• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:27 AM

So I'm guessing most/all users have heard about the novel corona virus that has spread and is referred to by health organizations as the 'virus causing Covid-19' or by most media just as 'Covid-19'.

I want to open up a space here if people need to get anything off their chest, feel anxious af, have some great social distancing ideas (I think we all might be experts at this haha) or just anything related to this pandemic you want to get out. 

I'm currently in quarantine after being exposed and while I feel really healthy I know that could change at any point. 

So, what's happening in your country, city, etc? Let it out :) 

If you're looking for information please refer to the WHO or CDC. Facebook meme pages and Instagram influencers might not be wrong but it's best to go to the sources for info.

Stay safe  :nana:

#2 Esther

Esther
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 02:06 PM

I'm currently in quarantine after being exposed 

Are you scared at all? We're not quarantined, but we're more or less in self-drive isolation. We're in a place where it's being taken seriously, but not quite "lock it all down" level seriously as of now. Schools are closed, and restaurants are only supposed to do take out / delivery, that kind of thing. People here are still talking like it's going to be 2-3 weeks, but they're saying the peak may be 45 days or so away. 

#3 Popplio

Popplio
  • 25 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2020 - 02:56 PM

I am home from college because the big city I go to school in has it, and the rural small town I am from doesn't...yet. I managed to get home right after the first case was announced in the metro area.

It is nice to be home (and see my dog and hear from my friends more regularly) but holy cow people are driving me nuts. The area I live in is pretty split between people that are taking it seriously, and people that STILL think it is just a joke. 2 days ago one of my best friends flew to Florida with his parents. He is in a high risk group. He has asthma and gets pneumonia super easily. His parents think it is all an overreaction.

I'm perfectly fine hanging out by myself and working on my art, catching up on video games (New Horizons is out soon yay!), but my mother gets stir-crazy and we don't have the best relationship so I'm about ready to jump out of a window. I'm excited to get my PC set back up and start ABing again.

I'm currently in quarantine after being exposed

I would be freaking out! Props to you for being calm.

#4 ausername

ausername
  • 119 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 March 2020 - 04:31 PM

I am in my 30s in Oklahoma. I don't fear for myself so much as the others without access to transit, grocery, and medical assistance.The lack of timely response has been unsettling. Our governor was out at the bars Saturday and Sunday with his family - finally came on board with the state of emergency Monday. 

I am in the second largest metro in my state and stores are bare. 

We are in self quarantine since last Wednesday - as someone in our family is highly at risk due to current meds and her health - so we didn't want to risk it.

I have been out to get marijuana lol - that's the plan as it is  - everything else is stocked. Have to work on panic smoking lol

Thanks for creating the thread  - well wishes to you!

#5 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2020 - 09:57 AM

Are you scared at all? We're not quarantined, but we're more or less in self-drive isolation. We're in a place where it's being taken seriously, but not quite "lock it all down" level seriously as of now. Schools are closed, and restaurants are only supposed to do take out / delivery, that kind of thing. People here are still talking like it's going to be 2-3 weeks, but they're saying the peak may be 45 days or so away. 

I'm not scared at all no, I don't want to potentially endanger my loved ones or anyone really :) 

We have the same here, I was exposed to the virus but other people can still go through drive throughs, grocery shop and all the stuff but yes classes are cancelled here too! It really depends on spread where you are but they say most places are at least a couple months and then a summer lull and then probably a resurgence in the Autumn (that's what our health minister suggested anyway.)

I am home from college because the big city I go to school in has it, and the rural small town I am from doesn't...yet. I managed to get home right after the first case was announced in the metro area.

It is nice to be home (and see my dog and hear from my friends more regularly) but holy cow people are driving me nuts. The area I live in is pretty split between people that are taking it seriously, and people that STILL think it is just a joke. 2 days ago one of my best friends flew to Florida with his parents. He is in a high risk group. He has asthma and gets pneumonia super easily. His parents think it is all an overreaction.

I'm perfectly fine hanging out by myself and working on my art, catching up on video games (New Horizons is out soon yay!), but my mother gets stir-crazy and we don't have the best relationship so I'm about ready to jump out of a window. I'm excited to get my PC set back up and start ABing again.

I would be freaking out! Props to you for being calm.

It's so frustrating to try and be concerned for people who aren't even concerned for themselves!! 

Most areas are allowing people to go for walks so maybe your mom needs to go for one haha. I had to encourage some family members on facetime to do so and even a few minutes outdoors can help :)

What kind of art do you make? How long have you been at it? I've been painting more lately and it's definitely tranquil as heck. Also now that you mention it making another neopets account sounds great haha!!

I am in my 30s in Oklahoma. I don't fear for myself so much as the others without access to transit, grocery, and medical assistance.The lack of timely response has been unsettling. Our governor was out at the bars Saturday and Sunday with his family - finally came on board with the state of emergency Monday. 

I am in the second largest metro in my state and stores are bare. 

We are in self quarantine since last Wednesday - as someone in our family is highly at risk due to current meds and her health - so we didn't want to risk it.

I have been out to get marijuana lol - that's the plan as it is  - everything else is stocked. Have to work on panic smoking lol

Thanks for creating the thread  - well wishes to you!

I've found it so shocking how a lot of US officials have gone from 'hahaha this is a joke' to 'oh shit this is serious' sometimes, overnight!! Ugh.

That's really wonderful your family has come together in solidarity, my 79 year old grandparents are my biggest concern and they keep going out with church friends. Also I saw some photos of dispensaries with massive lines! Oregon I think declared they're an essential service so have to remain open! Wild times we live in. Enjoy your smoke ;) 

#6 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2020 - 10:33 AM

I'm still working at my office. Actually more isolated here than my apartment since everyone else was forced to work from home.

#7 DesertRose82

DesertRose82
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:42 AM

we are in lock down where i live. schools and shops are closed since Friday. i'm staying home as much as i can, going out only for grocery shopping. I'm in my 30's too so i'm not afraid for myself as much but i'm afraid for my loved ones

#8 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 March 2020 - 05:13 PM

I'm still working at my office. Actually more isolated here than my apartment since everyone else was forced to work from home.

Is there a lot of people in your office or does it feel very dead??

we are in lock down where i live. schools and shops are closed since Friday. i'm staying home as much as i can, going out only for grocery shopping. I'm in my 30's too so i'm not afraid for myself as much but i'm afraid for my loved ones

Do you have enough groceries?? It's good to hear people care about their families/friends so much :) 

#9 Esther

Esther
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 05:05 AM

It's good to hear people care about their families/friends so much  :) 

It really is. My neighbor and I are at complete opposite ends of the political spectrum (i could not BE more liberal), but we're very united on this. He went out yesterday to buy baby wipes and such for people who couldn't get them. I have a friend who started a job as a cashier at a grocery store like a week before this happened, and she posted a note for her neighbors in her multi-family that she can pick up stuff for them, if they need her to. On the flip side, she said some lady screamed at her because she was trying to get a discount from an old sale circular, and my friend couldn't give her the discount...

I worry how many people are going to die because of our governments "not taking this seriously" initial response. We wasted so much time.

#10 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:38 AM

It really is. My neighbor and I are at complete opposite ends of the political spectrum (i could not BE more liberal), but we're very united on this. He went out yesterday to buy baby wipes and such for people who couldn't get them. I have a friend who started a job as a cashier at a grocery store like a week before this happened, and she posted a note for her neighbors in her multi-family that she can pick up stuff for them, if they need her to. On the flip side, she said some lady screamed at her because she was trying to get a discount from an old sale circular, and my friend couldn't give her the discount...

I worry how many people are going to die because of our governments "not taking this seriously" initial response. We wasted so much time.

I've always felt like peoples sense of community has really trickled off in the last couple decades, I hardly know my neighbours at all! However this really shows just how much a community we're still a part of. I feel so sad for your cashier friend, having been a cashier when I was younger I can definitely empathize. It also shows just how essential grocers are and we need to treat everyone with respect and they deserve better working conditions!

A grocer here is adding plexiglass between cashiers and customers! 

I think numbers are never going to be exact or anywhere close because of the lax initial response and how few tests are being done. Heck some areas had deaths before they had any tested cases. 

Stay safe!!! 

#11 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:37 AM

Is there a lot of people in your office or does it feel very dead??

Our team has 4. 2 for desktop support. Basically turning on PCs for idiot users than turn them off while remote.

It's a 13 floor building. There's maybe 12 people here to keep things afloat. It's very nice and quiet. Cozy.

#12 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:57 PM

I’m fucking pissed lol. I feel like no one is taking this seriously. Last weekend my friends were inviting me to bars. But now the bars are closed so now they’re inviting me to house parties. Folks seriously refuse to stay home. They think because they’re young it doesn’t matter if they catch it.

#13 Phaeron

Phaeron
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:56 AM

I’m fucking pissed lol. I feel like no one is taking this seriously. Last weekend my friends were inviting me to bars. But now the bars are closed so now they’re inviting me to house parties. Folks seriously refuse to stay home. They think because they’re young it doesn’t matter if they catch it.

So long as you're young and truly healthy it really doesn't matter that much for you, the issue lies in that if one of those people end up contracting the virus they might transmit it to more vulnerable ppl around them.

#14 Esther

Esther
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 06:14 AM

I agree, it's selfish! You can be asymptomatic, but give it to someone who gives it to someone, who gives it to someone! Young people are getting sick, though. It seems like the early idea of "it only affects the old and unwell" has been disproven. Here's an article I read.

https://news.sky.com...ly-ill-11961000

#15 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 March 2020 - 10:02 AM

This!!!! I literally went fucking off on some idiots I unfortunately know because they have either said 'if you die you die' or 'it's just a bad cold' like fucking morons. I can't handle peoples idiocy. It also makes it worse for those workers who aren't allowed to stay home especially in Cali with your population. I saw the governor (i think it was the governor) say that 25 million Californians will get this. I literally did a double take. 

So long as you're young and truly healthy it really doesn't matter that much for you, the issue lies in that if one of those people end up contracting the virus they might transmit it to more vulnerable ppl around them.

There are young people who have had no underlying conditions and become very ill from this as well once you've had a moderate case of it you can get scarring on your lungs for years which makes you more susceptible to other illnesses. This is a misnomer going around and I was guilty of saying it at the beginning. 

I agree, it's selfish! You can be asymptomatic, but give it to someone who gives it to someone, who gives it to someone! Young people are getting sick, though. It seems like the early idea of "it only affects the old and unwell" has been disproven. Here's an article I read.

https://news.sky.com...ly-ill-11961000

I saw a video of an Italian hospital and it made me queasy to even watch it. So sad to see so many sick and they can't even have someone with them while they're so unwell. 

Here they've decided to allow one visitor at a time if someone is dying in a long term care home. So so sad. :( 

#16 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 March 2020 - 11:32 AM

It's a good thing I don't have friends to invite me out to places. 😏

#17 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 March 2020 - 12:02 PM

I'm stuck working from home for at least the next 2 weeks. Thankfully I work for a place that can weather the storm for a while.

I'm starting to go crazy from being indoors for so long though -_-

#18 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:06 PM

I'm starting to go crazy from being indoors for so long though -_-

My roommate was mentioning that our personal lives haven't changed since neither of us left the house except for work and groceries anyways. Must suck for those not used to hermit lifestyles.

#19 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:37 PM

I'm starting to feel scared now. Not for me, but for my country. As some of y'all know, we've got our own Trump ruling over us, and he might be more stupid than Trump. He REFUSES to accept how big of a deal this is, despite all the numbers. This monday he made an announcement saying we're overreacting and that people should go back to their normal lives because this only affects older people. Thankfully most of his voters are starting to realize how much of a dipshit he is, but that's not stopping people from listening to his bullshit and going out. We Do Not have the structure to take care of everyone at the same time. We Need this quarantine. It's not a fucking conspiracy to ruin our economy. It's real lives we're talking about.

I'm really mad. Really really mad.

Also I might have to join the forces despite still being an intern. I'm still waiting for my school's final decision. Either way I'll accept it without complaining (in fact I wish I was helping because I got used to the hospital routine and I miss it so fucking much).

#20 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:53 PM

I'm starting to feel scared now. Not for me, but for my country. As some of y'all know, we've got our own Trump ruling over us, and he might be more stupid than Trump. He REFUSES to accept how big of a deal this is, despite all the numbers. This monday he made an announcement saying we're overreacting and that people should go back to their normal lives because this only affects older people. Thankfully most of his voters are starting to realize how much of a dipshit he is, but that's not stopping people from listening to his bullshit and going out. We Do Not have the structure to take care of everyone at the same time. We Need this quarantine. It's not a fucking conspiracy to ruin our economy. It's real lives we're talking about.

I'm really mad. Really really mad.

Also I might have to join the forces despite still being an intern. I'm still waiting for my school's final decision. Either way I'll accept it without complaining (in fact I wish I was helping because I got used to the hospital routine and I miss it so fucking much).

Damn Swar that is so scary and definitely maddening to hear. I'm sure many of us have been watching from afar, I saw that certain cartel groups have imposed curfews because they know your 'elected' leader is a mad man. That really says something. As a healthcare worker you're so appreciated and I hope everything goes okay with the rest of your schooling. Please let us know and vent here anytime!!

This is 100% not a cold and not just for old people. 

#21 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:10 PM

Damn Swar that is so scary and definitely maddening to hear. I'm sure many of us have been watching from afar, I saw that certain cartel groups have imposed curfews because they know your 'elected' leader is a mad man. That really says something. As a healthcare worker you're so appreciated and I hope everything goes okay with the rest of your schooling. Please let us know and vent here anytime!!

This is 100% not a cold and not just for old people. 

Yea exactly! That should give you an idea of how out of touch with reality he is. At least all the other governors completely disagree with his ideas and no one is taking him seriously, except for the people who still support him (like some relatives of mine).

I really appreciate that! And I'll definitely keep everyone up to date here. I should (hopefully) know by Sunday if I'm staying home or not.

#22 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 March 2020 - 06:23 PM

Well, I had to shave my beard because as stretched as we are for n95 masks in the hospital, we are also limited on PAPRs and CAPRs. So now I look like a baby. And my face is cold. It hasnt hit my area super hard yet, in fact we just had our county's first death this week. But I am concerned not necessarily of getting it, but of spreading it. I am certain I have either already come into contact with it, or will in the next few days/week. I am getting emails (like 20) from all the hospitals in town with policy changes. But each of the hospitals have different policies and none of them make sense. One of them I have to get my temperature checked each time I walk in. Another has nothing. The third I work in has a giant pile-up of people asking you the symptom questions, so like 15-20 people are standing incredibly close together which defeats the whole fucking purpose.

Practically everyone I know is texting me somewhat constantly to ask my opinion. The amount of misinformation (in the US) is astounding. Like why in the fuck is there suddenly a toilet paper shortage?

Swar, how is it in Brazil, (youre in brazil right?) I imagine there isn't lots of testing going on, but do you feel it is running rampant? We are just about to start the typical flu season for you guys, right? And where are you in your medical training now? 

Padme, hows quarantine going? Are you done? Now just practically quarantined anyway with shelter in place, right? You stay healthy? Have toilet paper?

#23 chie

chie
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:14 PM

Hoping you're safe, OP!

Personally, it's been kind of hectic here. Everyone is staying indoors and the city has issued a state of emergency. There are still some naysayers who think everyone is overreacting, but the general population is pretty spooked out and staying home. Actually, that's what kickstarted me back into neopets for nostalgia with all this free time.

#24 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:19 AM

I'm essential and I work around elderly people - about 700 live where I work and about half of them are very high risk. We get screened every day when we come in, we have to wear masks 24/7, and we're not allowed to have any outside visitors. We don't have any cases, but I'm really hoping my coworkers are being smart.

#25 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 April 2020 - 12:27 PM

Hoping you're safe, OP!

Personally, it's been kind of hectic here. Everyone is staying indoors and the city has issued a state of emergency. There are still some naysayers who think everyone is overreacting, but the general population is pretty spooked out and staying home. Actually, that's what kickstarted me back into neopets for nostalgia with all this free time.

It's always nice to have an escape and I've seen a lot of people in my social circle going back to Neopets, even people I never knew played. 

I'm essential and I work around elderly people - about 700 live where I work and about half of them are very high risk. We get screened every day when we come in, we have to wear masks 24/7, and we're not allowed to have any outside visitors. We don't have any cases, but I'm really hoping my coworkers are being smart.

That's good they're being proactive before there are cases. Most of the deaths in our province have been in long term care facilities and it just seems to spread like wildfire. Glad you're staying safe :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users