site - and making it impossible to cheat will actually hurt their traffic instead of improve it.

The cheating community is like the silent majority. We're a huge portion of the site, but we're silent because we can't really say "HEY I CHEAT!" to them. So they're listening to the loud minority who hate cheating just because it's cheating. 

Problem with listening to the minority is that, as you said, their traffic will go down. Listening to the loud people only is never good. You'll satisfy them, but the majority of users will leave you. 

#9 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 803 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2018 - 06:52 PM

The cheating community is like the silent majority{{Citation needed}}. We're a huge portion of the site, but we're silent because we can't really say "HEY I CHEAT!" to them. So they're listening to the loud minority who hate cheating just because it's cheating. 

Problem with listening to the minority is that, as you said, their traffic will go down. Listening to the loud people only is never good. You'll satisfy them, but the majority of users will leave you. 

#10 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:59 AM

I'm pretty sure they already upped their detection.

I already got banned for ABing when I haven't done anything that I hadn't been doing for years already. 

#11 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:43 AM

The cheating community is like the silent majority{{Citation needed}}. We're a huge portion of the site, but we're silent because we can't really say "HEY I CHEAT!" to them. So they're listening to the loud minority who hate cheating just because it's cheating. 

"like". Means a simile, a comparison using like or as. Not a quote, so no citation needed. I'm simply comparing two things to each other. 

Definition of silent majority:

1. any group of people who are not outspoken and who are considered to constitute a majority.

We're a large portion of the community, (I'm going off Pyro here), but we're not outspoken with TNT about what cheating detection can do to the site. 

#12 Daviid

Daviid
  • 73 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:12 PM

It's going to be reCaptcha, just like the AC games.
TNT better get ready for the backlash, I can already see people complaining because they lost a TTear because captcha was wrong after selecting all the cars 3 times.

#13 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 803 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:05 PM

"like". Means a simile, a comparison using like or as. Not a quote, so no citation needed. I'm simply comparing two things to each other. 

Definition of silent majority:

We're a large portion of the community, (I'm going off Pyro here), but we're not outspoken with TNT about what cheating detection can do to the site. 

You're saying "we're a huge portion of the site", I doubt it. nothign to compare there.

#14 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:57 PM

You're saying "we're a huge portion of the site", I doubt it. nothign to compare there.

Neocodex and Clraik are the main remaining two cheating communities. Both combined is not very much, considering numbers have been down for both communities. There are definitely more legit players than cheaters.

Don't blame me! 

I went off of what Pyro said:

If stopping cheating would hurt the traffic, I assumed we're a large portion of the community. Usually if a few/small portion leave, yes traffic is hurt, but not too bad. Plus, saying of the percentage, does imply a large percent in my head. Why say if they're aware of the percentage of users if it's a small percent? If it's a small percent, what's the need to be aware of it?

#15 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:42 PM

I think you guys are forgetting all the people who cheat who aren't members of either community.

They either use programs and don't post, or make their own scripts and do what they want anyway.

#16 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 803 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:04 PM

I guess it all comes down to what you consider to be a huge part.

#17 Daviid

Daviid
  • 73 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:26 AM

If we have to stop cheating we'll just go back to being legit, I doubt anyone started neopets by cheating right off the bat.

Like the good old days.

Spoiler

#18 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:38 AM

If we have to stop cheating we'll just go back to being legit, I doubt anyone started neopets by cheating right off the bat.

Like the good old days.

Spoiler

I might stop playing. I hate the normal ways of Rsing and getting high scores. 

#19 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:04 AM

Like the good old days.

Spoiler

I would actually quit. Fuck playing legit in a system where you'll get banned regardless

#20 jaredyne

jaredyne
  • 1115 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:02 PM

If they get rid of ABers they'll be no buyers left on site lol

#21 BirdistheWord

BirdistheWord
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:13 PM

I feel like everyone's a cheater at this point, the only difference is that some are assholes who try to make themselves look legit by demanding TNT crack down on cheaters. This happened with the AC, then those same people were complaining afterwards lol. The only time in the history of neopets where expecting TNT not to do anything  actually backfired. 

#22 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:56 AM

Like the good old days.

Spoiler

Who got time for dat!!

I do get what your saying though and it would not be to much of an issue if the economy was fixed, restocking was more, more plots, refresh of the site in total so on and so on.  Is the site fixable yes, is what they are doing good yes but will they go the whole hog I dont think so its not profitable.

#23 Cannabis

Cannabis
  • yungamerican

• 970 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:00 PM

I'd still probably keep playing just not as much, not fun being poor on a child's website when youre poor in real life, I like being fake rich with my fake pixels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users